Everton deducted 10 points for PSR breach (reduced to 6) | Deducted further 2 points for second breach

city-puma

I agree. Physically he's going to struggle at times but with Onana beside him that's nothing to worry about too much as he's a giant. Also Garner is technically very capable so it's going to be fun to see how far he can go.
An aspect of Garner is that he has eyes on tempo control. Saw it quite often in that game even though we somehow ended up winning 3 nil. 24 vs 9 shots!!!

C'est Moi Cantona

Good get them punished, it makes it all the more unlikely that City won't be flushed down the plug hole when the time comes.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Good. At the same time the perfect opportunity to relegate 5 teams. Flush down all the dross and move to 18 team league.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don't understand how we would be guilty in this 3 year cycle if the PL has been monitoring us for a while now.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
I fully expect us to get some form of punishment but the circumstances of the so-called “Profit and sustainability“ rule is a farce. Essentially, we could have sold Johnson for £30m to Brentford at the start of the window and be in compliance or as we did, sell at the end of the window for £47m which is adjudged to be after the deadline. Some how this is promoting sustainability!! Nuts. We are already getting penalised for being a newly promoted club giving us significantly less wiggle room in terms of permissible losses.

That being said, we are using the “Everton defence“ of, we kept the FA fully informed of what we were doing re Johnson and why so yes, we’ll get a penalty. feck it, we’ll just have to win some more kicky ball matches.

Chipper

Adulterer.
A 10 point deduction would relegate Forest which would be really unfair on Nuno Espirito Santo considering he has done nothing wrong.
Dyche has done nothing wrong at Everton. No manager current or past, or anyone who is employed by the club from players to coaches, gardeners to cleaners did anything wrong apart from those who handle the finances.

GazTheLegend

If Chelsea, Wolves and City aren't punished after this, I'd be rioting at Forest and Everton. I'm not hugely surprised - genuinely, the sustainability rules whole raison d'etre is to protect clubs like Forest and stop them doing a Leeds/Portsmouth - but to allow other clubs to flout the rules at the same time is what feels like the biggest kick in the teeth.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
If Chelsea, Wolves and City aren't punished after this, I'd be rioting at Forest and Everton. I'm not hugely surprised - genuinely, the sustainability rules whole raison d'etre is to protect clubs like Forest and stop them doing a Leeds/Portsmouth - but to allow other clubs to flout the rules at the same time is what feels like the biggest kick in the teeth.
The rules are stupid.

That's why we keep selling academy players. It's a way of circumventing them pretty much.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I fully expect us to get some form of punishment but the circumstances of the so-called “Profit and sustainability“ rule is a farce. Essentially, we could have sold Johnson for £30m to Brentford at the start of the window and be in compliance or as we did, sell at the end of the window for £47m which is adjudged to be after the deadline. Some how this is promoting sustainability!! Nuts. We are already getting penalised for being a newly promoted club giving us significantly less wiggle room in terms of permissible losses.

That being said, we are using the “Everton defence“ of, we kept the FA fully informed of what we were doing re Johnson and why so yes, we’ll get a penalty. feck it, we’ll just have to win some more kicky ball matches.
I do think that we have both been badly run. I said it before but it's shite management of a club to get into a state where you need to enter a summer and have to buy 20ish players. That's all on Forest, same as it being shite management of a club from us that we were in a position handing 100k contracts to players that were in no way deserving of them at all. I do however think that it's odd that in both cases each club has been in communication with the PL/FA about financial and transfer activity which makes it all a little odd.

Anyway, I feel like our excuses and mitigation are fairly valid (albeit we shouldn't have got into the state where we ened to make excuses).. re- covid, new stadium, foreign war etc. that have directly impacted the club. Forest have just come in and spunked money up the wall with no real excuse during that period.

They're not going to step in to stop you spending beyond your means though are they, just tell you when you have.
They should be, as that was the whole point of them monitoring our transfer activity for the last few windows. We wouldn't have been able to make signings without their say so. The fact that we have makes it all a bit odd unless either us or them are telling porkies and I don't have faith in the board of my club or the PL/FA so who knows what to believe.

RuudTom83

Some great points raised here…I too feel sorry for Nuno! he hasn’t broken any FFP laws!

Justice4Nuno ;)

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
I said it before but it's shite management of a club to get into a state where you need to enter a summer and have to buy 20ish players
We came up with a 1st team squad of (iir) 7 players. Stupid Forest for buying loads of players! Should we have thrown the last few games to avoid promotion?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
We came up with a 1st team squad of (iir) 7 players. Stupid Forest for buying loads of players! Should we have thrown the last few games to avoid promotion?
I just said that it's bad management of a club to get into a state where you are like that. Unless you think it's good management to reach a point where you only have 7 first team players?

Last edited:

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
if everton are found guilty once more, is it time to consider booting them out of the league? you’ve got clubs like city who had to sell their very souls to survive. teams like city who had to leave any shred of dignity behind and beg for money from brutal regimes and states to get by in these tough times. and then you’ve got clubs like everton, spending money like it’s going out of fashion, flouting rules and acting like they’re above any kind of recrimination. i wouldn’t be surprised to see proper clubs like city and newcastle walking away from the game, if clubs like everton are allowed to get away with this.

NotThatSoph

The rules are stupid.

That's why we keep selling academy players. It's a way of circumventing them pretty much.
It's really not, over time selling an academy player the same effect on FFP as selling any other player.

Brophs

The One and Only
How many points did they fine them for paying £50m for Sigurdsson?

MegadrivePerson

This makes it a bit of a farce. Once the season has finished, any points deductions must be for the following season.

"The Athletic revealed that the league have identified May 24 as a backstop date for any appeal which raises the prospect of clubs completing their league season on May 19 while not knowing their final league position or even what division they may be playing in for the following campaign."

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
I just said that it's bad management of a club to get into a state where you are like that. Unless you think it's good management to reach a point where you only have 7 first team players?
Welcome to life in the Championship. You have use the 5 loans to get anywhere close promotion. Add you that, should we have told Grabban he wasn’t allowed to retire or Sambas Mrs she can't go back to France? We had a tight squad even for the Champ something like 16 player. Take out five loans, 2 who wanted to leave for personal reasons and a retirement. We would have had to spend even if we hadn’t gone up. So no it wasn’t bad management in anyway, it’s the reality of FFP inthe champ and having to compete with parachute payment clubs.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Welcome to life in the Championship. You have use the 5 loans to get anywhere close promotion. Add you that, should we have told Grabban he wasn’t allowed to retire or Sambas Mrs she can't go back to France? We had a tight squad even for the Champ something like 16 player. Take out five loans, 2 who wanted to leave for personal reasons and a retirement. We would have had to spend even if we hadn’t gone up. So no it wasn’t bad management in anyway, it’s the reality of FFP inthe champ and having to compete with parachute payment clubs.
This makes it a bit of a farce. Once the season has finished, any points deductions must be for the following season.

"The Athletic revealed that the league have identified May 24 as a backstop date for any appeal which raises the prospect of clubs completing their league season on May 19 while not knowing their final league position or even what division they may be playing in for the following campaign."
There shouldn't be points deductions during seasons, at least in regards to something like this due to the mental impact it can have on players and clubs.

I don't really think you'll win me over with any argument that says that what Forest had to do is anything other than bad club management to get into the state that you were when you got promoted. It was a fantastic achievement but no club should get into the realm where they have only 7 first team players unless you're in non-league. I'd make sure that if there were players retiring or mitigating circumstances regarding some players I had a decent enough squad size to mean that it isn't as much of a hit. In the age of FFP it's absolute madness to get into that mess as if you then have to spend spend spend in a short time frame you are fecked as we have seen.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
There shouldn't be points deductions during seasons, at least in regards to something like this due to the mental impact it can have on players and clubs.

I don't really think you'll win me over with any argument that says that what Forest had to do is anything other than bad club management to get into the state that you were when you got promoted. It was a fantastic achievement but no club should get into the realm where they have only 7 first team players unless you're in non-league. I'd make sure that if there were players retiring or mitigating circumstances regarding some players I had a decent enough squad size to mean that it isn't as much of a hit. In the age of FFP it's absolute madness to get into that mess as if you then have to spend spend spend in a short time frame you are fecked as we have seen.
Without this dragging on on what is off topic - Neither Grabs nor Samba let the club no they wanted to leave until after the season was done. We also made serious efforts to resign 3 of the loans. Other than that, we had a handful of academy / young players that would have been fine in the Champ but were never going to cope in the Prem. Unless you are intimately aware of the minutiae of a clubs business it’s too easy to criticise

Eric_the_Red99

I think it’s only fair that the points deducted from Everton and Forest get given to City - the model of sustainability and integrity in professional sport….

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Apparently our arguments basically boil down to stadium loans. We have notoriously cut down our spending and have sold quite high in recent years (Richy, Gordon, Iwobi etc.)