g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Evan Ferguson - Top Irish Prospect

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Gut feeling here that united will end up with this kid in the future.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He's too talented to be wasting his international career with Ireland. He should apply to FIFA to get special dispensation and switch to England. It's only fair on the lad.
Nah he'd get far more joy from firing Ireland to a World cup and them getting to knock outs than being a squad player with England.

Stacks

Why is he worth it? How many 18 year olds do you know who look and play like fully grown men and can hold their own the PL? Let alone score hattricks and lead the line on their own.

I believe we signed Rooney after he made over 60 appearances for Everton and scored a meagre 15 goals. Hardly a great couple of seasons is it? But you knew he had something. Should we have waited to see if he fulfilled his potential? Maybe let him join Newcastle first then make a bid in a couple of years when it was beyond doubt?

When players like this come along you sign them if you can, you don't wait around to see if they become an Mbappe. You think we're first choice if City, Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern etc come knocking? Look at where Bellingham is right now, you probably thought the same when we were trying to sign him at the age of 16.

We can feck around all we want with players like Mount, DVB, Sancho, Antony etc but none of them have what the likes of this lad has.
Plenty. He is far from the 1st player to start in the premier league at 18. Rashford was doing this in 2016.
The hattrick really was not that spectacular. tap in, deflection and a pretty good strike. He is not leading the line, he came off the bench in their first 2 games and started only 10 premier league games last season. Hardly leading the line.

United did not sign Rooney until end of August. I cannot even remember us being linked with him before then but he had just proven himself the best player in the Euro championships which is where he arrived to the world and even Henry and French players were raving about him. That's why the bidding war started with us and Newcastle. Ferguson is a rotation player for Brighton who scored a fairly unspectacular hatrick vs Newcastle and he is £100 million all of a sudden? The hype is real

crossy1686

career ending
Plenty. He is far from the 1st player to start in the premier league at 18. Rashford was doing this in 2016.
The hattrick really was not that spectacular. tap in, deflection and a pretty good strike. He is not leading the line, he came off the bench in their first 2 games and started only 10 premier league games last season. Hardly leading the line.

United did not sign Rooney until end of August. I cannot even remember us being linked with him before then but he had just proven himself the best player in the Euro championships which is where he arrived to the world and even Henry and French players were raving about him. That's why the bidding war started with us and Newcastle. Ferguson is a rotation player for Brighton who scored a fairly unspectacular hatrick vs Newcastle and he is £100 million all of a sudden? The hype is real
And how much do you think Rashford is worth?

GMoore23

He's too talented to be wasting his international career with Ireland. He should apply to FIFA to get special dispensation and switch to England. It's only fair on the lad.
England wasted enough talent without trying to steal the little Ireland has.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Name them.

Stacks

Name them.
already did in the post. Rashford, who also played alongside Januzaj who was starting at 18 just 2 seasons before. And this was Man Utd a bigger club where it is less likely for younger players to get those chances. Da Silva Brothers at Utd. Ronaldo, Giggs, Phil Jones, Luke Shaw (still going with the United trend), Greenwood.....

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
already did in the post. Rashford, who also played alongside Januzaj who was starting at 18 just 2 seasons before. And this was Man Utd a bigger club where it is less likely for younger players to get those chances. Da Silva Brothers at Utd. Ronaldo, Giggs, Phil Jones, Luke Shaw (still going with the United trend), Greenwood.....
Ronaldo and Giggs aside perhaps…the rest you’ve mentioned looked and played like full grown men at 18? I don’t think so.

Tarrou

pretty sure he qualifies for England anyway

Hughes35

If I had to look deep in my crystal ball, he will have another 3 seasons at Brighton and then go to City at the age of 21, to replace Haaland who has gone to Real Madrid.

Loftus Road Lad

Supports
QPR
Looks a really exciting talent. Pleased to see Ireland having some good young talent coming through. If him and Sinclair Armstrong keep developing then they have the potential to be a dangerous forward line for the irish. Would have been a good team if they had managed to hold on to Rice and Grealish aswell.

next_number_seven

Looks a really exciting talent. Pleased to see Ireland having some good young talent coming through. If him and Sinclair Armstrong keep developing then they have the potential to be a dangerous forward line for the irish. Would have been a good team if they had managed to hold on to Rice and Grealish aswell.
Bellingham and James Madison could also play for Ireland.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Interested to know what you make of him?

saik

If I had to look deep in my crystal ball, he will have another 3 seasons at Brighton and then go to City at the age of 21, to replace Haaland who has gone to Real Madrid.
If I had to look at my FM saves, he will join City in a couple of years to perpetually be Haaland's backup while Alvarez leaves to do the tour of Italian clubs. :lol:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Your first paragraph is really odd. Do you know what “leading the line” means? It’s another way of saying someone is playing as a centre forward. Which is what he does.

As for the hype, that started long before this hat trick. He’s started 12 top flight matches and scored 10 top flight goals. Can you name the last 18 year old who had stats to match those?

Stacks

Your first paragraph is really odd. Do you know what “leading the line” means? It’s another way of saying someone is playing as a centre forward. Which is what he does.

As for the hype, that started long before this hat trick. He’s started 12 top flight matches and scored 10 top flight goals. Can you name the last 18 year old who had stats to match those?
Rashford possibly. I get you are Irish so you may have a slight bias here. He has scored in 4 of his starts so its a really small sample. Scores more frequently off the bench.

I like him. He's got a bit of James Beattie in him

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Some of you are clueless.

If Harry Kane is worth £90m at 30 years old then an 18 year old with a better goals and assists record per 90 minutes in a Premier League than him is going to be worth £200m+.
The way you think about money, mate, I am worried for you going into a local convenience store and getting taken advantage of. :)

Take care out there, it is a cruel world ;)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Rashford possibly. I get you are Irish so you may have a slight bias here. He has scored in 4 of his starts so its a really small sample. Scores more frequently off the bench.

I like him. He's got a bit of James Beattie in him
Ferguson's goal-scoring record is already superior to Rashford. Rashford had made 43 PL appearances - and was a year older than Ferguson is now - by the time he had scored 10 PL goals.

Loftus Road Lad

Supports
QPR
Interested to know what you make of him?
Love him, super strong and rapid with a likeable personality. Currently developing and plays at 100% which means he is knackered after 60 mins and needs to be subbed off with cramp, but it's 60 minutes of excitement most of the time. Barring injuries, he will be a Premier League player in the next couple of years. Just needs a bit more luck, stamina and for his finishing to improve a bit. Has all the tools.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
what is looking and playing like a full grown man though? its a bit subjective no. Do you mean played maturely for their age etc?
I took it to mean playing with a maturity and certain level of accomplishment way beyond his years.
Love him, super strong and rapid with a likeable personality. Currently developing and plays at 100% which means he is knackered after 60 mins and needs to be subbed off with cramp, but it's 60 minutes of excitement most of the time. Barring injuries, he will be a Premier League player in the next couple of years. Just needs a bit more luck, stamina and for his finishing to improve a bit. Has all the tools.
Cheers. Who would you compare him with? (I’ve only seen snippets)

Redstain

Never going to happen for the same reason Osimhen didn't. Club don't have the resources to compete in the market for the player (Glazers wonderful) and come end of the season other positions will need reinforcement.

lsd

The Oracle
Hopefully our next manager can bring him with him when he takes the job

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
It's hard to see him staying at Brighton another three years if he keeps developing at this pace.

I think he leaves next summer or maybe the following summer for a pretty astronomical fee in the 120-150m range.

gajender

How about we buy the Brighton recruitment department instead
Yes that's going pretty well at Chelsea and let's revisit Brighton's story in next couple of years they have done well so far but let's see how they fare when they start spending slightly more for their signings and have greater expectations than just surviving .

LochGormanAbú

Supports
Liverpool

He had an injury preseason so was not fully fit to start the season, he is absolutely their #1 striker now when fit. He may not start some lesser games which would be understandable especially at his age, don't want to flog him like a lot of young players were previously.

I would also suggest that if you have seen a lot more of his play than an 'unspectacular' hattrick, you'd have far more appreciation of his game and abilities.

whitbyviking

what is looking and playing like a full grown man though? its a bit subjective no. Do you mean played maturely for their age etc?
Seems a strange thing to praise a player over. Football is historically littered with players who represented county teams and get picked up by clubs at ages 14-18 because they had matured quicker than everyone else and run over the top of their age group. Once everyone catches up they quickly fall off because they just aren’t good enough without the physical advantage. Not saying this is Ferguson, just calling out the general point that playing like a man is such a thing to focus on.

I think in the game these days you need to be smart as a forward, movement off the ball and the ability to bring the wide forwards/number 10s into the game is so important that without it you’ll never play for the top teams.

CM

Rashford at 18 had nowhere near the level of physicality that Evan Ferguson does now. It took a lot longer for Rashford to look like a man in that sense. Rooney had it.

Brighton have decided to rotate Ferguson's minutes with Welbeck as a way of managing him but that doesn't mean he isn't capable of being the main man for them up there. He looks ready for it. I'm sure he will be starting the majority of games for them by Christmas, barring injury.

LochGormanAbú

Supports
Liverpool
Seems a strange thing to praise a player over. Football is historically littered with players who represented county teams and get picked up by clubs at ages 14-18 because they had matured quicker than everyone else and run over the top of their age group. Once everyone catches up they quickly fall off because they just aren’t good enough without the physical advantage. Not saying this is Ferguson, just calling out the general point that playing like a man is such a thing to focus on.
He's not running over youth teams he may have had a physical advantage over, he's running over experienced top level footballers and at his age you would imagine he has so much more to improve on.