Fabio da Silva | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
He played really well against Spurs at home as well if I remember correctly.

Stickles

I'd like to see the manager get Fabio back and spend a good two or three weeks assessing him in training before we go back for Baines.

Revan

Assumptionman

I really do hope he can succeed at the club.
Yep, that's the reason why I really hope that we don't sign Baines. Someone would say that it is strange for hoping to not get the best LB in EPL, but I think that Fabio's potential is much higher and he can be as good as Rafael (knowing also that Rafael is not even near his ceiling).

MoneyMay

Yep, that's the reason why I really hope that we don't sign Baines. Someone would say that it is strange for hoping to not get the best LB in EPL, but I think that Fabio's potential is much higher and he can be as good as Rafael (knowing also that Rafael is not even near his ceiling).
Agreed. I thought Fabio had a decent loan spell, add to that the fact he was one of our best players against Arsenal (away) and Barcelona (Champions League final) in 2011, granted he did play as a right back. I personally think he's more talented than Rafael. He wouldn't be first team had he kept himself fit because Evra is still reliable, but he would have a better chance of displacing him. No to Baines.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Agreed. I thought Fabio had a decent loan spell, add to that the fact he was one of our best players against Arsenal (away) and Barcelona (Champions League final) in 2011, granted he did play as a right back. I personally think he's more talented than Rafael. He wouldn't be first team had he kept himself fit because Evra is still reliable, but he would have a better chance of displacing him. No to Baines.
This gets trotted out quite a lot. Aside from the reputations they came with Fabio has shown nothing to suggest he's the more talented and over the last 2 years Rafael has left Fabio quite a way behind him.

MoneyMay

This gets trotted out quite a lot. Aside from the reputations they came with Fabio has shown nothing to suggest he's the more talented and over the last 2 years Rafael has left Fabio quite a way behind him.
I believe Fábio is more technically gifted, and that's based on what I have seen. For a start, he's a better dribbler than Rafael IMO. The reason why Rafael has left Fábio behind is because he's played more at right back due to Neville retiring, plus Brown and O'Shea left the club. Fábio, as far as I'm aware, suffered from one injury last season which kept him out for two months (?). Other than that, he played 21 games, 13 of which he started, which isn't that bad, though it should be better. I don't think there's that much of a difference between the two, honestly. Both have been capped twice for Brazil, which is a massive achievement. But I rate Fábio highly and think he deserves a chance.

Carl

I believe Fábio is more technically gifted, and that's based on what I have seen. For a start, he's a better dribbler than Rafael IMO. The reason why Rafael has left Fábio behind is because he's played more at right back due to Neville retiring, plus Brown and O'Shea left the club. Fábio, as far as I'm aware, suffered from one injury last season which kept him out for two months (?). Other than that, he played 21 games, 13 of which he started, which isn't that bad, though it should be better. I don't think there's that much of a difference between the two, honestly. Both have been capped twice for Brazil, which is a massive achievement. But I rate Fábio highly and think he deserves a chance.
I rate Fabio and thinks he deserves a chance. But as I said, Rafael has left Fabio behind in terms of development. Fabio has excuses of course, but that doesn't change anything.

Rafael has developed into one of the best fullbacks in Europe. He's earned that reputation by consistently performing at a very high standard. Fabio is yet to do that, infact, he's not even really close.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
Agree with Carl. Fabio was the higher rated, but unfortunately Rafael is living proof of what difference first team football makes to a players development.

I still have very high hopes for Fabio though.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I rate Fabio and thinks he deserves a chance. But as I said, Rafael has left Fabio behind in terms of development. Fabio has excuses of course, but that doesn't change anything.

Rafael has developed into one of the best fullbacks in Europe. He's earned that reputation by consistently performing at a very high standard. Fabio is yet to do that, infact, he's not even really close.
Fabio consistantly shone on the biggest stage in club football on our run to the CL final in 2011. He cemented the RB spot for his own.

Fabio as well as his brother has shown that he's got what it takes to be a regular starter for us. The difference is the side of the pitch they play. As a right footed LB playing second fiddle to probably one of the best full backs of the last decade, Rafael would surely find his chances as limited as Fabio has.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Played really well for QPR last season. Hopefully he gets his chance, but considering it seems we're after Baines, I find this unlikely unless he'll be rotated with Rafael. I suppose it depends whether or not Moyes will rotate his fullbacks, as Sir Alex never seemed to rotate Evra.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Can't judge too much till he'll play at least few games again in colors of United.

Danillaco

People seem not to give much, apart from potential, about Fabio. This kid will stun many when he starts playing regularly for us. You can mark that.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
People seem not to give much, apart from potential, about Fabio. This kid will stun many when he starts playing regularly for us. You can mark that.
Agreed but he needs to have a season like Rafael where he's constantly fit to do that

Stickles

It would save on a few quid if he can impress. It's difficult to do during pre-season though at least during the games as it's mainly about fitness. I fear we could have committed big money towards Baines before we return and the manager gets a proper look at him.

Carl

Odd. I don't think I've seen anyone say Fabio hasn't got the ability to make it at United.

8thWonder

Fabio consistantly shone on the biggest stage in club football on our run to the CL final in 2011. He cemented the RB spot for his own.

Fabio as well as his brother has shown that he's got what it takes to be a regular starter for us. The difference is the side of the pitch they play. As a right footed LB playing second fiddle to probably one of the best full backs of the last decade, Rafael would surely find his chances as limited as Fabio has.

Absolutely, playing time is the biggest factor in their differing abilities as of now. In any walk of life, experience and timing, play a massive part in how successful you are and on both counts Rafael has been 'luckier' hence much further ahead in his development. The timing part is two fold, one is that obviously Rafael has had no one really to oust at RB and Fabio has had to remove one of the best left backs in the world and the second is obviously he has a twin who's best position is the same as yours. I wonder which coach was the first to make the decision as to who played where as it has impacted massively on there careers to date. Fabio is a right back playing left back imo and he doesn't look as comfortable there, which again hinders him in contrast to Rafael.

If Fabio stays fit and gets playing time he'll be a brilliant player, but his potential is irrelevant until he plays regularly because he's got a lot of time to make up for experience wise to get to Rafael's all round level imo.

Robbie Boy

Odd. I don't think I've seen anyone say Fabio hasn't got the ability to make it at United.
I have heard plenty say it, it isn't that controversial to be fair. Me personally, I hope he gets his chance.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Looked really good in attack, and by the looks of it, he has strengthened a lot. Old Fabio would end up injured after that foul around 60th minute.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
Yeah he's definitely bulked up, he's come back looking a different player.

Name Changed

weso26
I was very impressed with him. He looks like he has put on a decent amount of muscle.

If given the same time and games that his brother has been given, I think he'll progress in the same way. He has great potential.

MoneyMay

I want him to succeed. A good performance on the right and an even better one on the left. He's great back-up for Rafael.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I want him to succeed even more than I want us to sign a CM.

There was some debate some pages back as to how good he is with his left foot. Didn't hesitate to use his left foot at all today

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Good game from him. It was good to watch him and rafael attacking down opposite wings. Hopefully we get to see it during the season a few times. slowly integrate Fabio into the LB spot as we rest Evra far more than we usually do.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
To be fair, he looked the real deal at QPR so i'm not surprised he's come back and looked good. Only a matter of time before he breaks through. He's a quality player.

Vasey20|13

To be fair, him and Rafa being identical football playing twins, you'd have to think they have a similar amount of ability as they both play the same position and Fergie said once that Fabio was better than Rafa.

I think the difference is clearly that Rafa's had far more playing time. I think we should start bedding Fabio in and he'll be like Rafa in a season or two.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want the Da Silva twins as our starting fullbacks for the next 10 years.

Revan

Assumptionman
feck off Baines, we have our very own young player who will soon be better than Baines ever was. I want Fabio to succeed here and I think that if we give him the chance, he will.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I've always liked Fabio, but I'll admit that I've had my doubts whether he could follow the same path as Rafael. Today, he impressed me. Despite the quality of the opposition, he looked threatening and his decision making I couldn't really complain about.

Hopefully he'll continue to impress for us so if Evra does indeed pack his bags, we'll have a decent replacement in Fabio. I won't rule out wanting Baines at this moment in time though.

Stickles

Why was he fished out on loan in the first place? Was it because his first team opportunities would have been limited with Evra there or his first team opportunities would have been limited regardless?

IMO both he and his brother could become ideal 'modern day full backs' with their pace and defensive capabilities.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
He was very good today, but for me the biggest positive is that Moyes started him - encouraging that he might be well in Moyes' plans.

Like others have said, I really want him to make it here.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Why was he fished out on loan in the first place? Was it because his first team opportunities would have been limited with Evra there or his first team opportunities would have been limited regardless?

IMO both he and his brother could become ideal 'modern day full backs' with their pace and defensive capabilities.
He needed the loan for game time mainly. When he was here he had the odd game before picking up an injury, while there he did manage to have a run of games and get that experience... but then he picked up another injury. It was still a lot more beneficial for him to get that experience of regular game time.

Stickles

Well if he can come back and prove his worth it could save a heck of a lot of money on Baines. But the fact Moyes knew he was coming back and still bid for his former player doesn't bode well.

December_16

Well if he can come back and prove his worth it could save a heck of a lot of money on Baines. But the fact Moyes knew he was coming back and still bid for his former player doesn't bode well.
True, plus he just turned 23 a few days ago and therefore will never improve any more ever again as a player. We should sell him now when we can. Actually we should sell everybody after they turn 23.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Assuming Evra is leaving, there's room for us to buy Baines and then use Fabio as a back up left or right back throughout the season. He would get a lot of games. I would be strongly against him going on loan again.

Revan

Assumptionman
True, plus he just turned 23 a few days ago and therefore will never improve any more ever again as a player. We should sell him now when we can. Actually we should sell everybody after thry turn 23.
Awesome post :drool: Shame that De Gea became good before being 23 years old and now we're stacked with him.

Moriarty

Assuming Evra is leaving, there's room for us to buy Baines and then use Fabio as a back up left or right back throughout the season. He would get a lot of games. I would be strongly against him going on loan again.
Well not to some shithouse club like QPR at any rate. I've nothing against players going on loan to clubs where they'll play and improve, like Welbeck and Cleverley, but it can sometimes backfire like it did for Kiko.

Rossa

I was thoroughly impressed with Fabio last match. His link-up play is great and he looks quite good one on one defending. He's very quick and looks slightly more technical perhaps than Rafael (?).

Status
Not open for further replies.