Fabio da Silva | 2010/11 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Unless I'm mistaken, didn't Fabio play in midfield in the CC once? Or did I imagine it? I also seem to recall someone saying he's well in midfield for the reserves. I can't be imagining both, surely?
Fabio played centre midfield for the reserves, about a month or 2 ago. Rafael played centre midfield in the CC last season, against Barnsley i think it was.

Scholesy

Scholesy made a perfectly reasonable point. It's quite possible that Fabio only started playing on the left to make room for his (then) weaker brother on the right. This may of course not be true, and maybe you know better?

If so please enlighten us instead of replying with a stupid fecking smiley.
Thank you for this. I often get accused of spoiling threads but there are a number of posters who just do the smiley, Delfouneso, Modric when it is completely pointess and messes up the thread.Olease do not talk about this here before another thread is messed up.

I must be insane or something but isn't it unusual to play a right footed defender on the left? Or the opposite, although I do remember Evra coming at RB against Roma 7-1. I was reading Drogba was a right back in the early stages in his career Pogue, and if you were his manager you wouldn't have given him a chance as a striker then since he has played at RB all of his youth career.

Neutral

BTV
Carlton Palmer - kill yourself.

He is a host for CL matches out here in Asia, and when asked to review United last night, this was his comment.

"That performance by Fabio was the worst performance I've ever seen from a left back in all my years of watching football, you could tell there was a goal coming from that side of the attack. I can't believe Fergie let him out there to play. I also wonder if they signed Fabio to help the better of the brothers(Rafael) settle...you know teams do that sometimes."

You lot complain about Gray, Hansen, Shearer....but this is who we get. Dimwitted bastard, the goal came because Carrick lost possession, so of course we got caught short at the back. Yes Fabio was a bit out of place a few times last night, but the worst performance EVER?

I'd say I can't wait to get out of here, but back in Australia, I have the expertise of Craig 'fozzie' Foster awaiting me. Trust me, you guys are blessed.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I was reading Drogba was a right back in the early stages in his career Pogue, and if you were his manager you wouldn't have given him a chance as a striker then since he has played at RB all of his youth career.
Which part of Fabio's game convinces you that he can play as a regular central midfielder? Because I don't see it at all.

Dion

Carlton Palmer - kill yourself.

He is a host for CL matches out here in Asia, and when asked to review United last night, this was his comment.

"That performance by Fabio was the worst performance I've ever seen from a left back in all my years of watching football, you could tell there was a goal coming from that side of the attack. I can't believe Fergie let him out there to play. I also wonder if they signed Fabio to help the better of the brothers(Rafael) settle...you know teams do that sometimes."

You lot complain about Gray, Hansen, Shearer....but this is who we get. Dimwitted bastard, the goal came because Carrick lost possession, so of course we got caught short at the back. Yes Fabio was a bit out of place a few times last night, but the worst performance EVER?

I'd say I can't wait to get out of here, but back in Australia, I have the expertise of Craig 'fozzie' Foster awaiting me. Trust me, you guys are blessed.
Anyone who appears on "Come dine with me" loses the right to talk about football.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke

TBF Carlton Palmer would know about playing shite more than most.

Scholesy

Which part of Fabio's game convinces you that he can play as a regular central midfielder? Because I don't see it at all.
He is comfortable on the ball, tenacious and I believe he likes to get into the box. If he is forced to play on his weaker foot all the time at left back, and I know it is a strong 'weak' foot, then it is harder for him to complete accurate passes or crosses. His crossing is decent with his left, but its not great. In a midfield two, I'm not exactly sure where he would fit in, but I would like to see him in a three, and just give him the role of box to box.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
He is comfortable on the ball, tenacious and I believe he likes to get into the box. If he is forced to play on his weaker foot all the time at left back, and I know it is a strong 'weak' foot, then it is harder for him to complete accurate passes or crosses. His crossing is decent with his left, but its not great. In a midfield two, I'm not exactly sure where he would fit in, but I would like to see him in a three, and just give him the role of box to box.
Fair dues. I don't think he has the physical presence to play as a box to box midfielder. Nor does he have the passing range to play the passing midfielder role. I agree about the "getting into the box" part. He seems very good at that. If he is to move further forward I can only see it as a winger. But then his crossing and passing isn't the best for that role. We shall see what happens. But I've liked him at LB and been impressed with him the last few times. (West Ham aside). I don't think your idea is as outrageous but I don't think he has the attributes to be a regular in midfield. Not for big matches anyway.

Playing as a fullback on the opposite side of your strongest foot isn't all that novel. Irwin and Lahm made careers out of it.

Scholesy

Yes, but its still unusual for a defender to play on the opposite side. Can you imagine how our team would look with Evra at RB and Rafael at LB?

I don't see Fabio as our future first choice LB. I see him as a utility player.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Thank you for this. I often get accused of spoiling threads but there are a number of posters who just do the smiley, Delfouneso, Modric when it is completely pointess and messes up the thread.Olease do not talk about this here before another thread is messed up.

I must be insane or something but isn't it unusual to play a right footed defender on the left? Or the opposite, although I do remember Evra coming at RB against Roma 7-1. I was reading Drogba was a right back in the early stages in his career Pogue, and if you were his manager you wouldn't have given him a chance as a striker then since he has played at RB all of his youth career.
It's unusual as full backs/wing backs are usually not as technically gifted or clever on the ball as other players. Defensively it's not a problem though. Playing left or right back isn't any different then changing your stance.

Irwin played left back, O'shea has played both, Lahm has done so successfully so it's not exactly madness. Especially if you grow up playing that position.

Playing in him midfield could work on some level but he'd probably get found out a lot vs experience.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Yes, but its still unusual for a defender to play on the opposite side. Can you imagine how our team would look with Evra at RB and Rafael at LB?
Both have spent their entire careers on the side that they currently play on, whereas Fabio has spent the last decade or so on the left. On the other hand you have Irwin and Lahm who are equally good on either side and in fact spent most of their careers on their 'opposite' side, not to mention O'Shea who has always been significantly better on his 'wrong' side.

Yes, there are question marks over whether Fabio will succeed to the necessary level, but the question marks would be significantly higher if we sudddenly attempt to change him to a completely new position.

Berlinknives

Both have spent their entire careers on the side that they currently play on, whereas Fabio has spent the last decade or so on the left. On the other hand you have Irwin and Lahm who are equally good on either side and in fact spent most of their careers on their 'opposite' side, not to mention O'Shea who has always been significantly better on his 'wrong' side.

Yes, there are question marks over whether Fabio will succeed to the necessary level, but the question marks would be significantly higher if we sudddenly attempt to change him to a completely new position.
Rafael did come on for Evra at the start of the season, and didn't swap places with O'Shea, he also played leftback against Scunthorpe I think

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Well... if you argue the case when you make a controversial point, then people will be much less inclined to take the piss. Nothing wrong with an alternative view but if you just put it out there with very little justification people will react the way they do.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
Could he play in midfield as well then?
You never seem to be happy with what we've got. He's done well where he is, and you've got no evidence to go on he would be better in midfield. As a matter of fact considering where he's played for the last 10 years of his life, it's proposterous to suggest he learns a new skill set and completely different discipline in an area he'd struggle to break into.

I'm convinced you just see a random moment a player does, or a random skill that could be beneficial elsewhere on the field, and think "I know, this will be controversial" and post it. There is no basis for many things you say.
He played in the middle of the park during the u17 Championships around the time we signed them (Rafael played attacking mid/striker at the time)

It's not that preposterous a suggestion - Rafael has played in midfield for us before. I'm not saying I'm all for giving him a run in the middle but I'd not be against it either.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
Getting lessons in tackling from Brown, loved the challenge on Thomas.

Boothy

Thought he did alright when he came on, won us the corner that won the match

Widnes

should start at right back when Rafael isn't playing, when you look at how rafael progressed with game time he will do the same but can't get enough of it at left back.

SirAF

Ageist
Pleased with Fabio today, a bit rash a couple of times - but overall he did well.

Danish Wizard

should start at right back when Rafael isn't playing, when you look at how rafael progressed with game time he will do the same but can't get enough of it at left back.
Spot on. More games, and he will develop like his brother. He should play right back, when Rafael is rested or injured.
Let him play against Stoke, and then Rafael is probably back for the Liverpool clash..
Superb talent in the making, no doubt. He just need matches, like every other young talent..

Ole'sbodyguard

He did alright when he came on. He's still got plenty to learn about defending though. The tackle he made for the booking was rash and was always going to lead to a free kick and a card. Plus the way he let Jerome Thomas leave him for dead was probably the most dangerous piece of play WBA had in the second half, penalty aside.

I always thought pigeon holing Rafael as weak defensively but good going forward was a poor bit of generalsing but it's true of Fabio at the moment. The only way he is going to learn is by playing more and he should get more games as the season goes on.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I've said it before but Fabio is (unsurprisingly) developing in exactly the same way as his bro. He's at the same level now, with the same strengths and weaknesses, as Rafael was after this amount of games.

Such great little players though. Game as anything. I hope they become the next Nevilles.

tyrone red

I thought he was the only postive that we could take from the first half. He was very energetic down the left. Needs alot more games to be judged.

RonaldoVII

so how did he do today? looks like he only lasted a half, indication of poor play, tactical change or injury?
Had to have been injury because I thought he was our best player in the first half. We played a narrow formation so the only width was going to come from the full backs and he had no competition with O'Shea. He defended well, though, and got forward at every opportunity. It wasn't easy because he often had nobody to link with so was stuck against 1 or 2 defenders but was definitely promising. Shame he had to come off.

Brophs

The One and Only
He was among the best of a bad bunch in the first half and in the second he didn't appear. I'd guess an injury but I don't think it was mentioned.

westlife4ever

Was it because of that ridiculous tackle Fabio suffered? The ref didn't even book the Soton player.

I think him and Owen were the only two who played well in the first half.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
You can see though he's lacking games though. He was providing width, but no real crosses of note. I didn't think he looked that comfortable and looked better coming inside. Hopefully he gets more games and become even more confident because he did ok but I reckon he can do an awful lot better

Transfer United Till I Die

I am totally in the know, honest
He's a carbon copy of Rafael really, which is no surprise, but is 12-18 months behind in his development due to his injuries. I see no reason why he cant go on and become a top left back. The skill is there he just needs experience and to toughen up a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.