Music Eurovision 2024

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
:lol: they probably couldn’t endure having to listen his song again
Isn't that song literally exactly the kind of vibe usually associated with Eurovision?

It's certainly why I tune in.......

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Usually yes, but he’s trying too hard to be funny
How? The entire competition is cheesy as feck. Always has been.

He's bigging up the EU and talking about European unity, singing mostly in his native tongue but incorporating other European languages wearing silly costumes, it's catchy and involves a soppy back story about him and his parents.

It's literally the perfect Eurovision song.

As @nimic Said, it's perfect for Eurovision. If someone doesn't like it, I'd have to question what they're even watching Eurovision for.

Spark

Agree UK songs are usually shit …but it was BREXIT that done us
Haha what!? We came 2nd two years ago and last basically every year since 1997.

Edit: and rightfully so, we send the shittest tunes. Sam Ryder was the first time we put something good forward in years.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Disqualified, first time thats happened i believe. i reckon that will do his career no harm at all. no-one had heard of him before this now everybody knows of him. Well played Joost

Superunknown

He's bigging up the EU and talking about European unity, singing mostly in his native tongue but incorporating other European languages wearing silly costumes, it's catchy and involves a soppy back story about him and his parents.

As @nimic Said, it's perfect for Eurovision. If someone doesn't like it, I'd have to question what they're even watching Eurovision for.
Completely agree. It's a great tune that we've been listening to for weeks at our place. It's annoyingly catchy.

Massively disappointed the Netherlands are disqualified. There are questions that need urgent answers. He was a top contender to win.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

Edit: and rightfully so, we send the shittest tunes. Sam Ryder was the first time we put something good forward in years.
How did Blue do? They were quite a big band.

Wilt

Yes ”Spaceman“ was a great song, in fact it should have won, but think it was mainly due to Uk support of Ukraine that got us to 2nd

Laurencio

Completely agree. It's a great tune that we've been listening to for weeks at our place. It's annoyingly catchy.

Massively disappointed the Netherlands are disqualified. There are questions that need urgent answers. He was a top contender to win.
The semi-final stage show was fantastic. It's a real shame they aren't going to be competing. It had the potential to unite Europe behind a weird, silly and gloriously fun show. Now the Christian conversvative movements, aided by Russian voting interference, will probably manage to push Israel to the top.

nimic

something nice
Scout
The semi-final stage show was fantastic. It's a real shame they aren't going to be competing. It had the potential to unite Europe behind a weird, silly and gloriously fun show. Now the Christian conversvative movements, aided by Russian voting interference, will probably manage to push Israel to the top.
There's an attempted counter-push going on right now to get people to vote for Croatia to ensure that what you're saying doesn't happen. It honestly seems like the EBU wants it too, since they put them and other big favourites Switzerland at the end of the show, and put Israel at the beginning (usually worse for voting).

The EBU better hope it works, because if Israel wins it's going to be bad. It's going to be even worse if they actually intend to host the following year. That would be the end of Eurovision for sure.

pauldyson1uk

OK so what really happened , this is what I am reading.

Hours before the final, Dutch contestant Joost Klein was dramatically booted out by organizers over a backstage incident. He had failed to perform at two dress rehearsals on Friday, and contest organizer the European Broadcasting Union said it was investigating an “incident.”

The EBU said Swedish police were investigating “a complaint made by a female member of the production crew” and it would not be appropriate for Klein to participate while the legal process was underway.

Though rumors had been flying the incident was connected to Israel's delegation, organizers said the incident “did not involve any other performer or delegation member.”

nimic

something nice
Scout
OK so what really happened , this is what I am reading.

Hours before the final, Dutch contestant Joost Klein was dramatically booted out by organizers over a backstage incident. He had failed to perform at two dress rehearsals on Friday, and contest organizer the European Broadcasting Union said it was investigating an “incident.”

The EBU said Swedish police were investigating “a complaint made by a female member of the production crew” and it would not be appropriate for Klein to participate while the legal process was underway.

Though rumors had been flying the incident was connected to Israel's delegation, organizers said the incident “did not involve any other performer or delegation member.”
Nobody knows. It's been described as a "threat". The Dutch broadcaster has said the punishment is completely disproportional to what happened. I'm sure it'll come out sooner or later.

Eplel

Not completely true. It was gradually getting more and more ridiculous, but until Lordi won, chessy songs were usually faring really bad. Since then, cheesy has been a main ingredient in many wins, and many cheesy losers of the past would have easily won more recent competitions.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Not completely true. It was gradually getting more and more ridiculous, but until Lordi won, chessy songs were usually faring really bad. Since then, cheesy has been a main ingredient in many wins, and many cheesy losers of the past would have easily won more recent competitions.
Eh, what year exactly does your history of the Eurovision start in?

pauldyson1uk

Eurovision has ALWAYS been about chesse, well before Lordi won.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I’ve always thought Eurovision was less about cheese as it is a terrifying glimpse into an alternative reality music industry where black people never existed. Left unchecked this is just what white people will end up making. Emo ballads and kitchy club music with some occasional novelty heavy metal

nimic

something nice
Scout
I’ve always thought Eurovision was less about cheese as it is a terrifying glimpse into an alternative reality music industry where black people never existed. Left unchecked this is just what white people will end up making. Emo ballads and kitchy club music.
You're just a hater. Stop hating.

Hater.

nimic

something nice
Scout
On the contrary, I think it provides a valuable service promoting the benefits of cultural appropriation.
We appropriated a bit of Irish culture when we won in 1995. Well, we appropriated an Irish person.

Edit: actually, that guitar-ish instrument the one woman holds makes an appearance in our entry this year too.

PSV

Edit: actually, that guitar-ish instrument the one woman holds makes an appearance in our entry this year too.
Don't let anyone know that's a Swedish instrument.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Don't let anyone know that's a Swedish instrument.
Oh we know. Though whether it's actually originally Swedish is not completely certain. History and culture are messy.

Most of the arch-Norwegian bunad, the national dress, were designed and created in the 19th or even 20th centuries.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
The real winners, like every year, are the countries that aren't participating. Congrats to them!

Sylar

It's why I watch. Love the cheese and catchiness for some of the otherwise lame songs which I probably will never listen to again.

Though I was glad hard rock, hallelujah won

Withnail

I just remember a whole generation being scarred by that advert implying the whole song was an Out of Space like club banger only realise it was some weird emo rubbish
I think it was on Top of Pops I saw the full version for the first time. The bit where it slows down and this absolute dirge begins with that goon singing nonsense was so very disappointing.

Last edited:

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I think it was on Top of Pops I saw the full version for the first time. The bit where it slows down and this absolute dirge begins with that goon singing nonsense was so very disappointed.
I was gonna say that disappointment single-handedly ended the ‘Levi’s ad to No1 pipeline’ but then I remembered Flat Beat came out after it. Bombastic remains the high point.