Explosions at Boston Marathon

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
i understand its alot to take in but shes ranting total nonsense and being insanely defensive and disrespectful to the victims. she could just not talk,or say less. but she,and her husband,have decided to try perpetuate some nonsense conspiracy theory that will no doubt be picked up on by similarly dumb people.
Yeah, but they're her kids, it's obviously going to be difficult for her to accept that they've done this, even with all the evidence. She probably thought they were perfectly happy normal guys until suddenly they're wanted for terrorism. Then next thing she knows one of them is dead and the other is arrested. It's a huge shock for her, she's bound to be emotional and not thinking clearly. For her it's not a conspiracy theory, it's the only explanation for how these kids she knows are sweet and decent human being could be accused of murdering innocent people. Maybe she'll eventually realise the truth, or maybe she'll always be in denial. Either way it's kinda understandable, that's just the way people are.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Ha, "The Onion":

BOSTON—In the midst of a widespread manhunt that has put the city of Boston on lockdown, CNN released a series of photographs today depicting the three obese Mexican women it claims are the chief suspects in the Boston Marathon attack. “My top-level sources have confirmed that the individuals depicted in these photos planned, coordinated, and put into effect this week’s deadly bombing,” said CNN reporter John King, speaking of the trio of overweight hispanic women, two of whom reportedly died in the late 1990s and one of whom has never actually visited the United States. “If you come across the suspects, please be careful. My sources tell me these women are armed and highly dangerous.” At press time, everyone at CNN was congratulating one another on the good job they’ve been doing

PhilipB

got third place in a Juan Mata lookalike contest
Last week, I either ran over a sheep or ran over a
[Update 11:33 a.m. ET] Dzhokar Tsarnaev was on the campus of University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth every day after the attack until until late Thursday, a university official told CNN. Tsarnaev attended classes as well as parties in the dorms during that period.
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/20/boston-manhunt-the-day-after/

Unbelievable really.

EDIT:

[Update 11:15 a.m. ET] Ruslan Tsarni tells CNN more about the changing religious outlook of Tamerlan Tsarnaev. Tsarni noticed changes as far back as 2009. The uncle recalls a phone conversation in which Tsarnaev called him an "infidel." The young man also told his uncle he was not concerned about work or studies because God had a plan for him. The possible radicalization of Tsarnaev began around that time under the influence of an Armenian man who was a recent convert to Islam, Ruslan Tsarni said he learned from a family acquaintance. Tsarni said his radicalization happened "right there, in the streets of Cambridge."

Saliph

Probably thought they had gotten away with it. They only emerged after FBI put out photos of them, so they probably panicked.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Found out today my cousin was interviewed by the FBI after reviews of photos etc showed her to have been walking just behind the guy who's just been arrested. Scary shit.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It wasn't one of the released images, they were just asking if she'd seen anything suspicious with having seemingly been so close at one point. Thankfully she'd left that area shortly before it all went off.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
:lol: MSNBC lady: Can you tell what that thing in the foreground is?

It has a tag on it that says Police. I don't think it was the guy's bulletproof vest.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Apparently the father was picked up by the FSB last night and interviewed before being released.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I think the uncle was just saying exactly what the press wanted to hear. Likely deflecting any possible repercussions coming families way. Understandable really.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
DARTMOUTH — Dzhokhar Tsarnaev spent an apparently normal day Wednesday at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, where he was a sophomore, according to a school official, working out in the gym, then sleeping in his dorm room that night, while law enforcement officials frantically scanned photos trying to identify the men who planted deadly bombs at the Boston Marathon on Monday.

Card swipes told officials that Tsarnaev, described as a good and typical student who played intramural soccer, was on campus Wednesday, but it was not clear if he had been there earlier in the week.

A student, who did not want to be identified, also said she saw Tsarnaev at a party on Wednesday night that was attended by some of his soccer friends.

“He was just relaxed,” she said.

Tsarnaev, 19, was the subject of an intense manhunt until he was cornered and captured in a backyard in Watertown on Friday evening. His brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, was killed early Friday morning in a shootout with police.

Rolon said she finds it impossible to believe he was involved in any zealous religious or political cause, or would turn to violence.

“I think he’s Muslim, but not so religious,” she said. “He’s a normal city kid.”

She also said that Tsarnaev, an ethnic Chechen who came to the United States with his family from Kyrgyzstan, a former Soviet republic in Central Asia, did not talk about Russian or international politics.

“He never said anything about Russia versus the United States,” she said.

She said Tsarnaev dressed typically in sweaters and jeans and fit in easily on campus. He spoke English with barely a trace of an accent. He had a roommate, she said, but she declined to give the student’s name. Rolon said she never met his family.

Chris Baratta, 22, a senior nursing student from Acton, lives across the street from campus. He played intramural soccer against Tsarnaev last year, but said nothing unusual stood out about him.

“You just sign up and make your own team, and whoever plays, plays,” he said.

He said friends of his smoked marijuana with Tsarnaev, but nothing stood out about the student.

(Boston Globe)

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Two? One of them is already dead and most people want answers. The police did a very good job in the end.
Not that I agree with PL but what answers do you want? They are religious extremists, they think that they are doing the right thing, all for the love of God.

Sultan

Not that I agree with PL but what answers do you want? They are religious extremists, they think that they are doing the right thing, all for the love of God.
They were living typical young adults life.

Smoking weed, alcohol, parties, girlfriend. Hardly hallmarks of an extremist.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
But we don't know their motivations. We can, fairly safely, assume that it was a result of warped religious ideas, but confirmation is important. If he talks or gives up information about his brother's time in Russia last year, etc, it could be key in investigations for groups that might have other active members in the US. Or, it could prove that the two were self-radicalized AQ wannabes.

Given his age, I think he could end up talking quite a lot in hopes of escaping the death penalty. He didn't appear too fond of the idea of martyrdom. Whether or not the DOJ intends to carry out the death penalty, it could be a useful stick to persuade him to talk.

Sultan

Why is it a default position to take when a person of Muslim origin goes mad and kills people he is radicalised - if others kill, it's anything but religion?

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Cells?

I don't think they were religiously radicalised but if so, by whom?
The FBI questioned the older one in 2011 as a 'person of interest'. They were supposedly tipped off by the Russian government.

From The Independent

Last night the FBI confirmed the questioning, saying a foreign government - which they didn't name - asked them for information on Tamerlan.

Reuters have cited a US law enforcement source as saying the country in question was Russia.

The statement continued: "The request stated that it was based on information that he was a follower of radical Islam and a strong believer, and that he had changed drastically since 2010 as he prepared to leave the United States for travel to the country’s region to join unspecified underground groups.

"In response to this 2011 request, the FBI checked U.S. government databases and other information to look for such things as derogatory telephone communications, possible use of online sites associated with the promotion of radical activity, associations with other persons of interest, travel history and plans, and education history.

"The FBI also interviewed Tamerlan Tsarnaev and family members. The FBI did not find any terrorism activity, domestic or foreign, and those results were provided to the foreign government in the summer of 2011. The FBI requested but did not receive more specific or additional information from the foreign government."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-tamerlan-tsarnaev-two-years-ago-8581259.html

Why is it a default position to take when a person of Muslim origin goes mad and kills people he is radicalised - if others kill, it's anything but religion?
It is not a 'default position' that I have taken. I don't think that I have posted in this thread before. I am saying this in light off American government intelligence that he was a possible religious extremist.

On reflection though I do agree with previous poster, in that perhaps the younger one was swept along by big bro and that he might have something interesting to say.

Saliph

Because that's usually the case.

Who says it's anything but religion when they're not Muslim?

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I made a similar point on the newbies. There have been other indiscriminate acts of violence in the USA committed recently by other young men who just happen to be Caucasian and non-Muslim, and their religion is never mentioned.

Saliph

I made a similar point on the newbies. There have been other indiscriminate acts of violence in the USA committed recently by other young men who just happen to be Caucasian and non-Muslim, and their religion is never mentioned.
Which?

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Was their religion the core motivating factor in the crime that they committed? The crimes that you are talking about, of course.

The main one which is in the news right now is the Aurora shootings. as the trial is taking place.
He did that for the love of a God?

Saliph

The main one which is in the news right now is the Aurora shootings. as the trial is taking place.
Has the Aurora shooter given a religious motive for his actions? No. We're talking about a mentally ill person here, not a religious/ideological fanatic. His religious beliefs (if any) seem to be about as relevant as his height.

Sultan

Because that's usually the case.

Who says it's anything but religion when they're not Muslim?
Politics, revenge, racism, mental issues?

Maybe something in their life triggered a hatred?

Penna

Staff
Was their religion the core motivating factor in the crime that they committed? The crimes that you are talking about, of course.
I have no idea. That's the whole point, we don't yet know what the motivation of these two men was, assuming they are the perpetrators. One's dead and the other is injured, and from what I've read people who know them are in the main very surprised.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
In the US, motivations for terrorism, throughout its history have been: anarchist, right-wing anti-government extremists, left-wing anti-war activists, racist, and religious extremists(Christian and Muslim).

They aren't likely to be very political since only the younger one is a citizen(right or left wing). There haven't been anarchist terrorists in the US in around 100 years. As minorities, they aren't going to be white supremacists or black supremacists. They weren't Christian extremists because they weren't/aren't Christians(a la Eric Rudolph). Their target was soft and not government affiliated, which lends itself to religious extremist terrorism.

If it were one person, I maybe could see it being a person having a psychotic break or mental illness. Two people doesn't really fit that.

Penna

Staff
Has the Aurora shooter given a religious motive for his actions? No. We're talking about a mentally ill person here, not a religious/ideological fanatic. His religious beliefs (if any) seem to be about as relevant as his height.
If the Aurora shooter had been a Muslim, do you think that wouldn't have been all over the news reports, whether it was relevant or not? But as he isn't, no-one mentions religion.

Sultan

In the US, motivations for terrorism, throughout its history have been: anarchist, right-wing anti-government extremists, left-wing anti-war activists, racist, and religious extremists(Christian and Muslim).

They aren't likely to be very political since only the younger one is a citizen(right or left wing). There haven't been anarchist terrorists in the US in around 100 years. As minorities, they aren't going to be white supremacists or black supremacists. They weren't Christian extremists because they weren't/aren't Christians(a la Eric Rudolph). Their target was soft and not government affiliated, which lends itself to religious extremist terrorism.

If it were one person, I maybe could see it being a person having a psychotic break or mental illness. Two people doesn't really fit that.
According to their friends they were hardly religious. The were leading their lives contrary to what a religious person would normally live.

Jimy_Hills_Chin