Falcao at Chelsea | Potential flop of the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He should perform better for Chelsea than he did for us simply because Chelsea are currently a better team. But I hope to Jaysus he's still shite, and I think he will be.

Shevchenko. Torres. Falcao?

JUPITER

Oh shit! Just realized, Falcao's joined a team with CL football at last! :eek:

I'm actually glad for him on that front. Hope he, and Chelsea, fail miserably though.

R'hllor

I have a feeling the opening few pages of this thread will come to be read with much face-palming this time next year.

We handled Falcao extremely poorly, I'd bet that he will be a top Premiership striker under Mourinho.
I dont think we did anything to screw Falcao or his form,sadly things did not work out for him with us,his injury,our way of playing,there could be few reasons why was like that. On other hand if he starts firing for them,he might not be finished,nor he is ultra shit etc.,like some experts were stating here.

Eriku

Eck... I'm dreading the thought of him blossoming at Chelsea. Would be a nasty triple whammy.

dinners85

It's an interesting move.

There's no doubt he was one of (if not the hottest) striker around a couple of years ago.

Personally I think he's still got a lot to offer. He killed himself to get to the 2014 World Cup when he wasn't really ready. It wasn't the best prep for a new season and then he didn't get the supply he needed up front at United anyway.

Time will tell if he'll ever get back to the level he was at before his injuries but he seems to have a great worth ethic and comes over as a good guy.

I suspect there's a little bit of Jose's ego wanting to prove he can get a tune out of him and in some ways I hope he does.

It's odd for a player of his calibre to be loaned and loaned again but given the right circumstances and another bit part season under his belt, he could be a great addition for Chelsea.

JUPITER

Eck... I'm dreading the thought of him blossoming at Chelsea. Would be a nasty triple whammy.
He's slow, he's weak on the ball, he's about 30, he's (fairly) short, he's already been found out by most of the defenders in the PL, he can't balance...

I'm not sure what you're envisioning him 'blossoming' into?

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
He should perform better for Chelsea than he did for us simply because Chelsea are currently a better team. But I hope to Jaysus he's still shite, and I think he will be.

Shevchenko. Torres. Falcao?
Is it really fair to compare Falcao to them? Sheva and Torres were supposed to be marquee, superstar strikers for us. Falcao can't possibly turn out like either of them as he won't even be starting.

Better to compare him to the likes of Drogba returning or Eto'o. Unless the insane happens and José is planning to use Falcao and Costa together.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Remy > Falcao
This pretty much.. Remy isn't amazing, but he's a good squad option, has buckets of pace and at this point in time almost definitely offers more then Falcao. I would rather come up against Falcao leading the line then Remy, as on his day his pace can really hurt opposition.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Is it really fair to compare Falcao to them? Sheva and Torres were supposed to be marquee, superstar strikers for us. Falcao can't possibly turn out like either of them as he won't even be starting.

Better to compare him to the likes of Drogba returning or Eto'o. Unless the insane happens and José is planning to use Falcao and Costa together.
Well all three were once world class strikers but appeared to have faded rapidly by the time Chelsea signed them, that's the comparison.

Eriku

He's slow, he's weak on the ball, he's about 30, he's (fairly) short, he's already been found out by most of the defenders in the PL, he can't balance...

I'm not sure what you're envisioning him 'blossoming' into?
How about the goalscorer we've seen at Porto and Athletico Madrid? It's pretty clear we didn't see anything like the best of him at United...

Incidentally, if you were to judge Van Persie by this year at United, you would hardly class him as a player who has a particularly high ceiling.

I'm not saying it's likely that we'll see Falcao on fire, but I'm not ruling it out. He's the kind of striker who'd thrive better where he'd get more goalscoring chances fed to him, something United weren't good at providing for any of our strikers this season past.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Let's face it, he's only replacing Drogba's role in Chelsea's squad - which is similar to the role Falcao ended up doing at United - coming on late on in the game to help close out a 1-0 win. When Costa is injured he will be competing with, and probably behind, Remy or another striker if they decide to replace Remy.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Really hard to accept. Seeing such a nice guy play for Chelsea will be hard to watch. On one hand, I obviously want him to do well but seeing Chelsea get the best out of him or at least back to scoring 15-20 goals will just make his time at United look even worse than what it was.

crimsonife

He'll now be a back-up to Costa, doubt he'll get a lot of minutes there either. He's bound to score against us though.

roseguy64

The last time the caf was this unanimous about a player being surplus to requirements at United was Ashley Young, almost exactly a year ago. Which is, I'll admit, a worry. Still think it was the right decision to let him go, mind you.
Young was never as bad for us as Falcao was. He at least looked like he could play football.

Moriarty

Good luck to him. I liked him when he was here despite everything and when he left, he showed respect to the fans. Hope he does well but not against us.

stepic

I'll explain this again. Chelsea will score goals. If I had a choice between seeing Costa scoring 20 goals or Falcao scoring 20 goals, then I'd choose Falcao because he is an ex United player and I like him. It's really simple.
It's not a choice between one or the other though. If either of them score a goal, it's good for Chelsea and ultimately bad for us. Every game where neither Costa nor Falcao score means a better chance of a Chelsea draw or loss... which is good for United.

It's fine to want ex United players to do well, but not when they play for a direct rival. You think Arsenal fans wanted Van Persie to do well for us when he signed?

AshfordLad

Most apt comparision will be Anelka, only that it was for a few seasons rather than one. If he can play around Costa the way Anelka did around Drogba it will be happy days.

Also, there is no chance of him getting a permanent deal at Chelsea next summer. He would not settle for anything less than what he is paid at Monaco and that is nearly twice of what Costa is on. Not to mention the fact that Chelsea paying that money for a 30 year old is a thing of the distant past.

JUPITER

Most apt comparision will be Anelka, only that it was for a few seasons rather than one. If he can play around Costa the way Anelka did around Drogba it will be happy days.

Also, there is no chance of him getting a permanent deal at Chelsea next summer. He would not settle for anything less than what he is paid at Monaco and that is nearly twice of what Costa is on. Not to mention the fact that Chelsea paying that money for a 30 year old is a thing of the distant past.
Is that right?

So Costa's gonna be their first choice striker on less than their 3rd choice striker...?

Such a weird signing.

AshfordLad

Is that right?

So Costa's gonna be their first choice striker on less than their 3rd choice striker...?

Such a weird signing.
Yeah regardless of the fact what part of his wages Chelsea are paying, he would still be getting that €300k a week. Wonder how that would make Costa or even Hazard feel, who make far less than that.

Winrar

130k pounds per week still seems a lot based on what he offered last year. did poorly against venezuela as well days ago.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
It's funny how the disparaging tone of Chelsea fans has shifted now Falcao plays for them.

He was abysmal for United, so we were 100% right not to sign him. We need a young, mobile striker, not a player who has seen far better days.

I sincerely hope he flops, because the media narrative will be utterly fecking unbearable.

Siorac

The last time the caf was this unanimous about a player being surplus to requirements at United was Ashley Young, almost exactly a year ago. Which is, I'll admit, a worry. Still think it was the right decision to let him go, mind you.
To be fair, we didn't have to pay 40m to keep Ashley Young.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
To be fair, we didn't have to pay 40m to keep Ashley Young.
Hence I think it was the right decision to let Falcao go.

Am definitely a bit uneasy about him going to Chelsea. After all the shit we've gone through in the last couple of years it would be fairly typical if he started banging in a goal a game next season.

Siorac

Hence I think it was the right decision to let Falcao go.

Am definitely a bit uneasy about him going to Chelsea. After all the shit we've gone through in the last couple of years it would be fairly typical if he started banging in a goal a game next season.
He looked so incredibly poor for us that it's hard to imagine. You never know, of course, anything is possible and all that but the bloke could barely stand upright. At times he looked like a Sunday League player with a bad hangover. The type who tries to sweat the alcohol out of his system.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He looked so incredibly poor for us that it's hard to imagine. You never know, of course, anything is possible and all that but the bloke could barely stand upright. At times he looked like a Sunday League player with a bad hangover. The type who tries to sweat the alcohol out of his system.
Yeah, the constant falling over was hard to take. Like you say, very Sunday league. So long as he's playing for Chelsea I want to see more of the same!

khoazany

Imagine believe Falcao will somehow find back his old self.

Feel free to ban me if he scores more than 15 goals next season for Chelsea first team.

I never really counted him as an United player so couldn't care less if he does score against us.

AKDevil

Must admit. I know there is a lot of fear about him going to Chelsea and causing havoc but I just can't see it.
He looked like he'd never played football at times last season.
I'm convinced if they didn't share the same agent this deal wouldn't be happening.
Last year was the ideal chance for all other PL managers to see how he was post-injury...and why would anyone sign him based on that?

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
No matter how many sources and outlets report that he's taking a massive pay cut, I was mad to suggest it yesterday.

Like I said, would make no sense for us to pay him loads and loads more than any of our other players. Similarly to what José said when we decided against Luke Shaw, it would be bad for the dressing room if he just came in and earned that much money without really proving anything and it could cause issues with other players.

Acole9

Outstanding
I find it bizarre that Chelsea have signed him, did they not watch him last season? I can't begrudge him moving there though, he wants to stay in the Premier League, we didn't take up the option to buy him, fair enough.

Robbie Boy

I sure hope that not signing him and seeing him sign for Chelsea doesn't equate to "selling our soul" or some such lark.

Status
Not open for further replies.