Facebook, Amazon etc....

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
How will this even help, beyond a point it's just a flood of information.
This is useless in isolation, but they don’t have it in isolation. They have this and a few hundred thousand other seemingly benign data points and a ridiculous amount of computing power to data mine it.

Off the top of my head with little thought - they could corroborate reading habits like time of day, speed, consistency etc with data about spending habits. They could then figure out the best time to target certain adverts at certain reading profiles. Although “reading profiles” will be far far more complex with far more dimensions of data than just reading and spending.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
How will this even help, beyond a point it's just a flood of information.
They'll just hire more and smarter data scientists to make sure that point never gets reached and everything remains useful to generate more money.

Can you explain how that data might be used?
Do you really not know?

What books do you like
How often do you read
What time do you usually read
How long do you spend reading
What chapters did you spend more time on
How many times did you go back to a certain topic
How long do you spend reading those topics
Is there anything you skim over

And so on and so on. It's building up a picture of what people like and don't like.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Can you explain how that data might be used?
Firstly, all your electronic data has a value. And that value is by the sites packaging up and selling on parts or all of your data.

Secondly, sites now employ hoards of data analysts who can then further transfer that data into meaningful information and sell that on.

And this adding of value to your data carries on and on.
And you have absolutely no say in the matter.
We live in a world where information is king.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
They'll just hire more and smarter data scientists to make sure that point never gets reached and everything remains useful to generate more money.
Nah... They will develop ai to make algorithms to do that... Far more cost effective in the long run than data scientists
Get a few econometrics till the ai can outperform then as well
Add a few more itterations into the model and we have skynet and the knowledge that not only will the revolution be televised it will be monetised on Amazon prime.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Firstly, all your electronic data has a value. And that value is by the sites packaging up and selling on parts or all of your data.

Secondly, sites now employ hoards of data analysts who can then further transfer that data into meaningful information and sell that on.

And this adding of value to your data carries on and on.
And you have absolutely no say in the matter.
We live in a world where information is king.
Also done we live in a world where the carbon footprint for data server farms is approaching that of airline travel and increasing exponentially ... Perhaps that will kill us before skynet...or carbon taxes will make people much more careful about data storage?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Also done we live in a world where the carbon footprint for data server farms is approaching that of airline travel and increasing exponentially ... Perhaps that will kill us before skynet...or carbon taxes will make people much more careful about data storage?
Quite so. But hopefully technology will innovative to reduce the need for energy consumption. Is that not why some such facilities are being located in Iceland.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
All big tech companies ingest every user action as an event.
As someone who works in big data, storage is the single most expensive thing in the business, even for companies as big and wealthy as Amazon. Unless they are keeping a running log that refreshes itself after certain days/entries, there's simply no way they can log every user action and store it for eternity.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
As someone who works in big data, storage is the single most expensive thing in the business, even for companies as big and wealthy as Amazon. Unless they are keeping a running log that refreshes itself after certain days/entries, there's simply no way they can log every user action and store it for eternity.
Firebase

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
S3 storage is pretty cheap and within that you can use Glacier for any data where availability is not a prime concern.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
It is not that big a deal.
"This fund has an initial donation of $25 million from Amazon. The company will continue to make additional contributions to the fund as it’s needed. While we aren’t expecting anyone to do so, you can make a voluntary donation to the fund if you desire to do so."

0le

You can block the data being sent using apps such as Blokada which create a local VPN and stop the requests from being sent. This does not require you to root your phone.

The app can be downloaded on the F-Droid store, an app store for android which has only free and open source applications:
https://f-droid.org/

Alternatively you can download the apk directly from their website:
https://blokada.org/

All you have to do is download the app and active it. They have pre-built ad-block lists and they'll probably contain a ton to block amazon services. You can also add your own ones if you wish.

The Blokada app is extremely useful for watching content on demand services without having to watch adverts. It works for ITV, C4 and Five Demand but it won't work for youtube. If you want to watch youtube without adverts you should use the NewPipe app. Again this is also available on the F-Droid store. It works fairly well and also works for live content. You can also use it to play music in the background whilst having another app opened.
https://newpipe.schabi.org/

EwanI Ted

You can block the data being sent using apps such as Blokada which create a local VPN and stop the requests from being sent. This does not require you to root your phone.
I'd add NextDNS as another option.

https://nextdns.io

Works on iOS as well as Android, windows etc. You can also use it with your router and it blocks ads & trackers across your home network. The online dashboard lets you choose what blocklists to use, see analytics, whitelist, etc. Next best thing to a piHole. Not FOSS though, if that matters to anyone.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
https://jewishcurrents.org/amazon-workers-say-warehouse-health-precautions-are-insufficient/

OVER THE WEEKEND, workers at MSP1—an Amazon fulfillment center in Shakopee, Minnesota—walked off the job just after midnight to protest the upcoming end of Amazon’s unlimited unpaid time off (UPT) policy and the firing of a worker who had stayed home with her children. The UPT benefit, which was implemented in early March in response to Covid-19, and which allows workers to stay home without pay if they feel sick, is set to expire at the end of April.
“I live with a [child], my girlfriend, and my mom and dad. Let’s say Amazon lets someone in [to work] because he has no hours left of UPT. I’m going to go in and contract the virus. Say I’m asymptomatic and I infect my whole house, and nearly kill half my damn family. Just because Bezos cares more about his fecking money than his employees.”
Amazon workers can be subject to disciplinary measures and even firing if they fail to keep up with the hectic pace of work—known as “rate”—and the first survey question asks how trying to keep up with rate affects workers’ health. In response, 317 of the 373 respondents say keeping up with rate impacts their ability to wash their hands and otherwise sanitize their workstations.
As for what personal protective equipment (PPE) is being provided by the company, answers vary widely. While the San Bernardino worker (who participated in the survey) told me that face masks are being provided, and social distancing measures and temperature checks have been implemented at their warehouse, one respondent based at DTW1—a warehouse in Romulus, Michigan—states that as recently as April 15th, no PPE of any kind was being provided. Fifty-one of the survey’s respondents report only being given face masks—meaning they have not been provided with hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, disposable gloves, goggles, face shields, or physical barrier between workstations. A second San Bernardino ONT2 worker I spoke with yesterday says they are still not providing gloves in the facility, even though the company informed him and his coworkers of two more positive Covid-19 cases in their warehouse on Sunday.
“I cough a lot in [the warehouse]; it’s not a dry cough, but I haven’t had a chance to go to a doctor because I haven’t used a lot of UPT, because I need the money,” says the second ONT2 worker in San Bernardino. “I’m risking my life, and I have diabetes.”

“They make millions upon billions and always let us know how much we’re appreciated,” adds the first worker. “Well, show us that appreciation. Tell your fecking customers to feck off for once and protect the labor force that makes your fecking money.”
https://jewishcurrents.org/amazon-workers-say-warehouse-health-precautions-are-insufficient/

Revan

Assumptionman
It's a such shitty article though, even Daily Mail would have struggled to come with such nonsense.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
There was a story about 2 years back showing how local news channels coordinated their pro-Trump segments during the Colin Kaepernick kneeling thing.

One more entity has the same power to disseminate propaganda as the US president.

"At least 10 stations across the country ran some form of the package on their news broadcasts. The package—you can view the script Amazon provided to news stations here—was produced by Amazon spokesperson Todd Walker. Only one station, Toledo ABC affiliate WTVG, acknowledged that Walker was an Amazon employee, not a news reporter. WTVG and WGXA in Macon, Georgia, noted that Amazon had supplied the video."

F-Red

Some of the Amazon tactics spoken in congress, certainly around advertising spend of brands with Amazon, is very true. I've experienced it first hand. They also have an awful track record in terms of payments, withholding regularly.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Since Amazon has the ambitions and cash if a state, it is logical they are starting to perform the functions of a state- spying on dissidents.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

I've read that Q has spread on TikTok as well as fb, making it possible to have a right-wing zoomer-boomer alliance.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days

I've read that Q has spread on TikTok as well as fb, making it possible to have a right-wing zoomer-boomer alliance.
I trust our little zoomer friends, the don’t take any bullshit. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them all conspiring together to expose this QAnon bullshit once and for all. It’ll be like Toto pulling back the curtain.