Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
He reminds me a bit of Garnacho in terms of how direct he is. Would be exciting to see them both on the pitch.
Yeah hoping that Uruguay still go through just to see a bit more of him.

whitbyviking

Don’t think he has the dog in him like Garnacho. Probably a bit lightweight, and yes I know he’s young and will develop physically, but just doesn’t look at this stage like he will. Probably have a very good career in Italy or Spain.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Reminds me of Bernardo Silva. Certainly has quality, great acceleration and close control with a low centre of gravity.

Dve

Puzzles me a bit that with Antony our for several games, he still doesn't get a minute. He surely must be an alternative to playing Fernandes on the right. Would be sad to see him leaving without giving him a minute to prove what he can do in a United shirt.

MUnchies

Would rather keep Pellistri than getting Pulisic in january, if the rumors are to be believed.

Bobski

He looked like a player who should have been getting minutes. Bright, direct, a different style of play in a position we don't have a natural back up.

SAF is the GOAT

Just Guessing here : Maybe ETH prefers wingers with opposite foot and not the traditional wingers

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Just Guessing here : Maybe ETH prefers wingers with opposite foot and not the traditional wingers
We only have one left footed player who can play there. He sticks Rashford, Elanga and Bruno out on the right regularly.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
We only have one left footed player who can play there. He sticks Rashford, Elanga and Bruno out on the right regularly.
I think Elanga gets minutes there because he trusts he tracks back, as he offers very little offensively. Rashford is obviously done no favours playing there, but with him on the pitch there's always a chance, while Bruno obviously does a shift defensively and effective in the high press.

It's probably been posted in this thread but there was a piece the other day about him doing individual training after team training and trying to gain strength to be stronger on the ball. Seems to have a great attitude and they certainly appreciate him in Uruguay. Work off the ball must be the main stumbling block to getting minutes at United. I've been very impressed with Antony off the ball.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Don’t think he has the dog in him like Garnacho. Probably a bit lightweight, and yes I know he’s young and will develop physically, but just doesn’t look at this stage like he will. Probably have a very good career in Italy or Spain.
Not sure what having the dog is, but I'd hazard a guess that the combination of:

-being brought on with your country trailing Portugal
-being the youngest player out there
-not hiding but instead getting actively involved, driving forward and making what few opportunities Uruguay had materialise

Should be quite close to "having the dog". I said it back in March, kid's got spunk.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I think Elanga gets minutes there because he trusts he tracks back, as he offers very little offensively. Rashford is obviously done no favours playing there, but with him on the pitch there's always a chance, while Bruno obviously does a shift defensively and effective in the high press.

It's probably been posted in this thread but there was a piece the other day about him doing individual training after team training and trying to gain strength to be stronger on the ball. Seems to have a great attitude and they certainly appreciate him in Uruguay. Work off the ball must be the main stumbling block to getting minutes at United. I've been very impressed with Antony off the ball.
People were criticising Pellistri after the last game for applying himself too much (or well? given it was his instruction) at tracking back and helping out with Son.

Benched today, comes on with a remit to attack and he does it with gusto.

We just have to stop making shit up, play him and it's sink or swim. No doubt he'll grab the opportunity with both hands if given.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
People were criticising Pellistri after the last game for applying himself too much (or well? given it was his instruction) at tracking back and helping out with Son.

Benched today, comes on with a remit to attack and he does it with gusto.

We just have to stop making shit up, play him and it's sink or swim. No doubt he'll grab the opportunity with both hands if given.
I'm simply speculating as to why he hasn't gotten a chance yet.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
I'm simply speculating as to why he hasn't gotten a chance yet.
I think it’s as simple as ETH preferring Elanga to him. Didn’t Elanga get a ton of praise for his play for Sweden against Mexico a couple of weeks ago? Saw some report that he played as a striker, there were some nice highlights on my Twitter feed.

You will hear no complaints on me if Elanga was sent on loan to the Championship, that is where he should be. But I think his contribution to the team is much better than how he looks from a ‘scouting report’ POV. He fumbles a few receptions/dribbles per game, it don’t look good. But at the same time; he is really quick on loose balls to regain possession. He works tremendously hard. He definitely pushes defenders back with his speed. He is a threat with his runs in behind the D line. There is always raving report on how hard he works in training.

My point is just, ETH got to pick one, right? There isn’t enough playing time even remotely for two. I don’t think it’s odd that he picked Elanga. And that leaves Pellestri on the outside looking in.

I like Pellestri, but I don’t quite think he got that high potential. It’s not like I fear that we would be missing out on getting a world class player. Certainly has potential to become a solid player on a team in one of the top 4 leagues. But not for a top 4 team in a top 4 league. Not saying Elanga has that — but if Pellestri had it and Elanga did it, it would change my view of ETHs choice. Now I can’t really fault it. In addition, when ETH is picking one of these two to give minutes to, Elanga is also a bit more experienced having been given a ton of minutes for us under RR.

Last edited:

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
We got 15m for JG, we paid what, 8m?, to get Pellestri. Can we get 12m for him?

We don’t sell many players and especially not many guys with a profit.

NoPace

It's not a mystery. He's a quality young prospect on the wing who has 0 goals in 42 games in La Liga and for Uruguay. 2 in 37 for Penarol.

He looks like he'll be a quality winger in 2-3 years, but not a big goalscorer even then, and his complete lack of goal threat is keeping him out of the United team and the Uruguay starting lineup despite their dire need for a some width and energy in attack.

Ideally we'd loan him out for 18 months in January, let him become somewhat settled and a success in maybe the Netherlands, Belgium or Portugal for a Europa league level team (so basically not Ajax, Sporting, Benfica or Porto because Brugge should regress) and then bring him back to back up Antony.

Hope he starts against South Korea. Really liked watching him link up and carry the ball.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
We got 15m for JG, we paid what, 8m?, to get Pellestri. Can we get 12m for him?

We don’t sell many players and especially not many guys with a profit.
We got nearly 30m for Dan James. Not saying we'll get as much, but feel like it's a solid comparison

Red00012

So when is the last time he started a competitive game at club level ? I don’t think he has started a game in 2022

Rake

Very bizarre this. Several managers do not play him, but he starts for the national team and actually looks like a decent player, certainly not like someone who should be disregarded every time.

Where is the catch?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He reminds me of Dan James, all pace and directness but not actually any good

kundalini

I watched the Uruguay v Ghana match to see how Pellistri is performing.

He worked hard for the team. Looked conscientious defensively, even if the understanding between him and Varela wasn't always great.

He helped steal possession in the build-up to the first goal and was involved in the move that led to the 2nd goal. Tried a cut back that might have been quite clever but for the lack of Uruguay players in the box, another cross was defended and he had a chance that went narrowly wide, just before being substituted.

Overall, I thought he lacked a bit of authority; would have liked to see him demand the ball from team-mates then attempt to make something happen. Perfectly understandable given he is one of the youngest players in the team, relatively inexperienced at international level and not played much since his first Alaves loan.

I like him but feel he needs to learn how to influence the game in the attacking third, figure out how to score goals and create more chances. If he can do that, then he could be United level. I was far more impressed by his performance against Atletico Madrid during his initial Alaves loan.

The wisdom of buying Amad and Pellistri, then Sancho and most recently Antony, especially for the respective prices paid, is beyond me.

Last edited:

NoPace

The wisdom of buying Amad and Pellistri, then Sancho and most recently Antony, is beyond me.
Agreed with your whole post. In particular, it's just not good squad management for us to have spent 8M on Pellistri and 25-30M plus adds for Amad instead of picking one and spending the money that went to the other on a young CB or RB, either of whom we could bring into the squad next year. Poor planning.

Pellistri might be good enough for us to be a really decent backup to Antony in 18 months, just doesn't seem like he wants to go on loan somewhere. My guess is we'll make him go on loan for the next 6 months unless Ten Hag is ready to start playing him, and Garnacho being ahead means Sancho surely needs games on the right, so my guess is despite him being against it, we'll send him on loan. He's under contract until 2025 but then we have an option for another year, so if he comes back in the summer of 2024 after playing somewhere for 18 months, we'll have a year to get him in the team or sell him.

Assuming he agrees to it, it's just about finding the right loan. Somewhere with decent teammates but a hole on the wing, where his link play will help him as it does for Uruguay. Not sure if he's ultimately a RW or LW, either.

In terms of a Prem loan, the best one I can see is Bournemouth, which would be kind of interesting if he wouldn't turn up his nose. They have a solid midfield in Lemar-Cook-Billing and some 9s in Solanke and Moore, but only Tavernier, Christie and Jaden Anthony on the wing. Don't see why he couldn't win the RW job with Tavernier out left and Christie/Moore able to come in as subs, or sometimes Moore starting with Solanke out wide but Pellistri is the #1 option to come on.

Otherwise it's abroad, either La Liga again but to a better team, Ligue 1 or Bundesliga one would think. Celta Vigo stick out as playing basically a 4-4-2 that could use him on the right (it's really more of a 4-1-3-2 they're kinda nuts there) or left since their wide guys aren't very good, but they look to attack so might be a better place for him to do his thing than playing as a 2nd rightback in a team like Alaves.

He can play, he just has no goal threat whatsoever in him and needs to become at least a regular bad goalscorer like a Bernardo Silva (1 in 5 or 6 say) does before he can really be useful here, even as Antony's backup.

Ekeke

Stage too big for him at this point. Obviously there are older and more experienced players who should take the blame, Nunez for example was even less effective.

Leaving out de Arrascaeta was obviously a mistake considering how he responded in the final game scoring 2. Obviously he played on the left and Pellistri on the right so they werent in direct competition but he's been one of if not the top player in Brazil for years so hes obviously a more experiended and dependable option, while Pellistri lacks that track record especially when it comes to end product and Pellistri getting 2 starts while he only got 1 doesnt seem right at all. If they wanted Suarez and Nunez then Nunez could have been on the right with de Arrascaeta on the left.

Anyway I hope he learned plenty and comes back ready to go out on loan in Jan and prove himself in a way he hasnt yet. Please keep it to a championship team... Not Spain again

Bondi77

Stage too big for him at this point. Obviously there are older and more experienced players who should take the blame, Nunez for example was even less effective.

Leaving out de Arrascaeta was obviously a mistake considering how he responded in the final game scoring 2. Obviously he played on the left and Pellistri on the right so they werent in direct competition but he's been one of if not the top player in Brazil for years so hes obviously a more experiended and dependable option, while Pellistri lacks that track record especially when it comes to end product and Pellistri getting 2 starts while he only got 1 doesnt seem right at all. If they wanted Suarez and Nunez then Nunez could have been on the right with de Arrascaeta on the left.

Anyway I hope he learned plenty and comes back ready to go out on loan in Jan and prove himself in a way he hasnt yet. Please keep it to a championship team... Not Spain again
I think he would do really well in the Championship as he is hard working and direct

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I’ll be disappointed if we don’t give him a proper chance. Genuinely feel there’s a gem of a player in him.

Elcabron

Time to cash in while stock is high, 15 to 20m not unrealistic for full international at his age. Same for Elanga.

UpWithRivers

99 percent of young players need time to get to a level to play for a top club like Man Utd. Around 24 is the age you know what they are truly are. Players like Pellestri, Elanga, Amad and even Mejbri and on and on need a settled team for a few years. I dont understand why they couldn't get 20-30 games a year for 4-6th ish level team in Portugal/Netherlands/Germany/France etc for 2-3 years. But it never seems to work out that way for United players. Like Connor Gallagher managed 30 plus games at Crystal palace etc.

footballbite

Agreed with your whole post. In particular, it's just not good squad management for us to have spent 8M on Pellistri and 25-30M plus adds for Amad instead of picking one and spending the money that went to the other on a young CB or RB, either of whom we could bring into the squad next year. Poor planning.

Pellistri might be good enough for us to be a really decent backup to Antony in 18 months, just doesn't seem like he wants to go on loan somewhere. My guess is we'll make him go on loan for the next 6 months unless Ten Hag is ready to start playing him, and Garnacho being ahead means Sancho surely needs games on the right, so my guess is despite him being against it, we'll send him on loan. He's under contract until 2025 but then we have an option for another year, so if he comes back in the summer of 2024 after playing somewhere for 18 months, we'll have a year to get him in the team or sell him.

Assuming he agrees to it, it's just about finding the right loan. Somewhere with decent teammates but a hole on the wing, where his link play will help him as it does for Uruguay. Not sure if he's ultimately a RW or LW, either.

In terms of a Prem loan, the best one I can see is Bournemouth, which would be kind of interesting if he wouldn't turn up his nose. They have a solid midfield in Lemar-Cook-Billing and some 9s in Solanke and Moore, but only Tavernier, Christie and Jaden Anthony on the wing. Don't see why he couldn't win the RW job with Tavernier out left and Christie/Moore able to come in as subs, or sometimes Moore starting with Solanke out wide but Pellistri is the #1 option to come on.

Otherwise it's abroad, either La Liga again but to a better team, Ligue 1 or Bundesliga one would think. Celta Vigo stick out as playing basically a 4-4-2 that could use him on the right (it's really more of a 4-1-3-2 they're kinda nuts there) or left since their wide guys aren't very good, but they look to attack so might be a better place for him to do his thing than playing as a 2nd rightback in a team like Alaves.

He can play, he just has no goal threat whatsoever in him and needs to become at least a regular bad goalscorer like a Bernardo Silva (1 in 5 or 6 say) does before he can really be useful here, even as Antony's backup.
Some good points - perhaps the main thing holding him back is that he's a very right-footed player who plays on the right wing. Same sided wingers are simply not as effective and popular any more as inverted wingers/forwards, due to there being more onus on them to score goals and less to assist.

Teams now play 433 with inverted forwards, not 442 with wingers crossing for 2 CFs.

The only wide attackers you now see sometimes doing okay at a high level on their same side are those with ridiculous pace and dribbling, meaning they can both skin the full-back on the outside to cross, but also make enough space to sometimes shoot with their right, even when it's usually easier to move the ball on to their left for a shot. Rashford does these things sometimes on the right, and there's also Dan James and Ismaila Sarr. These are rare examples though, and all three players might still be more dangerous on the left.

While Pellistri is indeed very quick, he's not quite Rashford, James and Sarr quick.

He could provide something different for Utd as a RW off the bench, but will never challenge for 1st choice there. He'll have to ultimately either move to a less demanding club, try becoming a LW and learn to shoot, become a RWB, or dramatically improve his left foot. None of which are simple.

SAF is the GOAT

He's too reliant on his speed when dribble and beat a defender

also needs to practice shooting in general and shooting with his weaker foot.

If you want to be a better footballer(not to mention be a Manchester's united player) - you have to have those things in your locker

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Wasn't he just unavailable for most of this season? I thought he only just got fit in time for the WC. Hence not playing for us.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Wasn't he just unavailable for most of this season? I thought he only just got fit in time for the WC. Hence not playing for us.
He returned towards the end of September. Played for Uruguay and the u23s in early October. Ten Haag said at the time he was back and had to prove in training that he deserves a chance. He evidently never did.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He returned towards the end of September. Played for Uruguay and the u23s in early October. Ten Haag said at the time he was back and had to prove in training that he deserves a chance. He evidently never did.
Ah fair enough. That is kinda disappointing then. Trust ETH I guess :)

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
He was injured in preseason which was a vital time for ETH to assess players so I think that's a major part of why he's not featured much

I'd be tempted to cash in on him if we get offers in Jan - should make a profit to spend on a striker

NoPace

Some good points - perhaps the main thing holding him back is that he's a very right-footed player who plays on the right wing. Same sided wingers are simply not as effective and popular any more as inverted wingers/forwards, due to there being more onus on them to score goals and less to assist.

Teams now play 433 with inverted forwards, not 442 with wingers crossing for 2 CFs.

The only wide attackers you now see sometimes doing okay at a high level on their same side are those with ridiculous pace and dribbling, meaning they can both skin the full-back on the outside to cross, but also make enough space to sometimes shoot with their right, even when it's usually easier to move the ball on to their left for a shot. Rashford does these things sometimes on the right, and there's also Dan James and Ismaila Sarr. These are rare examples though, and all three players might still be more dangerous on the left.

While Pellistri is indeed very quick, he's not quite Rashford, James and Sarr quick.

He could provide something different for Utd as a RW off the bench, but will never challenge for 1st choice there. He'll have to ultimately either move to a less demanding club, try becoming a LW and learn to shoot, become a RWB, or dramatically improve his left foot. None of which are simple.
Agreed with every word except I think he could become an LW and stay a below average shooter and be alright if he can age into a Silva (Bernardo or David) type wizard between the lines, but like any young player who shows flashes, it's hard to say if he'll hit his median outcome and not get there, or get to his 95th percentile outcome and do it.

Andrew Richmond

The kid needs to move on in the January transfer window for his future and sanity. He is clearly not going to get an opportunity here rightly or wrongly. I had a feeling tonight was the night he would get a debut, didn’t happen so clearly it is never going to happen for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.