FC Bayern 17/18 discussion

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
We need replacements for Ribéry and Robben, and a backup striker. Is James any of that?
And who are those supposed to be? I expect us to slowly transition away from our wing-heavy set ups towards the christmas tree Ancelotti was playing at Milan during the Kaka/Seedorf/Inzaghi days.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Sounds like Perez couldn't find any takers for the ridiculous fee he wanted, plus James was determined to leave. Didn't have a choice in the end.

Would have definitely quoted us some ridiculous price if we had been in for him, plus dragged things out until the end of window:rolleyes:

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
The way @fcbforever just showed.
So you would bench Robben and do away with our wing play altogether starting this season? Robben is still basically our best player ffs.

Anyway, I'm torn.

Looking at it from a basic standpoint, we were in need of an influx of quality in attacking positions and James is that. And he is a quality addition for a surprisingly low price. So it's no doubt a good 'deal', and I could just trust Ancelotti to figure out the rest, especially since James performed well under him before.

On the other hand, when I think about how we will actually end up playing, I think this is a signing which smacks of randomness and lack of a clear strategy.
The only thing he has in common with Alexis is a big name, if those two were the choice.
I guess I don't really trust Ancelotti to figure it out, at this point. Maybe I should.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
So you would bench Robben and do away with our wing play altogether starting this season? Robben is still basically our best player ffs.

Anyway, I'm torn.

Looking at it from a basic standpoint, we were in need of an influx of quality in attacking positions and James is that. And he is a quality addition for a surprisingly low price. So it's no doubt a good 'deal', and I could just trust Ancelotti to figure out the rest.

On the other hand, when I think about how we will actually end up playing, I think this is a signing which smacks of randomness and lack of a clear strategy.
The only thing he has in common with Alexis is a big name, if those two were the choice.
I guess I don't trust Ancelotti to figure it out, at this point. Maybe I should.
Robben is also old. I know he is still a great and impactful player. But at his age, if you can get a successor, no matter where he plays, you get him. Though, there would still be a place for Robben. He could obviously play for Müller. It could also very well be like this:

-----Lewa-----Müller-----
James------------Robben
-----Thiago----Vidal------
Alaba-Humm-Boa-Kimmich

This would work quite well, too. Alaba would provide the needed width so James could roam more in the middle and Robben could play on the line with Kimmich playing more in the middle (like Lahm did for Pep).
James provides us with loads of options. I just think the 4321 is most likely, as it is Carlo's favorite formation.

By the way, Robben was benched in favour of Müller before. He was just lucky Kroos got injured. Otherwise, he might have spent the tripple on the bench.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
So you will have to use James, Muller, Robben, Ribéry, Lewandowski and Coman upfront. Not bad!
2019 is far away. Who knows whether Ancelotti will continue to be Bayern coach after that. Also, both of Robben and Ribéry will be gone then.
But if Carlo does continue, and we buy James, and the trends of the first season solidify, I think we'll have a Müller exit issue starting next summer. Müller surely won't take being 2nd choice for much longer than another season.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Robben is also old. I know he is still a great and impactful player. But at his age, if you can get a successor, no matter where he plays, you get him. Though, there would still be a place for Robben. He could obviously play for Müller. It could also very well be like this:

-----Lewa-----Müller-----
James------------Robben
-----Thiago----Vidal------
Alaba-Humm-Boa-Kimmich

This would work quite well, too. Alaba would provide the needed width so James could roam more in the middle and Robben could play on the line with Kimmich playing more in the middle (like Lahm did for Pep).
James provides us with loads of options. I just think the 4321 is most likely, as it is Carlo's favorite formation.

By the way, Robben was benched in favour of Müller before. He was just lucky Kroos got injured. Otherwise, he might have spent the tripple on the bench.

Good points. Not sure whether these days a 4-3-2-1 is really Carlo's 'favourite formation'. It might just as well have been Milan party line.

Howerver, IMO WE were lucky Kroos got injured. Otherwise, we might not have had our triple since at the point Kroos went out we were still being overrun by Juve :lol:
Also, let's not forget who scored the winning goal in the final, and basically all winning goals in our finals...

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München

Anyway, I'm torn.

Looking at it from a basic standpoint, we were in need of an influx of quality in attacking positions and James is that. And he is a quality addition for a surprisingly low price. So it's no doubt a good 'deal', and I could just trust Ancelotti to figure out the rest, especially since James performed well under him before.

I guess I don't really trust Ancelotti to figure it out, at this point. Maybe I should.
It's more an perspective. If both Ribery and Robben are fit, why shouldn't we play the classical system again. Basically, this would give us just even more of an edge in tactical flexibility while also acknowledging that keeping that system just for the systems sake, when we likely won't get proper replacements, doesn't make sense.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
So you will have to use James, Muller, 1/2 Robben, 1/2 Ribéry, Lewandowski and Coman upfront. Not bad!
Corrected that for you. Let's be realistic, Ribery is straight on the way to become our new Scholl. Not that that's a bad thing and I'm glad we keep him, but he can't be relied upon anymore. Impact sub is a more realistic role.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Good points. Not sure whether these days a 4-3-2-1 is really Carlo's 'favourite formation'. It might just as well have been Milan party line.

Howerver, IMO WE were lucky Kroos got injured. Otherwise, we might not have had our triple since at the point Kroos went out we were still being overrun by Juve :lol:
One might say it was a blessing in disguise.

Of course things would have been different. I just want to make a case for Müller. It feels as if the world has already forgotten how good the guy can be.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
It's more an perspective. If both Ribery and Robben are fit, why shouldn't we play the classical system again. Basically, this would give us just even more of an edge in tactical flexibility while also acknowledging that keeping that system just for the systems sake, when we likely won't get proper replacements, doesn't make sense.
That makes sense.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
One might say it was a blessing in disguise.

Of course things would have been different. I just want to make a case for Müller. It feels as if the world has already forgotten how good the guy can be.
Absolutely. The problem is, my feeling is Carlo considers James his upgrade on Müller.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Corrected that for you. Let's be realistic, Ribery is straight on the way to become our new Scholl. Not that that's a bad thing and I'm glad we keep him, but he can't be relied upon anymore. Impact sub is a more realistic role.
:lol: Even 1/4. Great players made of glass :lol:

Jaap

Six positions for Vidal, Thiago, Tolisso, Renato Sanches, Ribéry, Robben, Coman, James, Müller as well as Gnabry (potential loan likely), Rudy & Lewandowski.

I think Müller will have a frustrating season.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Six positions for Vidal, Thiago, Tolisso, Renato Sanches, Ribéry, Robben, Coman, James, Müller as well as Gnabry (potential loan likely), Rudy & Lewandowski.

Apart from James, none of those players play the same position as Muller.

I reckon Ancelotti will slowly evolve towards a narrower diamond formation (as he did at Milan) and that will help Muller find his best form again, by playing just off Lewandowski.

Ribery also isn't really starting material anymore.

SirMattBugsby

Absolutely. The problem is, my feeling is Carlo considers James his upgrade on Müller.
Agree. Muller could have played in positions James will play in now (attacking midfield on the right). It's fairly clear at this point that Muller's only role under Ancelotti will be back-up. Sad but true.

Apart from James, none of those players play the same position as Muller.

I reckon Ancelotti will slowly evolve towards a narrower diamond formation (as he did at Milan) and that will help Muller find his best form again, by playing just off Lewandowski.

Ribery also isn't really starting material anymore.
It is possible (Muller at left forward with Robben/James on the right) but Ancelotti prefers technicians. If he'd rated Muller highly, he would have used him in a better role last season than shunting him out to the wings. When he was playing, that is.

Ribery seems the more likelier to start on the left, maybe even Coman. Robben/James on the right (James in midfield whenever Robben plays). Muller will remain back-up, mostly for Lewy but also filling in when needed in other attacking positions.

I really hope United bid for him next summer if the injustice continues. What a player.. possibly Mourinho's dream no. 10, definitely mine. Heck, I might even do the impossible and buy his jersey!

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
that is very true, actually he might have missed the treble alltogether if Kroos did not get injured. Robben changed the whole balance of the CL QF almost by himself

Aza Boy

James will not play as the winger. He will play the role of AM or SS. This is his best position. Most of the time, Bayern attack from Left and Right Winger. Now, they have other option, attack from the Middle.

After 2 years, James could be CM a la Alonso.

Lucky them, 2 year loan with Purchase Option. James happy, Madrid happy, Bayern happy.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
First of all, lets see how he does at Bayern before trying to get bragging rights! Just because he's gone there, doesn't mean he's going to be successful. However I think he will do well.

In my opinion, its not that James wouldnt do well at Utd, but he's not the right player at all when we already have Mata and Miki - and we need strengthening in other areas, and we need to prioritise.
He is comfortably better than those two. The other poster is right. Only delusion made folks think James would not have been a worthy purchase for united.

SirMattBugsby

First of all, lets see how he does at Bayern before trying to get bragging rights! Just because he's gone there, doesn't mean he's going to be successful. However I think he will do well.

In my opinion, its not that James wouldnt do well at Utd, but he's not the right player at all when we already have Mata and Miki - and we need strengthening in other areas, and we need to prioritise.
He is comfortably better than those two. The other poster is right. Only delusion made folks think James would not have been a worthy purchase for united.
That's uncalled for. James might be better than Mata and Mkhi, but what's the point in stockpiling players in one position when there are notable deficiencies elsewhere? Besides, Mourinho is likely to go for a playing style that doesn't suit James. How would you say then that he would have been a good purchase?

Also, Mata and Mkhi aren't that bad. They are certainly good enough to feature in a league-winning team, especially when they are likely to compete for one spot. Unless we sell one of them, we don't need James.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Again I reckon that 4-3-1-2 will be the way to go.

Neuer
Kimmich - Boateng - Hummels - Alaba
Tolisso - Thiago - Vidal
James
Lewandowski - Muller
ahh but we are in for Muller... it's in the Daily Star so it must be true :nono:

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln

If he doesn't perform well, yes it will be frustrating for him.

If he performs, he don't need to care. It's up to him.

SirMattBugsby

If he doesn't perform well, yes it will be frustrating for him.

If he performs, he don't need to care. It's up to him.
The present playing style does not suit Müller's game. You cannot perform well if you are set up to fail.

He isn't first-choice in any position and the arrival of James rather than an out-and-out winger pretty much confirms his squad player status. If Ancelotti is coach this time next year he'll be seriously considering leaving.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
The present playing style does not suit Müller's game. You cannot perform well if you are set up to fail.

He isn't first-choice in any position and the arrival of James rather than an out-and-out winger pretty much confirms his squad player status. If Ancelotti is coach this time next year he'll be seriously considering leaving.
Where the feck does this "the playstyle doesn't fit him" bullshit come from? It's the same playstyle we played the last 5 years, basically. He just didn't play well for the last half of 2016, still played a ton of games and had 16 assists in the league alone.

SirMattBugsby

Where the feck does this "the playstyle doesn't fit him" bullshit come from? It's the same playstyle we played the last 5 years, basically. He just didn't play well for the last half of 2016, still played a ton of games and had 16 assists in the league alone.
The intensity is nowhere near it was under Guardiola. Even under Pep during the end, Müller was dropped in the first leg against Atlético Madrid.

It's quite clear really. Müller thrives on space and there's no space when Bayern play possession against deep-lying opponents. He's been asked to play on the wings or as backup for Lewandowski. In other words, beat his opponent in take-ons and create chances or play with his back to goal.

Those aren't his strengths, in fact they might be his weaknesses. I'd definitely prefer him playing off Lewandowski, for which Ancelotti would have to play with one less midfielder (either that or a three-man defense). And Ancelotti wouldn't do that because of... the playing style.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
The intensity is nowhere near it was under Guardiola. Even under Pep during the end, Müller was dropped in the first leg against Atlético Madrid.

It's quite clear really. Müller thrives on space and there's no space when Bayern play possession against deep-lying opponents. He's been asked to play on the wings or as backup for Lewandowski. In other words, beat his opponent in take-ons and create chances or play with his back to goal.

Those aren't his strengths, in fact they might be his weaknesses. I'd definitely prefer him playing off Lewandowski, for which Ancelotti would have to play with one less midfielder (either that or a three-man defense). And Ancelotti wouldn't do that because of... the playing style.
Ever seen him play? Or Bayern? Doesn't sound like it.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Müller actually recovered some form and started to play better when played in his roles behind Lewandowski. He had a few games, whenever he got to start and we played 4-2-3-1, where he was lively and dangerous again, even if his scoring boots didn't follow suit.
At the beginning of the season Ancelotti did Müller no favour placing him on the wing, and later in the season Ancelotti showed quite clearly that he sees the 4-2-3-1 only as a second choice formation, while his first choice 4-3-3 had no place for Müller. All of which is in line with what @SirMattBugsby says.

Now obviously Alonso is gone so maybe there will be a new approach by Ancelotti. Time will tell.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Now obviously Alonso is gone so maybe there will be a new approach by Ancelotti. Time will tell.
I believe we will see less wing play with James coming in for Costa, which IMHO would create space for Müller.

Play Robben, James, Vidal/Tolisso, Thiago/Tolisso behind Lewa and Müller and have Alaba push upfield as a wingback with Kimmich being a more traditional fullback.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
I believe we will see less wing play with James coming in for Costa, which IMHO would create space for Müller.

Play Robben, James, Vidal/Tolisso, Thiago/Tolisso behind Lewa and Müller and have Alaba push upfield as a wingback with Kimmich being a more traditional fullback.
That sounds great and I would love that. I'll believe it when I see it though.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
So it's out there. Allianz Arena is getting branded properly. It's about time. Will have to wait until the end of season 2017/2018, though. One last season with ugly seatings. :)