Evan Ferguson - Top Irish Prospect

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Yeah, I guess so. Although there are plenty of Irish footballers over the years who got to play in Euros/World Cups.

Anyhoo. This is all a bit of a moot point. Choosing which country to play for is usually based on deeper emotions than the sort of cynical decision that Grealish made. And, to be fair to him, being born and raised in England will have made him feel a hell of a lot more English than Ferguson ever will. Players will typically only be opportunistic re international teams when they’ve no hope of international football otherwise. This doesn’t apply here and there’s basically no chance of Ferguson choosing to play for a country that he doesn’t identify with.

Yeah definitely agree in this case with Ferguson it is a moot point. He is very clearly Irish, born and raised there and so will obviously have strong ties. I think it is completely possible to feel a part of two different countries but in his case the supposed benefit of playing for England would not outweigh any negatives.

Nick7

Eoin Morgan. He has an English mother as well.

Honestly I don't think you have anything to worry about concerning Ferguson. I don't see him picking England whatsoever as he is quite clearly Irish. It was obviously different with Rice and Grealish as their links were nominal and rarely go back to Ireland.
Not in football that I know of. Captained England to a World Cup and masterminded an entire ethos change in another sport though…
Oh I know all about that turncoat :mad:

was more asking with regards to football. I don’t think there is.

BerryBerryShrew

If he’s got an English mother though he’s half English.

Can see why he’d go with his mum. Both head and heart.

Could go either way but I’m sure he’ll be advised to have the conversation with England.
You might be right of course. And I don't want to make it seem like I'm indignant about England being a better option- of course they are, by a distance.

But most Irish people would choose not playing international football at all rather than winning a WC with England. There's too much history there. Maybe Ferguson is the exception, but it would be incredibly unlikely IMO. It's like expecting a Palestinian to represent Israel because they are a better footballing nation. It might happen, but it is a long shot.

Amazing Santos

He's the real deal. It's the sort of time for a new England striker to be born out of nothing.

Nick7

Nice! He was rated in Ireland as a very young player. I saw an article about how Brighton went in as early as possible with him and how they scout Ireland now the bigger clubs seem to be concentrating their efforts elsewhere. Must see if I can dig it up. Let’s hope he can keep the momentum going!!
well, they just signed another Bohs youngster

Withnail

I'd say he's fairly nailed down to play in the next competitive games unless he has his head turned for some reason.
If he's scoring goals in the PL, he'll play the next game deffo.

I was impressed with his goal against Arsenal. He took a lovely touch to allow himself to finish through the keeper's legs. He showed a lot of composure.

RedCurry

Don’t know about the “like Haaland” part, but he doesn’t lack anything in terms of pace..

Idxomer

Look an interesting talent and considering the dearth of true strikers right now, he could be worth 100m in a couple of seasons.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s a handful, looks very good

Gee Male

Lovely assist today. Keeping up is 1G+A/start in the league so far. If Weghorst turns out a success then this lad should be on our radar in the summer.
I actually think he needs to be on our radar earlier. He is very likely to start for Ireland against France at the end of March, and it's not outlandish to think about what a goal and performance there might do to his valuation.

I think he has great potential. With Bazunu and Collins at the back and this guy up top, can things be looking up for Ireland?

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Sign him up.

Three goals and two assists since his debut three weeks ago.

AndersB

Would love for us to go for him

He's got the drive
He's got the age
He's got the name

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
This kid (in a man’s body) has all the attributes to be a really really top striker. He reminds me of a bit of Alan Shearer.

I think it’s best (from an Irish perspective) that he stays at Brighton for a couple of seasons though.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Ridiculously excited by this guy. Shearer like header today, has the strength at barely 18 to hold off seasoned premier league defenders, decision making looks great, super cool finisher and surrounded by a great, down to earth family set up. Much as I'd love to see him at United, he's in the perfect place right now. He's getting his chances learning his trade and de Zerbi loves him.

BerryBerryShrew

Thankfully from an Irish perspective, Brighton would price him out of a move now or in the summer. He's in the perfect place to develop.

RPT_Reddevil

Reminded me of Kane from his early days. Still a log way to go but exciting prospect for sure.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
So who does he support? United or Liverpool.
Scrolled through his liked tweets.
1. Wasn't expecting to see a penis there
2. From his likes he's either possibly a United fan or really likes Rashford and Fernandes.

Some of his liked tweets:

CM

I do like the look of this kid. He's getting involved in the goals and plays like a player far beyond his years already. The header he scored earlier was very impressive.

MiceOnMeth

Irelands been crying out for a centre forward since Robbie Keane let's pray this lad is the real deal

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I think that is true to an extent for club football though would Antony right now be preferring to be at back at Ajax with a guaranteed spot or in and out of the United side. Where you play and who you play for matters more I would say.

For International football it gets complicated because you could be in a World Cup squad with potential to play or just sat at home because your team can't qualify, I would say the former is better.
In some cases it's just be able to play international football, McTominay is an example, he was born in Lancaster but chose Scotland because he presumably knew he was never good enough to play for England

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
In some cases it's just be able to play international football, McTominay is an example, he was born in Lancaster but chose Scotland because he presumably knew he was never good enough to play for England
Apparently McTominay wanted to play for Scotland ever since he was a young boy. I suspect his Dad & Grandad had a strong influence.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Apparently McTominay wanted to play for Scotland ever since he was a young boy. I suspect his Dad & Grandad had a strong influence.
I'm sure they did and he probably did, but there are plenty of players who have chosen the same way, Roy Keane's pet hate was a certain 'plastic: Irishman (a polite version of what he would have called him)