F1 2021 Season

Fluctuation0161

That's not even in the same ballpark :lol: In abu dhabi Max was in front in the corner and all of a sudden Lewis is 400m in front a couple moments later. In Brazil Max was already ahead and stayed ahead and by a much smaller margin. You exposed yourself with that one.
Exposed myself. :lol:The irony after the state of your posts. If I exposed myself you are skinny dipping in broad daylight mate. :lol:

Max brakes too late into corners pushing other cars off the track. Something else Masi has not punished.

Maybe look at the other examples such as Masi breaking the rules to award Max the win?

Our Max brake checking and not getting a grid penalty or disqualification?

It is clear that the championship was manipulated, firstly to create a final race "showdown" and secondly to manipulate the final laps of that race to enable Max to win.

pauldyson1uk

Marko and Horner wish they would both quit !

Marko is even worse than Horner

“We broke their seven-year dominance with a young guy and a young, motivated team.

“It’s disgusting what they did after the race to protest when it was clear it would not work. This is a very bad loser for me.”

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Think this thread is too polarized now, so the best hope is to have move on from this season to next. My thoughts

Season : What.A.Season. I think it was a much needed season with two competitive seasons after a bunch of seasons dominated by Mercedes. It rekindled my interest in the sport from a "read the headlines and find out what happened" to actively tuning in to watch the race. Thanks in no small part to Red Bull, Mercedes teams and two immensely talented and driven drivers. It literally came to the last lap of the last race of the season as a one off winner takes all, and I've never seen anything like it. It was brilliant entertainment and racing. As much as

Mercedes and Redbull : They pulled their socks and made some good decisions for the last few races but I think overall, they would look back on this season where they made a lot of mistakes. In spite of Bottas winning more points than Perez, I think Perez defended Verstappen better than Bottas did Hamilton. There were multiple points in the season where Mercedes as a team trailed Red Bull. Perhaps winning the first title was motivation enough for Red bull. That said, changing engines was a great decision and provided Hamilton a much faster car for the last few races. Personally I think Red Bull car was faster than the Mercedes before the engine change, but don't know how to compute the advantage of a slightly faster car for about 15 races and a much slower car for the final 5 races. All in all, both teams contributed to a great spectacle.

Hamilton : Never understood some of the hate received by Hamilton receives from the fans worldwide. Brilliant and a talented driver. Spoke up against Saudi Arabian atrocities and generally comes across as a nice guy. Likes Senna and that's a plus too. Yes, there is some arrogance but champions do have arrogance. Knighthood is well deserved and his total number of wins and accolades speaks for itself. Personally I feel he is not respected like Schumacher and other legends were but each to his own. He drove beautifully, with controlled aggression and passion this year and handled things impeccably well. I'm not a Lewis Hamilton fan, but take a fecking bow.

Verstappen : Worthy champion. To set the pace with a supremely talented driver like Lewis Hamilton throughout a season is no small achievement and he has driven like a driven man. Some of his aggression bordered on the line but to beat a champion like Hamilton was nerve wrackingly brilliant. His team supported him well, even Perez came up trumps in the most important moments of the season. Perez holding off Hamilton for those precious seconds was some brilliant driving. Without that, Hamilton would have been well outside the lap window and could have pitted for soft tires without giving up position in the final race. He was unlucky in a few races and I think he would have finished the season earlier if he had finished the Baku and Silverstone races but he also got lucky plenty of times and also got the biggest stroke of luck in the final lap of the season. That being said, a worthy champion.

Masi : Even before the fiasco of the last race, I think he should have done his job better. Give more power to the race stewards instead of bartering with the teams to give or take a place. Yes, he is a race director but he's making himself a target for bias complaints. F1 has race stewards to take decisions, let them take it instead of putting his nose everywhere. Also don't understand the complaints of race finishing under a safety car when in the same season we witnessed the farce of Belgian Grand Prix. I do understand the motivation of final lap winner takes all, but the gymnastics made to arrive at that scenario feels made up for entertainment and not as implementing the rulebook. That said, I loved the spectacle myself so I'm a bit unsure how to feel about this. I think in general, he needs to take a back seat a bit.

Bias in this thread : Absolutely nauseating. Perhaps some posters n this thread feel the need to defend Hamilton from the abuse he gets outside but there are some ridiculous posts in this thread. Same can be said of nutter Verstappen fans. Mercedes was never going to take the decision to CAS or FIA, Safety cars has been used since God knows when and the lead is always wiped out, there were questionable decisions for Hamilton as well as Verstappen throughout the season. Some posters only want to bring up the bad ones for Hamilton and the others only want to bring up the points when Verstappen was wronged. Let's move on guys.

Final lap : At the end of the day, questionable decisions were made and none more questionable than letting some of the unlapped cars lap themselves while retaining some. At best, the interpretation was Masi didn't want the race to end with a Safety car and he wanted to lift it to allow one last lap, and realized that he can't let cars lap themselves as they would need an additional lap, so decided go ahead with partial unlap as the best of worst decisions he had to make. At worst, he was compromising race rules for entertainment value. If I was a Hamilton fan, I would think it's more akin to a dubious hand ball penalty given in the last minute of the UCL finals. I enjoyed the race and the spectable but I can understand the bitterness of Mercedes / Hamilton fans.

Cheers to both teams, Hamilton and Verstappen for giving us the best F1 season in ages. Hope Hamilton comes back and absolutely mullers Red Bull next season. All I want for Christmas is one more season like this one

RepardReece

Marko and Horner wish they would both quit !

Marko is even worse than Horner

“We broke their seven-year dominance with a young guy and a young, motivated team.

“It’s disgusting what they did after the race to protest when it was clear it would not work. This is a very bad loser for me.”
Them two are a disease to this sport. Imagine their reactions if this happened to Max instead.

dinostar77

He's not wrong though, plus it's important they keep pushing this - if Merc roll over it's a clear sign to the FIA and Masi that they can do whatever they like, no matter the rules.
Agreed. Totto and Lewis wont be at the presentation tonight. Rightly so. Whole situation is such a farce.

Fluctuation0161

Think this thread is too polarized now, so the best hope is to have move on from this season to next. My thoughts

Season : What.A.Season. I think it was a much needed season with two competitive seasons after a bunch of seasons dominated by Mercedes. It rekindled my interest in the sport from a "read the headlines and find out what happened" to actively tuning in to watch the race. Thanks in no small part to Red Bull, Mercedes teams and two immensely talented and driven drivers. It literally came to the last lap of the last race of the season as a one off winner takes all, and I've never seen anything like it. It was brilliant entertainment and racing. As much as

Mercedes and Redbull : They pulled their socks and made some good decisions for the last few races but I think overall, they would look back on this season where they made a lot of mistakes. In spite of Bottas winning more points than Perez, I think Perez defended Verstappen better than Bottas did Hamilton. There were multiple points in the season where Mercedes as a team trailed Red Bull. Perhaps winning the first title was motivation enough for Red bull. That said, changing engines was a great decision and provided Hamilton a much faster car for the last few races. Personally I think Red Bull car was faster than the Mercedes before the engine change, but don't know how to compute the advantage of a slightly faster car for about 15 races and a much slower car for the final 5 races. All in all, both teams contributed to a great spectacle.

Hamilton : Never understood some of the hate received by Hamilton receives from the fans worldwide. Brilliant and a talented driver. Spoke up against Saudi Arabian atrocities and generally comes across as a nice guy. Likes Senna and that's a plus too. Yes, there is some arrogance but champions do have arrogance. Knighthood is well deserved and his total number of wins and accolades speaks for itself. Personally I feel he is not respected like Schumacher and other legends were but each to his own. He drove beautifully, with controlled aggression and passion this year and handled things impeccably well. I'm not a Lewis Hamilton fan, but take a fecking bow.

Verstappen : Worthy champion. To set the pace with a supremely talented driver like Lewis Hamilton throughout a season is no small achievement and he has driven like a driven man. Some of his aggression bordered on the line but to beat a champion like Hamilton was nerve wrackingly brilliant. His team supported him well, even Perez came up trumps in the most important moments of the season. Perez holding off Hamilton for those precious seconds was some brilliant driving. Without that, Hamilton would have been well outside the lap window and could have pitted for soft tires without giving up position in the final race. He was unlucky in a few races and I think he would have finished the season earlier if he had finished the Baku and Silverstone races but he also got lucky plenty of times and also got the biggest stroke of luck in the final lap of the season. That being said, a worthy champion.

Masi : Even before the fiasco of the last race, I think he should have done his job better. Give more power to the race stewards instead of bartering with the teams to give or take a place. Yes, he is a race director but he's making himself a target for bias complaints. F1 has race stewards to take decisions, let them take it instead of putting his nose everywhere. Also don't understand the complaints of race finishing under a safety car when in the same season we witnessed the farce of Belgian Grand Prix. I do understand the motivation of final lap winner takes all, but the gymnastics made to arrive at that scenario feels made up for entertainment and not as implementing the rulebook. That said, I loved the spectacle myself so I'm a bit unsure how to feel about this. I think in general, he needs to take a back seat a bit.

Bias in this thread : Absolutely nauseating. Perhaps some posters n this thread feel the need to defend Hamilton from the abuse he gets outside but there are some ridiculous posts in this thread. Same can be said of nutter Verstappen fans. Mercedes was never going to take the decision to CAS or FIA, Safety cars has been used since God knows when and the lead is always wiped out, there were questionable decisions for Hamilton as well as Verstappen throughout the season. Some posters only want to bring up the bad ones for Hamilton and the others only want to bring up the points when Verstappen was wronged. Let's move on guys.

Final lap : At the end of the day, questionable decisions were made and none more questionable than letting some of the unlapped cars lap themselves while retaining some. At best, the interpretation was Masi didn't want the race to end with a Safety car and he wanted to lift it to allow one last lap, and realized that he can't let cars lap themselves as they would need an additional lap, so decided go ahead with partial unlap as the best of worst decisions he had to make. At worst, he was compromising race rules for entertainment value. If I was a Hamilton fan, I would think it's more akin to a dubious hand ball penalty given in the last minute of the UCL finals. I enjoyed the race and the spectable but I can understand the bitterness of Mercedes / Hamilton fans.

Cheers to both teams, Hamilton and Verstappen for giving us the best F1 season in ages. Hope Hamilton comes back and absolutely mullers Red Bull next season. All I want for Christmas is one more season like this one
Fair enough. I respect your opinion.

But the controversy is not about using safety cars.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Fair enough. I respect your opinion.

But the controversy is not about using safety cars.
There were many posts quibbling about the loss of a 12 second lead Hamilton had built up. It was always been thus. I understand and empathize with the unlapping cars fiasco but many people were genuinely complaining that he lost a 12 second lead and they were complaining about F1 prioritizing new generation fans. Bit of a head scratcher that as Safety car, yellow and red flag rules are not new. Hamilton in this very season benefitted with a red flag scenario. I'm just saying that F1 is out to get Lewis Hamilton is a bit tiring. If anything, Lewis Hamilton is the 7 time champion, on the verge of breaking Schumacher's record.

Sorry, it's just a bit baffling.

Offsideagain

Makes me want to puke reading all these posts about Saint Lewis. Now they, the media, are saying Perez held Sir Lewis up. Well Bottas has done that job of holding up others and giving Lewis a tow for Mercedes for some years and it was ok. I am English but Verstappen won and I guarantee that if it had been the other way around, people would calling Red Bull fit to burn and sore losers. Now the poor love may not race again as he feels ‘cheated’. Grow up.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.

Cracking post Fishy.

That about ends the thread for me, no point watching rival fans go at each other over it any more. F1 has always been dubiously run at best, this won't be the last time they are this blatant with what they do, but at least it gave us a couple of entertaining races at the end. Roll on WF1F2022

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Lewis Hamilton is 'disillusioned' after Abu Dhabi, says Toto Wolff
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/59686315
Not surprised, I am also disillusioned and I'm just an observer.
Honestly I wouldn't be at all surprised if Hamilton does call it a day, because I don't know where he goes from here, not sure that I can see him winning the title back, so perhaps it is the right time to step down..

Last edited:

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
Honestly I wouldn't be at all surprised if Hamilton does call it a day, because I don't know where he goes from here, I don't see him winning the title back, so perhaps it is the right time to step down..
Why don't you see him winning another one? Who's to say Merc is not going to ace these regulations as well? Would be a massive shame for F1 if he quit.

Abizzz

Why don't you see him winning another one? Who's to say Merc is not going to ace these regulations as well? Would be a massive shame for F1 if he quit.
Personally I hope he retires. At the moment I can't give a feck about F1 2022, not after this, not after wasting a sunday on spa. It would send a message that would ring in F1's head for the entire season. And honestly, he's tied Schumi. Why put your health at risk again for another year to get fecked over like that again. Doesn't seem appealing to me.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
Personally I hope he retires. At the moment I can't give a feck about F1 2022, not after this, not after wasting a sunday on spa. It would send a message that would ring in F1's head for the entire season.
I really, really don't want him to. I'd rather he win the title over Max next season than quit now. This could be a great rivalry in the making, assuming both teams are still on top next year.

Abizzz

I really, really don't want him to. I'd rather he win the title over Max next season than quit now. This could be a great rivalry in the making, assuming both teams are still on top next year.
Who cares when it's scripted? If i'm watching Hollywood at least I don't get a pathetic clueless weasel in the commanding role of the movie.

hobbers

Who cares when it's scripted? If i'm watching Hollywood at least I don't get a pathetic clueless weasel in the commanding role of the movie.
You didn't think the previous 7 seasons and 14 championships were scripted?

spiriticon

You didn't think the previous 7 seasons and 14 championships were scripted?
I actually think it somehow is. Not within the season, but Lewis was champ because the FIA did not want to lose him as the face of the company, so they didnt nerf his car. Same with Schumacher and Vettel.

spiriticon

Anyway even if Lewis did come back next year, it would be a big big ask for him to forget what happened and perform with the mental clarity of this year. He's not going to be shit, obviously, but will he be excellent? I don't know.

Don't get all your hopes too high for another exciting season.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Not as bad as this week. Hamilton losing like that has pissed off all his fans. I cam understand to a certain extent, but give it a rest.
At least in match threads most of the anger is directed at the people doing the sportsing, but this thread really is different. So much animosity and outrage from so many participants, everybody's ready to jump at the next throat. I'll lurk the 2022 thread just for entertainment, I guess. Keep it up!

slyadams

I don't think Lewis will quit. I think Mercedes are playing a bit of Holywood here. If Lewis quit there would be a strong narrative around 'Max retired him', a bit like when Rosberg won the title and then retired and a lot of the narrative was about him not wanting to take Lewis on again. Perhaps Lewis doesn't care.

A lot might depend on how strong they think the car is, Ted Kravitz was talking over the weekend about how it seems Mercedes seems to be ahead in the development than the other teams. Which incidentally, if true, would be worrying for Ferrari as didn't they declare their new car as being "done"?

hobbers

Makes me want to puke reading all these posts about Saint Lewis. Now they, the media, are saying Perez held Sir Lewis up. Well Bottas has done that job of holding up others and giving Lewis a tow for Mercedes for some years and it was ok. I am English but Verstappen won and I guarantee that if it had been the other way around, people would calling Red Bull fit to burn and sore losers. Now the poor love may not race again as he feels ‘cheated’. Grow up.
I did see some rent-a-quote tabloid article with Bourdais saying Perez holding Hamilton up was unsportsmanlike.

Firstly, obviously it isn't unsportsmanlike. It's a team game and tactical driving to help your team mate is not only fair but necessary. Ask Ocon and Alonso.

Secondly, that idiot obviously has a very short memory because cast your mind back to 2016 and what was Lewis trying to do to Rosberg, his team mate, in the final race? Hold him up. Which was also absolutely a fair and smart thing to try.

ArjenIsM3

I agree with this. Lewis didn't need to give the place back, but he should have dropped a bit further back. Although as you say, it would have had little effect. Perhaps because the stewards thought the move wasn't fair, they weren't inclined to quibble over 0.5s-1s?
Maybe. Thought it was a weird decision at the time by the stewards. It probably didn't matter in the end, but they couldn't have known that. Although letting Lewis keep the second advantage also made sure he wouldn't be attacked for the rest of the lap. Oh well, we've come to expect such decisions from the stewards this season. It is what it is.

Fully Fledged

I did see some rent-a-quote tabloid article with Bourdais saying Perez holding Hamilton up was unsportsmanlike.

Firstly, obviously it isn't unsportsmanlike. It's a team game and tactical driving to help your team mate is not only fair but necessary. Ask Ocon and Alonso.

Secondly, that idiot obviously has a very short memory because cast your mind back to 2016 and what was Lewis trying to do to Rosberg, his team mate, in the final race? Hold him up. Which was also absolutely a fair and smart thing to try.
Of course it's not unsportsmanlike like. It was his job. I thought that Checo played his part in the contest as good as could have been expected. If Checo had taken Lewis of the track deliberately then that would have been unsporting but holding him up is totally in the rules of the sport.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
No it's homophobic and racist...
perhaps that's why you support it?
The meltdown on here is glorious.

Especially from this clown who thinks the race was decided due to homophobia and racism. You are an embarrassment.

Lewis Hamilton has never made a mistake? Toto Wolff has never made a mistake? the Fanboys on here have never made a mistake?

Masi made a mistake, only in that he never allowed all lapped cars through. He could have done so and the end result would have been the same.
Laughable thing is the same people who are pissing their pants over this are the same ones who will tell you how great Senna was, how great Schumacher was despite the fact they both blatantly took people out to win or try to win Championships.

Sennas actions were disgusting but he won the title. He basically cheated, it was premeditated.

There is no evidence that anyone cheated here, just that one person made a mistake.
Despite what people say this will not have any negative affect on F1.
Get a grip ffs, nobody died.

Roll on March

Fluctuation0161

There were many posts quibbling about the loss of a 12 second lead Hamilton had built up. It was always been thus. I understand and empathize with the unlapping cars fiasco but many people were genuinely complaining that he lost a 12 second lead and they were complaining about F1 prioritizing new generation fans. Bit of a head scratcher that as Safety car, yellow and red flag rules are not new. Hamilton in this very season benefitted with a red flag scenario. I'm just saying that F1 is out to get Lewis Hamilton is a bit tiring. If anything, Lewis Hamilton is the 7 time champion, on the verge of breaking Schumacher's record.

Sorry, it's just a bit baffling.
The issue isn't that F1 is out to get Lewis Hamilton. So I can understand why that would be baffling!

The issue is Masi/the FIA not following the safety car rules. Which unfairly handed the title to Max, maybe because Masi wanted "entertainment", maybe because a different champion would increase ratings, who knows why? But the issue is rules were broken in an unprecedented way, which effectively chose the winner of this year's championship.

That is hard to take, no matter who won or who lost. Losing faith in the fairness of any sport makes that sport hollow.

Fluctuation0161

Honestly I wouldn't be at all surprised if Hamilton does call it a day, because I don't know where he goes from here, not sure that I can see him winning the title back, so perhaps it is the right time to step down..
I could see him winning the title back, but I totally understand if he leaves. It would be a loss to F1, but they have caused so much damage to the integrity of the sport.

Fully Fledged

That's a myth. Lewis didn't give back the same and even IF he did, its ridiculous because any other time a driver has to give position back
But Lewis didn't gain a place. He was ahead going into the corner and after going off the track was ahead coming out of the corner his lead was just bigger.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Was the lead really that much bigger before the braking zone. I look forward to every driver taking a leaf out of Max's book and dive bombs galore next season.