FC Bayern 17/18 discussion

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Is James allowed to play against Real Madrid during these two years? No, right?
Surely he will be. This rule wich doesn't allow loaned players to play against their club is basically Premier League exclusive.

OutlawGER

Supports
Tolisso, James, Rudy and Süle sounds like a good summer for the money they have spent.

Any more targets?
Maybe Alexis Sanchez or (very unlikely) Marco Verratti. They only pay 10 million for James this year, so there should still be money for a big signing.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Great deal for Bayern, but I fail to see what Real get out of long term.

Yet another masterstroke from Anchelotti this summer.

OutlawGER

Supports
So that's 10 Million for 2 year loan and then option to buy for 35 Million rather than obligation to buy. Excellent deal for Bayern.
Madrid beeing robbed if true tbh. 10m for 2 years James while beeing in his best age. If he plays well, they can keep a worldclass player for another 35m (€). If not, they only lost 10m for 2 years which is nothing.

A transfer with 0 risk and a lot to gain.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Madrid beeing robbed if true tbh. 10m for 2 years James while beeing in his best age. If he plays well, they can keep a worldclass player for another 35m (€). If not, they only lost 10m for 2 years which is nothing.
Well clubs outside the prem seem to have agreed not to pay stupid money. If you look at the transfers between Bayern-Real-Barca-Juventus, none of them in the last 10 years was for outrageous money. I guess it's their own way to feck with the Premier League and the Arabs.

Jaybomb

Absolutely gutted about this one.

I really wanted him at United.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
I really like how Bayern don't feck about in the transfer market, they were clearly interested in Sanchez but told him to do one when he asked extortionate wages. Instead they have signed a top class AM on a staggeringly good deal, really impressive.

Also, I can't help but feel we would've been quoted £80m if we were interested in James ourselves.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Well clubs outside the prem seem to have agreed not to pay stupid money. If you look at the transfers between Bayern-Real-Barca-Juventus, none of them in the last 10 years was for outrageous money. I guess it's their own way to feck with the Premier League and the Arabs.
I really like how Bayern don't feck about in the transfer market, they were clearly interested in Sanchez but told him to do one when he asked extortionate wages. Instead they have signed a top class AM on a staggeringly good deal, really impressive.

Also, I can't help but feel we would've been quoted £80m if we were interested in James ourselves.
Yup, pretty sure actually.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
What does this mean for Müller? No gametime at all? I'm yet to grasp what sense this signing makes.

Redondo_Pirri

Supports
Real Madrid
Spanish press is saying €10m loan fee for 2 years + 100% of the €16.2m wages + €40m purchase option at the end of the two years

HTG

Supports
Bayern
What does this mean for Müller? No gametime at all? I'm yet to grasp what sense this signing makes.
Müller should heavily profit from James. It's Ribery and Coman who should lose gametime I think.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
another season over by Christmas in the bore that is the bundes... (almost as exciting as Scotland)

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Again I reckon that 4-3-1-2 will be the way to go.

Neuer
Kimmich - Boateng - Hummels - Alaba
Tolisso - Thiago - Vidal
James
Lewandowski - Muller

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
You mean transfers between those clubs or transfers done by those clubs?

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Yeah, it's hard to say.

Complete guess, but perhaps Ancelotti plans to install the 4-4-3/4-4-2 hybrid formation he used at Real Madrid? Müller could replicate the left-sided second striker role of Ronaldo, covered by James as a LCM/LW. Not that Müller would score like the Portuguese, but he might get free licence to wreak havoc between the opponent's lines in his own special way. Just a thought.

Or Ancelotti continues to give significant gametime with Ribery/Robben on the flanks and Müller struggles.

roonster09

Scout
Between them. Examples: Kroos, Robben, Khedira, Benatia, D. Costa, Mandzukic, van Bommel, Thiago etc.
Looks like these clubs tried to offload these players.

Kroos - Last year contract
Robben - Unwanted at Madrid and this was when Madrid sold cheap, like Sneijder for 15 Million
Khedira - Free transfer
Benatia - Flopped badly at Bayern, Juventus took the punt as he was Serie A proven.
Douglas Costa - Bayern wants to offload him
Mandzukic - Offloaded to Atletico Madrid and again he was back up when Lewandowski was signed.
Thiago - because of the clause he was sold cheap.

It's not like any key player who had many years left on the contract were sold for cheap. If the club is actively trying to sell or player is flopped then fee would be obviously lower. It's not like there is some pact against PL clubs. It's just business.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Doesn't Branchini negotiate many of our deals?
I think Reschke has a very close professional connection to Real. Carvajal to Leverkusen and back, etc.
Again I reckon that 4-3-1-2 will be the way to go.

Neuer
Tolisso - Thiago - Vidal
James
Lewandowski - Muller
No Robben, no party.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Looks like these clubs tried to offload these players.

Kroos - Last year contract
Robben - Unwanted at Madrid and this was when Madrid sold cheap, like Sneijder for 15 Million
Khedira - Free transfer
Benatia - Flopped badly at Bayern, Juventus took the punt as he was Serie A proven.
Douglas Costa - Bayern wants to offload him
Mandzukic - Offloaded to Atletico Madrid and again he was back up when Lewandowski was signed.
Thiago - because of the clause he was sold cheap.

It's not like any key player who had many years left on the contract were sold for cheap. If the club is actively trying to sell or player is flopped then fee would be obviously lower. It's not like there is some pact against PL clubs. It's just business.
Do you really think United would have gotten those players for those prices? Of course they were offloaded, but the way they were is key here.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Yeah, it's hard to say.

Complete guess, but perhaps Ancelotti plans to install the 4-4-3/4-4-2 hybrid formation he used at Real Madrid? Müller could replicate the left-sided second striker role of Ronaldo, covered by James as a LCM/LW. Not that Müller would score like the Portuguese, but he might get free licence to wreak havoc between the opponent's lines in his own special way. Just a thought.

Or Ancelotti continues to give significant gametime with Ribery/Robben on the flanks and Müller struggles.
So James would come in for Ribéry in that scenario, with a 2 man midfield and Müller behind the striker? Has James played on the left under Ancelotti at Real? He played in place of Bale on the right when the latter was injured, no?

Your post makes sense but I don't know whether it is realistic.

Müller should heavily profit from James. It's Ribery and Coman who should lose gametime I think.
Can you elaborate how?

roonster09

Scout
Do you really think United would have gotten those players for those prices? Of course they were offloaded, but the way they were is key here.
Any club would have signed Thiago for the same price, it's just that Thiago opted to sign for Bayern.
Any club would have signed Khedira on free transfer, no one would be overpaying as his contract was up.

Like I said, it's not like Clubs sold key players among them, just back ups or someone they wanted to offload. Any club would have paid record fee for Pogba, Juventus wouldn't have given discount for Bayern or Madrid, likewise any club will pay big money for Morata, player Madrid took back from Juventus once he developed into good player.

Madrid sold Ozil for 40 Million, Barca sold Sanchez for 30 plus Million which is amazing price for the player of their quality.

NoPace

Dortmund have done great business and have hopefully solved their coach shenanigans. Their team will just get better and better.
If they've lost Reus and Aubayemang it's going to be tough for them to improve. Weigl and Guerrero are also injured, right? Seems unlikely anyone will get to within 10-15 of Bayern this year. Shame, I'd watch more Bundesliga if it was more competitive. The football is good.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
If they've lost Reus and Aubayemang it's going to be tough for them to improve. Weigl and Guerrero are also injured, right? Seems unlikely anyone will get to within 10-15 of Bayern this year. Shame, I'd watch more Bundesliga if it was more competitive. The football is good.
Reus was always injured, Geureirro und Weigl will be back in a couple of weeks. Unless they drop points early, this will be much closer.

RMD83

So James goes on loan for 2 years! Great business from Bayerns perspective but surely not for Madrid. Although they free up a wage it's no return for a £70m signing 3 years later. Does this point to there being little interest for him in the end. Loaning him must have been a last resort.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
So James would come in for Ribéry in that scenario, with a 2 man midfield and Müller behind the striker? Has James played on the left under Ancelotti at Real? He played in place of Bale on the right when the latter was injured, no?

Your post makes sense but I don't know whether it is realistic.
James played several roles over time at Real, often filling in wherever he was needed.

I'm far from sure that this is realistic too, it's just a wild guess. It would also require Ancelotti to regard Müller as a key player, and I somehow doubt that.

The original setup I'm referring to was with Di Maria in 2013/14, who in my eyes played a combination of LCM and LW.

Ronaldo had already become a player who plays in the center a lot despite nominally starting out wide. He left a hole on the left side when cutting in, so the LCM situationally covered for him positionally and provided creativity from the flank. As a consequence, the 4-3-3 regularly looked like a 4-4-2 with Ronaldo playing as second CF (and Di Maria balancing out his movement). That's also Müller's best role, and while in my memory he struggled to fill in for Ribery on the left side in the past, this particular arrangement would allow him to interpret this position differently. Less creative burden and wing play, more room for his trademark movement around the box.

At least that's how I understood that Real system back then, no guarantee that this is accurate. James and Isco sometimes played that role too after Di Maria left, although they are less of a winger type than the Argentinian.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Can you elaborate how?
In my opinion James is a player who can link up midfield and attack, something we were severely missing. Due to his great passing in the last third, his crossing and his great shooting he should free up space for Müller and provide plenty of opportunities to score for him. Also, Müller could play more behind the striker, facing the goal. That's the role suiting him best.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Since recreating Robben - Ribery is unlikely (and we have relied on them to be fit for at least 2 seasons too much now...) something like

- - - Tolisso - - - Thiago - - -Vidal - - -
- - - - - - -James R. - Müller - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - -Lewandowski - - - - - - -

is also possible.

Classical Mechanic

So James goes on loan for 2 years! Great business from Bayerns perspective but surely not for Madrid. Although they free up a wage it's no return for a £70m signing 3 years later. Does this point to there being little interest for him in the end. Loaning him must have been a last resort.
Madrid are desperate to get rid and no other club is interested. Not sure why this is great business for Bayern either, they have signed him because they can't compete with City for Sanchez. I expect James will go the same way as Costa at Bayern great start but tapering off and leaving within three years.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Since recreating Robben - Ribery is unlikely (and we have relied on them to be fit for at least 2 seasons too much now...) something like

- - - Tolisso - - - Thiago - - -Vidal - - -
- - - - - - -James R. - Müller - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - -Lewandowski - - - - - - -

is also possible.
This is basically what I'm expecting. Now Vidal has to leave next year and we get Goretzka in his place. Suddenly a team that looked far too old is back in great shape.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Madrid are desperate to get rid and no other club is interested. Not sure why this is great business for Bayern either, they have signed him because they can't compete with City for Sanchez. I expect James will go the same way as Costa at Bayern great start but tapering off and leaving within three years.
It's great business for us, because we were clearly lacking a real number 10 type of player. Ancelotti put him on song during his time at Real. He knows how to utilize him.
Sanchez's demands far exceed what he's actually capable of in terms of contribution. He's not a Ribery/Robben level type of player. So, I'd rather go with a 4 years younger James who closes a positional void.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Sanchez's demands far exceed what he's actually capable of in terms of contribution. He's not a Ribery/Robben level type of player. So, I'd rather go with a 4 years younger James who closes a positional void.
Agree.

Classical Mechanic

It's great business for us, because we were clearly lacking a real number 10 type of player. Ancelotti put him on song during his time at Real. He knows how to utilize him.
Not seeing it. It looks to me like Bayern are going backwards. Real want shot of James for a reason which is well documented. I think Sanchez is at the level you mention although perhaps he is more suited to the Premier League.

black_crow

Rodriguez made every 81 minutes a scorer point for Real Madrid.

He is pure class. Well done Bayern Munich.
We might change our system, but a system without a winger? Coman and Robbery wouldn't like that.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
In my opinion James is a player who can link up midfield and attack, something we were severely missing. Due to his great passing in the last third, his crossing and his great shooting he should free up space for Müller and provide plenty of opportunities to score for him. Also, Müller could play more behind the striker, facing the goal. That's the role suiting him best.
ok.. but how would we line up then with both of them?

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
So Bayern are gonna get James on a free in 2019? Interesting to see who is getting sold now. A big player could leave upfront.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
I'm actually struggling to understand this. Ancelotti's main formation does not utilize a no.10. His main formation has been a 4-3-3.
And if we're talking a 4-2-3-1 formation, surely we'd want the attacking midfielder to be Müller, no? Ancelotti couldn't find a position, or space in his formation, for Müller, but now you're talking of a positional void? If there's a no. 10 void it is in Carlo's system, not in the squad. Especially since Tolisso from what I've heard performed best as an attacking midfielder, 8-10 type as well.
We need replacements for Ribéry and Robben, and a backup striker. Is James any of that?

black_crow

System should be something like:

--- Ribery -------- Lewandowski ------ Robben ---
---------------------- James -------------------------
---------- Thiago -------------- Vidal ---------------
Alaba ---- Hummels --- Boateng -------- Kimmich
-------------------- Neuer ----------------------------

Bench:

Martinez, Coman, Sanches, Tolisso, Müller, Bernat, Süle, Rafinha, Rudy