Evan Ferguson - Top Irish Prospect

cyberman

In some cases it's just be able to play international football, McTominay is an example, he was born in Lancaster but chose Scotland because he presumably knew he was never good enough to play for England
There was a lot of good will around Scott when he choose Scotland. Englands midfield was Henderson, Lingard and Dele back then.
Even now he’d get in the squad, that may be good enough for Grealish but it’s not club football. Sometimes you just want to play for your country t(weird concept I know)

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
And Japan? Where did you guys pull Mitoma from?
We bought him for 2.5 from his home town club in Japan and then loaned him to USG in Belgium.

He was voted player of the season in the J League that year and his team won the J League. I’m surprised lots of clubs didn’t take a punt on him to be honest.He certainly wasn’t unknown in scouting circles.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
We bought him for 2.5 from his home town club in Japan and then loaned him to USG in Belgium.

He was voted player of the season in the J League that year and his team won the J League. I’m surprised lots of clubs didn’t take a punt on him to be honest.He certainly wasn’t unknown in scouting circles.
I see. Guess others clubs were looking elsewhere. Arsenal right now is very Brazil focussed. We used our punt money on Martinelli, which tbf didn't turn to be a bad investment. Not that we don't look at Japan, ryo miyaichi, Asano, were some of our punts that didn't work out. Tomiyasu is doing well for us though.

dinostar77

I see. Guess others clubs were looking elsewhere. Arsenal right now is very Brazil focussed. We used our punt money on Martinelli, which tbf didn't turn to be a bad investment. Not that we don't look at Japan, ryo miyaichi, Asano, were some of our punts that didn't work out. Tomiyasu is doing well for us though.
He had four trials at Man Utd. Unbelievable that someone didnt see the potential.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
He certainly takes the sting out of losing Trossard in the same way we were ok losing Bissouma because we knew Caicedo was coming through.

Thiagoal

Watching him play reminds me very much of Harry Kane. Quick feet, great strength and clinical! Sign him up ETH. Him and the real Kane this summer would be fantastic (if unrealistic)

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Brighton had a good pipeline from Ireland for a long time through John Morling their former academy manager, who used to coach a few Irish youth teams. Getting the likes of Molumby and Connolly to make the first team there means they keep looking, not a lot of clubs above League One actually scout in LOI but it's gotten Brighton not only Ferguson, but Andrew Moran, James Furlong and now Jamie Mullins as well.

Dannn411

Kid is 18 and plays like he's a veteran. He has a very bright future ahead of him. Would like for us to test Brighton with a bid in the summer. I'm sure we will have to pay over the odds but it may well be worth it down the line. He looks like the complete package.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
He had four trials at Man Utd. Unbelievable that someone didnt see the potential.
Right? Scouting is probably the hardest thing in football, props to Brighton for getting theirs right. Most clubs(Chelsea) prefer to just buy players that they know someone else has scouted for them.

Reynoldo

I’d love for him to stay at Brighton and develop (from an Irish perspective) but if he continues the way he’s been going (or even close to it) for the rest of the season and, as someone else said, maybe scores in his international debut then there will be too much hype around him for someone not to buy him.

The clever thing to do would be to buy now with a guaranteed very long loan spell at Brighton.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Has he got any English grandparents?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Reminded me of Kane from his early days. Still a log way to go but exciting prospect for sure.
How early? Because Kane always looked pretty crap before his breakout season at like 22 or whatever.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
This guy might be able to aid you.

He’s got a point. Generally speaking, history will tell you that when the English prosper so do the Irish.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
There was a lot of good will around Scott when he choose Scotland. Englands midfield was Henderson, Lingard and Dele back then.
Even now he’d get in the squad, that may be good enough for Grealish but it’s not club football. Sometimes you just want to play for your country t(weird concept I know)
I don't hhink it's a weird concept, but if you think McT would get in the England squad now I'll have some of what you''re smoking!

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Kid is 18 and plays like he's a veteran. He has a very bright future ahead of him. Would like for us to test Brighton with a bid in the summer. I'm sure we will have to pay over the odds but it may well be worth it down the line. He looks like the complete package.
I’d love for him to stay at Brighton and develop (from an Irish perspective) but if he continues the way he’s been going (or even close to it) for the rest of the season and, as someone else said, maybe scores in his international debut then there will be too much hype around him for someone not to buy him.

The clever thing to do would be to buy now with a guaranteed very long loan spell at Brighton.
Yeah, there's gonna be a lot of this kind of talk from now on if he keeps this up -

TIM SHERWOOD SENDS TRANSFER MESSAGE TO NEWCASTLE ABOUT ‘COMPLETE’ TEEN EVAN FERGUSON
https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2023/01/...-newcastle-about-complete-teen-evan-ferguson/

cyberman

I don't hhink it's a weird concept, but if you think McT would get in the England squad now I'll have some of what you''re smoking!
I’m sure he would, it’s not as if there’s so many top midfielders that keeps him out.
Fat boy Kalvin Philips? Conor Gallagher? This Henderson? Wouldn’t he be a natural replacement for Henderson in the squad?
Doesn’t matter anyway, he didn’t make his choice on what the squad is today in 2023

Sweet Square

but if you think McT would get in the England squad now I'll have some of what you''re smoking!
Your right in terms of ability but Garth Barry has 53 caps for England, that’s more than Michael Carrick(34)and only 13 less than Paul Scholes.

Mct would get a lot of minutes for England mostly because he is a bit meh. For whatever reason it’s a national team that loves to not play it’s best players.

Brophs

The One and Only
I'm sort of split. On the one hand, as an Irishman, I could really do with us unearthing a genuinely PL class striker. On the other hand, @Pogue Mahone could be absolutely insufferable if actually gets one of these threads right.

macheda14

We haven’t had an Irish player for a while, a United squad feels empty without one. For that reason alone I’d love him here.

Bojan Djordjic

He's not at United level yet. Saw him play U21 for Ireland earlier this year and he was by no means a standout player at that level. Definitely better to see him develop with a great young coach and team at Brighton and see if he can continue to impress over a larger sample period. As an Irish fan who has seen a few false dawns with Parrot, Idah and Connolly, Ferguson doesn't look any more talented than say Parrott did coming through youth ranks but he seems like he's got his head screwed on and hopefully he can avoid injuries.

Bojan Djordjic

Your right in terms of ability but Garth Barry has 53 caps for England, that’s more than Michael Carrick(34)and only 13 less than Paul Scholes.

Mct would get a lot of minutes for England mostly because he is a bit meh. For whatever reason it’s a national team that loves to not play it’s best players.
Gareth Barry was a much better player than Scot McTominay is.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He is related to another Ferguson who had a stint with Man Utd reserves in the sixties. Fun fact.

Sweet Square

Gareth Barry was a much better player than Scot McTominay is.
The point isn’t that McTominay is as good or better than Gareth Barry(He isn’t) but that quality doesn’t means much for England caps.

Clearly Barry was never better than Carrick or only slightly worse than Scholes.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Brighton had a good pipeline from Ireland for a long time through John Morling their former academy manager, who used to coach a few Irish youth teams. Getting the likes of Molumby and Connolly to make the first team there means they keep looking, not a lot of clubs above League One actually scout in LOI but it's gotten Brighton not only Ferguson, but Andrew Moran, James Furlong and now Jamie Mullins as well.
Moran looks a great player as well he’s the next Irish lad I have high hopes for.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Has he got any English grandparents?
Not going to happen I’m afraid - he’s as Irish as Guinness and wouldn’t choose to play for England if we were the last country on Earth.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He is a proper forward, really good prospect. Would love him at United for sure.

But feck off England, he's wearing the Green for life.

Bojan Djordjic

Moran looks a great player as well he’s the next Irish lad I have high hopes for.
Definitely needs a loan though. Can't see him breaking into that Brighton midfield with all the worldies they're pulling out of nowhere.

Bojan Djordjic

Definitely needs a loan though. Can't see him breaking into that Brighton midfield with all the worldies they're pulling out of nowhere.

It was interesting when Ferguson scored his first league goal, one of his former youth coaches went viral with a tweet saying that Ferguson was the most complete forward he'd ever seen. Someone else asked him about Andy Moran in the replies and he said that he was the best *player* he'd ever worked with.