FC Bayern 17/18 discussion

schwalbe

Supports
Fc Bayern München
Hard to tell. I don't think Rudy's performances so far justify him starting over the competition, though of course he's faithful to position unlike the others maybe.
I don't think any of the other CMs performed better, on the contrary, i think he was the only one who showed constantly decent performances.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
I don't think any of the other CMs performed better, on the contrary, i think he was the only one who showed constantly decent performances.
I don't know. I have the feeling we can label his performances 'decent' because with him, the expectations are much lower, and thus we are satisfied with what he's showing in a way in which we wouldn't be if we had bought an expensive star.
It's a matter of definition of course.

Jerzol78

I don't know. I have the feeling we can label his performances 'decent' because with him, the expectations are much lower, and thus we are satisfied with what he's showing in a way in which we wouldn't be if we had bought an expensive star.
It's a matter of definition of course.
Well, apart from Thiago's two last games, I's say that so far this season Rudy has had most consistent and solid performances of Bayern midfielders (including Thiago's other games). So far that's enough to expect that he will start more matches.

Blackwidow

In the Celtic game, Thiago played much, much higher than Rudy though, and against the ball, which is usually when we distinguish 'formations', he sometimes pressed up front with Lewandoski, higher than even Müller, Coman, Robben.
So how have Bayern looked since the Italian job finished? Is there a marked difference in their play? Anything in particular of note?
There have been visible improvements, whether this is just down to the poor opposition only time will tell. We went back to a 4-2-3-1 with Martinez as a DM, that change definitely helped Müller but the biggest difference is probably that the players seem to actually give a feck.
A 4-3-3 or actually a 4-1-4-1 adapted to the players. Heynckes atleast named it one. I think it is difficult to label with this different player types. Müller is not playing as a 10 but as a mix out of a right 8, second striker and winger.

Thiago has a pretty free role, too - but as he covered more the left side and Müller the right you probably can name that a 4-1-4-1 again. With a good defensive cover that matches to both of them best, I guess.

What for sure changed was the pressing - that is coordinated team work again.

You might laugh - but I think that it is important. Discipline is back, too. Oh, yes, that is typical German therefore it might have been a big factor, too, when an Italian came in that did not care.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Vidal needs to show some fitness and focus before he can claim a starting spot again. I've the feeling that with the end of this Chilean generation, he lost a bit of desire. Hopefully it's just the temporary lack of motivation.
Heynckes ia certainly the best coach to get him back on track. Same goes for many other players like Boateng or Martinez.
Vidal is done and we'd be smart to get rid of him as long as we still can get some serious cash for him. And a lack of desire is quite the euphemism to describe what the guy is struggling with off the field.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Also, how the feck is it October and we have three players available for our four attacking positions. James never plays yet has back problems? What is this shit. Robben, Coman, Lewa the ONLY attacker available? Jupp has to get some kid from Regionalliga? This is beyond pathetic.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Also, how the feck is it October and we have three players available for our four attacking positions. James never plays yet has back problems? What is this shit. Robben, Coman, Lewa the ONLY attacker available? Jupp has to get some kid from Regionalliga? This is beyond pathetic.
To be fair, Mueller getting injured is an anomaly in the Trump presidency mold. These things should not happen

MikeMango

Coman seemed not 100% fit as well.
I just hope the reason for his substitution was mainly exhaustion and that he recovers until Saturday.
If not, we have a problem.

Trizy

Injuries?

My heart bleeds for your 1 team league :lol:.

Just buy your rivals best players if you're having a tough time, usually works.
Bait.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Injuries?

Bait.
Aren't there enough threads in the Utd-section for you to shit up with substance-free drivel?
Btw, that one team league currently has 3 teams within a single point at the top, while your oh-so competitive league has already someone running away with 5 pts, just like least season...and the season before...and the season before.

Trizy

Aren't there enough threads in the Utd-section for you to shit up with substance-free drivel?
Btw, that one team league currently has 3 teams within a single point at the top, while your oh-so competitive league has already someone running away with 5 pts, just like least season...and the season before...and the season before.
Success.

Also on your point about our competitive league. In the past 5 years we've had 4 different winners. BundlesLiga has had one; Bayern. :angel:

MikeMango

Injuries?

Bait.
That comment was not very helpful. Please work on your discussions kills.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Lewandowski has not even traveled to Scotland, Coman has while still dealing with injury. Otschi Wriedt from Bayern II is not registered to play CL, Müller of course still out.
We do not have a single striker available to play in a CL game, and the supporting attacking positions are not covered either. Just let that sink in. 18 year old Wintzheimer from the U19 will be part of the squad.

Reckless unprofessionalism.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Lewandowski has not even traveled to Scotland, Coman has while still dealing with injury. Otschi Wriedt from Bayern II is not registered to play CL, Müller of course still out.
We do not have a single striker available to play in a CL game, and the supporting attacking positions are not covered either. Just let that sink in. 18 year old Wintzheimer from the U19 will be part of the squad.

Who cares, you could play 11 defenders against Celtic and still win. Even in the rare case that you slip it doesn't have any implications on your standing in the group.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

It's a bit odd indeed, you'd think Bayern would be capable of creating a deep bench but just like Real Madrid they kinda neglected it.

Blackwidow

How probable is it that both unbreakables that maybe have missed 10 matches altogether in the last 7 years will be out at the same time? Lewy's injury history since playing in Germany is as clean as that of Müller. And Ancelotti did not plan to play the offensive variations with four offensives too often especially in big matches...

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
It's a bit odd indeed, you'd think Bayern would be capable of creating a deep bench but just like Real Madrid they kinda neglected it.
Thing is, their bench actually is pretty deep when it comes to any position but striker.
Lewy and Müller out spells trouble which they should have avoided.
If Coman can go against Celtic I don’t see an issue. Just roll out Robben, James, Coman and play Thiago, Martinez, Vidal/Rudy behind them.
Add Alaba, Hummels, Boateng, Kimmich and they should win comfortably.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Who cares, you could play 11 defenders against Celtic and still win. Even in the rare case that you slip it doesn't have any implications on your standing in the group.
I'm not worried about Celtic. Celtic were probably among the very worst teams we ever faced in CL, the other week. I just think it's inexplicable how we could go into the season with such a small squad.

Last edited:

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
We should just put in Kimmich as CB, I am convinced he could play anywhere and put in a great performance.

Ganklabb

Supports
Bayern München
The fact that we are playing Celtic today and that there is basically no competition to qualify for the next stage is due to pure chance.
Had we drawn a top team for pot 3 this quite possibly could have cost us the 1/8-final.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
The fact that we are playing Celtic today and that there is basically no competition to qualify for the next stage is due to pure chance.
Had we drawn a top team for pot 3 this quite possibly could have cost us the 1/8-final.
True. "It's just Celtic" - aye but it might not have been and it won't be the next time it happens.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Exactly.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
We let Sané slip away, which was a big mistake. We can't make that mistake again. Pulisic is a must-buy for us, if we can convince him to join. Tuchel as manager would help, I guess.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
We let Sané slip away, which was a big mistake. We can't make that mistake again. Pulisic is a must-buy for us, if we can convince him to join. Tuchel as manager would help, I guess.
Sané looks great, but I think Pep's influence on his development plays probably a large role with his newfound heights of form. At Schalke he was mostly a bit hit and miss. Under Ancelotti he probably wouldn't have played 9 out of 10 games and might have left after only one shitty season.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Sané looks great, but I think Pep's influence on his development plays probably a large role with his newfound heights of form. At Schalke he was mostly a bit hit and miss. Under Ancelotti he probably wouldn't have played 9 out of 10 games and might have left after only one shitty season.
I tend to agree. Pep has made him the driving force of their attack, basically. He's definitely done a lot of work with him to give him that kind of responsibility this season. He wouldn't have gotten that anywhere else.

I'm also not sure he'd look quite as good and be as effective outside of City's current system. Their attacking play is designed for Sane and Sterling, currently.

Last edited:

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Yeah ok. But so just to understand you correctly, is your argument that we shouldn't bother to go after the greatest youngsters for fear of ruining them?

Obviously, the big question, the one hovering above all else, is who will be the new coach. Tuchel, as a leading candidate, has already proven to be a great fit for Pulisic.
But regardless who it is, Pulisic has now shone under two different coaches, before turning 20. The kid is the real deal and able to play exactly those functions and positions we need filled. We should be seriously after him IMO. Real seriously.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
I tend to agree. Pep has made him the driving force of their attack, basically. He's definitely done a lot of work with him to give him that kind of responsibility this season. He wouldn't have gotten that anywhere else.

I'm also not sure he'd look quite as good and be as effective outside of City's current system. Their attacking play is designed for Sane and Sterling, currently.
I don't understand the argument.

Basically, every player needs a good team and environment to really perform. So what if Sané is flourishing specifically under Pep? He's 21 now, and he became a starter at Schalke at 19. It's not like this City is an easy environment to get a start. He's got huge competition, and he's made space for himself by performing. Who are we to say he wouldn't have done the same at Bayern? Let's not pretend our attack is deeper and denser in quality than City's.

Secondly, it's not like our football is so different from Pep's. Why would a player which fits with Pep's system not be able to fit with us? Our style didn't change substantially with Ancelotti, it merely got worse the more Ancelotti meddled with it. He merely let some parts of it fade away.
We played possession football involving high pressing before Pep, and we're still playing it after him. We have used wing play before him, still do it now.

Sané would have been perfect, and the signs are he might be growing into one of the best attacking players Germany ever had.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Yeah ok. But so just to understand you correctly, is your argument that we shouldn't bother to go after the greatest youngsters for fear of ruining them?

Obviously, the big question, the one hovering above all else, is who will be the new coach. Tuchel, as a leading candidate, has already proven to be a great fit for Pulisic.
But regardless who it is, Pulisic has now shone under two different coaches, before turning 20. The kid is the real deal and able to play exactly those functions and positions we need filled. We should be seriously after him IMO. Real seriously.
No, of course I didn't mean that. :D
Ancelotti's spell here is just too recent in my memory, so that made me doubt that it would have gone well for us if we had bought Sané at that point in time.

I agree on Pulisic. Too good to not try and get him.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I don't understand the argument.

Basically, every player needs a good team and environment to really perform. So what if Sané is flourishing specifically under Pep? He's 21 now, and he became a starter at Schalke at 19. It's not like this City is an easy environment to get a start. He's got huge competition, and he's made space for himself by performing. Who are we to say he wouldn't have done the same at Bayern? Let's not pretend our attack is deeper and denser in quality than City's.

Secondly, it's not like our football is so different from Pep's. Why would a player which fits with Pep's system not be able to fit with us? Our style didn't change substantially with Ancelotti, it merely got worse the more Ancelotti meddled with it. He merely let some parts of it fade away.
We played possession football involving high pressing before Pep, and we're still playing it after him. We have used wing play before him, still do it now.

Sané would have been perfect, and the signs are he might be growing into one of the best attacking players Germany ever had.
What I think is that he would not have been given the level of responsibility that he has now. Not under Ancelotti. That responsibility which has helped him become a more mature and consistent player. Not just in terms of playing time but in the role that he plays in City's attacking plan. Him and Sterling are City's most important weapon this season. They are the focal point of the attack. It's very different to what they did last season and different to Pep's Bayern (he never had the chance to develop that style due to injuries). City have a lot of possession, yes, but that's not where their dominance comes from, unlike Pep's previous teams.

Everything is connected there and he's at the center of it. If he doesn't do his job, they need to change their attacking plan, the entire team. That would not have been the case at Bayern.

Blackwidow

Pulisic will not go to Bayern. He already told that he wants to play EPL and that he will not leave to Bayern. Yes, there is players that told before that they will not go to Bayern when they played for the rivals - and later did - but that usually are Germans...

Because of the US market he will be more expensive than a comparable player from elsewhere.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Pulisic will not go to Bayern. He already told that he wants to play EPL and that he will not leave to Bayern. Yes, there is players that told before that they will not go to Bayern when they played for the rivals - and later did - but that usually are Germans...

Because of the US market he will be more expensive than a comparable player from elsewhere.
Sane was the one we should have gotten. Instead, I expect us to settle with Brand...

TotalFootballOne

There biggest mistake was not signing KdB in Pep final season. I honestly believe he was that missing piece to that team and they would've ended it with the treble. Pep knew what he wanted and both Lewa and Muller would've benefited the most from him.

Letting Kroos go and for peanuts just set the team back. Sane would've been a great replacement for Ribery and Robben.