F1 2024 Season

Telsim

So, the differences from last season are RB being even better somehow, McLaren marginally worse, Haas marginally better, Alpine disaster. Everything else the same.

stu_1992

Honestly such a boring race, disappointingly predictable but maybe I'm a fool for expecting anything else.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
The two drivers on podium don't haves drives next season currently...

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Well there is a lot of time for that,, doubt he is even at his peak to be involved in those comparisions
Pretty sure he's always said though he doesn't want to be a driver that goes until he's 35-40 though. I would have thought he would dip like Rosberg at around 30-32ish.

hobbers

If I were Toto I think I'd only be interested in putting Alonso or Sainz in that second Mercedes.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Verstappen going to destroy all Hamilton's record like Djokovic did to Federer in the coming years. Scared brits already making up excuses to downplay the inevitable overtaking of titles won, just as Federer fans were giving it large about his number of Grand Slams only to change the debate to who plays the prettiest tennis. :lol: :houllier:

avgp_1

Pretty sure he's always said though he doesn't want to be a driver that goes until he's 35-40 though. I would have thought he would dip like Rosberg at around 30-32ish.
Yeah think he''ll step away to try Endurance and then come back once he's done all that.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
People are forgeting that especially before the cost cap we had teams literally spending themselves out of bag well ahead of others.

Is the only solution then to also give other teams more money to spend? Say when United or Arse were dominating the PL, Barca or Real La Liga or Bayern the Bundesliga - should they all had their resources clipped or other teams have been given more of the league and broadcasting cuts to close the gap? In theory this cost cap and wind tunnel time increase is arguably a very solid concept to prevent run aways but at the same time does that mean its unfair to teams doing the work better than others? It's honestly a bit of an odd phenomenon - F1 is far less of a elite vs non elite team sport now than it was for decades.

I'd argue the biggest reason why we don't see gaps being closed is mostly down to regs being far more restrictive than during the previous Merc and Ferrari domination eras. Teams are a lot less able to introduce crazy concepts to gain an advantage. And even if they do- say the double diffuser, the old regs allowed the more powerful teams to rather quickly apply it to their own cars and improve upon it.

Edit: p.s. I do agree I wish RB had a more competitive driver in the second seat.

Last edited:

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Tbh it's not that different to Hamilton and Schumacher, one team being capable of winning is massively dull even when the second driver isn't incompetent.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
100m contract for a washed up Hamilton sounds like incredibly bad business by Ferrari.

hp88

If I were Toto I think I'd only be interested in putting Alonso or Sainz in that second Mercedes.
Sainz everyday over Alonso, would be a good battle to watch as well between him and George.

dinostar77

People are forgeting that especially before the cost cap we had teams literally spending themselves out of bag well ahead of others.

Is the only solution then to also give other teams more money to spend? Say when United or Arse were dominating the PL, Barca or Real La Liga or Bayern the Bundesliga - should they all had their resources clipped or other teams have been given more of the league and broadcasting cuts to close the gap? In theory this cost cap and wind tunnel time increase is arguably a very solid concept to prevent run aways but at the same time does that mean its unfair to teams doing the work better than others? It's honestly a bit of an odd phenomenon - F1 is far less of a elite vs non elite team sport now than it was for decades.

I'd argue the biggest reason why we don't see gaps being closed is mostly down to regs being far more restrictive than during the previous Merc and Ferrari domination eras. Teams are a lot less able to introduce crazy concepts to gain an advantage. And even if they do- say the double diffuser, the old regs allowed the more powerful teams to rather quickly apply it to their own cars and improve upon it.

Edit: p.s. I do agree I wish RB had a more competitive driver in the second seat.
The cost cap is the big problem, if it didnt exist then the likes of ferrari and mercedes could close the gap in season. They cant. Mercedes even said this years car isnt everything they wanted to do as they couldnt afford it under the cost cap.

Same will have in 2026. A team will nail the regs and new engines and one driver will win 4-5 championships unchallenged.

The cost cap is a disaster for fans of the sport.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Verstappen going to destroy all Hamilton's record like Djokovic did to Federer in the coming years. Scared brits already making up excuses to downplay the inevitable overtaking of titles won, just as Federer fans were giving it large about his number of Grand Slams only to change the debate to who plays the prettiest tennis. :lol: :houllier:
don’t worry, the fia will get bored and start making up rules to gift titles to others.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Just checked the results... Max wins by 20-odd seconds and laps half the field.

See you in 2025, lads. Have fun.

hobbers

Sainz everyday over Alonso, would be a good battle to watch as well between him and George.
Sainz would win that battle I think.

Alonso though could be box office, unless he slows down this season, and maybe would be easier team dynamic than two drivers close in level and at the same stage of their career. Also if they wanted to give Antonelli an easier route into the seat.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Oh yeah, completely forgot Liberty ruined post-race cooldown room in lieu of shit interviews. Add it to the list.

hobbers

Though Bottas was a very clear level down from Rosberg.

Bottas had almost identical numbers of wins and podiums in his first 2.5 seasons at Mercedes as Perez at Red Bull. But some will try and tell you he was a much more competitive team mate and somehow not a constant free win for Lewis.

United Hobbit

I can imagine Perez ending up in the equivalent of a Bottas seat in a mid table team

I'm starting to wonder if Sainz is a bit better than Leclerc. It doesn't help Leclerc car often has problems though, so it's hard to tell

Castia

The sport is stale. How the heck did Red Bull produce a car that feels twice as fast as the rest

Feels like a complete waste of time watching

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
TV production managed to be even worse than the last year.