Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Neviller

That's the point.. they are not going to accept. It's like Arsenal bidding for Suarez or Rooney when they know they won't get them. If for some reason Barca accept AND Cesc wants to leave then great, but its very unlikely.
Where has the notion come up that we're making deliberately low bids that won't be accepted? To what aim would United do it? How does it appease anyone? Have we ever done it before? And since when have the Glazers given a single feck what the fans think?

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Found this on Twitter. It probably means as much as Thiago wearing a United shirt when he was a kid, but it quotes a Cesc interview prior to our semi final in the Champions League against Arsenal, where he waffles on about how great United are...

http://thepeoplesperson.com/fabregas-insisted-he-was-a-massive-manchester-united-fan/

Manchester United have today tabled a €30 million bid for Cesc Fabregas according to various reports.

The 26-year-old had been linked with a move to Old Trafford earlier in the summer before the Thiago rumours took hold but now that he has made his move to Bayern Munich, it seems David Moyes is wasting no time in moving for Fabregas.

And if Fabregas’ opinion of United hasn’t changed from back in 2009 when he spoke to the News of the World before United’s UEFA Champions League semi-final clash with Arsenal, he is a massive fan of the club.

“I’m a massive Man United fan,” he proclaimed.

“I have no problem saying United are one of the best clubs in the world – even though I want to beat them. They are the best side in the world at the moment – a top, top side and we respect them a lot.”

“Rooney and Ronaldo are amazing. I really and admire them for what they do. I am a big fan of both of them. You can expect just about anything from them and they always make a difference in games. Look at Ronaldo against Porto – what a goal! It was one of the best goals I’ve seen.”

Players aren’t generally so effusive in their praise of opposition ahead of any game, let alone Arsenal’s captain ahead of playing United. Of course, back in 2009 we were champions of Europe so there was a level of mutual respect but Fabregas went a bit further by openly stating he was a massive fan.

And maybe if he had a quick word with Robin Van Persie, he would listen to the little boy inside himself too.

It appears these quotes are true, as the same quotes appear in an article from 2009:
http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/engla...abregas-im-a-massive-fan-of-manchester-united

Sorry if it's already been posted. I've only skimmed this thread today, as I am still mending the pieces of my Thiago heart.

He loves United though. So, surely it's 1million percent FabregON.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Those quotes from Moyes where he said something about him never confirming interest in Thiago seem to be pertinent now.

I'll be the first to admit I was fuming after "losing out" on Thiago, but if we were working on a deal for Cesc then happy days!

To recap, Moyes said:

- We're always in the market for world class players
- He's happy with the progress we're making in relation to transfer targets
- We weren't necessarily in for Thiago

All of that suggests that we have real intent for Fabregas. We can safely assume that bid is legit, given the outlets that've reported it. I just don't see United doing this as a public relations stunt - since when have the Glazers given a feck about that sort of thing?

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
The first refusal clause must have been green-lighted by the player though. You can't just match an offer and buy a player if he doesn't want to play for you.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The first refusal clause must have been green-lighted by the player though. You can't just match an offer and buy a player if he doesn't want to play for you.
He probably didn't think he'd be leaving after 2-3 years. Probably won't mind you, but I doubt it's gone as expected for him at Barca.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
I'll be the first to admit I was fuming after "losing out" on Thiago, but if we were working on a deal for Cesc then happy days!

To recap, Moyes said:

- He's happy with the progress we're making in relation to transfer target

All of that suggests that we have real intent for Fabregas. We can safely assume that bid is legit, given the outlets that've reported it. I just don't see United doing this as a public relations stunt - since when have the Glazers given a feck about that sort of thing?

Exactly my thoughts on things now too. The whole 'it's a PR exercise' is a fecking joke anyway because it makes zero sense. My guess is that they have been beavering away at Cesc and now are confident enough to properly test Barca's resolve and think Cesc will jump ship if a deal is done.

Dracula

caf plane air-master
Indeed. Also, according to that John cross from the mirror, fab and arsenal did not depart on the best of terms....

Siorac

To recap, Moyes said:

- He's happy with the progress we're making in relation to transfer target

Two things still don't make sense.

Why would the club think that Barcelona have any intention to sell?
Why did we make the bid they day after Barcelona sold Thiago? Doesn't look like the greatest timing.

It's all very strange.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Indeed, it just means that if the club accepts a bid from another team they have to let you know first and allow you to buy him for the same amount. For example if United bid £35m and Barcelona feel it's good enough, they'll contact Arsenal and offer Fabregas to you for £35m. If you want him then you'll be able to speak to him before United bid is accepted, if he agrees on a move to Arsenal then it's finalised, if not then he'll be free to speak with United whose bid can be accepted at this stage.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
With currency fluctuations, is today's 30m euros slightly more than the same amount when he moved? (Forgive my ignorance).

I believe, if Cesc is prepared to move, that around 40m euros might do it.
Didn't he go for 35 million euros? I think they'd accept 40 million pounds though for him, given that he isn't first choice yet, and they have been interested in Oliver Torres.

EvilChuck

But do we have any reason to believe Fabregas wants to leave Barcelona and/or that Barcelona are looking to sell Fabregas?

And do we know whether Arsenal's "right of refusal" clause operates only once, as you suggest, or does it operate in any bid that is tentaively "accepted" by Barcelona? I'd be very surprised if the clause in Arsenal's contract with Barcelona providing for the sale of Fabregas self-terminates after Barcelona rejects a third party's bid for Fabregas. The way I would expect it to work is that if Barcelona expresses an interest in accepting a bid for Fabregas that Arsenal would have a right to meet the offer from that third party. But then again, we're dealing with English and Spanish law so I have no idea what contract clauses are permissible there. Such a "third-party right to match" clause would likely run afoul of California law governing entertainment performance contracts -- at the very least, they are completely unheard of here.

But if the clause does operate as you suggest, and you may well be right about that, it would be a brilliant piece of business by United to effectively negate Arsenal's rights to Fabregas. I'm not sure how Arsenal's lawyers would have overlooked that possibility, but then again there's so much we don't know about what really goes on anything is possible.

This is the transfer form, we dont need a reason to think Fabregas wants to leave or that Barca want to sell.

As for the bolded part, thats pretty much exactly what I said. Barca will tell Arsenal they want to sell, and if Arsenal say they dont want to make bid then Barca can sell him to anyone

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Indeed, it just means that if the club accepts a bid from another team they have to let you know first and allow you to buy him for the same amount. For example if United bid £35m and Barcelona feel it's good enough, they'll contact Arsenal and offer Fabregas to you for £35m. If you want him then you'll be able to speak to him before United bid is accepted, if he agrees on a move to Arsenal then it's finalised, if not then he'll be free to speak with United whose bid can be accepted at this stage.

Normally Wenger wouldn't take a player back but I think he'd take Cesc back if the opportunity arose. I think it's all bollocks though.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Is it a ploy to make Wenger to make a bid for a proper player for a change.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
But do we have any reason to believe Fabregas wants to leave Barcelona and/or that Barcelona are looking to sell Fabregas?

And do we know whether Arsenal's "right of refusal" clause operates only once, as you suggest, or does it operate in any bid that is tentaively "accepted" by Barcelona? I'd be very surprised if the clause in Arsenal's contract with Barcelona providing for the sale of Fabregas self-terminates after Barcelona rejects a third party's bid for Fabregas. The way I would expect it to work is that if Barcelona expresses an interest in accepting a bid for Fabregas that Arsenal would have a right to meet the offer from that third party. But then again, we're dealing with English and Spanish law so I have no idea what contract clauses are permissible there. Such a "third-party right to match" clause would likely run afoul of California law governing entertainment performance contracts -- at the very least, they are completely unheard of here.

But if the clause does operate as you suggest, and you may well be right about that, it would be a brilliant piece of business by United to effectively negate Arsenal's rights to Fabregas. I'm not sure how Arsenal's lawyers would have overlooked that possibility, but then again there's so much we don't know about what really goes on anything is possible.
We can't know for sure whether Cesc wants to leave or whether Barca want to sell. But, it's safe to infer that we have probably sounded out people close to the player/club before lodging a bid. And I very much doubt this is a case of the player looking for improved terms.

Re the release clause, as I understand it from explanations on Twitter, the concept of a first refusal is a total irrelevance if the player doesn't want to move to you. And this links to the point I've made above - if we've made a bid, chances are that we've sounded Cesc out and established that he'd favour a move to us.

ciderman9000000

Where has the notion come up that we're making deliberately low bids that won't be accepted? To what aim would United do it? How does it appease anyone? Have we ever done it before? And since when have the Glazers given a single feck what the fans think?
There was a dumb conspiracy theory going around a few years ago claiming that the Glazers bid £30m for somebody (Sneijder?) knowing it would be rejected so that they could then say to the fans, "Told you we've got money, Inter just rejected our bid!" It was all supposedly a scam concocted by the Glazers to disguise the fact that the club was going bankrupt.

Some fans are fecking morons. That's never gonna change.

Dracula

caf plane air-master
With currency fluctuations, is today's 30m euros slightly more than the same amount when he moved? (Forgive my ignorance).

I believe, if Cesc is prepared to move, that around 40m euros might do it.
My understanding of it is that IF for some bizarre reason they accept a 30m bid in euros, then they (disregarding the clauses and add ons issue) will recieve what they paid for him, but we will have paid more in pounds than arsenal received. Only by about 400k at most

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

I'd imagine it means that in the instance there are exact bids, Arsenal always gets preference and the club will ot sell to the other party until the player says no. if that's the case, we'd just need to ensure we bid £1 more than them.

Else 'right of refusal' makes no sense.

The Neviller

It's gonna be a long summer, if it's not Cesc then i can see us repeating the process with Ronaldo, Bale, Modric, failing on all and then settling for Felliani or worse Osman.
The mods really need to start handing out infractions every time this Osman joke is wheeled out. It's getting very fecking tedious, and was never funny to start with. The Caf has turned into a steaming turd this summer.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Exactly my thoughts on things now too. The whole 'it's a PR exercise' is a fecking joke anyway because it makes zero sense. My guess is that they have been beavering away at Cesc and now are confident enough to properly test Barca's resolve and think Cesc will jump ship if a deal is done.
Spot on. The people who think we're low-balling just as a public relations exercise are missing the fact that such a tactic is almost certainly doomed to failure - and that's hardly going to win you any fans. Given that this has been leaked, and that we're widely reported to have bid for him, I believe this one has real legs; more so than the Thiago deal, which was always based on conjecture.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
What does 'making a bid' actually involve? Is it as simple as faxing "we want your Cesc for 25 millions...giss him" to Barcelona? Do you have to also register it elsewhere like the national FA or UEFA or something?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Two things still don't make sense.

Why would the club think that Barcelona have any intention to sell?
Why did we make the bid they day after Barcelona sold Thiago? Doesn't look like the greatest timing.

It's all very strange.

On point one, maybe they've sounded the club out?

On point two, whilst the timing may seem poor, if Moyes was being honest and there was no real interest in Thiago, then the timing is an irrelevance.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
That twat Ballbag was on Talkshite earlier this evening saying that there was no way this was happening.

What further proof do we have that this is most definitely in the Fabrebag?

The Thiago deal was dead as soon as Ballbag wandered in waving his dick about. Has he actually ever got anything right?

Dracula

caf plane air-master
It would make more sense for us to use rooney in a player plus cash for fab, that way he goes abroad. What that would do to any first refusal thing with arsenal I have no idea. Arse and utd could just value roo as 50m then the entire deal would be 'worth' 80m euros thus scaring arsenal off.

Does that make sense?

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
It would make more sense for us to use rooney in a player plus cash for fab, that way he goes abroad. What that would do to any first refusal thing with arsenal I have no idea. Arse and utd could just value roo as 50m then the entire deal would be 'worth' 80m euros thus scaring arsenal off.

Does that make sense?

:lol:

You'd just feck Rooney off like that...some people!

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
What does 'making a bid' actually involve? Is it as simple as faxing "we want your Cesc for 25 millions...giss him" to Barcelona? Do you have to also register it elsewhere like the national FA or UEFA or something?

From reading a few managers biographies it's just a case of informing the selling club you want to buy and what your intentions are.

Status
Not open for further replies.