Fabio da Silva | 2010/11 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

datura

It has to be taken in context against some pretty poor opposition. Rafael looked good in midfield last season in the Carling Cup, but that doesn't make him a midfielder.

We'll see how he develops, he's only really filling in there due to a surplus of defenders and lack of midfielders/attackers at reserve level currently.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
He's a left back but it's good for him to get experience of other positions.

datura

He looks better in midfield than at left back. And he is right footed. It doesn't make any real sense why he is being thought of as a left back.
He's looked good at first team level at left back, which is incomparable with watching him against the likes of Bury and Rochdale reserves. You need some perspective.

He has also played left back throughout his career and impressed from the juniors upwards so is more than comfortable there and his left foot is decent so no hindrance at all (and as someone else pointed out other very good full backs have played on the opposite side with no issues.

Scholesy

And Lahm too. That is all I can think of just now.

I know these are exceptions, but shouldn't we be trying Fabio in a position that the probability is greater for him to be a success in. If we switch 99% of any teams full backs such as Evra and Rafael, it becomes unbalanced, which means Fabio at LB is much more likely to follow this pattern, than being an exception like Irwin or Lahm.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
He looks better in midfield than at left back. And he is right footed. It doesn't make any real sense why he is being thought of as a left back.
He's played there for ages but it doesn't stop him getting forward or scoring goals. We have plenty of talent in the middle or maybe you want to play pogba/tunnlicliffe/morrison and the like at fullback? Fabio is not Rafael and should be treated on that basis. He's talented but there is a bigger picture. He can be influencial coming inside and scoring as opposed to being a traditional fullback that crosses. It's not so bad if we have width anyway

Scholesy

He's looked good at first team level at left back, which is incomparable with watching him against the likes of Bury and Rochdale reserves. You need some perspective.

He has also played left back throughout his career and impressed from the juniors upwards so is more than comfortable there and his left foot is decent so no hindrance at all (and as someone else pointed out other very good full backs have played on the opposite side with no issues.
He hasn't been given a chance for the first team in a position where he is likely to be better - RB or midfield (vs Birmingham I think he did play at RB one match).

Drogba played as a RB in his early career. He does look quite comfortable at LB but he has great potential. His left foot is good but it is not natural for him to be crossing or passing with his 'weak' side even though it is good. I am suprised you are happy with him being developed as a LB, there is so much more potential.

December_16

In Scholesy's perfect world:
- Fabio: move from left-back to attacking midfielder
- Anderson: move from attacking midfielder to left-back
- Delfouneso: Pichichi 2010-2050
- Norwood: Ballon D'or 2010-2060

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Central midfield in the reserves is a million miles from central midfield in the premier league.

He's not got the strength or positional sense to be a top level midfielder. He's no winger either, he attacks space, not opponents.

He's clearly a full back. He could play right or left I'm sure but clearly a full back.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Another game, another injury. He had a decent performance up until the injury but with all these niggling injuries and Evra's new contract, I don't think he is going to be given much of a chance to play in the near future.

I wouldn't mind seeing him loaned out next season, build up some strength and PL experience.

Danish Wizard

Best player out there tonight, showed a lot of determination in the first half. He was good defensively, and had some good rush down the left. Should have scored a goal, but did very well tonight.
Hopefully he can get rid of all these small injuries, and start getting more games.. He is good enough to play more often than he does..

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
He and Rafael both did well. Going forward, they were better than anyone else.

Number7

Ret's Slave
One day we'll go a game where one of the twins makes it through 90 minutes

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
He's been brilliant whenever called upon this season, looking very much as able as his brother.

Although, has he ever finished a game for us that he's started? I can only think of Rangers away and even then I'm sure he went off.

Kelvin

is he ever going to last 90 minutes, damm shame both him and Rafael are so injury-prone....

M160RA

It's a shame he hardly ever plays a full 90 minutes for the first team. He's a fantastic player, and we've really struck gold with the twins.

AlwaysRedwood

He confuses me when he's on the pitch because he looks like Rafael.

So, loan him out.

The Flying Potato

Being behind Evra has impacted his development a fair bit i'd say. It's been easy for Ralph given we had no real right back.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He is not as exciting as her brother, or is he??
Really? Fabio strikes me as having a much better footballing brain than Rafael. If Evra wasn't our first choice and the fact that Fabio seems to made out of straw which falls apart anytime the wind starts blowing at Old Trafford, he might just be our first choice by now.

Edit: Posted before I finished :wenger:

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Although he's behind in development than his brother (for obvious reasons) once he matures he'd be a real goal threat from the left back. The way he likes to cut inside will cause many problems to oppositions. He seems to be a bit more creative and skillful than Rafael. Good shot on him too.
Best case scenario for him is playing with a left footed winger on that side.

Ekeke

Playing regularly would push him on a lot, especially when it comes to confidence in the last third of the pitch

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Best case scenario for him is playing with a left footed winger on that side.
Yes, if we had a left footed Valencia we'd have a very potent weapon. Fabio can run with ball, cut inside and drag defenders in, the ball could be recycled to the left winger who'd have time and space to make the cross

Status
Not open for further replies.