Fabio da Silva | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

It is somewhat of a problem though, even if there are examples of players playing on "the wrong side" and doing exceptionally well.

He won't ever be able to go on overlaps and cross effectively even if he's fairly decent on his left foot.
He's already done that when he's played on the left. We normally play a left back who's cross isnt very good, Fabio's even though its on his weaker foot has been no worse

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I don't know if all playing time is helpful. He was in and out of the team, different positions, changing partners, injuries, poor morale and ultimate disintegration. I know you learn more from adversery but still, can't imagine him coming back feeling too good about himself.
Adversity is good though, it tells him just how much he needs to sacrifice to avoid going to a club like QPR again and it's showing in his hunger he's shown on tour so far.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
That's really no different from the way we played under Fergie

I disagree a little but not entirely. It's exactly how it was when we had Gary Neville on the flank providing overlaps and whipping a ball in, but more recently the fullback would tend to take possession, either try to push into the box or hold it for a second and deliver it back to the winger or a CM. Moyes tended to play more like Fergie from a few years ago. Perhaps that was because that was how best to utilize the players he had though.

Ekeke

Fair enough, although you wouldn't expect either Joe or Fabio to say anything else, would you? I still think he could easily have clocked up 13 starts or whatever he had at Loftus Road with us, given Paddy a break, been eased into contention as a successor for left-back without the loan. A learning experience it was though, no doubt.
For some reason Evra didnt have breaks under Sir Alex. Maybe its a clause in Evra's contract that he has to start 99% of games or something... But no if he had stayed it would have been like every other season he's been here. He wouldn't have been given a chance at LB

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I disagree a little but not entirely. It's exactly how it was when we had Gary Neville on the flank providing overlaps and whipping a ball in, but more recently the fullback would tend to take possession, either try to push into the box or hold it for a second and deliver it back to the winger or a CM. Moyes tended to play more like Fergie from a few years ago. Perhaps that was because that was how best to utilize the players he had though.
That's true but the system is pretty much the same. Evra is more adept at linking up with his winger and dribbling where as Baines is a better crosser. Kagawa played as an inside winger for us just as Piennar did for them. Had Moyes had Evra Everton would have still played the same way I reckon

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
That's true but the system is pretty much the same. Evra is more adept at linking up with his winger and dribbling where as Baines is a better crosser. Kagawa played as an inside winger for us just as Piennar did for them. Had Moyes had Evra Everton would have still played the same way I reckon

Yeah. I actually like both styles and feel it's a fantastic way to play football. Can be devastating in the premier league but it's a system that has not really worked out in Europe.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
was wondering the same, he should be given a run whilst Rafa is out injured. No more Jones at RB please.

Rossa

Needed Jones tonight. A better defender than Fabio, and needed him in the air against Chelseas giants

Hazard, Oscar and Schürrle? Jones struggles a bit with players like Hazard, imo, who can turn so so quickly - Fabio is a lot more agile and more adept at defending in the fullback position, imo. He's also ten times better in attack!

Mersault

Yeah, I think Jones was quite effective in dealing with Hazard, I just thought it surprising that Buttner was on the bench and not Fabio

jeston

He must be injured, surely? Buttner on the bench instead of him.

IhabX7

Jones justified his selection tonight for sure.

Good defensively, offers absolutely feck all in attack. If Rafael played tonight I think we would have won, because Valencia was doing some very good wing play.

westlife4ever

Hope he's not injured. But he wasn't given a game in the U21, and Büttner was on the bench instead of him today.

I really want to see him play. But it's understandable that Moyes picked Jones against Chelsea.

Rossa

Good defensively, offers absolutely feck all in attack. If Rafael played tonight I think we would have won, because Valencia was doing some very good wing play.

This! He is solid defensively, but his attacking is just way below par. He doesn't time his runs well and his crossing is worse than that of Valencia last season! His short passing leaves little to be desired too. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great defender, just not a very good attacking fullback.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Hazard, Oscar and Schürrle? Jones struggles a bit with players like Hazard, imo, who can turn so so quickly - Fabio is a lot more agile and more adept at defending in the fullback position, imo. He's also ten times better in attack!

Nah, it would have been a risk playin Fabio. Jones was a lot safer bet. Chelsea are so strong in the air with Ivanovic, Cahill and Terry so it was a help having his ability aerially.

Rossa

Nah, it would have been a risk playin Fabio. Jones was a lot safer bet. Chelsea are so strong in the air with Ivanovic, Cahill and Terry so it was a help having his ability aerially.

I get the better in the air argument, but at Old Trafford I would want the team to go for all three points, and thus I think Fabio would be better. Smalling would probably be the best choice if that is your argument...

binary bot
Jones was the right call. I'd like to see Fabio make the bench ahead of Buttner though(assuming he's fit).

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I get the better in the air argument, but at Old Trafford I would want the team to go for all three points, and thus I think Fabio would be better. Smalling would probably be the best choice if that is your argument...

Jones played our first game, Smalling has looked rusty for a while, Fabio has been away for a year. Anyone other than Chelsea or City tonight and i probably would have preferred Fabio also.

Jiggs'Hamstring

How exactly? He was good defensively but offers nothing going forward. A bit like Val.
He offered more or less as much going forward as Valencia, and nullified all threats which came his way. He is a defender. Although they didn't show it tonight, they have some outrageously talented forwards. Jones did his job very well.

Godfather

He offered more or less as much going forward as Valencia, and nullified all threats which came his way. He is a defender. Although they didn't show it tonight, they have some outrageously talented forwards. Jones did his job very well.
He did his job defensively very well. A part of a right back's job is also to provide width in attack and he was shit at that. OVerall a decent display but I'd like to see Fabio get some chances in the future as (and I'm sure he will). Val and JOnes were too similiar today I thought. We needed someone more creative on the right wing.

twitter thread suggester
Our attack loses about 25% by having Jones instead of Rafael. It's incredible how poor he is with the ball at his feet at times.

Name Changed

weso26
Jones is grand defensively but pretty poor going forward. He's a centre back. For most games, I'd rather Fabio play at right back when Rafael is injured.

IhabX7

Our attack loses about 25% by having Jones instead of Rafael. It's incredible how poor he is with the ball at his feet at times.
Which is strange because in Jones' first few games with United he showed some great dribbling and speed. He was getting into opponents' box as a CB, and been called the new Beckenbauer on here.
I've been thinking about this a lot in the last year, I think that almost every player that has joined us has become weaker in getting past players by the year. O'Shea was the prime example for me, but Smalling, Jones, Rooney, Valencia, Young, almost everyone to be frank. I have no idea what this means though, do we not work on this enough in training, is it constraints that the managers apply? No idea really.

I agree with you on Rafael as I have already said earlier.

Godfather

Which is strange because in Jones' first few games with United he showed some great dribbling and speed. He was getting into opponents' box as a CB, and been called the new Beckenbauer on here.
I've been thinking about this a lot in the last year, I think that almost every player that has joined us has become weaker in getting past players by the year. O'Shea was the prime example for me, but Smalling, Jones, Rooney, Valencia, Young, almost everyone to be frank. I have no idea what this means though, do we not work on this enough in training, is it constraints that the managers apply? No idea really.

Well I think it's pretty clear. He had this rare occassions when he broke through with great runs forward. But many times he lost the ball in these situations and left us exposed at the back. So his little trips forward more often than not were a bit of a catastrophe for our defence. I think we cut him down in that regard.

IhabX7

Well I think it's pretty clear. He had this rare occassions when he broke through with great runs forward. But many times he lost the ball in these situations and left us exposed at the back. So his little trips forward more often than not were a bit of a catastrophe for our defence. I think we cut him down in that regard.
I don't think a player loses his touch and worsens his technique by playing more sensibly. Something else is up, mostly to do with confidence on the ball, our players are slightly too scared to lose the ball and end up losing it in a shit pass or whatever.

Godfather

I don't think a player loses his touch and worsens his technique by playing more sensibly. Something else is up, mostly to do with confidence on the ball, our players are slightly too scared to lose the ball and end up losing it in a shit pass or whatever.
Oh when you are talking about his general technique and striking of the ball then I agree with you. Thought you were talking about those bursting runs he made. It's probably a confidence thing yeah.

IhabX7

Oh when you are talking about his general technique and striking of the ball then I agree with you. Thought you were talking about those bursting runs he made. It's probably a confidence thing yeah.
I was talking about both actually, he became less of a "football player" and more of rigid yet efficient defender.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker

This is so true and I was thinking of making a thread about it at some point. This even applied to Ronaldo when he was here! Anderson is another who is little less explosive now, and I've a feeling that we'll be putting Rafael and Fabio's names on the list soon. When people say about 'maturing', the point is missed i think. 'Maturing' should when a player makes the best use of an attribute instead of losing it altogether.

Fergie said once about Rooney that this is something they were trying to get back into his game, so it's not something the coaches are driving out of players intentionally.

Rossa

Jones played our first game, Smalling has looked rusty for a while, Fabio has been away for a year. Anyone other than Chelsea or City tonight and i probably would have preferred Fabio also.

Fair enough. I suppose it's a valid argument. I was just bitterly disappointed with Jones passing and attacking contribution.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
This is so true and I was thinking of making a thread about it at some point. This even applied to Ronaldo when he was here! Anderson is another who is little less explosive now, and I've a feeling that we'll be putting Rafael and Fabio's names on the list soon. When people say about 'maturing', the point is missed i think. 'Maturing' should when a player makes the best use of an attribute instead of losing it altogether.

Fergie said once about Rooney that this is something they were trying to get back into his game, so it's not something the coaches are driving out of players intentionally.
I'm thinking bulking up has a lot to answer for. Jones is massive and Valencia is just ridiculous, I can't imagine all that muscle mass is necessary. They both were more nimble when they came, especially Valencia.

Rafael might've lost half a yard as well already but for him bulking up was needed, his brother should do the same thing.

Ronaldo too needed more muscle, but it's enough now! He however hasn't lost any pace, just a wee bit of flair really. But who cares about what when he scores like a mad man?

LR7

The painful thing is that so much of our play goes down that side, and offensively, Jones adds nothing.
Jones is grand defensively but pretty poor going forward. He's a centre back. For most games, I'd rather Fabio play at right back when Rafael is injured.
With this run of games whilst Rafael is out injured I wouldn't have been surprised to see a similar development pattern with Fabio as we saw with Rafael last season who became more consistent with a run of games there owing to Jones and Smalling being out injured. I don't see why wee needed extra height which is the only excuse I can find for Jones' inclusion.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
I'm thinking bulking up has a lot to answer for. Jones is massive and Valencia is just ridiculous, I can't imagine all that muscle mass is necessary. They both were more nimble when they came, especially Valencia.

Rafael might've lost half a yard as well already but for him bulking up was needed, his brother should do the same thing.

Ronaldo too needed more muscle, but it's enough now! He however hasn't lost any pace, just a wee bit of flair really. But who cares about what when he scores like a mad man?
You clearly haven't seen much of Fabio because he's not the skinny boy he was, he's bulked up too.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I was also disappointed that Jones got the nod over Fabio. I think it's clear to see the reasons why though: Ivanovic, Terry, Cahill and Lukaku.

Status
Not open for further replies.