Music Eurovision 2024

nimic

something nice
Scout
Has anyone actually had a big break and had a stellar career from eurovision in the last 20 years?
It's all relative. The Norwegian participants are Gåte, which were formed in 1999 (and then later took a very long break). They've active tourers, but they've been public about a good performance here (not even necessarily a win) giving them more opportunities. An example of a similar phenomenon could be Wig Wam, a glam metal/rock band whose song was used for the Peacemaker intro, which went viral. That's just an intro song for a TV series, but it suddenly meant they got offers to tour the US, for example.

Oh and for an actual example: ABBA. Edit: I just saw you said last 20 years. I haven't a clue.

Last edited:

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Lena is still successful and relevant in German speaking countries. Maneskin are extremely successful in all of Europe. They are headlining festivals this summer.
Cheers, was curious about other countries, given the UK has had so many no-hopers in recent years.

Must admit I've no clue how well known say Buck's Fizz and Sandie Sahw were pre-eurovision. Nor whether it had much bearing on the likes of Abba, Manfred Mann and Cliff Richard, who I assume were massive at the time anyway?

nimic

something nice
Scout
Cheers, was curious about other countries, given the UK has had so many no-hopers in recent years.

Must admit I've no clue how well known say Buck's Fizz and Sandie Sahw were pre-eurovision. Nor whether it had much bearing on the likes of Abba, Manfred Mann and Cliff Richard, who I assume were massive at the time anyway?
ABBA were formed in 1972 and won in 1974, and Waterloo was their first really big hit. I wasn't alive, so I couldn't tell you more than that, but it seems like Eurovision really did make ABBA ABBA.

Jippy

Staff
It's all relative. The Norwegian participants are Gåte, which were formed in 1999 (and then later took a very long break). They've active tourers, but they've been public about a good performance here (not even necessarily a win) giving them more opportunities. An example of a similar phenomenon could be Wig Wam, a glam metal/rock band whose song was used for the Peacemaker intro, which went viral. That's just an intro song for a TV series, but it suddenly meant they got offers to tour the US, for example.

Oh and for an actual example: ABBA. Edit: I just saw you said last 20 years. I haven't a clue.

I guess it is relative, just wondered if it's spawned more than novelty acts in recent years versus the heavyweights of the 70s.
That Wigwam 95 song deserved it for the outfits alone.

Jippy

Staff
ABBA were formed in 1972 and won in 1974, and Waterloo was their first really big hit. I wasn't alive, so I couldn't tell you more than that, but it seems like Eurovision really did make ABBA ABBA.
Yeah I wasn't alive either and didn't know that. I think Dancing Queen is my least favourite song of all time.

PSV

Has anyone actually had a big break and had a stellar career from eurovision in the last 20 years?
Level in Eurovision is so high this song was voted 20th in 2022. Now it has over a billion streams.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I just read that the Dutch singer is a Putin/Russia fan?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I just read that the Dutch singer is a Putin/Russia fan?
He made a song with a Russian band that came out shortly after the wat began, maybe it's that? He's not pro Putin at all. He has never said anything about the subject.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I guess it is relative, just wondered if it's spawned more than novelty acts in recent years versus the heavyweights of the 70s.
That Wigwam 95 song deserved it for the outfits alone.
The Dutch artist is already big in the Netherlands and Belgium, so he definitely was not there to make a name for himself.

He's actually just a big Eurovision fan: he was campaigning for himself to be the Dutch artist (there's no competition in the Netherlands anymore). It's rather sad how that played out - but it remains to be seen what kind of gesture he actually made, of course.

But while I'm going on tangents anyway: I have to say I'm fascinated by the decision to exclude an artist based on an accusation that remains to be confirmed, while Israel as a country can participate while it is being accused of war crimes(!!) (formally, at the International Court of Justice). The hypocrisy is really mind-blowing here.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Also, on YouTube, the live broadcast chat is being flooded with tons and tons of people writing 'Free Joost'. I wonder if they'll use their audience noise tech to block out audience chants of Europapa as well. Sounds just like the EBU, at this point.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
He made a song with a Russian band that came out shortly after the wat began, maybe it's that? He's not pro Putin at all. He has never said anything about the subject.
Just read that he collabed with a Russian band and performed there. All after the war had started. I didn‘t do any research on it. Just got sent a link.

Sylar

Kaarja just withdrew as the Finnish representative (who gives out the points), same as Alessandra. Not too surprising, given he ended his semi final appearance by shouting "stop war".
What a world we live in that stop war and ceasefire are seen as controversial

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Just read that he collabed with a Russian band and performed there. All after the war had started. I didn‘t do any research on it. Just got sent a link.
Yeah he did do a song with a band there shortly after the war started. Faved some backlash over it as well.

nimic

something nice
Scout
The Dutch just announced they aren't giving out jury points, which feels like a "EBU can feck off" move. Wouldn't be remotely surprised if they decide not to participate at all next year.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
In case it helps, here are two articles about that stuff:

https://wiwibloggs.com/2023/12/12/a...ackass-russian-song-controversy-brews/278685/
https://www.nu.nl/muziek/6293797/jo...usland-ruim-voor-inval-niet-pro-russisch.html (in Dutch)

In short, the collaboration happened before the war, with a band that turned against Putin and left Russia after Russia invaded Ukraine. Joost's lyrics also don't express any appreciation for Russia, it's just bullshitting about loving Russian women.

So there's nothing political about it really. To my knowledge, Joost has anyway never really made political statements about anything anyway.

Semper Fudge

Apt Tagline
In case it helps, here are two articles about that stuff:

https://wiwibloggs.com/2023/12/12/a...ackass-russian-song-controversy-brews/278685/
https://www.nu.nl/muziek/6293797/jo...usland-ruim-voor-inval-niet-pro-russisch.html (in Dutch)

In short, the collaboration happened before the war, with a band that turned against Putin and left Russia after Russia invaded Ukraine. Joost's lyrics also don't express any appreciation for Russia, it's just bullshitting about loving Russian women.

So there's nothing political about it really. To my knowledge, Joost has anyway never really made political statements about anything anyway.
Isn't the song he was performing for this very pro-Europe too? Which would be an odd choice for a Russian shill.