Falcao at Chelsea | Potential flop of the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravi2

I find it bizarre that Chelsea have signed him, did they not watch him last season? I can't begrudge him moving there though, he wants to stay in the Premier League, we didn't take up the option to buy him, fair enough.

That's the thing, its like they have not seen him play at all last season, he appears to be completely past it at the top level...his first touch is terrible and he doesn't seem to have the acceleration to get past a player.

Timdbro

If he's accepted he's going to be a backup to Diego Costa (which he must have), and he's agreed to take a pay cut (which is being rumoured but isn't certain), it's a very different move for Chelsea than it was for us, in terms of risk - it will probably cost them less and there will be less pressure on the manager to play him whenever he's available.

In terms of potential reward, it's less clear, but chances are that after a year in the league and playing for a better team, he'll produce more than he did with us.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Hmm theres a correlation here.

When he signed for United everyone was wanking and the first 20 pages of the Falcao thread contained legendary material and I was sounding words of warning... I turned out to be right.

Now hes signed for us and everyones making fun of it and laughing it off... Im tempted to go again and see what happens come May.

I wont though because I genuinely believe hes shite.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Hmm theres a correlation here.

When he signed for United everyone was wanking and the first 20 pages of the Falcao thread contained legendary material and I was sounding words of warning... I turned out to be right.

Now hes signed for us and everyones making fun of it and laughing it off... Im tempted to go again and see what happens come May.

I wont though because I genuinely believe hes shite.
:lol:

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
I feel its one of those moves to ensure clubs rarely win the EPL twice in a row.

Winrar

looked anonymous yet again against brazil despite his team's win... I don't see where the sudden revival is going to come from.

ricky-romeo

I find it bizarre that Chelsea have signed him, did they not watch him last season? I can't begrudge him moving there though, he wants to stay in the Premier League, we didn't take up the option to buy him, fair enough.
i guess it is because it is only a loan deal, jose would have never signed falcao permanently after his last season's performances. it is just like a cheap gamble, i know he is going to cost chelsea a few million pounds in wages but it will not hurt roman at all.

and he is likely going to replace drogba's place on the bench, where he is going to get a few minutes here and there.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
This signing is probably more about Mourinho helping out his pal Mendes than anything football related. I just can't see how Chelsea could find a footballing use to this Falcao.

Eila

Monaco are the big losers here, loaning their 60 million euro player for two seasons.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Monaco are the big losers here, loaning their 60 million euro player for two seasons.
They don't have to pay the wages of a player that looks rubbish. Last season was a big win for them.

Eila

They don't have to pay the wages of a player that looks rubbish. Last season was a big win for them.
They could have used him themselves, as Berbatov was not doing that well. Or better yet, convince him to leave wherever as a permanent deal.

NK86

They could have used him themselves, as Berbatov was not doing that well. Or better yet, convince him to leave wherever as a permanent deal.
He wants to leave. Monaco want to offload him. The stumbling block is the price they are looking for him and his wages. The loan in stead of a permanent deal was not due to a lack of trying from Monaco.

ZDwyr

Didn't think this would actually end up happening. Not worried at all though. He will never be the player he once was.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
If it happens it'll be intriguing to watch at least. Having Costa there makes me really not worry about it in all honesty, if Falcao comes good then great, but if not we'll have two other good strikers in place.

ForlansHair

He can't run, jump or control a football. The poor bloke could barely stand on his 2 own legs for half a game. He's completely finished. If Costa gets injured for any length of time, which is quite likely, there is no chance Chelsea will win the league with him up front for a sustained length of time.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
No they couldn't really have because they played mainly a defensive and relied on Berbatov to be their pivot and hold the ball up. Falcao would have been absolutely horrible at this role, come to think of it, he would have been horrible period.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I am interested to see what happens with Costa now that this deal is done. There were rumours of Costa wanting out, although I dont really believe them, but Mourinho only ever tends to play with one striker, so someone is going to be spending time on the bench. Cant imagine Costa being happy with that after last season, and cant imagine Falcao being prepared to spend another year not being first choice.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I am interested to see what happens with Costa now that this deal is done. There were rumours of Costa wanting out, although I dont really believe them, but Mourinho only ever tends to play with one striker, so someone is going to be spending time on the bench. Cant imagine Costa being happy with that after last season, and cant imagine Falcao being prepared to spend another year not being first choice.
Can't imagine Costa on the bench if fit. Falcao would be second choice at best.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Can't imagine Costa on the bench if fit. Falcao would be second choice at best.
That is what I would assume as well. With that in mind it feels like a slightly odd move for Falcao - you would expect him to want to go somewhere to be first choice so he can try to regain his previous form.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
I can't remember who Mourinho favoured last season when Costa was injured but I think it was Drogba generally. If that's the case then Falcao comes in for his spot and there's no change for Remy. He (Remy) might be annoyed though because he thought with Drogba off he'd have a more prominent role this season.

Shark

@NotShark
That is what I would assume as well. With that in mind it feels like a slightly odd move for Falcao - you would expect him to want to go somewhere to be first choice so he can try to regain his previous form.
He loves the money too much.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I can't remember who Mourinho favoured last season when Costa was injured but I think it was Drogba generally. If that's the case then Falcao comes in for his spot and there's no change for Remy. He (Remy) might be annoyed though because he thought with Drogba off he'd have a more prominent role this season.
Aren't there rumours of Rémy wanting out?

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
Aren't there rumours of Rémy wanting out?
Yeah I've seen some about. He's had a weird last few seasons going from Marseille to QPR then on loan at Newcastle and now on the bench for Chelsea. I would have thought he'd have been fine being a back up for Costa but Falcao arriving might change things.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Around £170,000 a week according to the Guardian.
£130,000 seems more likely. Costa is on £150,000 and you can't see the club risking upsetting their main guy like that over what amounts to a gamble.

Hellboy

I completely lost faith in the lad during an FA Cup game against some non league no marks last season. He's finished.

Zoo

£130,000 seems more likely. Costa is on £150,000 and you can't see the club risking upsetting their main guy like that over what amounts to a gamble.
Chelsea tripled Costa's wages when they signed him, he wouldn't have cause to complain after just one year. They don't want to upset Hazard who is top earner on 200k a week.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
If we have prolonged cup runs vs league two opposition I can see him bagging a few assists.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea tripled Costa's wages when they signed him, he wouldn't have cause to complain after just one year. They don't want to upset Hazard who is top earner on 200k a week.
Wouldn't have cause to complain if we brought in a second striker on more money? I think anyone would be pissed off.

Zoo

Wouldn't have cause to complain if we brought in a second striker on more money? I think anyone would be pissed off.
Not really after one year. Anyway Mendes is agent to both, I'm sure he'd smooth things over if necessary. 265 to 170k a week is still a significant wage cut, I don't see why the Guardian would make the figure up.

AshfordLad

Yeah, No way will Chelsea pay that much money for a back up these days. 120k-130k is probably as high as it will go. Costa and Hazard could/should still be pissed since Falcao will still be getting the rest of his salary from Monaco. I am sure, he wouldnt take a cut till he has that contract, no one ever does.

Brightonian

You just know that he's going to go there on loan, in basically the same circumstances that he came to us on loan... and absolutely smash it. It's inevitable.

Nogbadthebad

You just know that he's going to go there on loan, in basically the same circumstances that he came to us on loan... and absolutely smash it. It's inevitable.
Have you watched him playing in the national team? I kind of had a thought of the same scenario as you, then I saw him play the last two games. he's getting worse, not better. I think he's just done at the very top level, which is a real shame because he was truly fantastic for a while.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
I don't think he'll excel at that level again. He was rotten again last night, lost all his sharpness, lost all his confidence.

But the key thing is it doesn't just look like an issue on confidence, it looks like he's lost more than that.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
No matter how many sources and outlets report that he's taking a massive pay cut, I was mad to suggest it yesterday.

Like I said, would make no sense for us to pay him loads and loads more than any of our other players. Similarly to what José said when we decided against Luke Shaw, it would be bad for the dressing room if he just came in and earned that much money without really proving anything and it could cause issues with other players.
I was thinking exactly the same thing. What has Falcao done to warrant being paid 130k a week? This entire deal stinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.