Fabio da Silva | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash_G

Hope he stays this season, he's definitely got the talent just needs a bit more luck with injuries and we've seen Rafael improve there, no reason he can't. Even if he doesn't quite make the step as a regular I'm sure he'd be a good squad player.

Ekeke

He was honestly good last season on loan, saw lots of his appearances. As for why he went on loan, he got more games than he would have with us. It also helped him, just like his brother has admitted it helped, for the twins to be seperated and stand on their own two feet. Instead of a pair of twins we have two individuals.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Baines is a good player with insane delivery. But can he dribble and run with the ball with skill and pace like Evra or Fabio? I haven't seen it. Evra over the years has had pretty terrible delivery (better recently) but his ability to link with his winger, get up and down the pitch and beat players with pace and skill has given us an excellent left side for years.

Fabio is actually pretty similar to Evra except for the fact he isn't naturally left footed. United needs dynamic fullback with flair and skill and Fabio can provide that along with toughness just like his twin.

Rossa

Baines is a good player with insane delivery. But can he dribble and run with the ball with skill and pace like Evra or Fabio? I haven't seen it. Evra over the years has had pretty terrible delivery (better recently) but his ability to link with his winger, get up and down the pitch and beat players with pace and skill has given us an excellent left side for years.

Fabio is actually pretty similar to Evra except for the fact he isn't naturally left footed. United needs dynamic fullback with flair and skill and Fabio can provide that along with toughness just like his twin.

Brilliant post, mate!

That is exactly what I think Baines is lacking. Great player, but not our kind of player.

Swaters16

To be fair, Gary Neville never beat anyone with his pace or flair. He was all about delivery and he was damn good at it. Baines is much more similar to that type of full back that United have had plenty of. We also cross the ball a lot. That's when Baines will be at his best.
I don't want to sign Baines but he'd fit in easily at United.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
To be fair, Gary Neville never beat anyone with his pace or flair. He was all about delivery and he was damn good at it. Baines is much more similar to that type of full back that United have had plenty of. We also cross the ball a lot. That's when Baines will be at his best.
I don't want to sign Baines but he'd fit in easily at United.

I think the point of the previous posts is that Baines aint high priority and would be wasted resources for this season -- esp when we need to look at replacing Albert soon.

Swaters16

Of course, I think it's a wasted resource but it isn't a waste because Baines doesn't fit United's style. If anything Baines is exactly the type of player United has. He's British, he can cross, he keeps his head down and plays for the team, he works hard etc, etc. He isn't a player we need but his style isn't the issue.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We will have the resources for both a midfielder and a left back.

Woodzy

What's the verdict on his pre-season performances? First pre-season i've completely missed for a long time. Have any of the games actually fallen on a weekend?

Still very excited about the prospect of him reaching Rafael's level and having one on either flank.

Revan

Assumptionman
He has played a lot of games and have played generally well, probably our best full back in pre-season. Most of the games have come from the right side though. Yesterday scored a brilliant goal and his combination with Zaha has been excellent.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
People forget he's played over 50 matches for us.

We know he's got what it takes, what we want from him is him reaching Rafael's level really. I'm not sure he's ever going to be that good playing off the left, and I'm not sure how long he'll be content with playing second fiddle to his brother.

Ole240599

The problem with Fabio is that he is a natural RB. Yes he can play LB but he constantly favours his right foot so it is not ideal. I don't think he is good enough for us at LB but can offer cover at RB.

Ekeke

Looked very good yesterday, a very good understanding between him and Zaha on the right. Wasn't particularly tested defensively, but what he was asked to do he did well. And he's obviously more solid than Buttner who got done even in yesterday's match

Ekeke

The problem with Fabio is that he is a natural RB. Yes he can play LB but he constantly favours his right foot so it is not ideal. I don't think he is good enough for us at LB but can offer cover at RB.
O'Shea was more than fine at LB in his first season. Irwin was very good at LB. Lahm was one of the best in the world at left back. Its fine, he's just given so few chances there

Revan

Assumptionman
O'Shea was more than fine at LB in his first season. Irwin was very good at LB. Lahm was one of the best in the world at left back. Its fine, he's just given so few chances there
Zambrotta too. The best left back in the world probably in 2004-2006 and he was a natural right back who played with right foot. Don't think that it is a problem at all.

marjen

It is somewhat of a problem though, even if there are examples of players playing on "the wrong side" and doing exceptionally well.

He won't ever be able to go on overlaps and cross effectively even if he's fairly decent on his left foot.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
It is somewhat of a problem though, even if there are examples of players playing on "the wrong side" and doing exceptionally well.

He won't ever be able to go on overlaps and cross effectively even if he's fairly decent on his left foot.
But gives him the option to cut inside. As several have said, this is not the disadvantage it would have been 10 years ago. The days of the attacking full-backs job being solely getting outside and whipping one on to the centre-forwards head are gone. He's an excellent option as left-back. He's got a really positive, attacking mindset and will get himself consistently in to great forward positions. I wouldn't worry about the right foot thing.

Woodzy

Are either of them going to be options on the wing? I know it's been tried before and not really worked but I think Rafael at least, definitely has the ability.

It's weird how desperate I am to see them play together. I should get myself checked out.

marjen

But I do worry. A lot.

About Fabio. The right foot. About David. About the Equalizer. Have anyone actually seen him since going on that dreadful plane?

And I worry about Cecil Fabregas. Oh, Cecil.

marjen

Are either of them going to be options on the wing? I know it's been tried before and not really worked but I think Rafael at least, definitely has the ability.

It's weird how desperate I am to see them play together. I should get myself checked out.
Not really worked as in tonking Arsenal at OT in the cup? Yeah, worked like shite that one.

Woodzy

That was ages ago. I ignore anything that happens beyond my memory span. Hasn't Rafael played on the wing more recently and not done so well?

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
If our wingers continue to be shite then Rafael and Fabio both playing on the right side sounds appealing. But in the long term I still see Fabio as a LB and I hope we integrate him into the side this season.

marjen

That was ages ago. I ignore anything that happens beyond my memory span. Hasn't Rafael played on the wing more recently and not done so well?
He played in CM with Park in what turned out to be the game costing us the title the season before last.

Still ill

I'd say he's just glad to be back at a proper club after the pantomime he walked into last year. A spectacularly terrible loan season. He must be a bit shook. Still don't really understand why he had to be subjected to that. The whole Buttner thing still seems a bit pointless. Anyway, glad to see him back, hope he gets some game time.

Brightonian

He played in CM with Park in what turned out to be the game costing us the title the season before last.
It wasn't, that game was in December, and no more significant than any other loss.

Not arguing with your basic point, I just don't think you have to exaggerate that game's limited importance to underline what a massive clusterfeck the team selection was.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I'd say he's just glad to be back at a proper club after the pantomime he walked into last year. A spectacularly terrible loan season. He must be a bit shook. Still don't really understand why he had to be subjected to that. The whole Buttner thing still seems a bit pointless. Anyway, glad to see him back, hope he gets some game time.
i thought it was a pretty good loan to be honest, it got him playing time and he made the necessary adjustment to his game in focusing on his defending which can only help his chances now that he's back with us.

Varun

Staff

Why was it a terrible loan for him? Sure it was a clusterfeck of a club but he got plenty of games and was in a team where his emphasis would have been on the defensive side of his game. Perfect really and would have improved him as a player rather than play reserve ties for us.

Still ill

i thought it was a pretty good loan to be honest, it got him playing time and he made the necessary adjustment to his game in focusing on his defending which can only help his chances now that he's back with us.
I don't know if all playing time is helpful. He was in and out of the team, different positions, changing partners, injuries, poor morale and ultimate disintegration. I know you learn more from adversery but still, can't imagine him coming back feeling too good about himself.

westlife4ever

I don't know if all playing time is helpful. He was in and out of the team, different positions, changing partners, injuries, poor morale and ultimate disintegration. I know you learn more from adversery but still, can't imagine him coming back feeling too good about himself.
It seems Fabio himself thinks he'd learnt a lot from the loan.
Fabio echoed those sentiments and added: "It's great to be back with my brother.
"We have both matured a lot in the last year. My time at QPR has really helped me mature and I also think it helped my brother [for us to be apart]. He had a great year last season.
http://www.manutd.com/en/tour2013/t...a-silva-twins-enjoying-tour-and-training.aspx

And I agree with Joe Jordan's view on this.
http://www.manutd.com/en/news-and-f...-says-fabio-can-benefit-from-loan-at-qpr.aspx

Still ill

Fair enough, although you wouldn't expect either Joe or Fabio to say anything else, would you? I still think he could easily have clocked up 13 starts or whatever he had at Loftus Road with us, given Paddy a break, been eased into contention as a successor for left-back without the loan. A learning experience it was though, no doubt.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Yes, he looks fit.

He looked excellent on this tour, but the thing I am worried about is that he was given too much freedom in attack, he was overlapping whenever Zaha or whoever on the right got the ball. I don't know if Moyes gave him instructions to do that, but he was playing too much offensive for my likeing, I don't want him to become Marcelo type fullback who doesn't know shit about defending.

Buttner was doing the same, but Fabio was at least good at one on one situations, while Buttner is really awfull defensively in every single aspect, I don't think he has future here IMO.

Redfighter

Officially gullible
At the secret training camp for United Militia
Yes, he looks fit.

He looked excellent on this tour, but the thing I am worried about is that he was given too much freedom in attack, he was overlapping whenever Zaha or whoever on the right got the ball. I don't know if Moyes gave him instructions to do that, but he was playing too much offensive for my likeing, I don't want him to become Marcelo type fullback who doesn't know shit about defending.

Buttner was doing the same, but Fabio was at least good at one on one situations, while Buttner is really awfull defensively in every single aspect, I don't think he has future here IMO.

One thing that Everton did as part of their standard play was to get the fullbacks overlapping at every opportunity. I went to a coaching course where Moyes did a presentation and he does a lot of drills based on switching the play quickly. That's why I can see us playing with more inside wingers, certainly on the left where the fullback would overlap constantly and get crosses in. It's great for making space. It's also why I can see the Baines deal happening as Evra doesn't have good enough delivery for that to be a regular tactic.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
That's really no different from the way we played under Fergie

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129

If our wingers continue to be shite then Rafael and Fabio both playing on the right side sounds appealing. But in the long term I still see Fabio as a LB and I hope we integrate him into the side this season.
They're not options on the wing at all, barring a massive injury crisis. Many seem to think attacking fullbacks can easily play on the wing but in reality they're totally different positions. Full back play is all about overlapping runs rather than being continually marked and having to try and beat a man. The twins rely on their wideman to occupy the fullback and leaving them space to run into. Neither are particularly good dribblers or crossers, and would never be as good on the wing as our current options (Nani, Valencia, Zaha etc), or possible future options like Lingard or Januzaj. Both are cracking fullbacks, that is where they should always play.

Status
Not open for further replies.