Fellaini | Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

lex talionis

I never supported the idea of bringing Fellaini in and for the most part he's been a shit player for us, but he did put in 5 or 6 good shifts over the years. But he would only ever be useful in a Moyes/Van Gaal/Mourinho side and has no useful role in a Solksjaer side.

Thank him for his service, but sell (or give away) him at the earliest possible time.

Loublaze

ATLien
Great business? We are talking about a league that pays huge sums to average players all the time, and Fellaini is a big name. We could have gotten more for him in Europe, never mind China...
Well, 7M is the rumored figure, not confirmed. Its still good business if true. Top clubs don't have much leverage when they get rid of older non elite players. Show me another average midfielder north of 30 in the PL who left one of the top 6 for huge sums. Fabregas is 31 and obviously a much better player and essentially joined Monaco for free (Chelsea will be paid bonuses based on his performances in France!). 26 year old Jack Wilshere joined West Ham for free and 25 year old Emre Can joined Juventus for free as well. Joe Hart is not a midfielder but joined Burnley for peanuts (3.5M).

You can also say the fee and the destination shows Fellaini had no other serious suitors and United were desperate to get rid. Its been clear from day one he was never in Solskjaer's plans. Even when Fellaini was linked to Besiktas last January the mooted fee was only 9 million

Devil may care

What in the name of feck is a suicide pass ?
A pass that puts your team in direct danger of conceding, like a CB playing a pass across his own box to the other CB when the opposition striker is within range of them to potentially intercept it, it's a self harming pass hence suicide pass.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
You can also say the fee and the destination shows Fellaini had no other serious suitors and United were desperate to get rid. Its been clear from day one he was never in Solskjaer's plans. Even when Fellaini was linked to Besiktas last January the mooted fee was only 9 million
And yet when he was match fit(always important, because it's stupid selecting somebody that isn't)he was the 2nd used substitute in Ole's first match in charge.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
His wages probably forced us to sell him for that much. Getting rid of his wages is important too. It's not like the transfer fee is the only benefit.

And for those that still want him in the squad, you guys need to get over that mindset. Every other side copes just fine without having a big guy like him in midfield. Would rather give his minutes to Fred or Gomes. Ole has stressed he wants the side to play faster and Fellaini doesn't aid in that.
Personally, I never thought he should ever play in the midfield. For me, he's a striker and that's the only place I would play him. As a target man with his back to goal, or getting onto the end of a cross...he's a horrible midfielder IMO

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Well, 7M is the rumored figure, not confirmed. Its still good business if true. Top clubs don't have much leverage when they get rid of older non elite players. Show me another average midfielder north of 30 in the PL who left one of the top 6 for huge sums. Fabregas is 31 and obviously a much better player and essentially joined Monaco for free (Chelsea will be paid bonuses based on his performances in France!). 26 year old Jack Wilshere joined West Ham for free and 25 year old Emre Can joined Juventus for free as well. Joe Hart is not a midfielder but joined Burnley for peanuts (3.5M).

Wilshire and Can were at the end of their contracts but I get your point

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
A pass that puts your team in direct danger of conceding, like a CB playing a pass across his own box to the other CB when the opposition striker is within range of them to potentially intercept it, it's a self harming pass hence suicide pass.
Never heard it in football before, but have in Cricket when a batsman tries to steal an extra run when there is no chance he will get it unless the fielder has a brainfart

Loublaze

ATLien
And yet when he was match fit(always important, because it's stupid selecting somebody that isn't)he was the 2nd used substitute in Ole's first match in charge.
I really don't think it means much do you? He came on in the 87th minute in that game

haram

Why are we selling him when we still have things to fight for. Just sell him in the fecking summer.

Escape Goat

Supports
Forest
Yeah both of us are wrong sure
We've always known hospital pass as meaning a pass that results in the receiver being clattered.

Maybe it's a generational thing and its meaning has softened for those growing up with modern "limited tackling" football.

Sterling Archer

Having the likes of Periera and Fred playing is why I said we should have waited till summer. Oh well. We need to pray to God that Matic, Herrera and Pogba don't get any kind of injuries or we'll be fecked in midfield.
Exactly. Our depth in midfield is non-existent.

AkaAkuma

Mousa dembele for 11m to Guangzhou. But I think his contract was running out.

Sterling Archer

So you think Fellaini adds to strength in depth?
I'm not going to go back and forth here and pretending an unfashionable and frequently fan-maligned (oddly never heard a manager say a bad thing about him) footballer that keeps making his way into Belgium's 'golden generation' squad does not add any value. Even if we're looking at United alone he's shown to be a more useful and different dimension to the other benchwarmers in question. It's one thing if we are about to go and sign another midfielder this January that's premier league capable. But we're not. And it's an even bigger farce if we're getting a measly 7mil. So @el3mel 's point is spot on.

GBBQ

I'm not going to go back and forth here and pretending an unfashionable and frequently fan-maligned (oddly never heard a manager say a bad thing about him) footballer that keeps making his way into Belgium's 'golden generation' squad does not add any value. Even if we're looking at United alone he's shown to be a more useful and different dimension to the other benchwarmers in question. It's one thing if we are about to go and sign another midfielder this January that's premier league capable. But we're not. And it's an even bigger farce if we're getting a measly 7mil. So @el3mel 's point is spot on.
He only adds value if you play to his strengths. Mourinho did that, hence he was a match winner at times for him. I believed at the time that we were right to sign him back up in the summer if Mourinho saw him as a viable alternative. I don't think Ole's style of football calls for a player like Fellaini so i don't think he can be considered squad depth if all ole will do is a few token run outs in games well won.

Also, given that Fellaini could hold out until the summer to see who the next manager is and try win a spot back under them, its likely that he himself wants out and its not solely down to United wanting rid.

Dan_F

Probably would have been a more effective sub than Sanchez with the amount of crosses we were putting in last night.

In Rainbows

Why are we selling him when we still have things to fight for. Just sell him in the fecking summer.
I just think Ole doesn't have a role for him. Even after yesterday's match, he mentioned that he wanted the team to play faster. Better to give his minutes to someone else. I think he's right to try out the kids. At this point I feel like Pereira played himself out of the side. Time to move onto another youngster.

haram

I just think Ole doesn't have a role for him. Even after yesterday's match, he mentioned that he wanted the team to play faster. Better to give his minutes to someone else. I think he's right to try out the kids. At this point I feel like Pereira played himself out of the side. Time to move onto another youngster.
Could have used him last night that’s for sure.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Oh the golden generation that's impressing. I wonder what they won.

This is not about talent but about what the player can bring to the table. Gattuso was average talent wise but Pirlo needed a workhorse alongside him and together they actually won something for both club and country.

United are building a side around quick tempo pass to feet football. Fellaini is the exact opposite to that. Actually not many teams use a Fellaini these days. Which explains why he's moving to China rather then Real Madrid.

Last edited:

foolsgold

Never had a problem with the guys attitude, he worked his arse off every time he took the field, never sulked unlike others i could name.

Sadly though, he far too often didn't fit into what most consider a Manchester United player should be.

i wish him well and thank him for his efforts. I have may have issues with the managers that picked him, but that's a different discussion.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Never got why Fellaini gets so much abuse from our fans. As others have pointed out he scored some crucial goals for us throughout the years and gave his all for United. Don't get me wrong it's the right time to move on from him but ffs give the man some respect.

In Rainbows

I don't like using him as a crutch. It just turns our tactics into hoofball. United need to move away from that. Every top team doesn't have someone like Fellaini and they get on just fine.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the idea of having that in our arsenal. I just dislike the idea of having Fellaini only for those situations and I don't like the idea of doing that for 20-30 min every match we're trailing. If Fellaini fit a faster pace style, and he was someone you could hoof it up to, I would be all for it.

GazTheLegend

We came back from two goals down anyway. Playing better football than we would have done with Fellaini.

We had 28 shots at goal.

Not sure why anyone thinks Fellaini could have done any more than Sanchez or Lingard (who won us the penalty)...

You can batter teams without resorting to launching it all the time.

Roboc7

You can’t turn down the opportunity to get a fee for him and get him off the wage bill, he’s nowhere near good enough and never has been. Had his moments but overall a poor signing who should have been moved on a long time ago.

I know people will convince themselves he’ll be missed and maybe 2 or 3 times this season he will now hit they’ll be plenty more times where we’ll be better off by not having him.

Two premier league assists in six seasons, one league goal in 2018 and zero this season. He’s not hard to replace, personally not convinced likes of Perreira, Mctominay or Fred are great options but have to see what they can do at some point. We’ve seen over a long period Fellaini isn’t good enough so it’s right to move on.

stevoc

Well I disagree. Fellaini can be a hit and miss player but I don't think he would have committed the Perreira feck up. In terms of pressing he is bad but the idea he's bad at quick tempo forward passing is a myth. He plays really well with the ball bouncing off him even with Belgium. I think he'd have added more stability to the team instead of Perreira. Of course Herrera would have been better than either but still.
Lets not act like Fellaini has never made a cock up that cost us a goal. He might have played better than Perreria last night, he might have played worse.

I do rate him as a player but I'm not blind enough to say he should be starting in front of Pogba, Herrera, Matic (or even Fred if he can start being useful). Just don't understand how someone can say Perreria is a better option than him but nothing I can do if you disagree.
To be fair one of the main reasons used to defend Fellaini on here the last few years has been that the manager selects and trusts him over others. Well the current manager doesn't select or trust him over the likes of even Perreria.

Now i'm not convinced by Perreria myself but i can at least see what Solskjaer is thinking by selecting him over Fellaini. He better fits the type of football Solskjaer wants to play.

stevoc

Been thinking about you(which is disturbing for both of us :lol: ) since yesterday afternoon when the news first broke #407

I wouldn't be counting my chickens just yet mate, if I was a betting man, and luckily for bookies world-wide i'm not i'd say there is more chance of United re-signing Wayne Rooney, and playing him at left-back against PSG than Fellaini going to China this window.
:lol: I think it's more lucky for you that you don't bet on things like that mate.

We'll have to wait and see i suppose, theres another month before the Chinese transfer window closes so plenty of time for them to get the deal done.

Think it'll be the best move for all parties, don't see him playing much under Solskjaer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.