FAO Tottenham Hotspur | Fighting Cock Goes Into Meltdown | Glast...gone

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Since the start of November, Spurs have gained 37 points.

Since the start of November, Everton have gained 38 points. During this time, Everton didn't win from 23rd December 2023 to 6th April 2024.

:nervous:

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It’s not even just the ones I know. I put the radio on, and there were an endless stream of spurs fans ringing in, exclaiming how happy they were. I’m surprised that you’ve not encountered any spurs fans that are genuinely buzzing with what happened last night.
Well I don't listen to Talksport because its callers are almost inevitably troglodytes, bantering on whatever the media is telling them to and with generally shite takes on almost every situation. I feel like I lose brain cells every time I catch even a few seconds of that shite.

Even if those idiots were buzzing, it still isn't what you said, unless you also tuned into the radio after those occasions I mentioned for instance.

CallyRed

Since the start of November, Everton have gained 38 points. During this time, Everton didn't win from 23rd December 2023 to 6th April 2024.

Could have been champions league for you eh with out the points deductions

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
Ange can feck right off. I'd behave exactly the same as these Spurs fans. If you really need it explained to you, you just don't get it, mate.
Damn right. Imagine a manager being annoyed that his own fans want his team to lose. Feck off Ange indeed.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Ridiculous shite aside about fan behaviour, throwing the game or banter about 'bottling' (from fans of a club who have given City all 6 points this season no less and spent the last few years actively cheering them on against another rival), this is actually the fundamental point for me.

Our performances for the first half of the season were good, as were the results mostly. The Chelsea game was a marker and we melted down afterwards.

Performances in the second half have actually, generally I think, been quite poor and we've gone on some truly awful runs. Not least of which is now, where we've picked up 1 in and 5 losses from the past 6 games, including going 3-0 down to Arsenal, at home, in 45 minutes. The GK and defenders are individually very good players and yet only 7 clubs have conceded more than us so far this season (3 of them being the relegated teams).

This season was always going to be a bit funny and perhaps Ange was a bit of a victim of his own success in the initial period. He should of course be given time to implement what he wants to. But he's still got a lot to prove imo next season.

Posh Red

Are you saying Utd fans would be happy to miss out on Champions League football next season if it stopped Liverpool winning the league? No chance.

Singing in celebration and doing the Poznan after City scored their 1st goal - https://x.com/Alexiir2/status/1790478854579990963

Celebrating Halaand scoring his 2nd goal - https://x.com/jimmy_chilides/status/1790489633760989368

Explains a lot about the club mentality when you have a fanbase like that. Imagine you're a Tottenham player trying to fight to get a spot in one of the most elite competitions in the world but you see your fans celebrate a goal against you because it stops some team down the road from you from winning.
It’s absurd. I’ve never seen anything like it.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
And you're still playing for something
Saw a Spurs fan elsewhere saying they'd "need a miracle to qualify for the CL" even if they'd beaten City, as if a win wouldn't have put them within two points of Villa, with their last game being against Sheffield United, while Villa, winless in their last five matches, are away to an in form Crystal Palace.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Saw a Spurs fan elsewhere saying they'd "need a miracle to qualify for the CL" even if they'd beaten City, as if a win wouldn't have put them within two points of Villa, with their last game being against Sheffield United, while Villa, winless in their last five matches, are away to an in form Crystal Palace.
I mean that's one way of putting it.

You could also say that they're winless in their last 5 but with 2 draws.....or much more importantly, 2 wins and 2 draws (against Liverpool and Chelsea) in their last 5 league games and needing only a draw to guarantee qualification?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I mean that's one way of putting it.

You could also say that they're winless in their last 5 but with 2 draws.....or much more importantly, 2 wins and 2 draws (against Liverpool and Chelsea) in their last 5 league games and needing only a draw to guarantee qualification?
It'd have been in Villa's hands, but them losing away to Palace while Spurs beat Sheffield United is very much in the realm of "perfectly reasonable results" and not "miracle" territory.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It'd have been in Villa's hands, but them losing away to Palace while Spurs beat Sheffield United is very much in the realm of "perfectly reasonable results" and not "miracle" territory.
Yeah that's fine, it wouldn't have been a miracle but let's also not pretend that the ECL results really matter in this case, where Villa have been chugging along pretty well in the league, even with a slight downturn in form, and needing only a draw.

Also not quite sure what all the upset is about, considering that unlike Man Utd, we actually took points off City this season? If Man Utd had done the same, it would have still been in Arsenal's hands on the final day?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
This is what happens when your main rival is challenging for the title against a team that nobody really cares about. You cheer on the team that nobody really cares about. We have been okay to lose to City in seasons Liverpool have been challenging. I don't see a problem with Spurs fans doing the same. Ange is a colourful guy, but he'd do well not to pick a fight with the fanbase. He's had a decent season.

Ludens the Red

Interesting. I can't say I know a single Spurs fan that likes City, wears a City shirt or was actively happy about yesterday, let alone happier than at any point over the past 20 years.

Clearly the Peterborough Spurs fans are built differently.
I know a fair few spurs fans being from North London. In a few chat groups with some and there was definitely a level of giddy ness that was really weird. One was posting photos of a blue moon and another one was like “get in city”. The latter comment coming in a group that didn’t even include any Arsenal fans. It’s obviously not all Spurs fans but a sufficient amount for it to be quite cringe.

Steve Bruce

This is what happens when your main rival is challenging for the title against a team that nobody really cares about. You cheer on the team that nobody really cares about. We have been okay to lose to City in seasons Liverpool have been challenging. I don't see a problem with Spurs fans doing the same. Ange is a colourful guy, but he'd do well not to pick a fight with the fanbase. He's had a decent season.
It's fine them not wanting arsenal to win the league but it's a whole other thing to actively want your team to lose, go to the game and cheer when your team concedes.

It's really a sad state of affairs.

I wanted united to beat Arsenal, after the game the silver lining was they could still beat city for the title.

Nori-

Honestly haven't laughed that much at a football match in years.

The Arsenal fans saying North London is united before the match , the spurs fans celebrating going 1-0 down, Sons huge miss in the 86th min, then Arsenal fans calling Spurs losers and North London is red after the game :lol:

Love it.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It's fine them not wanting arsenal to win the league but it's a whole other thing to actively want your team to lose, go to the game and cheer when your team concedes.

It's really a sad state of affairs.

I wanted united to beat Arsenal, after the game the silver lining was they could still beat city for the title.
Its slightly different to be fair because City have become almost a second team to lots of fans on here recently it seems, to stop the other Red team.

There's never going to be an equivalent situation with Arsenal.

Anyone actively celebrating at the match itself though is a fecking knob, no doubt.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I know a fair few spurs fans being from North London. In a few chat groups with some and there was definitely a level of giddy ness that was really weird. One was posting photos of a blue moon and another one was like “get in city”. The latter comment coming in a group that didn’t even include any Arsenal fans. It’s obviously not all Spurs fans but a sufficient amount for it to be quite cringe.
Fair enough. Like I said, I honestly don't know any Spurs fans like this, though not doubting that they exist. Part of it is undoubtedly to wind up Arsenal fans, who themselves were readying the ammunition of how we helped them win the league, which they undoubtedly would have been going on about for decades, just as they still do about winning the league at WHL 20 years later.

For me, I was in the strange situation of not being bothered that much either way. During a match itself, I can never really bring myself to actually ever root against us. But I know that I wouldn't be upset at either a win or a loss after the whistle had gone, which I don't recall ever feeling to be honest.

Personally I've never been able to understand paying to go to a match and doing anything other than enthusiastically supporting your team so anyone who actively celebrated in the stadium yesterday is a knob.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
They've really outdone themselves with how small time they are :lol:

United at the weekend, despite having nothing much to play for, still pushed us all the way and their fans were disappointed at losing the game. Yet Spurs are celebrating losing out on top 4 as long as it stops us winning the league.

Would be incredibly Spursy if City drop points at the weekend and them missing out on champions league was for nothing.
Also did I get a concussion or am I mistaken in remembering Arsenal fans saying they'd be happy to lose the EL final (against Chelsea no less) if Spurs lost the CL final. Ie a chance for an actual trophy, as opposed to a theoretical chance of the 'top 4 trophy'?

Would you say that situation is more or less 'spursy' than spending almost the entire season top and still not winning the league?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Yeah that's fine, it wouldn't have been a miracle but let's also not pretend that the ECL results really matter in this case, where Villa have been chugging along pretty well in the league, even with a slight downturn in form, and needing only a draw.

Also not quite sure what all the upset is about, considering that unlike Man Utd, we actually took points off City this season? If Man Utd had done the same, it would have still been in Arsenal's hands on the final day?
Well, it's not like we didn't want to win.

Also, we beat City home and away the year Liverpool won the title (not that it made much of a difference to the title 'race').

It's also not really "upset" at what happened. It's just a bit bizarre how a noticeable number of Spurs fans were actively celebrating surrendering CL football. There's an element of "cope" about the "Villa are good value for the spot" line.

erikcred

Also did I get a concussion or am I mistaken in remembering Arsenal fans saying they'd be happy to lose the EL final (against Chelsea no less) if Spurs lost the CL final. Ie a chance for an actual trophy, as opposed to a theoretical chance of the 'top 4 trophy'?

Would you say that situation is more or less 'spursy' than spending almost the entire season top and still not winning the league?
Ouch! :lol:

E-mal

Its slightly different to be fair because City have become almost a second team to lots of fans on here recently it seems, to stop the other Red team.

There's never going to be an equivalent situation with Arsenal.

Anyone actively celebrating at the match itself though is a fecking knob, no doubt.
That is the point. It is okay to not care about Arsenal but to celebrate your team losing? that is small time

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I reckon the Spurs players were moaning about the lack of noise when they attacked in the dressing room afterwards so that's why he said what he did in the press conference.

That game in March and they'd have been a wall of noise when Spurs were getting corners at 1-0 down or decent spells of possession. Instead it was pretty much silence/indifference.

The most audible chants of the night from home end was "Stand up if you hate Arsenal." Amusing at the start but it was still being sung midway through the second half.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Call me old fashioned but if I can't be happy, I want my rivals to be fecking miserable. That's the essence of investing emotionally into a sports team anyways

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Would be beyond hilarious it West Ham somehow overturned City. All there cheering and celebrating for nothing. Would be quite a Spursy thing to happen
Losing to the likely 4 time in a row champions would be a spursy thing to happen?

What does that even mean? :lol:

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Well, it's not like we didn't want to win.

Also, we beat City home and away the year Liverpool won the title (not that it made much of a difference to the title 'race').

It's also not really "upset" at what happened. It's just a bit bizarre how a noticeable number of Spurs fans were actively celebrating surrendering CL football. There's an element of "cope" about the "Villa are good value for the spot" line.
Right but as is usually the case in football, the fans actually played little part in the outcome and Man City won regardless, against two upper midtable teams. I'm sure the players also wanted to win. We've picked up less points than Everton since November. Not exactly front page news.

Right but you lost to them home and away in this season, where they're likely going to win the title by 2 points. Man Utd had the same number of games to influence the outcome of the title as we did.

I'm not sure what the last line means. Saying that Villa deserved the spot over the season is coping?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Right but as is usually the case in football, the fans actually played little part in the outcome and Man City won regardless, against two upper midtable teams. I'm sure the players also wanted to win. We've picked up less points than Everton since November. Not exactly front page news.

Right but you lost to them home and away in this season, where they're likely going to win the title by 2 points. Man Utd had the same number of games to influence the outcome of the title as we did.

I'm not sure what the last line means. Saying that Villa deserved the spot over the season is coping?
I get what you're saying about United, but only one set of fans has actively cheered City scoring against them when their rivals were challenging them for the title, and it wasn't United's. United's fans also weren't celebrating missing out on CL football because it meant Liverpool didn't win the league. This discussion isn't about the actual result. It's about the bizarre celebration of it by Spurs fans. It's one thing to see the silver-lining of defeat; it's another entirely to be bouncing in the stands at conceding goals that cost your team a place in the Champions League.

You said "let's also not pretend that the ECL results really matter in this case, where Villa have been chugging along pretty well in the league" which came across very much as "ah well, Villa have been good" and also very much as a coping mechanism for what is ultimately a disappointing end to your season. You were unbeaten at the top of the league after 10 games. Obviously this wasn't going to last, but even after 20 games when you'd slipped out of the top four, you were 10 points clear of Newcastle and 11 clear of Chelsea, a gap that was extended to 13 and 14 points respectively after 30 games. After losing against City (which your fans were celebrating), not only have you officially missed out on CL football, but you're now in a position where both of these teams can actually overtake you.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I get what you're saying about United, but only one set of fans has actively cheered City scoring against them when their rivals were challenging them for the title, and it wasn't United's. United's fans also weren't celebrating missing out on CL football because it meant Liverpool didn't win the league. This discussion isn't about the actual result. It's about the bizarre celebration of it by Spurs fans. It's one thing to see the silver-lining of defeat; it's another entirely to be bouncing in the stands at conceding goals that cost your team a place in the Champions League.

You said "let's also not pretend that the ECL results really matter in this case, where Villa have been chugging along pretty well in the league" which came across very much as "ah well, Villa have been good" and also very much as a coping mechanism for what is ultimately a disappointing end to your season. You were unbeaten at the top of the league after 10 games. Obviously this wasn't going to last, but even after 20 games when you'd slipped out of the top four, you were 10 points clear of Newcastle and 11 clear of Chelsea, a gap that was extended to 13 and 14 points respectively after 30 games. After losing against City (which your fans were celebrating), not only have you officially missed out on CL football, but you're now in a position where both of these teams can actually overtake you.
Really? This forum has become almost a secondary Man City forum over the past 3-4 years, with scores of fans desperate to see City win at all costs to avoid Liverpool winning anything. I don't recall Man Utd being in this exact situation in the first place.

Again, I'm not going to defend any buffoon who does anything other than support their team in a stadium.

Not really? You twisted the form, to include 2 ECL results, when I'm talking about league results only. I don't need a coping mechanism because football isn't some do or die for me, there are far more important things in life and even on here, my posting is now almost exclusively in the CE forum, which I think is generally very high quality. The 2nd half/ latter 2/3 of the season has been poor from the team and Ange, I've even said that in this thread or the Ange thread so I don't need a reason to deflect from that, I already think that.

Again, we've picked up less points than Everton since November. Now you can blame Levy, Ange, the players, the fans, the tea lady, whoever you want. For me that isn't good enough and in that context, yes Villa have deserved it, especially as they've also gone on a deep European run.

Supports
Chelsea
The overreaction has been pretty hilarious to be fair. When Spurs were attacking there was the usual audible encouragement from the fans and moans after missed chances/wasted attacks. Reading online would have you think they were joining hands singing blue moon the entire match.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Really? This forum has become almost a secondary Man City forum over the past 3-4 years, with scores of fans desperate to see City win at all costs to avoid Liverpool winning anything. I don't recall Man Utd being in this exact situation in the first place.

Again, I'm not going to defend any buffoon who does anything other than support their team in a stadium.

Not really? You twisted the form, to include 2 ECL results, when I'm talking about league results only. I don't need a coping mechanism because football isn't some do or die for me, there are far more important things in life and even on here, my posting is now almost exclusively in the CE forum, which I think is generally very high quality. The 2nd half/ latter 2/3 of the season has been poor from the team and Ange, I've even said that in this thread or the Ange thread so I don't need a reason to deflect from that, I already think that.

Again, we've picked up less points than Everton since November. Now you can blame Levy, Ange, the players, the fans, the tea lady, whoever you want. For me that isn't good enough and in that context, yes Villa have deserved it, especially as they've also gone on a deep European run.
United haven't been in this exact situation, but I don't think many would have been celebrating us not qualifying for the CL because it meant Liverpool couldn't win the league.

I didn't twist anything. I just looked at their most recent five results and saw they hadn't won. They've also only won three of their last 10 league games. It's hardly been a stellar run-in.

Maybe I misinterpreted your post, but as I said when you initially quoted me, there are Spurs fans making out it'd have taken some sort of miracle for you to overtake Villa even with a win against City, which simply isn't true, and makes the active celebration of City's goals even more baffling. Ultimately, you're saying one thing in regards to the "buffoons" not supporting the team in the stadium, but then coming across as quite defensive when it's pointed out how small-time and weird the behaviour of those same "buffoons" was. Similarly, you're saying you don't need to deflect from the disappointing end to your season, but at full-time last night and all of this morning, basically all you've done is deflect and bring up how fans of other clubs have responded to different situations involving their rivals, which is very much deflecting.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He has standards and cares more about his own team getting a CL place than whatever Arsenal are doing.

That's the type of manager you want.
Of course he's the manager. Surely he has to understand where the fans are coming from though. It's mad the continues to pretend that he has no idea why Spurs fans might prefer losing last night.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Pretty sure Chelsea and Newcastle have made up like almost 10 points on them in the last few weeks.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Pretty sure Chelsea and Newcastle have made up like almost 10 points on them in the last few weeks.
Yep.

At matchweek 32;

Chelsea played 30 games and were on 44 points. Now on 57.
Newcastle played 31 games and on 47 points. Now on 57.
Tottenham played 31 games and on 60 points. Now on 63.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
30 games in, Spurs were 13 clear of Newcastle and 14 clear of Chelsea. If Newcastle and Chelsea win their remaining games and Spurs lose to Sheffield United, Spurs will finish 7th, behind them.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
30 games in, Spurs were 13 clear of Newcastle and 14 clear of Chelsea. If Newcastle and Chelsea win their remaining games and Spurs lose to Sheffield United, Spurs will finish 7th, behind them.
Unfortunately Sheffield United are really really bad.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
United haven't been in this exact situation, but I don't think many would have been celebrating us not qualifying for the CL because it meant Liverpool couldn't win the league.

I didn't twist anything. I just looked at their most recent five results and saw they hadn't won. They've also only won three of their last 10 league games. It's hardly been a stellar run-in.

Maybe I misinterpreted your post, but as I said when you initially quoted me, there are Spurs fans making out it'd have taken some sort of miracle for you to overtake Villa even with a win against City, which simply isn't true, and makes the active celebration of City's goals even more baffling. Ultimately, you're saying one thing in regards to the "buffoons" not supporting the team in the stadium, but then coming across as quite defensive when it's pointed out how small-time and weird the behaviour of those same "buffoons" was. Similarly, you're saying you don't need to deflect from the disappointing end to your season, but at full-time last night and all of this morning, basically all you've done is deflect and bring up how fans of other clubs have responded to different situations involving their rivals, which is very much deflecting.
I'm just not sure how their results against Olympiakos really matter in the context of the league? They've lost just once in the last 5 games in the league. They've gotten 4 results in the last 5 league games that would have guaranteed them CL regardless of what we did. Or 7 in the last 10. Our run in has been even more shit. Hence why we've fallen further and further behind.

You're likely misrepresenting because you cant believe someone would actually be sincere in a discussion on the internet. I genuinely and truly believe Villa deserve the CL spot. They have been better than us over the season, especially taking into account their deep European run. Obviously I would have preferred us to be in their position instead but if we can't be, Villa are up there in terms of clubs I don't mind doing so. Not everything needs an ulterior motive.

How am I deflecting? I am answering specific points people have made about the celebrations or what Spurs fans have said with points about how other fans have reacted in the circumstances?

When I've been talking about the actual performance or the actual season performances, both yesterday and today, Ive said multiple times that our performances from November onwards have been mostly poor, as have the results and that Ange will be under pressure if he continues in the same way next season? Its also not being said that those buffoons are small time, its being used as part of the normal gamut of 'banterous' points about how small time the club and its fans are, when the fans of Man Utd have been cheering on their supposed City rivals almost nonstop over the past 4 years?

All of the following can be true:

-During the game I wanted us to win but I ultimately knew I would not be unhappy with either outcome
-Lots of fans, in similar situations, would likely feel the same. Especially when that sworn rival hasn't won a big trophy for 2 decades, when they still remind you of the time they won it at your stadium 2 decades ago
-The players and manager played as normal, actually played a reasonable game but were beaten by the better team
-Ange and the team have, whisper this, actually been quite shit since November/ December. Like really shit. Losing 4 in a row. Some awful performances. Winning one away game in 2024. Conceding shitloads despite having good defenders. That isn't a fans issue.
-Any fan who boos or does anything other than support the team while physically in the stadium, is a tool.
-Some idiotic fans does not make an entire fanbase or club smalltime, unless Man Utd and Arsenal have also become smalltime.