F1 2022 Season

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Disappointed in Renault / Alpine the most, they are a manufacturer and were fully focused on these new regs. To be that far off with no clear issues like Mercedes and McLaren is poor. I was really hoping to see Alonso at least challenge for podiums but I think his time is done.

Max and Leclerc are the future of F1 and looks like they have solid cars to fight the next few years. Amazing they are only separated by a tenth after completely new regs.

dinostar77

Worth a mention that on june 30th, depending on constructors standing the CFD/Wind Tunnel allocation will be modified.

It will then be reassessed at end of the season. So in theory if ferrari were leading the Constructors by June 30th, they would see their allocation reduced for the rest of the season.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It will be interesting how much a factor the new regs which are designed to allow for 'better racing' ie less dirty air will have in voiding out or making the qualis less relevant -- other than for Monaco and possibly Singapore.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Totto said they are 0.5 off in race pace at the moment, which is huge. However they have alot of speed to find on the track to match the simulation predictions. There is a huge amount of untapped potential in the car apparently.

Of course Ferrari and RB will improve, but improvements will depend on the design of the car and how much more can squeezed out of them. The ceiling potential of each car on the grid will be different and theres the cost assoiciated with the upgrades and the aero/CFD time.
Back in 2005, the Ferrari was still a ripper car. The difficult was that the Bridgestone rubber was trash and they couldn’t make a tyre that could heat up quick enough and last the race distance.

Similarly the McLaren in 15/16 purportedly had the best chassis on the grid but was let down by the Honda engine.

The issues may be fine in simulation, but it doesn’t always translate to on track performance and there could just inherently be flaws in the merc design which they’ll be chasing for the rest of the season.

I still hold my opinion to the fact that they’ve well and truly fecked up somewhere with the design and pretty much had to start from scratch hence the two different side pod layouts.

I also think the Merc engine last year made McLaren slightly better than where they really should have been and perhaps we’ll see them drop back to the alpine/hass/Alfa fight… which is tremendous for viewers.

dinostar77

Back in 2005, the Ferrari was still a ripper car. The difficult was that the Bridgestone rubber was trash and they couldn’t make a tyre that could heat up quick enough and last the race distance.

Similarly the McLaren in 15/16 purportedly had the best chassis on the grid but was let down by the Honda engine.

The issues may be fine in simulation, but it doesn’t always translate to on track performance and there could just inherently be flaws in the merc design which they’ll be chasing for the rest of the season.

I still hold my opinion to the fact that they’ve well and truly fecked up somewhere with the design and pretty much had to start from scratch hence the two different side pod layouts.

I also think the Merc engine last year made McLaren slightly better than where they really should have been and perhaps we’ll see them drop back to the alpine/hass/Alfa fight… which is tremendous for viewers.
Ted Kravitz in his notebook, mentioned that Totto Wolff said that today was the first day this season that Mercedes have been able to concentrate on the car for this season and not the porposing issue.

They have 5-6 big issues to resolve on the car, but expect a significant improvement in performance when they do.

He also said seperately which was quoted in a article on The Race website, that Mercedes dropped the ball with the porposing issue after the first test as they were concentrating too much on the upgrades for the second test and not analysing the data correctly for the porposing issue as they should have. Therefore they have been playing catchup ever since.

There is no inherit design flaw with the car, the porposing is an indication that the car is producing alot of downforce and that it needs to be controlled.

The two different sidepod designs isnt because of a cockup in design. To run slim sidepods requires alot of rework of the cooling of the car and the powertrain. Mercedes were working on the cooling of this year's car a year ago as explained by the head of Mercedes F1 Powertrains. So they always had the slim sidepods in their plans. They just didnt want to give away their idea too early to the competition hence delaying the thin sidepods till the 2nd test. RB did similar with a host of upgrades to the car for the 2nd test.

Last edited:

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Ted Kravitz in his notebook, mentioned that Totto Wolff said that today was the first day this season that Mercedes have been able to concentrate on the car for this season and not the porposing issue.

They have 5-6 big issues to resolve on the car, but expect a significant improvement in performance when they do.

He also said seperately which was quoted in a article on The Race website, that Mercedes dropped the ball with the porposing issue after the first test as they were concentrating too much on the upgrades for the second test and not analysing the data correctly for the porposing issue as they should have. Therefore they have been playing catchup ever since.

There is no inherit design flaw with the car, the porposing is an indication that the car is producing alot of downforce and that it needs to be controlled.

The two different sidepod designs isnt because of a cockup in design. To run slim sidepods requires alot of rework of the cooling of the car and the powertrain. Mercedes were working on the cooling of this year's car a year ago as explained by the head of Mercedes F1 Powertrains. So they always had the slim sidepods in their plans. They just didnt want to give away their idea too early to the competition hence delaying the thin sidepods till the 2nd test. RB did similar with a host of upgrades to the car for the 2nd test.
You’re aware these regs were suppose to start last year right?

These cars have been in development far longer than the last 12 months hence the reason there was a development freeze for last years cars.

Youre also misconceived in regard to the difference between Redbull changes and Mercedes. Redbulls changes are largely evolution not materially changing the design of the aero flow over the top of the car… Mercedes had no reason to hide those side pods because there is zero chance of anybody copying them between the shakedown and today-this year. A few weeks makes feck all difference for that kind of change and the level of work required (as you admitted) to redevelop the car.

Merc will never come out and admit they fecked up their design but its pointing right now to the idea something went very wrong in late 2020 and they threw out their design and started again. Even now it’s clear they have aero flow issues with the current car and are struggling to deal with it. Hidden potential my arse, this is a Ferrari circa 1996 with Barnards wack arse design.

Last edited:

F-Red

Redbulls changes are largely evolution not materially changing the design of the aero flow over the top of the car…
They've moved from a high rake philosophy which is what they've had for the last 12-13 years, to a low rake philosophy. It's an revolution by their standards.

Norris

I am so happy that Ferrari got a 1,3. Hope this is the year that the Scuedria are finally back in the big picture, but don't want to get my hopes up too soon. Another Team in red, already does this to me every year. :nervous:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I think they are trying to say that there was no bias in Masi, however they know that they don't expand. Fully agree with the rest.

How can you come up with a report that validates a winning season but invalidates the last needed points?

Last question, will Horner apologise for his part n this?
I am sure you know the answer to your appropriate question.
Will he fxxk...

pauldyson1uk

I think they are trying to say that there was no bias in Masi, however they know that they don't expand. Fully agree with the rest.

How can you come up with a report that validates a winning season but invalidates the last needed points?

Last question, will Horner apologise for his part n this?
not a chance, hell will freeze over before that.

dinostar77

You’re aware these regs were suppose to start last year right?

These cars have been in development far longer than the last 12 months hence the reason there was a development freeze for last years cars.

Youre also misconceived in regard to the difference between Redbull changes and Mercedes. Redbulls changes are largely evolution not materially changing the design of the aero flow over the top of the car… Mercedes had no reason to hide those side pods because there is zero chance of anybody copying them between the shakedown and today-this year. A few weeks makes feck all difference for that kind of change and the level of work required (as you admitted) to redevelop the car.

Merc will never come out and admit they fecked up their design but its pointing right now to the idea something went very wrong in late 2020 and they threw out their design and started again. Even now it’s clear they have aero flow issues with the current car and are struggling to deal with it. Hidden potential my arse, this is a Ferrari circa 1996 with Barnards wack arse design.
The actual CFD and wind tunnel work only began last season. Thats why teams like Haas did no upgrades last season to their car and devoted all their resources to this years car.

The CFD and Wind tunnel time scaling allocation started last season as well.

Also these are the biggest changes in F1 in 49 years, completely different aero philosophy to last season, so every car on the grid is a revolution not an evolution.

But start your Mercedes bashing early, dont even wait for the first race to start.

Last edited:

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Struggling to watch this season after what happened last season. Crazy that after such an incredible season Masi has made me fall out of love with formula one

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Struggling to watch this season after what happened last season. Crazy that after such an incredible season Masi has made me fall out of love with formula one
That sentiment is completely understandable.
Edit.
And by the way, I simply do not buy the human error bit. It was deliberate.

Abizzz

It was getting better again for me until that "report" just regurgitated all the bull shit they have come up with over these past months.

I'm glad Ferrari looks to be on pace but to be honest I don't really care anymore. It doesn't mean anything if it can be decided on the whim of a "official" and the governing body then insists that that's fine. It's more action entertainment than a sport now anyway. Luxury family sedans have more horsepower than these cars and stuff like the IDR are technically more advanced (despite being years old). Marketing is the only thing it's still the pinacle of.

dinostar77

Totally get that. Lets hope we get the outcome we want at the end of this season and we can all move on.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Sometimes a line has to be crossed for things to become better. Hopefully the authorities learn from the outrage and ensure it doesn't happen again.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I’m looking forward to later today but have a nagging feeling that I want merc to do well and Hamilton to win the championship just because of last year so can’t quite find the excitement of seeing Ferrari doing well or of it being a close year.
And I say this as someone who was never a fan of Hamilton or him winning every year, its just the way he had it taken from him last year.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Totally get that. Lets hope we get the outcome we want at the end of this season and we can all move on.
The issue is that the bad feeling doesn't go away. The FIA have just confirmed how gutless and corrupt they are. We like our sport to be scrupulously fair, some of us have appreciated so many drivers over the years it would be impossible to pick one driver or even one team but this continues to leave a bad taste and so far I can't see anything changing that. It's left me wondering why I would bother really.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
The decision to let them race that last lap has undoubtedly increased the profile of the sport and added extra drama to the following season, helping to change the perspective of F1 as a predictable and monotonous watch to one of jeopardy and excitement. But what Masi done was the equivalent of awarding a penalty in the 90th minute for a clean tackle intentionally to let the underdog win the premier league. The fact he needed to sacrifice the integrity of the competition to satisfy the narrative really damages the sports reputation and just to how serious it can be taken. It risks being made to look like WWE.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I’m looking forward to later today but have a nagging feeling that I want merc to do well and Hamilton to win the championship just because of last year so can’t quite find the excitement of seeing Ferrari doing well or of it being a close year.
And I say this as someone who was never a fan of Hamilton or him winning every year, its just the way he had it taken from him last year.
Very much agree.
If there is any justice in the sport, which of course there is not, he will get his hugely deserved 8th WC. But unlike Max, he will be a proper winner. Not a contrived one.

pauldyson1uk

I can understand the feelings of some on here, last season still leaves a nasty taste and always will , but you have to accept it.
I dont buy the human error part, I am saying that Masi was told that if there was a way to give it to Max than it had to happen, the crash , they way Mercedes had to leave Lewis out instead of pitting him, gave Masi that chance. Was it was fixed, not thats not what I am saying, manipulated yes thats just what I am saying, if Latiffi had not crashed then there was nothing Masi could've done.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The decision to let them race that last lap has undoubtedly increased the profile of the sport and added extra drama to the following season, helping to change the perspective of F1 as a predictable and monotonous watch to one of jeopardy and excitement. But what Masi done was the equivalent of awarding a penalty in the 90th minute for a clean tackle intentionally to let the underdog win the premier league. The fact he needed to sacrifice the integrity of the competition to satisfy the narrative really damages the sports reputation and just to how serious it can be taken. It risks being made to look like WWE.
The last lap was not a race. It was a walk over. That is the point.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
It was clearly manipulated for the drama and excitement. I don't buy that it was manipulated for Max to win. If the drivers were swapped at the Latifi crash, I see the same thing happening. What does everyone expect with the American showrunners now?

phelans shorts

This talk of a fix is utter nonsense. If it was fixed or manipulated then Masi would surely have made Lewis give first back when he overtook off the track, as he should have done.

What blatantly happened is that Masi realised he messed up sending the safety car out rather than red flagging it, tried to correct that mistake and instead managed to pour fuel on the fire.

Also the idea Max is a paper champion based on one incident on the last lap of the last race, ignoring he was leading the championship at the start of the last race is actually quite funny tbh.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
This talk of a fix is utter nonsense. If it was fixed or manipulated then Masi would surely have made Lewis give first back when he overtook off the track, as he should have done.

What blatantly happened is that Masi realised he messed up sending the safety car out rather than red flagging it, tried to correct that mistake and instead managed to pour fuel on the fire.

Also the idea Max is a paper champion based on one incident on the last lap of the last race, ignoring he was leading the championship at the start of the last race is actually quite funny tbh.
We'll never really know what the motivation Masi held, we can definitely know what was in Horner's mind and that was to persuade the Race Director to make a decision that was inconsistent with the rules and in his driver and teams favour.

The FIA chose this weekend to present a fait accompli, what was their motivation in this? The investigation can't have taken much longer than an afternoon, ok, let's be generous, give them a week. This should have been announced last year if they wanted to draw a line under it, the PR now is that Shenanigans have been allowed.

Why it would be funny that a guy was not winning a race that would have meant losing the Championship and then, amazingly did with assistance from the chief official? Well it's only funny if that's the way your mind works I guess.

Why we should expect better from the FIA is actually a bit of a mystery, I've seen them do this sort of thing before, I've seen drivers that needed another driver not to finish in the points so that they would win the Championship take those drivers out, on the track. The FIA are gutless and corrupt, that's not funny either really.

redshaw

The sport has been soured, he ignored the rules to hand Max the championship after being nowhere in the race after Hamilton put in a brilliant drive to lead and deservedly win the title. Hamilton came back very strong at the end of the season all for it to be taken away, months of effort to get back to be on the brink of winning, extracting the maximum out of the car to bring it back into contention was incredible, that was the sport at its best, a super human effort of hundreds of laps at full tilt only for some cnut to ruin it at the end. there was no need, the comeback and battle between them had taken place, Lewis had won.

Masi was poor in pervious races though, all this soppy back and forth on air and negotiating things, taking suggestions from team bosses. Apply the rules, don't give me this soppy bartering on air.

I wonder if the drivers feel a bit off, maybe it's the other things going on but they look subdued like there's a bad atmosphere

Leg-End

The report has done nothing but annoy, if you read it in full I think considering the magnitude of the issue in front of a global audience, it’s a poor effort with factual errors.

I’ve watched the sport for a long time, every single season I’ve had the buzz for it and this includes years of following teams/drivers that had no chance of winning (BAR/Honda in particular), I can’t muster the enthusiasm I had before and I don’t think that will return in full. F1 failed itself that day.

Ferrari being competitive is good though and I do think Leclerc/Sainz is a likeable pairing, we just need Ferrari not to revert to type after about 4 races and actually sustain this performance level.

That being said, Max will win today.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
By that standard Damon Hill never won a WDC.
And that time he knew what Schumacher would be prepared to do and was ready for it.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
The report has done nothing but annoy, if you read it in full I think considering the magnitude of the issue in front of a global audience, it’s a poor effort with factual errors.

I’ve watched the sport for a long time, every single season I’ve had the buzz for it and this includes years of following teams/drivers that had no chance of winning (BAR/Honda in particular), I can’t muster the enthusiasm I had before and I don’t think that will return in full. F1 failed itself that day.

Ferrari being competitive is good though and I do think Leclerc/Sainz is a likeable pairing, we just need Ferrari not to revert to type after about 4 races and actually sustain this performance level.

That being said, Max will win today.
Living in Italy I'm pleased for my neighbours that they'll be in amongst it now. I'm a McLaren fan, have been since the 70s and it would have been tough if winning was everything. There's a lot to enjoy in F1 and motorsport in general quite apart from being a one driver one team fan, but this has been bad for the sport.

Asger

Ffs, can you stop talking about last season. Last race was far from the only thing Masi and co fecked up.

redshaw

Yes it's going to be interesting to see if Ferrari can keep the challenge up to Red Bull. If the car is up to it then you have two strong drivers in Leclerc and Sainz but they can end up taking points off each other. Perez is a bit too weak for a second driver but at least won't affect Max, ideally you want a balance like Vettel and Webber to clean up.

Abizzz

And that time he knew what Schumacher would be prepared to do and was ready for it.
I somehow messed up Villeneuve and Hill. Too many controversies over the years yet most were handled better than this one.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Yes it's going to be interesting to see if Ferrari can keep the challenge up to Red Bull. If the car is up to it then you have two strong drivers in Leclerc and Sainz but they can end up taking points off each other. Perez is a bit too weak for a second driver but at least won't affect Max, ideally you want a balance like Vettel and Webber to clean up.
Webber in a car that could win would have been good to see.