Fairly mainstream opinion : Onana isn’t Fabrice Ondoa, or very good

sdb4884

We have a decent backup, if a player has a bad game they should be dropped. Onana hasn't exactly played well in our other losses either. I realize that it's not all on him but I'm keen to see what Bayindir has to offer.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Forget about De Gea. Onana will always be conceding silly goals. He just isn’t good. He is another one in the long list of ETH’s ex players that he is obsessed with bringing to Old Trafford. Same will apply I’m pretty sure for another one of his ex players, Amrabat.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
The alternative to letting DDG go at the end of his contract was keeping him for 4 years at 200k/week. Those were the agreed terms. There is no scenario where we keep him for a year while we sort out other issues.
Honestly, I’d have done it. He could have given us 2 years and then dropped to be back up or sold. Now we have no cash and no DDG.

KeanoMagicHat

A clean sheet in the CL is a clean sheet in the CL. The worlds most elite club competition after all.
United 1 Wolves 0 - Onana clean sheet, Wolves 2 Brentford 0 in April - no Raya clean sheet. A clean sheet in the PL is a clean sheet in the PL. The world’s most elite league after all.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Honestly, I’d have done it. He could have given us 2 years and then dropped to be back up or sold. Now we have no cash and no DDG.
That's the thing though, he'd be unsellable at 200k and then we'd be stuck with a backup keeper on insanely high wages.

Dominos

Lies. DDG saves the first two, no problems. He concedes the pen cos he’s shite at them, and the one into the roof of the net by Tel is 50/50 if he reacts in time.
You must be trolling, zero chance with the 2nd and 4th goals.

The 1st goal is a howler, but it's literally a trademark De Gea howler. De Gea might aswell sue Onana for copyright. People need to go watch the howlers of De Gea vs West Ham, City, Everton, Sevilla, Brentford last season before they come on here with "De Gea would have saved that".

I'm all for criticising mistakes of our current players but there's no need to re-write history to do it. De Gea was very mistake prone in his last 5 years.

Based Adnan

De Gea defenders are deluded. The man is unemployed after being passed over by Madrid and Bayern in favour of Ulreich and Kepa for a reason, shot stopping included.

mintyred

I watched a video of every shot he faced last season and he is a mediocre shot stopper with a strange technique, but that doesn’t mean he can’t improve. But everything he does gets put under a microscope more than any keeper I’ve seen since de Gea joined United

sdb4884

Forget about De Gea. Onana will always be conceding silly goals. He just isn’t good. He is another one in the long list of ETH’s ex players that he is obsessed with bringing to Old Trafford. Same will apply I’m pretty sure for another one of his ex players, Amrabat.
Yeah the list is a long & worrying one now.

Oranges038

Yeah Onana has played 1% of De Gea’s total games for United but that’s enough to judge him as a failed signing apparently.
I've noticed that most of the posters who have come to the conclusion that he's terrible are the ones who were adamant DDG was still world class and should have been kept.

He may very well be another Barthez, for some reason I always liked Barthez, from that Monaco game in 97 or 98, always thought he was class. But, we never got to see as much of players outside of live games back then. Hated it so much that he turned out to be shit. But that's beside the point.

If Onana ever tries to hail a taxi when a player is through 1 on 1. Then we'll know.

gaffs

Are we even benefiting from his passing and distribution right now?

We are not seeing the kind of distribution we saw when he was playing for Inter.

To me, our midfield are not comfortable enough receiving the ball facing goal and they certainly dont want to make space for themselves to receive it.

always_hoping

New club new country and only into his 6th game in his career at United and already opinions like this is formed.

Mods don't we already have Onana thread on here and any such views as from the op can be merged into that thread.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
His shot stopping looks to be pretty bad, not just tonight’s mistake. He’s also glued to his line, there was one attack I was waiting for him to just run and slide on the ball but he stood in his line and then lindelof got back and stopped the cross.

I just seen a video showing some mistakes from his past, we’re in for a fun ride.

evil_geko

That doesn’t help United this year though does it?
But it does help not to post embarrassing stuff about him only several games into the season when there was literal proof that he can be consistently great just season before.

glasgow 21

Give it till tomorrow morning and there will be 19 separate discussion on it.
Loving the negativity.

Smores

Think some watched a few of his CL performances and convinced themselves that meant he was an elite shot stopper. His stats show he's good but not great, same as De Gea of late but Onana will be measured on overall package. Think so many had convinced themselves it would be easy to get a great shot stopper in.

Plant0x84

But it does help not to post embarrassing stuff about him only several games into the season when there was literal proof that he can be consistently great just season before.
Are you optimistic that we will finish the season in top 4 this season?

Do you believe we will get out of the CL group stages?

Will we see a trophy again this season?

Im not confident.

The only embarrassing thing is how poor we have been this season so far, which is in not small part down to our goal keeper.

calcio

So far this season he has been shocking. There were reports we were looking at Onana and Diogo Costa as a replacement. A lot of these signings are really starting to look like only players that ETH has been with before. Was part of his contract to let him have full say on transfers and ignore any analysis from our scouts?

tompo18

I just watched his post match interview. He owned his mistake and took full responsibility. I like him; let's give him a chance.

croadyman

Whatever you think about that mistake and it was bad,personally feel he deserves some respect for coming out and owning the defeat

evil_geko

Im not confident.

The only embarrassing thing is how poor we have been this season so far, which is in not small part down to our goal keeper.
Are you optimistic that we will finish the season in top 4 this season? Yes.

Do you believe we will get out of the CL group stages? Yes.

Will we see a trophy again this season? This is not a certainty even for best teams out there. But sure, some Cup and going very far into CL.

JB7

Im not confident.

It's got far more to do with missing half the squad through injury or "unavailability" to be fair.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Don't you remember De Gea saving a shot just like that first goal today at West Ham last season?
Forgot who that was against, just rewatched it. Somehow worse than Onana's tonight :lol:

Ghirahim

He's not a good goal keeper. Good with his feet but poor with his hands.

JB7

Forgot who that was against, just rewatched it. Somehow worse than Onana's tonight :lol:
I'm sure these "De Gea saves that" types after every goal we concede either haven't watched De Gea since 2018 or only watch MUTV style 2 minute highlight where any mistakes by a United player are completely brushed over, but a basic save from a shot from 45 yards is replayed about 7 times.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
New club new country and only into his 6th game in his career at United and already opinions like this is formed.

Mods don't we already have Onana thread on here and any such views as from the op can be merged into that thread.
To be fair De Gea was a good servant for the club, it's only fair that he's allowed to start threads talking about his replacement.

Oranges038

This thread should be called "Massive knee-jerk reaction"
It's not knee jerk at all.

The DDG loyalists have been waiting until there was a goal that was 100% Onana's fault. So they could come out with this nonsense.

Judas

Open to offers
I'm not shocked, called it in the summer this reaction would happen very quickly. I'd still have sold De Gea for him though. But it is a frustrating level of errors so far to be fair.

JB7

The DDG loyalists have been waiting until there was a goal that was 100% Onana's fault. So they could come out with this nonsense.
In fairness where else are they going to get their De Gea fix? It's not as though they can watch him play unless they fly a drone over his garden.

CloneMC16

Doesn't make sense, because De Gea let in 2 goals like this last season. He did it against Brentford and West Ham. The guy hasn't been a good shot stopper since 2018.

In fairness where else are they going to get their De Gea fix? It's not as though they can watch him play unless they fly a drone over his garden.
:lol:

always_hoping

To be fair De Gea was a good servant for the club, it's only fair that he's allowed to start threads talking about his replacement.
More disappointed with DeGea than ever, wasting his free time on here and what type of poor thought out username is plant0x84?

Ole'sattheWheel

I respect that he came out and apologised and is willing to admit he's the reason we lost tonight (even if that isn't 100% true). Don't think I ever saw Maguire/De Gea et al do that even once over the years over individual errors in the amount of games they cost us.

Plant0x84

Doesn't make sense, because De Gea let in 2 goals like this last season. He did it against Brentford and West Ham. The guy hasn't been a good shot stopper since 2018.

:lol:
More disappointed with DeGea than ever, wasting his free time on here and what type of poor thought out username is plant0x84?
Thread is about Onana being poor. If you look at my OP DDG wasn’t even mentioned.

Plant0x84

Don't think I ever saw Maguire/De Gea et al do that even once
There was a period under Ole/Rangnick when Maguire made a ‘sorry we’re shite, we let you down, it won’t happen again’ speech to the media every week. I’m sure there was a thread about how tiresome it became on here. ‘Stuff your words to the media lads, how about you do your talking on the pitch, capische?!’