F1 2022 Season

pauldyson1uk

Nah, refueling always made races dull back in the past, I've been rewatching old races on F1 tv, very few good races in the refueling years.

I think bringing in minimum 2 stop races where you have to use all 3 compounds would make it very interesting.
Its a no to refueling from me.
Minimum 2 stops and using 3 compounds, yeah I can see the merits of it and pit strategy would play a part of the race, more than it does now.

sepulturite

You would almost certainly get identical strategies with this approach.
Eh I dunno, I don't think so. That was always thought about the 2 compound rule when it was brought in and it didn't happen that way. It's worth a try for a season.

sepulturite

Minimum 2 stops and using 3 compounds, yeah I can see the merits of it and pit strategy would play a part of the race, more than it does now.
Yeh exactly, as I said in my other reply it's worth a try for a season. Could make typically dull races like Monaco and catalunya a bit more exciting anyway.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
He said it multiple times, and the underlying message was pretty obviously not referring to the safety car. I appreciate your posts and I think we would get on over a pint or two mate but this one seems to me to be a bit willfully thick.

As I said earlier, Kravitz is more than welcome to express that opinion on other platforms - but for him to do so on an official F1-licensed broadcast is out of bounds.
I’m not sure why this makes a difference? Pundits are paid to give an opinion, whether on an official broadcast or not. The issue here isn’t that he is giving a biased opinion. The issue is really that you’ve first made the assumption that an opinion which benefits Lewis must be biased in the first place. I can’t speak for Ted, but I believe 99% of people who hold the view that Hamilton was robbed last year including me would equally strongly hold that view if it was any of the other 18 drivers on the grid. Therefore to me it isn’t biased, it’s just an opinion which he is paid to offer.

Abizzz

Nah, refueling always made races dull back in the past, I've been rewatching old races on F1 tv, very few good races in the refueling years.

I think bringing in minimum 2 stop races where you have to use all 3 compounds would make it very interesting.
It added another dimension to the strategy. Start empty and speed off, go super heavy and try a no stopper... etc. I have positive memories ofit during the Schumi/Hakkinen, Schumi/Hill seasons, I'd like to see a return of it.

But then again if the future of F1 is people not being able to say the truth on official F1 content... who the feck cares anymore? We've gotten used to F1 races being flogged off to any flogging dictatorship over the years but if this becomes the norm they can move FIA/Liberty etc. headquarters to north Korea for all I care.

RoadTrip

Horner did confirm that Red Bull would resume normal service with Sky at the Brazilian Grand Prix in two weeks.

“Service will be resumed, but we just wanted to lay down a marker to say that some things aren’t acceptable, and as a team, we stand together,” Horner continued.

“I think the accusation that the championship was being robbed is we don’t feel an impartial commentary, so obviously, we don’t feel it’s fair or balanced.

“Max was very upset about it, and as a team, we support him fully and equally we were upset about it so I took the decision that we’ll have a weekend off.”
I don’t see how it is biased commentary though. The point would have equally been the same if roles were reversed or indeed any other driver other than Hamilton was involved.

So trying to phrase it as bias is just a bullshit sound bite really for fans who want to latch on to something to latch on to. The reality is RB just didn’t like the opinion, not that it’s biased. And that’s fine by the way, and if they don’t want to speak to Sky then don’t speak to Sky.

Jerch

Well there are shit tons on races these days, and he's got the most dominant car since the prime Ferrari days of Schumacher... Not really all that crazy. About what you'd expect.
His win % is 70% while Schumacher in a 13 wins season was 72,2% and Vettel had 68,4% win percentage in his 13 wins season.
If Max wins next 2 races his win percentage will ve better then Schumacher's at 72,7%. So it's not just about many races.
if anything those early DNFs just helped pretend the season would be competitive. No doubt a big part of that is down to max’s driving ability too, but this team is just better in every area off the track, and the car has very little if any weaknesses on it.

I really hope next year the others can get on a similar level to really push him.
To be fair Ferrari was faster car in first races and he will probably be second in each race he DNFed in. People are forgetting how fast Ferrari looked at the start of the season. Some people started to speculate after third race if anyone can beat Leclerc (which was stupid to do but still).

Over spending pays off.
0,37% overspends, really.
People forget that their submission was around 5 mil bellow cost cap, as it's seems all the did the same to be safe, and they went over because of probably some stupid accounting rules.
If they could make another submissive with the knowledge they have now they would be probably millions below. It's on them they didn't do dry run etc. but to pretend it mattered on the performance front anyway is just crazy.

Abizzz

Yeah they clearly went over because of stupid accounting rules not because they spent the money.

RoadTrip

Eh I dunno, I don't think so. That was always thought about the 2 compound rule when it was brought in and it didn't happen that way. It's worth a try for a season.
Not averse to it. But the reason 2 compounds works is only when you’ve got something on the cusp of a 2 stop or 1 stop race. Or, on the odd occasion, where teams seem confused about data on longevity and reality (like yesterday).

With 3 compounds, every race will be a two stopper (assuming tyres in their current form and not changed on durability). And by large I’d expect teams to do the same thing generally. I could be wrong though and tbh am not averse to it being tried.

Mexico GP Race Result

pauldyson1uk

RankDriverNumberTeamGridPitsFastest LapRace TimePointsPts
1Max Verstappen1Red Bull111:22.0461:38:36.72925
2Lewis Hamilton44Mercedes311:22.06215.186 behind18
3Sergio Perez11Red Bull411:21.77518.097 behind15
4George Russell63Mercedes22
fastest overall lap 1:20.153
49.431 behind13
5Carlos Sainz Jnr55Ferrari511:22.19958.123 behind10
6Charles Leclerc16Ferrari711:22.6031:08.774 behind8
7Daniel Ricciardo3McLaren1111:22.0221 lap behind6
8Esteban Ocon31Alpine1011:23.2791 lap behind4
9Lando Norris4McLaren811:23.4021 lap behind2
10Valtteri Bottas77Alfa Romeo611:23.3631 lap behind1
11Pierre Gasly10AlphaTauri1411:22.2771 lap behind0
12Alexander Albon23Williams1711:22.9141 lap behind0
13Guanyu Zhou24Alfa Romeo1211:22.2601 lap behind0
14Sebastian Vettel5Aston Martin1611:23.0861 lap behind0
15Lance Stroll18Aston Martin2021:22.4631 lap behind0
16Mick Schumacher47Haas1511:23.6411 lap behind0
17Kevin Magnussen20Haas1911:23.3001 lap behind0
18Nicholas Latifi6Williams1821:23.7092 laps behind0
19Fernando Alonso14Alpine911:22.866did not finish completed 63 laps0
not classifiedYuki Tsunoda22AlphaTauri1311:23.403did not finish completed 50 laps0

RoadTrip

What’s the difference between 2nd and 3rd in the constructors? As in, difference in wind tunnel time. Difference in prize money. What else? I wonder because potentially for a team where finances aren’t an issue (Merc, Ferrari), at this stage would you even want to come 2nd over 3rd? Wondering if it explains perhaps whatever Ferrari decided to do to their cars yesterday.

pauldyson1uk

I don’t see how it is biased commentary though. The point would have equally been the same if roles were reversed or indeed any other driver other than Hamilton was involved.

So trying to phrase it as bias is just a bullshit sound bite really for fans who want to latch on to something to latch on to. The reality is RB just didn’t like the opinion, not that it’s biased. And that’s fine by the way, and if they don’t want to speak to Sky then don’t speak to Sky.
Not hearing from Horner during the race was a plus.
I did not think it was biased, it was just Ted being Ted, but also not shocked Red Bull took offense to it, nobody like being called cheats (even if you are, maybe!)

RoadTrip

Not hearing from Horner during the race was a plus.
I did not think it was biased, it was just Ted being Ted, but also not shocked Red Bull took offense to it, nobody like being called cheats (even if you are, maybe!)
The cheating point has nothing to do with Abu Dhabi though. Putting cost cap aside (as I don’t think that was Ted’s point was it?), Abu Dhabi wasn’t about calling RB cheats it was just about how the set of circumstances robbed Lewis the title. Which really had nothing to do with Red Bull but the inference is that as a result Max’s title is worth less because Lewis should have won.

In my opinion that’s just reality. Even if you assume what Masi did was fine, it’s still true because Lewis was stupidly unlucky to not with that race thanks to Latifi being Latifi (without which he’d have casually gone on to win).

Naturally Red Bull are upset about that opinion because it implies Max was lucky to win. But they can’t change the facts unfortunately.

Jerch

Yeah they clearly went over because of stupid accounting rules not because they spent the money.
Well you can also say that crash that Lewis responsible for costed them over 1 milion and just 2 races later Bottas has crashed in Max which resulted in another costly repear. So if Mercedes wanted to win fairly and not within bumper cars rules that would also resulted Red Bull not being over cost cap.

RoadTrip

Well you can also say that crash that Lewis responsible for costed them over 1 milion and just 2 races later Bottas has crashed in Max which resulted in another costly repear. So if Mercedes wanted to win fairly and not within bumper cars rules that would also resulted Red Bull not being over cost cap.
Because other teams weren’t involved in crashes that year? You know, like the damage caused by Max driving on Lewis’ head?

Abizzz

:boring:

I already established that it's Hamilton's fault through eating all the caviar in RB's hospitality suites.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
to be fair all he said was hamilton was robbed, which he was. he was winning the race comfortably and had less than 10 laps remaining. red bull had accepted defeat.

ted wasn’t accusing them of cheating, it’s just a fact that the safety car stole the win from hamilton. I have no idea why people are trying to get upset about the truth.
You know what they say... the truth hurts.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
How was Hamilton robbed ?? What about Silverstone ?? Don't tell me its a racing incident ?? Cuz if it was Hamilton wouldnt got this ridiculous time penalty , and continue the race and win 25 points while Verstappen was in the hospital !!
If you cannot understand how Hamilton was robbed, not just of the race but of an 8th WC, then you either didn't see the race, or you don't understand the rules. Which by the way, the FIA apologised for and sacked the race director.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Horner did confirm that Red Bull would resume normal service with Sky at the Brazilian Grand Prix in two weeks.

“Service will be resumed, but we just wanted to lay down a marker to say that some things aren’t acceptable, and as a team, we stand together,” Horner continued.

“I think the accusation that the championship was being robbed is we don’t feel an impartial commentary, so obviously, we don’t feel it’s fair or balanced.

“Max was very upset about it, and as a team, we support him fully and equally we were upset about it so I took the decision that we’ll have a weekend off.”
What rubbish. Horner yet again making himself look stupid.
....Max was very upset by it. Grow up.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
If you cannot understand how Hamilton was robbed, not just of the race but of an 8th WC, then you either didn't see the race, or you don't understand the rules. Which by the way, the FIA apologised for and sacked the race director.
It’s a bit sad that ted has re stirred this pot even it is true, Horner said during that race they need a miracle to catch Lewis, enter masi. That’s just facts. No fanboy, no horse in the race, just what happened. Shame f1 has become so tribal

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse

i reckon they should have to use all
of the compounds at the same time, say two rear hards, soft front left, medium front right. that would separate the men from the boys.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Oh really.
That was the only crash last season was it.

dinostar77

Minimum stops for Monaco definately. The rest of the season? Should be a choice. No to refuelling from me as well.

Maybe im out on my own on this, in the thread but i think ballast would have a huge change to F1. If max had to carry an additional 65kg of weight as championship leader, he wouldnt have been sleep-driving himself to consecutive victories.

However on the flipside. RedBull utterly nailed the rule changes and produced their best car since vettel years at RedBull. It really is on Mercedes and Ferrari shoulder to produce a car next season that can challenge.

Will be interesting to see if RedBull lose the straight line speed advantage next season, i dont doubt that Ferrari and Mercedes will have Shell and Petronas working overtime to get their fuel addatives sorted out. Optimise ERS deployment. Add to that weight reduction, making their cars less draggy (RB have set the template).

However probably more important than anything, nail the suspension setup.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
That was very boring race.

It has to be said, strategies this year from all teams except Red Bull have been mostly poor, it's like they get different set of 10 different compounds every weekend and not the same tires they have used for 20 races now. Also I don't get how they don't learn anything from 3 full practice sessions before every race.

Russel learned mid race and insisted that he can go on medium-soft strategy from that point and yet his pit crew didn't agree with it for some reason.

F-Red

It certainly does, as Mercedes know very well. Spending hundreds of millions more than other teams before the budget caps came in
The top three teams were evenly matched coming into the budget cap dry run in 2020, more ten's of million difference rather than the conjecture of 'hundreds of millions more'.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/f...f1-teams-including-mercedes-red-bull-ferrari/

F1 Teams Budget Between 2015 & 2019
Mercedes$527.6M$352M$352.1M$400M$484M
Ferrari$474.7M$483.3M$295.3M$410M$463M
Red Bull$532.5M$286.2M$284M$310M$445M
McLaren$528.3M$246.4M$240.8M$220M$269M
Alpine (Renault/Lotus)$149.8M199.8M$195.4M$190M$272M
Aston Martin (Racing Point/Force India)$147.3M$119.2M$117M$120M$188M
AlphaTauri (Toro Rosso)$156.1M$132.8M$130.6M$150M$138M
Alfa Romeo (Sauber)$117.2M$126M$123.8M$135M$132M
Williams$217.7M$139.6M$136.3M$150M$141M
HaasNA

F-Red

It has to be said, strategies this year from all teams except Red Bull have been mostly poor, it's like they get different set of 10 different compounds every weekend and not the same tires they have used for 20 races now. Also I don't get how they don't learn anything from 3 full practice sessions before every race.
Everyone played it safe bar Ricciardo yesterday. To your point above, they learn as much as they can but they never run a car at full weight with fuel until the race, so they'll rely a lot on data from previous races to help there. However the variables of weather, track temperature, and track condition will always impact strategy to some point where they can't guarantee an absolute strategy.

Pirelli should probably go a bit more aggressive on compound choices next year to open up a variety of strategy choices.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It certainly does, as Mercedes know very well. Spending hundreds of millions more than other teams before the budget caps came in
How do you know that. Based on what actual data because I was not aware that teams published their spend.

Fluctuation0161

0,37% overspends, really.
People forget that their submission was around 5 mil bellow cost cap, as it's seems all the did the same to be safe, and they went over because of probably some stupid accounting rules.
If they could make another submissive with the knowledge they have now they would be probably millions below. It's on them they didn't do dry run etc. but to pretend it mattered on the performance front anyway is just crazy.
What percentage of the car development budget was their over spend? That would be a more relevant metric.

How many other teams made this "mistake"?

Dodgiest team on the grid.

pauldyson1uk

Minimum stops for Monaco definately. The rest of the season? Should be a choice. No to refuelling from me as well.

Maybe im out on my own on this, in the thread but i think ballast would have a huge change to F1. If max had to carry an additional 65kg of weight as championship leader, he wouldnt have been sleep-driving himself to consecutive victories.

However on the flipside. RedBull utterly nailed the rule changes and produced their best car since vettel years at RedBull. It really is on Mercedes and Ferrari shoulder to produce a car next season that can challenge.

Will be interesting to see if RedBull lose the straight line speed advantage next season, i dont doubt that Ferrari and Mercedes will have Shell and Petronas working overtime to get their fuel addatives sorted out. Optimise ERS deployment. Add to that weight reduction, making their cars less draggy (RB have set the template).

However probably more important than anything, nail the suspension setup.
Extra weight would, bring all the cars closer, but also add extra wear and tear , costing the top teams more in the long run, came see any team wanting it really.
Next season, hopefully we will see a few teams in it, Red Bull, Ferrari and Mercedes.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Everyone played it safe bar Ricciardo yesterday. To your point above, they learn as much as they can but they never run a car at full weight with fuel until the race, so they'll rely a lot on data from previous races to help there. However the variables of weather, track temperature, and track condition will always impact strategy to some point where they can't guarantee an absolute strategy.

Pirelli should probably go a bit more aggressive on compound choices next year to open up a variety of strategy choices.
It seems that Red Bull learns from somewhere wher others don't then.

I don't see how after all practice session Mercedes drivers come out and say "hards are shit", despite their team choosing hards to be used in more than half of the race. How exactly did they decide hards are good option if they didn't do any testing before?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I’m not sure why this makes a difference? Pundits are paid to give an opinion, whether on an official broadcast or not. The issue here isn’t that he is giving a biased opinion. The issue is really that you’ve first made the assumption that an opinion which benefits Lewis must be biased in the first place. I can’t speak for Ted, but I believe 99% of people who hold the view that Hamilton was robbed last year including me would equally strongly hold that view if it was any of the other 18 drivers on the grid. Therefore to me it isn’t biased, it’s just an opinion which he is paid to offer.
I guess I would just draw a clear distinction between something said on a broadcast during a race versus someone talking about it on a panel. I agree with his take of course - Lewis was absolutely robbed - but I can also understand why Verstappen would be annoyed that this is being brought up out of nowhere in the middle of a race for everyone to hear. Again, I would say that if Ted had done this after a race or in some other medium that would be entirely fair - but I personally don't think Verstappen is being overly precious here if that makes sense.

The Hilton

Verstappen, Horner, and the rest of Red Bull are perfectly within their rights to refuse any interviews with Sky, like Fergie with the BBC for years.

However, given that Sky have paid an awful lot for broadcasting rights, those refusals should be fined every time, just like Fergie was. Then at least it becomes principle as well as pettiness.