Fairly mainstream opinion : Onana isn’t Fabrice Ondoa, or very good

Tony Clifton

The time for De Gea to go was long overdue. But I hoped we would be upgrading instead of…well whatever this is. Onana sure as hell is not an upgrade so far.

Lee565

Could have got Brentford or Brighton keepers for nearly half the price and now we are stuck in situation where we are going to have to score at least 2 goals in most of our matches to make up for these constant mistakes made by onana.

Diego_Milito

Supports
FC Internazionale
He is a good keeper who also had a dodgy start for Inter too, last year, but then came out well.

You just need a better defence.
Then again, it's up to you ... blame the keeper, and the next keeper after that, and the next keeper again, and so forth ....
Or do something to fix that defence.

And give us Onana back, you can get Sommer for free if you just give us our keeper back.
You'll be complaining even more if Sommer was your #1, he has been really bad for us.

Ace

Definitely the worst #1 I’ve seen for United. Probably one of the worst starting keepers in the league.

Admittedly I hadn’t watched much of him before his move and had heard about his poor shot stopping, but what’s going on here? Wasn’t he supposed to be a commanding presence? Wasn’t he supposed to be good with the ball at his feet? Wasn’t he supposed to be able to play high as a sweeper keeper?

He’s rooted to his line most of the game and terrible with the ball at his feet. Every cross or shot has the potential of ending up in the net…He makes de Gea look like a modern goalkeeper by comparison.

SAFMUTD

There's no way he's as bad as this. It must be an all time low lack of confidence.

If this is his level he wouldn't even be a professional player. He'll get better.

el3mel

Does this guy have no shame ? How can a professional GK concede such shot ?

Oscar Bonavena

I don't right give a f**k if this guy was prime Buffon in his Inter days or not, the fact is he's a liability now and is costing us goals and games. He needs to be dropped.

If he has the character necessary to be a Manchester United goalkeeper, he'll use it as motivation to work on his game, improve and win his place back.

If he goes off in a sulk, we'll know he wasn't right for the job in the first place.

Diego_Milito

Supports
FC Internazionale
I don't right give a f**k if this guy was prime Buffon in his Inter days or not, the fact is he's a liability now and is costing us goals and games. He needs to be dropped.

If he has the character necessary to be a Manchester United goalkeeper, he'll use it as motivation to work on his game, improve and win his place back.

If he goes off in a sulk, we'll know he wasn't right for the job in the first place.
What really cost you a goal was how ridiculously easily Brentford's forward could shoot.
Onana let it in so easily, but your table ranking is not inconsistent with the ability of your defence.
Drop Onana, and the next keeper will struggle just as much.

ClassAct147

Makes Paddy Roche look good and that takes some doing.
Time he sat and watched for a while.

mu4c_20le

What really cost you a goal was how ridiculously easily Brentford's forward could shoot.
Onana let it in so easily, but your table ranking is not inconsistent with the ability of your defence.
Even taking that into account, he's still on the bottom half of the table based on PSxG. Keepers like Areola, Neto, Sa and Leno also face many shots and are showing much more than him.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Motm in his first game. One shocking error in his next and that was it. Onana has a full collection of shockers
Third match was the error. He was MOTM in his second match, the 1-1 vs Wimbledon. His fourth match was the 0-5 massacre at Chelsea in which Butt was sent off early, Berg had an own goal, and I think Taibi had an error that led to a goal.

He also wasn't totally frozen out, he was selected in the subs list for few league matches and the ICC match thereafter and SAF wasn't ready to axe him from the club according to Taibi - he had family issues in Italy and elected to return. https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/massimo-taibi-man-utd-ferguson-26209913

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Nah.

He is a good goalkeeper, just not as good as many believed him to be. He phenomenal at what he is best at but the team should be able to mask his weakness, just like for any other player on the pitch.

Trequarista10

He is a good keeper who also had a dodgy start for Inter too, last year, but then came out well.

Then again, it's up to you ... blame the keeper, and the next keeper after that, and the next keeper again, and so forth ....

And give us Onana back, you can get Sommer for free if you just give us our keeper back.
You'll be complaining even more if Sommer was your #1, he has been really bad for us.
The defence is only one factor. The other, fairly significant, factor is that Onana let's quite a few weak shots beat him.

I'm not writing him off and hope it's just nerves have got to him and he's in a dip of form where one error leads to more nerves which leads to another error. Hopefully an excellent game can turn his fortunes around. But he needs to do better, regardless of the defence. De Gea had the occasional howler in his last couple seasons, but even then he would pull out frequent wonder saves. Onana's ball playing may prove more significant than an ability to produce world class saves, but he needs to consistently save tame attempts on goal.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Definitely the worst #1 I’ve seen for United. Probably one of the worst starting keepers in the league.

Admittedly I hadn’t watched much of him before his move and had heard about his poor shot stopping, but what’s going on here? Wasn’t he supposed to be a commanding presence? Wasn’t he supposed to be good with the ball at his feet? Wasn’t he supposed to be able to play high as a sweeper keeper?

He’s rooted to his line most of the game and terrible with the ball at his feet. Every cross or shot has the potential of ending up in the net…He makes de Gea look like a modern goalkeeper by comparison.
Couldn't have been watching united for too long then.

JagUTD

Hes been rubbish and I don't see the connection between him and the defence that De Gea had.

Personally I'd be begging Dave to rejoin and swallow whatever pride I had left but we also have to remember it's early days, the club is a mess and even De Gea himself started poorly before reaching legendary status.

Ultimately it's better for United of Onana steps it up.

Judas

Open to offers
Hes been rubbish and I don't see the connection between him and the defence that De Gea had.

Personally I'd be begging Dave to rejoin and swallow whatever pride I had left but we also have to remember it's early days, the club is a mess and even De Gea himself started poorly before reaching legendary status.

Ultimately it's better for United of Onana steps it up.
Did he have a connection? Genuinely, of all the things to highlight about De Gea, him having a good understanding with his defence certainly isn't one of them for me.

RedAlert27

Remember it's early days, remember it's early days, remember it's early days. Please come good Onana. It's starting to look like match fixing at this point jesus

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

It's a bit of both really. He's had a lot of blame for the amount of goals conceded when a lot of them have been caused by terrible defending.
He has also made some basic goalkeeping errors like today though.

JagUTD

Did he have a connection? Genuinely, of all the things to highlight about De Gea, him having a good understanding with his defence certainly isn't one of them for me.
I think so. On a personal level at least but I always felt the defence knew he was there to save their bacon.

Judas

Open to offers
I think so. On a personal level at least but I always felt the defence knew he was there to save their bacon.
Maybe in that regard! I can agree with that. I just felt a never ending nervousness with him and our defence. Not that its exactly improved right now, but it is very early days.

Onana desperately needs a run of clean sheets, but at the moment that only looks possible if we face no shots.

Prodigy24

I couldn't believe my eyes when they scored today. Such a weak shot, and such a pathetic attempt at saving it. Can't even do the most basic stuff for a goalkeeper without looking stiff and awkward. I have zero confidence in him what so ever at the moment and I really hope that he gets a grip soon because it can't continue like this.

JagUTD

Maybe in that regard! I can agree with that. I just felt a never ending nervousness with him and our defence. Not that its exactly improved right now, but it is very early days.

Onana desperately needs a run of clean sheets, but at the moment that only looks possible if we face no shots.
Yeh, it wasn't one of those telepathic type connections where they instinctively knew each others next move but more one built on years of earning trust.

Kingdingaling

Genuinely looks like one of the worst keepers in this league - you couldn’t make it up at this stage.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Third match was the error. He was MOTM in his second match, the 1-1 vs Wimbledon. His fourth match was the 0-5 massacre at Chelsea in which Butt was sent off early, Berg had an own goal, and I think Taibi had an error that led to a goal.

He also wasn't totally frozen out, he was selected in the subs list for few league matches and the ICC match thereafter and SAF wasn't ready to axe him from the club according to Taibi - he had family issues in Italy and elected to return. https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/massimo-taibi-man-utd-ferguson-26209913
Get away with you and your facts

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
In fairness in my brain he had 2 games. One a win over Liverpool and Two that defeat to Southampton

ti vu

We have been fleeced. Ok to be fair, not having the entire first choice back four out is not easy. DDG sucked at the start too
The more DDG getting mentioned for any kind of comparison, the worse it made the current situation with Onana look. DDG came in to replace VdS who became a great player/goalkeeper for us. Big gloves to fill. DDG was very young especially for a GK. Arguably DDG never eliminated his weaknesses from early days. Weak physically, especially during set piece. Passing weak. Not commanding the penalty box...We just masked his weakness, where his superhuman saves still made opposition depressed trying to score past him. Also remember DDG came to a champion team who can afford him time to develop, and he's not expected to fully replace VdS during the early days.

Onana came to replace an over the hill DDG, which some people made it sound like any other goalkeeper with a bit of ball playing skill would already an upgrade. Onana ball playing skill is among the best, yet now we're talking about damage control for a GK who is supposed in his prime. Onana's supposed to elevate the team that at best currently still behind the champions, title challenger. There is hype, but Onana isn't expected to be prime Neuer. Just better than the over the hill DDG, and somehow he's making it feel worse.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Why can’t he save even basic shots now? Not only does De Gea save that today, Onana last season does too.

Confidence is through the floor, but I have to say he seemed a bit tougher than that.

lex talionis

For PR reasons there's zero chance of us bringing De Gea back, but if club management knew in June what the whole world knows now (and many club supporters actually knew in June), we not make the mistake that we made in June.

lysglimt

Scout
oh give me a break - he must be expected save something. He has cost us so many goals this season, it's ridiculous. Has it occured to you that one of the main reasons we are struggling is because of him ? The defenders do NOT trust him - and why should they ?

Lost bear

Why can’t he save even basic shots now? Not only does De Gea save that today, Onana last season does too.

Confidence is through the floor, but I have to say he seemed a bit tougher than that.
The whole team is lacking in confidence, it’s obvious. Nervous, shaky, overthinking and at times terrified. I do think it will pass, but it may well be a gradual thing…unfortunately.
The return of some defenders will undoubtedly help- people who have not experienced shitting themselves on the pitch as often as this lot.