F1 2021 Season

Fully Fledged

Nah F1 threads since the early days have always been like this. Just the last 6 years (outside of the mini Seb in a Ferrari vs Lewis battle) has been so one sided nothing much went on in these threads. 2022 will be the just as bad this 2021 thread.
It's actually got better since Santi was banned.

spiriticon

Fair. Still he had no chance of staying in front of Max. Masi just handed the title to Max because, 'it's called racing'.
Completely agree mate. Which is why, even if Masi fudged it for TV, it was just shit TV. Can't believe he couldn't see that.

Fully Fledged

Completely agree mate. Which is why, even if Masi fudged it for TV, it was just shit TV. Can't believe he couldn't see that.
He's messed up all season. The sport is definitely poorer for the passing of Charlie Whiting. We lost a great man who understood both the spirit and letter of the laws of the sport and ended up with Masi.

RiP Charlie racing fans miss you immensely.

hobbers

Red Bull had the better car up until Brazil then Mercedes changed something that gave them an advantage.
No, Red Bull had a significantly better car at Bahrain, Monaco, Baku, Austria and Mexico.

Everywhere else was either even or a Merc advantage. And then a significant Merc pace advantage in the last 4 races. That car became a monster on medium and hard tyres at high fuel loads.

spiriticon

Another really dodgy thing. Again opening a can of worms here... Why was Perez suddenly retired for no reason when he was ahead of Bottas in the last few laps under safety car?

Red Bull willingly gave up the Constructor's to Mercedes by doing that.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I think Mercedes are just stalling to make it seem more serious or they're negotiating a favor from FIA behind the scenes.

Can't see them going through with the appeal.

Fully Fledged

Another really dodgy thing. Again opening a can of worms here... Why was Perez suddenly retired for no reason when he was ahead of Bottas in the last few laps under safety car?

Red Bull willingly gave up the Constructor's to Mercedes by doing that.
Mercedes won the constructors by 28 points even if Red bull had been awarded 24 for equal first for both Max and Checo they still wouldn't have won the constructors.

spiriticon

Mercedes won the constructors by 28 points even if Red bull had been awarded 24 for equal first for both Max and Checo they still wouldn't have won the constructors.
But Checo was ahead of Bottas no? So Botta's would have got less if Checo stayed in third?

Rooney1987

No, Red Bull had a significantly better car at Bahrain, Monaco, Baku, Austria and Mexico.

Everywhere else was either even or a Merc advantage. And then a significant Merc pace advantage in the last 4 races. That car became a monster on medium and hard tyres at high fuel loads.
Well that is wrong. Spar, French GP, Zandvoort and Austin, RB was fastest in most practices, was on pole and won during all 4 weekends.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Max and Lewis have pulled away from everyone in restarts this year. Sainz should've been behind Max, but do you really think he would've been in the mix? Max was on fresh softs. No way in hell Sainz would've split them. Unfortunately we'll never know for sure.
What tyres was sainz on at this point? I don't remember. Max could have done Lewis and sainz done Lewis too.

The point is they gave Max an opportunity they didn't give to other drivers. It's absolutely shambolic tbh.

If sainz was pressuring max in any way it could have forced an error, or just not have Max as easy a run to Hamilton.

I understand it's unlikely.

Fully Fledged

But Checo was ahead of Bottas no? So Botta's would have got less if Checo stayed in third?
But the difference would not have been enough to make up 28 points. If Checo got 15 points for second and Valtteri had got 6 instead of 8 that would of been a turn around of 17 points not 28.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Maximum points you can get in a normal weekend is 44 points and that's from a 1-2 finish with fastest lap.

Mercedes were already 28 points ahead before the weekend, so barring Lewis crashing his car, Red Bull was never really in any position to win the WCC at all during the weekend as long as Lewis gets at least third and Bottas gets 2 points.

Fully Fledged

What about Max' 24 points for winning?
He got them anyway so that wont make a difference to the final standings. The only thing that would change by Checo finishing is him getting 15 points and Valtteri getting 6 points instead of 8. Other teams would have been effected but they would have no impact on the points difference between RB and Mercedes.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
Max and Lewis have pulled away from everyone in restarts this year. Sainz should've been behind Max, but do you really think he would've been in the mix? Max was on fresh softs. No way in hell Sainz would've split them. Unfortunately we'll never know for sure.
Yesterday we had a grid start in karting and I overtook 3 people on the start and held my position for a lap and a half despite my best lap time being 2 seconds a lap slower than them. It could have happened

hobbers

Well that is wrong. Spar, French GP, Zandvoort and Austin, RB was fastest in most practices, was on pole and won during all 4 weekends.
Nope. In Spa there was no racing. In France the Merc had the better race pace as expected but Red Bull won on strategy. In Zandvoort the race pace was actually dead even. In Austin again Merc had a clear pace advantage but they had poor strategy.

People seem to really have a hard time grasping the difference between one-lap qualifying pace with no fuel and soft tyres to race pace. The Red Bull has been very strong on soft tyres with no fuel on hot laps, that's why qualifying has always been so close.

The Hilton

It's not worth it, the poster you're trying to debate with has been spouting the same nonsense narrative since the start of the year.

Hamilton and Bottas could have been driving the first generation A-Class and he'd still say it was faster than the Red Bull.

Unfortunately a lot of folks in the thread are here to do nothing but WUM. Don't bite and hopefully they'll get bored, meaning we'll be able to have some sensible discussion in the 2022 thread.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Was Hamilton right when saying that the safety car was going too slow? Or was he just being effected by his wish for it to go as fast as possible?

slyadams

In practice though CAS has never ruled on the outcome of a sporting event. Or even on the quality of the officiating of a sporting event.

Most sporting bodies I would imagine have certain provisions that mean they get the final say on those issues. Bad officiating in all sports is inevitable and many championships have been decided by bad decisions, but they have never ended up in front of CAS.
CAS will not get involved in the event of purely poor officiating. However, in a ruling they have said:

1. Abstinence by CAS from ruling on field of play decisions is not a matter of jurisdiction, but of arbitral self-restraint. The rationale for such self-restraint includes supporting the autonomy of officials; avoidance of the interruption to matches in progress; seeking to ensure the certainty of outcome of competition; the relative lack of perspective and/or experience of appellate bodies compared with that of match officials.
2. The doctrine at any rate applies to prevent rewriting the results of the game or of sanctions imposed in the course of competition. However, the doctrine is disapplied upon proof that decisions otherwise falling within its ambit were vitiated by bias, malice, bad faith, arbitrariness or legal error. Within those limits the doctrine is compatible with Swiss law.
This basically says: "We don't get involved with officiating because we choose not to. However, if we believe the officiating was in bad faith or shows an arbitrary application of rules then we will". This seems to apply very well here.

However, I don't think it will end up in CAS, a compromise will be struck.

Can someone explain to me in lay man’s terms what happened?

Also did Hamilton get screwed or was it right decision? Ideally would like to hear both opinions

hobbers

It's not worth it, the poster you're trying to debate with has been spouting the same nonsense narrative since the start of the year.

Hamilton and Bottas could have been driving the first generation A-Class and he'd still say it was faster than the Red Bull.

Unfortunately a lot of folks in the thread are here to do nothing but WUM. Don't bite and hopefully they'll get bored, meaning we'll be able to have some sensible discussion in the 2022 thread.
I dont get why people like you have this level of denial, even with your stonking bias. Why does it offend you so much to have this narrative disrupted anyway?

The lap times and speed traps dont lie, so why keep clinging to a dead narrative?

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Can someone explain to me in lay man’s terms what happened?

Also did Hamilton get screwed or was it right decision? Ideally would like to hear both opinions
Hamilton got screwed. There really is no alternative opinion cause that's not an opinion, it's a fact.

What might be debated is who between Verstappen or Hamilton deserved the title more, how bad of a feck up was it by the race director, etc. But Hamilton got screwed.

Fluctuation0161

I'm more upset about what happened the more time passes.

Allowing just some cars through just to get Max on new tyres alongside Lewis while he's sat there on very old tyres is just gifting championship win after all the hard work was done. Max qualified almost 4 tenths faster yet Lewis did incredible to keep the speed and maintain the tyres. Red Bull and Max didn't have answer and were well beaten, it was settled on track absolfeckinglutley until this Masi intervenes for a completely one sided final lap showdown that completely undermines everything and the whole brilliant comeback Merc have done in the last quarter of the season, it was fairly won by Lewis. Merc are also basing their decision to not pit Lewis that the whole field needs to be sorted and this will end under a safety car so if they pit and Max stays out they just hand over the lead and championship, they're simply not expecting some pillock director to fast track just a few drivers on the request of Red Bull.

Max is also flat spotting his tyes in quali yet gets rewarded for that and being 11 seconds off the lead with a free shot.

Finishing under the safety car in fine, the whole spectacle and the Max vs Lewis showdown happened, Lewis did the job, had he strolled over the line 11 seconds ahead or under the safety car shouldn't matter. Red Bull couldn't achieve any grandstand finish, they were nowhere. The fact that it went to the last race in very rare and good enough, they also had some racing between them.

Maybe for 2022 we should forget the races, lets have Lewis on 30/40 lap old tyres and Max on a fresh set and just have one lap shootouts at each track, that sounds like a great fair sporting event.

A farce and robbery. I expect the title to be always be with a heavy asterisk, with jokes and jibes never ending relating to just how farcical it was handed away like that.
I tend to agree. Like you, the more time to reflect on it, the more dodgy it seems.

Blatant corruption. It is akin to match fixing in football.

Fluctuation0161

I'm now starting to wonder if the whole 'exciting' season was fixed by Masi for the contenders to have roughly equal points on the last race, to draw in record numbers of viewers. Handing out penalties at key moments, letting things go at other key moments....

Ugh, can of worms.
Imo there is no wondering about that anymore. I had my suspicions at the time earlier in the season but dismissed as unlikely. But now Masi has shown that entertainment or a new champion has been on his mind the whole time.

-Giving half points for a farce (advantage Max)

-Allowing Max to drive Lewis off the track in Brazil (advantage Max)

-Not penalising Max with grid penalty or points deduction for brake checking (advantage Max)

-The icing on the cake, handing the championship and final race to Max despite him being 11 second behind.

It really is laughable that Masi got away with it. :lol:

Fluctuation0161

That's where your wrong though. Mercedes dominated the last few races.

Max dominated the season. Most wins Most Podiums.

Hell Max had more Laps led than Lewis and the entire rest of the grid put together.

He deserved the championship over the season.

Even with Abu Dhabi Max lost more points than Lewis due to lucky/uncontrollable moments.

Statistics don't matter when you are level on points going into the final race and the race director fixes it so you can win. That is not a deserved win, it is given.

Fluctuation0161

Masi was race director in probably the most commercialy successful season of F1. I can't see them firing him after that.
The only thing he did wrong was not let all lapped cars go by a lap earlier which could have be done as stated by Alonso and Vettel during race but that still wouldn't change the outcome of the WC.
The decision that he let the cars between Hamilton and Verstappen go by was the only right one because otherwise championship would be decided by mistake previously mentioned.
And that decision is clearly in line with the rules given that they denied Merc protest and Merc probably not taking actions any further.
Alright nostradamus. :lol:

Fluctuation0161

Just a thought that I had, and I'll defer to those who know more about F1 and the 'behind-the-scenes processes' than I do...

Could it be at all possible that Michael Masi had somehow missed that Verstappen was running the newer, soft compound tyres and that Lewis was on 30+ lap old hard tyres?

Obviously to us all watching the Sky Sports/Channel 4 coverage, this was made abundantly clear over and over again, and we saw it unfolding lap-by-lap with our own eyes...but would Masi be watching the same pictures/coverage? What view of the race would he get?

I suppose what I am getting at is that COULD it be possible that Masi DID intend to manipulate the race to put Max behind Lewis but have OVERLOOKED the fact that it would be a non-contest, since Max had a huge tyre advantage?

In that scenario, Masi might have thought 'this will be great for a bit of drama, but Lewis is quicker (had been all race) and should hold-on. Did he realise he was handing the race to Max by positioning him behind Hamilton, and then have an "oh s**t" moment when he realised the true reality of what he had done?

This would also explain, to some extent, the 'it's a motor race' comment...because we all felt that was completely misguided/inflammatory given they weren't racing on an equal footing at that point. Perhaps Masi hadn't understood the discrepancy in tyre degradation/compound

Now, as I said earlier, I am happy to be told this is unlikely/improbable...it's just a theory I have to maybe explain why Masi ended up so blatantly handing Max the race....maybe he had just been following their duel in/out whilst doing his general duties, and thought Lewis would 95% likely hold Max off?
No.