F1 2021 Season

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I did - like I say celebrate with the fans, do a lap after the race waving it to give back and show your appreciation for the crowds support. I just think it’s odd as a Brit standing in another national flag whilst your countries national anthem is playing to celebrate your win.

I think it’s one of those things that he does that alienates him from people.
Didn't seem to alienate him from his adoring fans in Brazil. Not all who were Brazilian I suspect.
Anyway. Up to you what you think.

Heardy

I’m obviously in the minority which is fine. As I said in my first post - it’s a huge weekend for him and probably goes down as one of his greatest individual weekends. I just thought it was questionable wearing another national flag whilst his country’s national anthem is played - I couldn’t see other sportsmen doing it, but as he’s not officially representing Great Britain whilst racing it’s not an issue for many fans which is cool.

Fully Fledged

Best race weekend I've seen in a long time and the thing used to beat Lewis with is the Brazilian flag. I really don't get some people this is not a National sport and he isn't even racing for a British team he's racing for a German one.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Lewis wearing the Brazilian flag is a really weird thing to care about.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i’m with heardy, my grandad didn’t sell intel to the germans in ww2 to have our anthem disrespected by hamilton holding another country’s flag.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Best race weekend I've seen in a long time and the thing used to beat Lewis with is the Brazilian flag. I really don't get some people this is not a National sport and he isn't even racing for a British team he's racing for a German one.
With an austrian boss and a finnish teammate. Nationality really plays next to no role in F1.

F-Red

Oh feck off - I was a staunch remainer but there’s something wrong about listening to the national anthem with the Union Jack behind him whilst draped in another countries flag.

Would you or other posters cool with it be happy with someonefrom team gb getting a gold medal at the olympics draped in another countries flag? It’s fecking disrespectful.

I have no issue with him driving with the flag celebrating or even respecting the crowd, but not whilst the national anthem is playing.
:lol: surely a parody post this? No one could get that upset about a flag.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

Sounds like they are expecting red bull to protest their car

Can see the last few GP being quite nasty... which from a spectators view is good

What's the odds on a Senna Prost/ schumaccher Hill type incident in Abu dhabi

F-Red

Hamilton summoned to the stewards shortly. Use (or lack of) of the safety belts whilst driving. Most likely when he stopped to collect the Brazilian flag on the in lap.

Edit: Only Ron Meadows going, most likely a reprimand/fine.

Fully Fledged

Hamilton summoned to the stewards shortly. Use (or lack of) of the safety belts whilst driving. Most likely when he stopped to collect the Brazilian flag on the in lap.
Watch them disqualify him or put him to the back of the grid for the next race.

We need an rvn

I don't get what is with the posters being against Hamilton for a flag thing after the support he has received from the Brazilian crowd. 25 places being taken off him, decision in the race completely wrong etc, they felt it, we felt it and Lewis felt it - he wanted to say thank you!

Amazing performance, well done Lewis and proud of you!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Edit: Only Ron Meadows going, most likely a reprimand/fine.
Because not wearing the safety belts was putting Hamilton in more danger than being driven off the track.... by Max.
Honestly. How silly

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
@Heardy im not sure if someone else has already mentioned it, but I think you have to take in the context. Every track he has been to since Silverstone, the fans have heavily been in favour of Max. I think this is genuinely the first track he’s had the most support since then. The fans have always been incredible to him for many years too. I think this is really important to understand this. Put another way, how many other races have you seen Hamilton do this?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Didn’t he take a new ICU last week though? Or was it 2 weeks ago
I was wondering whether the replacement ICU actually gives that much more power than the old one. Or whether it allows Mercedes to operate it to its maximum with less risk of failure but for longer.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
@Heardy im not sure if someone else has already mentioned it, but I think you have to take in the context. Every track he has been to since Silverstone, the fans have heavily been in favour of Max. I think this is genuinely the first track he’s had the most support since then. The fans have always been incredible to him for many years too. I think this is really important to understand this. Put another way, how many other races have you seen Hamilton do this?
Very good point.

RoadTrip

It was all about the long straights today as Red Bull is quicker around fast corners but Merc is faster in the straight.
Is that right? I always thought long, high speed corners favoured Mercedes. And that it was the slower corners that really favoured Red Bull. If you’re using Mexico and that sweeping section (or the US) as a benchmark, they’re anomalies I think because in those cases Red Bull gained the advantage because of their ability to use the curbs (Mexico) and handle the bumps better (US) because of their high rake. Otherwise I thought Merc was faster on those types of corners. I could be wrong though.

One of the best race weekends from a driver I've seen in 30 years following the sport. He was under pressure and reminded everybody who is the best out there.

It does seem like the FIA are trying to put Hamilton back in his box though. I think if he wins number 8 he will walk away from the sport.

RoadTrip

I was wondering whether the replacement ICU actually gives that much more power than the old one. Or whether it allows Mercedes to operate it to its maximum with less risk of failure but for longer.
Yes this could be a point too. I really don’t know. I have heard that the Merc ICU has a higher performance drop through W&T than the Honda, though.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Hard to know exactly but remember the old icu if they were trying to nurse it through 10 GPS to get to the end of the season vs having one that only has to last 4 races will give you more opportunity to push boundries

With the truck suspension potentially giving them the downforce reduction now as well they can optimise the engine for a higher top speed knowing they will still have sufficient diwnforce for the corners

All probably small gains but a large gain in f1 is often several small gains packaged up together

F-Red

Same thing with the ICE, you can operate at more power with less risk of failure. Mercedes have experimented with Bottas over the last few races on what is possible with the engine. I don't think Mercedes will look at other new engines for the rest of the season, purely as the overtaking ability at the circuits (including 2 new ones) won't be as obvious as Brazil.

Heardy

Thats a very good point and something that had passed me by if I’m honest!!

I didn’t want my post to take anything away from what was an incredible performance by him all weekend! Shame he couldn’t hold out for fastest lap but will make for an interesting end to the season.

Fluctuation0161

Oh feck off - I was a staunch remainer but there’s something wrong about listening to the national anthem with the Union Jack behind him whilst draped in another countries flag.

Would you or other posters cool with it be happy with someonefrom team gb getting a gold medal at the olympics draped in another countries flag? It’s fecking disrespectful.

I have no issue with him driving with the flag celebrating or even respecting the crowd, but not whilst the national anthem is playing.
It's only a flag mate. Calm down.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yes this could be a point too. I really don’t know. I have heard that the Merc ICU has a higher performance drop through W&T than the Honda, though.
Sounds right doesn't it. Honda do reliability so well.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Hard to know exactly but remember the old icu if they were trying to nurse it through 10 GPS to get to the end of the season vs having one that only has to last 4 races will give you more opportunity to push boundries

With the truck suspension potentially giving them the downforce reduction now as well they can optimise the engine for a higher top speed knowing they will still have sufficient diwnforce for the corners

All probably small gains but a large gain in f1 is often several small gains packaged up together
Understood. Thanks.