Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
I agree we'd need to add but my point is I think Clev could match Dembele, so whats the point in having two good but below the best players? Why not give Clev the chance to step up, save the cash and then invest in a top quality player which is what we're doing? I would say that Carrick and Clev at their best is no weaker than ramires/lampard, Arteta/Wilshere. Mikel/Barry aren't really that much if any better as squad players than Ando, although obv more reliable fitness wise, would rather have Giggs over them. People can slate Giggs, he can be a liability but he is capable of great performances in the middle as well, better than most out of those teams. Don't think Ramsey is that great either. Only City really had a better midfield cause of Toure. Either way Fergie got it right because we comfortably won the league, it was harder than it should have been at times and we rode our luck with Carrick staying clear of injuries, but it was fine. Now we're looking to seriously invest in a midfielder as shown by the Fabregas bids.

Using Young as an example isn't really fair to me as most of us would say that we overpaid for him and Bebe was clearly about something other than the player. I think we should have brought through an alternative for Carrick last season in case of injury, don't think say Dembele is that guy. But we didn't and it worked out. As I said not we're looking to invest. Moyes has said he's looking for maybe 2 midfielders I think which would be perfect for me. A carrick alternative and a creative player.

Good post but I do disagree on most points. I think Dembele's skill and physicality would be a valuable asset to the squad. He's also only 2 years older than Cleverley and probably currently better and more reliable. He's just a fresh, different option. Even if he is not good enough to take us to the Barca/Bayern level, he can help us get there. At the moment it's heavily stagnated and in dire need of new blood even if the player isn't world class. Giggs unfortunately is at times a liability there. His best performances for us last season came from further up the field. He was good in the year we beat Chelsea in the CL semis but since then very poor.

Ash_G

He's not going to try and force a move away. With a new manager and Xavi slowly fading away it'd be completely pointless for him to leave now and deny himself a chance to be a star of the club he wanted to play for so much.

Well thats if you assume they view Fabregas as his successor, a lot of the murmurings are that they don't see him in that role and whilst I haven't seen a lot of Barca it seems the Fabregas is generally played in a more attacking role. Plus although xavi is turning 34 soon with the way Barca play he could easily go for another couple of seasons, he'll get a lot more protection than giggs/scholes have been because they play a much narrower, possession based game.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The "I never said we'd get him" comments are bit daft. For a club of united's size, not being able to get a big name player after publically stating the intentions of doing so (not just once) is a bit of a kick in the teeth.

Anyway, I just hope we add real quality before the window shuts.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think we have the same benchmark when it comes to any position; no point in settling. We've just not been able to find/sign the right player. Our continued success in the league is what has probably allowed us to be so patient. It would be madness to settle for Dembele. We're not short in numbers, we're short in quality.
Why sign a Hernandez then? He's not as good as the rvn or Rvp. Why sign Ashely Young? Of course were short of numbers there. Do we have a central midfielder apart from Carrick who knows how to defend properly. Two of our central midfielders were attacking midfielders who are still learning the defensive side. Another one is almost 40. And you think we're not short of numbers? One injury to Carrick and we have no one to protect the back 4.

Drifter

American
It was not meant for Barca, but for Fabregas....assuming he is really interested in the move

Ok ,i see what you mean ,but that is assuming he or his agent gave encouragement for us to put a bid in , which listening to quotes from his team mates and i think from Fabregas sounded far from encouraging.

Shark

@NotShark
He's not going to try and force a move away. With a new manager and Xavi slowly fading away it'd be completely pointless for him to leave now and deny himself a chance to be a star of the club he wanted to play for so much.

He doesn't have to if it's Barca that want to sell him.

Ash_G

Good post but I do disagree on most points. I think Dembele's skill and physicality would be a valuable asset to the squad. He's also only 2 years older than Cleverley and probably currently better and more reliable. He's just a fresh, different option. Even if he is not good enough to take us to the Barca/Bayern level, he can help us get there. At the moment it's heavily stagnated and in dire need of new blood even if the player isn't world class. Giggs unfortunately is at times a liability there. His best performances for us last season came from further up the field. He was good in the year we beat Chelsea in the CL semis but since then very poor.

I agree he would offer something different but then you have to think as I said I don't think he or Clev are the long term answer there if we do want to take the team forward, particularly in europe. So Dembele would have just been another stop gap. Say if things work out and we did get Fabregas, he's going to be straight in as the first choice and then we have Clev/Dembele, neither really going to be the holding player, esp as Carrick still has a few seasons at the top left. Would Dembele want that role? I'm not sure.

We definitely do need investment in the middle, maybe not to win the league if we're fortunate with Carrick again but certainly in europe, but there's no point just signing anyone who is a bit better than what we have. I mean even with our midfield this season we were still very unlucky not to have beaten Real and gone through. I don't think we would have got further then that but that game showed we could compete with one of the other elite teams in europe.

Castia

I can see the ''We tried to reinforce the squad but the right players just weren't available'' quotes to come out next. Even if this Fabregas deal doesn't happen I cant see why its taken the best part of 2 months to first highlight a player that was highly unobtainable (Fabregas) and then not to improve or at least sort some of the other areas of the team out (Nani for example). It's starting to look like a complete shambles this summer.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Well we'll soon see if Barcelona are playing games or are serious about keeping Fabregas.

If they think we might walk away it might panic them into wanting renegotiations.

Shark

@NotShark
“What we’ve got here is a really good squad of players already so you mustn’t forget about the quality that is already here at Manchester United.
While it's true that we do have a really good squad already, this comment does scare me a bit.

kps88

Why sign a Hernandez then? He's not as good as the rvn or Rvp. Why sign Ashely Young? Of course were short of numbers there. Do we have a central midfielder apart from Carrick who knows how to defend properly. Two of our central midfielders were attacking midfielders who are still learning the defensive side. Another one is almost 40. And you think we're not short of numbers? One injury to Carrick and we have no one to protect the back 4.

Because we're not looking to sign a squad player. Neither Thiago or Fabregas are going to be protecting the back four; nor was Sneijder when we were in for him. This obsession with a typical holding midfielder isn't something shared by most mangers these days. We're looking to sign a quality creative midfielder who can play alongside Carrick.

You really want us to sign Dembele (that was the suggestion to which I made my comment)? If you think "better than Anderson" should be our only criteria then we would have signed loads of midfielders by now. Thankfully, we're not setting the bar so low.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Well thats if you assume they view Fabregas as his successor, a lot of the murmurings are that they don't see him in that role and whilst I haven't seen a lot of Barca it seems the Fabregas is generally played in a more attacking role. Plus although xavi is turning 34 soon with the way Barca play he could easily go for another couple of seasons, he'll get a lot more protection than giggs/scholes have been because they play a much narrower, possession based game.
He'll play a lot more when Xavi's role is reduced, there's no point leaving now. I think we're looking for a realistic target in that Barcelona team then Song at €20m would make much more sense. I used to think Fabregas was attainable but it doesn't seem to be the case.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
While it's true that we do have a really good squad already, this comment does scare me a bit.
What's he supposed to say about the current squad? They won the league but we all know they're shit and need to be shipped out?

fecking hell. The muppets on here would be pretty fecking awful managers.

Ash_G

He'll play a lot more when Xavi's role is reduced, there's no point leaving now. I think we're looking for a realistic target in that Barcelona team then Song at €20m would make much more sense. I used to think Fabregas was attainable but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Tbf I wouldn't mind Song, always thought he was underrated on here. But anyway, again thats dependent on if Fabregas is seen As Xavi's eventual replacement. They might see him as Iniesta's in which case he could have a while to wait.

Vasey20|13

This forum and this thread in particular is full of absolute fecking Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime. Will you all listen to yourselves? None of you have a fecking clue what's going on behind the scenes and every single thing in this place is guesswork nonsense. Bunch of fecking retards, it'll either happen or it won't, just keep our eye on the website and the main media instead of scrutinising every detail of things you don't know about every time there's a slight change.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
This forum and this thread in particular is full of absolute fecking Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime. Will you all listen to yourselves? None of you have a fecking clue what's going on behind the scenes and every single thing in this place is guesswork nonsense. Bunch of fecking retards, it'll either happen or it won't, just keep our eye on the website and the main media instead of scrutinising every detail of things you don't know about every time there's a slight change.

By that logic, we may as well just close the Caf down.

How about you take your preaching and shove it up your arse :)

Shark

@NotShark
What's he supposed to say about the current squad? They won the league but we all know they're shit and need to be shipped out?

fecking hell. The muppets on here would be pretty fecking awful managers.

Yeah because that's exactly what I was saying. Jesus Christ, get some fresh air.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
A bit harsh Vasey think you are missing the point of a forum!

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Because we're not looking to sign a squad player. Neither Thiago or Fabregas are going to be protecting the back four; nor was Sneijder when we were in for him. This obsession with a typical holding midfielder isn't something shared by most mangers these days. We're looking to sign a quality creative midfielder who can play alongside Carrick.

You really want us to sign Dembele (that was the suggestion to which I made my comment)? If you think "better than Anderson" should be our only criteria then we would have signed loads of midfielders by now. Thankfully, we're not setting the bar so low.
I''m sure we are. But I pray you're wrong when you say we aren't looking to sign a squad player. Because that's precisely what we need - we need it even more urgently than a creative midfielder to feature in our starting line-up. We should have signed the former player (a competent and defensively solid one) last summer - or the summer before that, even. We have been insanely lucky that Carrick hasn't gotten himself injured for any length of time.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"

Well feck me, as if we didn't know that.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
I need to calm down, this transfer malarkey is stressing me out!

Varun

Staff

Did someone shit on your lunch?

Why do people enter threads only to moan about posters I'l never understand. Specially since Damo became an admin, you dont even need to enter the thread to know the latest.

ehsanul

Bestower of favours
It didn't take long for ''i m happy with the squad'' to return.Moyes is shit in the transfer market,and with no Fergie around it will be tough for Utd to attract world class players.I guess nobody wants to play for Moyes sadly very understandable.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It didn't take long for ''i m happy with the squad'' to return.Moyes is shit in the transfer market,and with no Fergie around it will be tough for Utd to attract world class players.I guess nobody wants to play for Moyes sadly very understandable.

:lol:

Siorac

Yeah, after it came evident that Hargreaves was going to be crocked for his duration here. We spent a lot of the time waiting for him to be fit, as he was perpetually two weeks away from fitness.
Hargreaves was permanently injured since the autumn of 2008. That we haven't signed anyone to replace him two years later, by the time it became clear that Anderson was unreliable to say the least, is baffling.

And then three more years passed without a single signing for CM. Fletcher was struck down with a debilitating and long-term disease in 2011; Scholes retired in 2011! Still no signings. And instead of giving Pogba opportunities, we played Park and Rafael in midfield in one game then recalled Scholes...

You might, just might argue that in 2010, Fergie was still right to be patient, to wait on what happens to Anderson, Hargreaves, Pogba etc. But then two whole summers went by when it was obvious that we're very much short in midfield, we kept papering over the cracks there by playing defenders, wingers and strikers and we relied on Michael Carrick's ongoing fitness and form.

Yes, Fergie is a genius in terms of getting the most out of what's available; he got away with a sub-par midfield, he squeezed good performances in midfield out of players who were never CMs. But he neglected to build and strengthen the area and now Moyes is paying the price for that.

gulli_G

http://wordonthepitch.com/manchester-united-make-38m-bid-for-fabregas/

Word on the pitch seem to have not expected Moyes to say what he did in the news conference:

"According to our Source in Spain who working in the media told us, Barcelona have received an offer of £38m for Fabregas from Manchester United. This comes after David Moyes was given the green light to make the bid in a press conference that took place around 48 hours ago. We can confirm the offer was made after a message from Cesc Fabregas officials telling Old Trafford to carrying on with the bidding.
Recently retired Paul Scholes has admitted that it would be a dream if the Premier League champions were able to get Cesc Fabregas away from the Catalan giants.
7/27 20:13 – Update, according to certain media outlets Barcelona have accepted this deal which we reported, Fabregas has also agreed to join Manchester United following a secret meeting between the Barcelona midfielder’s agent Darren Dein and Old Trafford executive chief executive Ed Woodward. "

Goooose

How can you be so sure?

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I''m sure we are. But I pray you're wrong when you say we aren't looking to sign a squad player. Because that's precisely what we need - we need it even more urgently than a creative midfielder to feature in our starting line-up. We should have signed the former player (a competent and defensively solid one) last summer - or the summer before that, even. We have been insanely lucky that Carrick hasn't gotten himself injured for any length of time.

Yeah, we are seriously fecked if Carrick gets injured. It's asking for disaster if we don't address that this time round.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
I'd say this was a WUM if you didn't have form as a mewling muppet. Of zero use to anyone.

Brightonian

Jesus, you don't even get this sort of thing on the official site's 'fanzone'.

Oddly all the really hysterical stuff at the moment is coming from posters who've been around for years and years, whereas you might expect it from newer posters. Has the Newbie system not been around for very long or something?

NoLogo

http://wordonthepitch.com/manchester-united-make-38m-bid-for-fabregas/

Word on the pitch seem to have not expected Moyes to say what he did in the news conference:

"According to our Source in Spain who working in the media told us, Barcelona have received an offer of £38m for Fabregas from Manchester United. This comes after David Moyes was given the green light to make the bid in a press conference that took place around 48 hours ago. We can confirm the offer was made after a message from Cesc Fabregas officials telling Old Trafford to carrying on with the bidding.
Recently retired Paul Scholes has admitted that it would be a dream if the Premier League champions were able to get Cesc Fabregas away from the Catalan giants.
7/27 20:13 – Update, according to certain media outlets Barcelona have accepted this deal which we reported, Fabregas has also agreed to join Manchester United following a secret meeting between the Barcelona midfielder’s agent Darren Dein and Old Trafford executive chief executive Ed Woodward. "

Of course not. Every time these sites speak of a "source" what they actually mean is "we totally made that up".

Especially if the source is just another media outlet. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.