FC Bayern München - 22/23 - No levers, no Lewy

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
The thing that people get confused with is that not everyone here cares who wins the BL. Bremen sure as hell aren't depressed that despite coming back from 2 goals down Bayern beat Bochum 7-0 and so will win the league. Neither are Hoffenheim who are close to Bayern in the title race right now, for them winning the title isn't a possibility but getting into Europe is.

Outside of the title race, the league is very competitive with clubs battling for and getting European spots, and many big clubs bring relegated.

It's only outside Germany do people want to focus on who wins the league and nothing else.
Exactly this. The stories the BL delivers aren't about the title race (which is a bit sad) but about everything else and in that regard it delivers plenty. The "problem" is that consistent organic growth is very hard for BL clubs, once they reach a European competition they often don't have the ressources to compete well in everything and are struggling... next season someone else has the same problem etc.

It's fun, but it's no wonder that few teams evolve into true top teams.

YSB99

Supports
Machester United FC
The thing that people get confused with is that not everyone here cares who wins the BL. Bremen sure as hell aren't depressed that despite coming back from 2 goals down Bayern beat Bochum 7-0 and so will win the league. Neither are Hoffenheim who are close to Bayern in the title race right now, for them winning the title isn't a possibility but getting into Europe is.

Outside of the title race, the league is very competitive with clubs battling for and getting European spots, and many big clubs bring relegated.

It's only outside Germany do people want to focus on who wins the league and nothing else.
Well it’s kind of point of competitive sports, the league exists to see who’s the best.

pointless league at this a stage,

redcucumber

It's not unusual to be interested in the competitiveness of title races across the respective leagues. It'd be weirder if every league was monopolised by one elite team and blindly accepted as being completely fine and hunky dory. The Bundesliga would surely benefit from a playoff system? As an outsider, there's little incentive to bother watching in its current state. The title is a foregone conclusion before a ball is even kicked. Bill Burr had a great bit about sport and competitiveness that would have illustrated this point nicely. I can't remember how it went, but it was relevant and it's Bill Burr, so yeh.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

Sure. It does not change the fact that 10cum11 in a row makes a joke of the league. No major league has ever had such lack of competition at the top end of the table. Not even celtic or rangers managed it.

I mean "the league is great if you just ignore the question of who is going to win" is a pretty damning assessment.

Judas

Open to offers
Trying to create an argument that it doesn't matter that the league effectively doesn't have a title race is a real stretch, and people in said country don't mind. They just know its simply a lost cause and are trying to make the best of the situation. It's awful that one team is so dominate, and there's not a single positive that comes from it.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Well it’s kind of point of competitive sports, the league exists to see who’s the best.

Why do Bournemouth even have fans, then? Pointless club by your definition of what the point is.

Has to be the Bundesliga, 10 in a row is ridiculous
The main difference is that PSG simply aren't as competently run. By all rights they should stomp their league way harder than we do.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

So you mean teams like Palace, Brentford are pointless in the EPL because there is little chance they can win the league? The league is there to provide an organisation where teams can play each other to determine many different things, such as winning the league, relegation and also European qualification.

Sure. It does not change the fact that 10cum11 in a row makes a joke of the league. No major league has ever had such lack of competition at the top end of the table. Not even celtic or rangers managed it.

I mean "the league is great if you just ignore the question of who is going to win" is a pretty damning assessment.
Trying to create an argument that it doesn't matter that the league effectively doesn't have a title race is a real stretch, and people in said country don't mind. They just know its simply a lost cause and are trying to make the best of the situation. It's awful that one team is so dominate, and there's not a single positive that comes from it.
No one in Germany will say there isn't a problem with Bayern winning 10/11 league titles in a row but everyone knows there is only one concrete solution to this, which is to remove the 50+1 rule. The EPL was suffering a similar problem in the 90's with United winning 7 out of 10 leagues, the way the dominance ended was with Chelsea coming in with the Abramovich money followed by City with Abu Dhabi, if the EPL had the 50+1 rule this would never happen. The 50+1 rule though is something very few people would be willing to let go just to help create a more even playing field at the top, for them the negatives are far more than the positive of more winners.

The rest of the league is still very competitive and for them letting go of the 50+1 rule is like taking the soul out of German football, and therefore this won't happen anytime soon. This is why I bring back the point of other teams in the league, for them the league is fine because they are still able to achieve things such as qualification for Europe.

Stadium attendances are still the highest in Europe, fan engagement and atmosphere is still fantastic while ticket prices are low. If you want to judge a league only by who wins then go ahead, but that ignores a lot else that makes a league enjoyable.

The league has thankfully implemented a more even revenue distribution scheme, more similar to the EPL, so hopefully that can help give more money to other clubs to compete financially. Though there is another issue to this that Dortmund, Leverkusen etc aren't competing with Bayern to keep their best players but rather the EPL (Bayern have to compete with them too), whose teams will continue to be far richer than them regardless of how much revenue they receive, so even that isn't going to be a permanent solution.

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't think it is a big deal but to say it doesn't matter is ridiculous. It should not be the be all and end all or affect how other clubs enjoy their football but people should certainly care.
I think some serious competition would be good for Bayern also.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
So you mean teams like Brighton, Brentford are pointless in the EPL because there is no way they can win the league?
Like there was no way Leicester could win the prem?

For me it's not just the fact that Bayern have won 10 in a row. Its that whoever is second is nowhere near. Man City have won 5 out of the past 10 in England but there's usually a very close second, with the race going to the last weekend (or last kick!) of the season.

As you say, pretty much everything else about the German league is great, when I brought this up I was just curious about what people in Germany think about Bayerns dominance.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Has to be the Bundesliga, 10 in a row is ridiculous
Well, how many CLs and ELs have Ligue 1 teams won in that timeframe? 10 in a row is damning for the other teams, yes, but Bayern have also been top tier of European football for most of that time, while PSG hasn't got more to show than one CL final participation. Besides, we recently had the final four contenders for the CL coming from these two farmer's leagues, and just last year the Europa league was won by Eintracht Farmers, pardon, Frankfurt.
Lack of competition for the title isn't a good thing, but it's not the one and only indicator of the level of football played in the league.
That all said, i still believe, too, that it's only a question of time until, if things stay as they are, the overall level of the league will be where its detractors see it already.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Well, how many CLs and ELs have Ligue 1 teams won in that timeframe? 10 in a row is damning for the other teams, yes, but Bayern have also been top tier of European football for most of that time, while PSG hasn't got more to show than one CL final participation. Besides, we recently had the final four contenders for the CL coming from these two farmer's leagues, and just last year the Europa league was won by Eintracht Farmers, pardon, Frankfurt.
Lack of competition for the title isn't a good thing, but it's not the one and only indicator of the level of football played in the league.
That all said, i still believe, too, that it's only a question of time until, if things stay as they are, the overall level of the league will be where its detractors see it already.
None of this passionate defense changes the fact that the Bundesliga is currently more of a farmer's league than the French league.

Isn't it a bit telling that the only people defending the shitshow of Bundesliga are in fact Bundesliga watchers?

redcucumber

So you mean teams like Palace, Brentford are pointless in the EPL because there is little chance they can win the league? The league is there to provide an organisation where teams can play each other to determine many different things, such as winning the league, relegation and also European qualification.

No one in Germany will say there isn't a problem with Bayern winning 10/11 league titles in a row but everyone knows there is only one solution to this, which is to remove the 50+1 rule. The EPL was suffering a similar problem in the 90's with United winning 7 out of 10 leagues, the way the dominance ended was with Chelsea coming in with the Abramovich money followed by City with Abu Dhabi, if the EPL had the 50+1 rule this would never happen. The 50+1 rule though is something very few people would be willing to let go just to help create a more even playing field at the top, for them the negatives are far more than the positive of more winners.

The rest of the league is still very competitive and for them letting go of the 50+1 rule is like taking the soul out of German football, and therefore this won't happen anytime soon. This is why I bring back the point of other teams in the league, for them the league is fine because they are still able to achieve things such as qualification for Europe.

Stadium attendances are still the highest in Europe, fan engagement and atmosphere is still fantastic while ticket prices are low. If you want to judge a league only by who wins then go ahead, but that ignores a lot else that makes a league enjoyable.
The Bundesliga is by far the most egregious in terms of inequality of opportunity. Something needs to be done, surely? If the 50+1 rule will never be challenged, I don't see why playoffs for the highest finishing teams wouldn't solve the issue. Bayern would still be the most likely champion, but at least other teams would be in with a shot.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Isn't it a bit telling that the only people defending the shitshow of Bundesliga are in fact Bundesliga watchers?
So the only people that matter. Why would Bundesliga watchers care if people who don't watch the league anyway complain?

YSB99

Supports
Machester United FC

No one in Germany will say there isn't a problem with Bayern winning 10/11 league titles in a row but everyone knows there is only one concrete solution to this, which is to remove the 50+1 rule. The EPL was suffering a similar problem in the 90's with United winning 7 out of 10 leagues, the way the dominance ended was with Chelsea coming in with the Abramovich money followed by City with Abu Dhabi, if the EPL had the 50+1 rule this would never happen. The 50+1 rule though is something very few people would be willing to let go just to help create a more even playing field at the top, for them the negatives are far more than the positive of more winners.

The league has thankfully implemented a more even revenue distribution scheme, more similar to the EPL, so hopefully that can help give more money to other clubs to compete financially. Though there is another issue to this that Dortmund, Leverkusen etc aren't competing with Bayern to keep their best players but rather the EPL (Bayern have to compete with them too), whose teams will continue to be far richer than them regardless of how much revenue they receive, so even that isn't going to be a permanent solution.
Open your eyes mate, the absolute state of German football

redcucumber

So the only people that matter. Why would Bundesliga watchers care if people who don't watch the league anyway complain?
Don't you want people to be interested in your league? Sport and football is best when it's a shared experience. Gate keeping leagues because you don't like what people are saying about it feels like an overly defensive reaction to what is being discussed.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Was that an answer to my question or just a weak reddit comeback?
Well if you can't figure out why those who benefit the most from the onesidedness and the ones that have to live with it but can't change it would be the ones most likely to find explanations, excuses and justifications for it, I can't help you

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Don't you want people to be interested in your league? Sport and football is best when it's a shared experience. Gate keeping leagues because you don't like what people are saying about it feels like an overly defensive reaction to what is being discussed.
In what way am I gatekeeping? Feel free to watch the Bundesliga, it's good fun. But whether you and a million other people start watching it won't change my matchday experience at all. I watch matches, not league tables and global viewing numbers. And I'm not a fan of the league, but of my club. I couldn't care less how many people tune in to Freiburg - Bremen on weekends.

Well if you can't figure out why those who benefit the most from the onesidedness and the ones that have to live with it but can't change it would be the ones most likely to find explanations, excuses and justifications for it, I can't help you
And if you can't figure out why people who watch and enjoy a league are free to watch and enjoy it, we have nothing further to talk about. Cheerio.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Like there was no way Leicester could win the prem?

For me it's not just the fact that Bayern have won 10 in a row. Its that whoever is second is nowhere near. Man City have won 5 out of the past 10 in England but there's usually a very close second, with the race going to the last weekend (or last kick!) of the season.

As you say, pretty much everything else about the German league is great, when I brought this up I was just curious about what people in Germany think about Bayerns dominance.
Kaiserslautern won the league in 98 after being promoted, Stuttgart won in 2007. When was the last a team like Leicester won the league? You can use outliers all you want. It's also ironic that the reason Leicester won was the rest of the league was really bad, Bayern are winning 10 times in a row is also because they've been a great team for 10 years (probably one bad season with Kovac in between). I think they've not made the semi-finals of the UCL only thrice during this span and always made it to the quarter finals.

Bayern also won the league by only 2 points during that Kovac season (2018-19), Dortmund should've had it in the bag but collapsed late in the season. In the EPL, ironically while there have been many winners, mostly they've been comfortable wins with the 2 seasons of Liverpool-City going into the last day of the season (Aguero's goal happened in 2011-12 and therefore before Bayern started winning).

redcucumber

In what way am I gatekeeping? Feel free to watch the Bundesliga, it's good fun. But whether you and a million other people start watching it won't change my matchday experience at all. I watch matches, not league tables and global viewing numbers.

And if you can't figure out why people who watch and enjoy a league are free to watch and enjoy it, we have nothing further to talk about. Cheerio.
You don't watch league tables?! So there's nothing at stake in any of league matches you watch Bayern Munich play in. What an odd experience that must be.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Kaiserslautern won the league in 98 after being promoted, Stuttgart won in 2007. When was the last a team like Leicester won the league? You can use outliers all you want. It's also ironic that the reason Leicester won was the rest of the league was really bad, Bayern are winning 10 times in a row is also because they've been a great team for 10 years (probably one bad season with Kovac in between). I think they've not made the semi-finals of the UCL only thrice during this span and always made it to the quarter finals.

Bayern also won the league by only 2 points during that Kovac season (2018-19), Dortmund should've had it in the bag but collapsed late in the season. In the EPL, ironically while there have been many winners, mostly they've been comfortable wins with the 2 seasons of Liverpool-City going into the last day of the season (Aguero's goal happened in 2011-12 and therefore before Bayern started winning).
So do you think Bayern dominating for so long is an issue for the league or not?

If not, fair enough.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
The Bundesliga is by far the most egregious in terms of inequality of opportunity. Something needs to be done, surely? If the 50+1 rule will never be challenged, I don't see why playoffs for the highest finishing teams wouldn't solve the issue. Bayern would still be the most likely champion, but at least other teams would be in with a shot.
Again you're defining opportunity by only who wins, what about qualifying for Europe?

The playoff system doesn't sound like a bad idea as it can add more interest in who wins while causing any wholesale structural changes like the 50+1. Would extend the season though so might be difficult from a scheduling perspective, this might include midweek matches, which is also viewed negatively within fan circles in Germany. I think Belgium does it this way as well so can see from them.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Yo, move your whining to the "Bundesliga is turd" thread please. This one is about the world's best team.

redcucumber

Again you're defining opportunity by only who wins, what about qualifying for Europe?

The playoff system doesn't sound like a bad idea as it can add more interest in who wins while causing any wholesale structural changes like the 50+1. Would extend the season though so might be difficult from a scheduling perspective, this might include midweek matches, which is also viewed negatively within fan circles in Germany. I think Belgium does it this way as well so can see from them.
Qualifying for Europe is important, but it's not winning a trophy. Qualifying for Europe is usually the first important step towards building a better team, with the end goal being winning a trophy/the league.

There's only 18 teams in the Bundesliga anyway, so you already play 4 less games than other big leagues.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I didn’t realise this was the Real Madrid thread. Someone should really change the thread title.
Nah, they are currently not even on top of the La Liga table. Though Villareal are obviously a fantastic team and would have deserved to win La Liga last season.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
So do you think Bayern dominating for so long is an issue for the league or not?

If not, fair enough.
I said that it is an issue at the start of my post ;)

No one in Germany will say there isn't a problem with Bayern winning 10/11 league titles in a row but everyone knows there is only one concrete solution to this, which is to remove the 50+1 rule.

PedroMendez

Acolyte

If not, fair enough.
pretty much everyone acknowledges the problem. When we look at leadership of German clubs and the league, the Bayern management is usually on the forefront of trying to discuss possible changes. People aren't blind to the problem but struggle to find any type of solution. Most proposed solutions just wouldn't fix this imbalance at all. Looking at how European football developed over the last 30 years, the only credible solution is to invite investors like Al-Khelaifi, Mansour or the Saudis. At least currently thats deeply unpopular.

Swordsman

I don't think it is a big deal but to say it doesn't matter is ridiculous. It should not be the be all and end all or affect how other clubs enjoy their football but people should certainly care.
I think some serious competition would be good for Bayern also.
too bad Dortmund self choke more times than they like.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
pretty much everyone acknowledges the problem. When we look at leadership of German clubs and the league, the Bayern management is usually on the forefront of trying to discuss possible changes. People aren't blind to the problem but struggle to find any type of solution. Most proposed solutions just wouldn't fix this imbalance at all. Looking at how European football developed over the last 30 years, the only credible solution is to invite investors like Al-Khelaifi, Mansour or the Saudis. At least currently thats deeply unpopular.
I think for them, it's a story of pick your poison. And Bayern dominance is better than dirty money.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Maybe a title change is in order? No Lewy, no problem?
I will only remove the "lever" from the title over my cold dead body!

(Or if Barca runs away with the title and has a successful CL campaign...)

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
Exactly. I really don't see what could be done to stop Bayern's dominance, other than their management fecking up greatly for few seasons in a row.

Bundesliga has been like this only since 2013. though, as earlier Bayern won three times in a row at most as far as I am aware.

As for the playoff system as a possible change, I'd really not favor it, as it takes away a lot of what the league is about. Bayern would win 8 out of 10 times anyway.

fck

Supports
Bayern
Qualifying for Europe is important, but it's not winning a trophy. Qualifying for Europe is usually the first important step towards building a better team, with the end goal being winning a trophy/the league.

There's only 18 teams in the Bundesliga anyway, so you already play 4 less games than other big leagues.
Its not just important but qualifying for the CL for example is huge for most clubs. And if its just about winning the league wouldn't that make the PL also just a less shitty league? Lets not act like the PL is some sort of NFL.