Fellaini (on his way) out? | Duncan Castles: Fellaini agrees new two year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashoutcassius

Him getting the deal he wanted probably means Jose is having to work with a transfer budget that is much smaller than what is needed. We'll probably end up getting players for 2 of the 3 positions needed (RW, LB, CB). Might also suggest that we are having mare in finding interest for our unwanted players.
Do you really think bumping fellaini from 70k to 100k is going to drastically impact our transfer budget haha

JonDahl

Did you mean analogies ?

I just think some posters are only happy when they've got something to moan about, cast your mind back to Spurs at Old Trafford, Dembélé cutting through our midfield like a knife through butter "we need some steel, somebody to get amongst it, somebody to stop them taking liberties, in short we need a thug" they cried. We get somebody to do just that job, but still they moan.....

Right i'm off to take my well earned bow
People are moaning because he’s not good there, not because of a midfield role that they want field. Fellaini is the problem, not the qualities people want in the position.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Plan B ffs. Who and what was SAF’s plan B when we made all those regular comebacks? Would people be happy if we signed Peter Crouch on a free as back up for Lukaku for these circumstances?
He’s better at Plan B than Fellaini and would be cheaper than 120k a week.
The same Sir Alex who'd shove Bruce or Pallister up top for the last 5-10mins of games? Lets not make out he was a purist, probably his ability to change and do what was necessary is what got him over the line where playstyle purists like Wenger failed.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Man. United shouldn't really be playing in that competition in next 5 years so not really a good argument to make he did well in a competition Man. United are desperate to avoid.

He was very poor at home to Sevilla so that's more relevant to his usefulness going forward.
It is when the point I'm arguing is that he hasn't contributed to any success, the Europa League however big or small was a success

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Plan B ffs. Who and what was SAF’s plan B when we made all those regular comebacks? Would people be happy if we signed Peter Crouch on a free as back up for Lukaku for these circumstances?
He’s better at Plan B than Fellaini and would be cheaper than 120k a week.
In fairness sometimes all the strikers in the world don’t make a difference. Fergie was no stranger to chucking a CB up front for the last 10 minutes

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Him getting the deal he wanted probably means Jose is having to work with a transfer budget that is much smaller than what is needed. We'll probably end up getting players for 2 of the 3 positions needed (RW, LB, CB). Might also suggest that we are having mare in finding interest for our unwanted players.
This is a very good observation.

Who's out? Actually nobody is even rumored to be leaving. Well Darmian was but the Juve link seemed to have died.
Some whispers about Blind and Mata leaving...and that's all. the only player that seems to be leaving is Martial but i guess everyone at the club (bar Mou) wants to keep the lad.

With our needs of RB, LB, CM, RW and ST that's 5-6 players that would up to 300 mil pounds. We cannot spend that much.

For me Fellaini staying is just an economic decision.

rampo

Other than the fact that many of us don't like Fellaini, I think this is a perfectly logical decision. He can be in the starting XI for cup games and can be thrown onto pitch when our strategy is to hoofball

I am hoping this 20-30 mil extra will mean we can get world class RW and LB players

My only problem in this whole saga was how Fellaini played this entire drama (unnecessary comments, trying to say club is desperate for him etc), but then if I keep emotions aside, this is a logical move

DarkChildUTD

Soo much vitriol against Fellaini. Direct it at Mourinho, he considers him key to his plans next season n clearly wants him at OT. Support the manager people it's his wish!

prath92

not really fussed tbh. He isnt going to start much. If this helps in recruitment then why not.

RyRy11

Would I prefer a flashy new midfielder to replace Fellaini? Yes. However, I still thinks he adds another dimension to our game should we need it. Coupled with the fact that he's a relatively inexpensive player to keep on the books, im all for him staying.

Witchking

So Jose forces the club's hand to give a 2 year contract to fellaini but is happy for martial to leave? :houllier::houllier:

SouthPredators4

Feck off with Fellaini being a Plan B. If we are down by a goal, i rather switch to a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 by bringing on a extra striker like Rashford, Martial, or an extra offensive midfielder like Mata or even blood the likes of Pereira, Chong or Gomes. Maybe we can even go for the likes of Gelson Martins for a free. Any of these would be more productive than playing it to the head of Fellaini. This disgraceful tactic may work 1 out of 10 times, but the other 9 times it failed is cos the tactic only brings the best out of him while rendering the other outfield players useless.. Is it that difficult to understand? Heck, i am even prepared to lose 10 out of 10 times in such situations if it meant giving more playing time to Chong, Gomes and Pereira cos the positives far outweigh in the long term.

Janson

This is a very good observation.

Who's out? Actually nobody is even rumored to be leaving. Well Darmian was but the Juve link seemed to have died.
Some whispers about Blind and Mata leaving...and that's all. the only player that seems to be leaving is Martial but i guess everyone at the club (bar Mou) wants to keep the lad.

With our needs of RB, LB, CM, RW and ST that's 5-6 players that would up to 300 mil pounds. We cannot spend that much.

For me Fellaini staying is just an economic decision.
I think it will be only RW and CB. Pretty sure we won't sign a LB.

Alabaster Codify7

Another way to consider this nonsense.

The only clubs in Europe that could offer Fellaini what he has accepted here, or higher, are big clubs. The likes of the Turkish clubs and AC Milan are not big clubs in modern football, and couldn't offer him enough to tempt him.

So what that means, is - there was not a single big club in any league in Europe, that was willing to take a Belgian international on a FREE TRANSFER, even as a squad player.

Let that sink in. Not a single big club considered Fellaini worthy of a squad role at the least, at their club.

So what does that make us? Either gigantic mugs, or it's further proof of our club settling for mediocrity.

Let's be honest, we haven't acted like a big club on the pitch since SAF left. The only place we 'prove ourselves' to be a big club is when splashing the cash.

Witchking

Martial has rejected two contract extensions.
Ok i understand that. Apologies for going off topic, but it does look like Jose has fellaini's best interests in mind even when fellaini's talks rubbish in the media and yet gets what he wants. Martial on the over hand has been thrown to the dogs after being benched for no reason.

Why would martial sign a new contract when jose doesn't seem to give so much importance to him? My point is that fellaini got what he wanted and martial is left in the cold with a contract given to him. Doesn't sound like good management.

MUFC OK

We need that option cos we don’t have Ronaldo, Aguero, Messi, Lewandowski or Neymar. We have Lukaku/Rashford who are several tiers below d the aforementioned players.

If you don’t want the Fellaini option, sign Ronaldo + Neymar + Messi.
So let me get this straight, we need fellaini because we don't Ronaldo, Messi, Aguero, Lewa or Neymar?

If we can't have the best lets at least have someone with potential to be great, I see the likes of Inter and Juventus making great moves all the time and yet we persist with players like this clown.

stevoc

We can't replace 20 dross players within 2-3 summers, it'll take 5-6 summers to completely overhaul the squad.

This is why Fellaini is extending.

I'm sure back in 2016, Mourinho would have LOVED to tear up 20 contracts and sign 20 world class replacements instantly, but that's not how it works.

I'd imagine Fellaini will be 6th choice CM, 6th choice AM and 3rd choice ST

Upgrading our backups isn't the most important priorities right now to be honest.

Sign him up, gives us another 2 years before we need to replace him and move on to other priorities in the squad.
He should never be played as a striker, Lukaku, Martial, Rashford and Sanchez are all infinitely better in the position. So i've no idea how you think he's 3rd choice.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Feck off with Fellaini being a Plan B. If we are down by a goal, i rather switch to a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 by bringing on a extra striker
Agreed. Changing things by bringing Fellaini on makes no difference in the likelihood of us scoring in my opinion. If you want someone tall to aim at there's Pogba and Lukaku, who are only an inch shorter than him.

MUFC OK

I’m alright with this as long as it doesn’t mean we won’t get another centre mid. He’s a good squad player but that’s it.
That's basically what it means:
"I’m not saying improve – but we need to get a player to compensate the situation of Michael. If Marouane leaves, yes we have two gaps there, so let’s see what happens.” - Jose

stevoc

Funny you say he can only play as a no.10, yet for 90% of his career, at club level and International level he played as a defensive shield and was bloody good at it.

And the comments from Osman were twattish, bad enough from a fellow professional, but even worse from a former teammate.
Mate you know thats not true, or you should do. Do your own research he's probably played less than half his career matches as a DM. And most of those were in Belgium and his early years at Everton, he's rarely played the position at United. And thats 5 years of his senior career.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We'll probably never know now unless there's a change of Manager as he's never really had a run of games there for us to prove whether he can, or can't, but that's where I thought he'd play for us when we signed him, the fact he'd developed the other side of his game at Everton when David Moyes had no other option than to try him further forward because of injuries being a bonus when we signed him.

If Osman had said what he said whilst stood next to Fellaini in a post-match interview with a big grin on his face, or they were still teammates it would've been fine, as it was it was at a time when Fellaini was getting pelters elsewhere for his erm rough play, i'd have liked to think a former teammate would've been more supportive of him at the time, but maybe that's just me.

On Mourinho knowing more than we do, i'll take the fifth ;)
Everton took the best out of him by playing him as no 10. Similarly to Moyes, Mou played him in a deeper role and yet he came to the same conclusions. I think we're safe to say that his best role is that of no 10. Which makes sense really since it fully exploits his physicality, his inches and his attitude to make a nuisance of himself while limiting to the minimum the problems such characteristics would bring to the table

Being at the limelight all the time is difficult and sometimes players refuse to accept things even when its bloody obvious. For example Keane and Gaz overstayed at United, with the latter admitting it while the former lashing against everyone apart from himself. Baresi kept playing up until he was literally humiliated by a young Vieri in what I think was the most embarrassing Milanese derbies in the past 30 years. Del Piero tried to do the same and had to suffer the humiliation of Juventus showing him the door etc. We're talking about top players here, way better then Fellaini is.

stevoc

Exactly. It seems to have become one of those Caf things that's said as fact for some reason. He played well alright, but Herrera was better and deservedly got MOTM.
Yeah it's been said on here many times over the last year despite it not actually being true. Theres quite a few Caf myths that revolve around Fellaini. Like him being a good plan B.

I don't mind Fellaini as a plan B or C it seems to work,
Only very rarely.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
So Jose forces the club's hand to give a 2 year contract to fellaini but is happy for martial to leave? :houllier::houllier:
No, he has wanted Martial to stay. That has been repeatedly expressed and is substantiated by the new contracts we've offered him.

This is getting ridiculous now.

Last edited:

stevoc

The same Sir Alex who'd shove Bruce or Pallister up top for the last 5-10mins of games? Lets not make out he was a purist, probably his ability to change and do what was necessary is what got him over the line where playstyle purists like Wenger failed.
In fairness sometimes all the strikers in the world don’t make a difference. Fergie was no stranger to chucking a CB up front for the last 10 minutes
Almost every top manager has done that at some point in their careers even Guardiola, in desperate times it's worth a punt.

To be honest i would prefer if we did that as opposed to bringing Fellaini on as a target man to play long to. Pushing a CB up means one less defender and an extra attacker. When Fellaini comes on he usually just replaces an attacker and we have one less creative player on the pitch.

prath92

Ok i understand that. Apologies for going off topic, but it does look like Jose has fellaini's best interests in mind even when fellaini's talks rubbish in the media and yet gets what he wants. Martial on the over hand has been thrown to the dogs after being benched for no reason.

Why would martial sign a new contract when jose doesn't seem to give so much importance to him? My point is that fellaini got what he wanted and martial is left in the cold with a contract given to him. Doesn't sound like good management.
Not really similar circumstances.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Can people stop bringing Jose and Martial to every fecking thread? Christ...

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
this. We seem to forget that SAF gave the likes of Phil Neville, John OShea, Quinton Fortune and co tons of games despite not being exactly great in playing football. They were the Fellainis of their time.

MadMike

How can you not bring the manager into a discussion that is largely about him wanting to keep Fellaini and asking the club to extend his contract??

Unless you mean bringing up the Martial situation specifically.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Martial has nothing to do with the Fellaini situation, but Jose absolutely does. The decision to both increase and extend Fellaini's contract lies at his feet alone.

Dennis Viollet

The reverse .Rossi
I want to think positive, it will allow us to save money for the second midfielder and invest these pounds saved on what we really need.

kirk buttercup

I remember reading the reason Fellani is popular with coaches is that he does whatever they ask him to do. He is a fifth choice that will play to exactly what José wants, he is also a nuisance (not always brilliantly but you know what I mean) for other teams ,so in essence he would be a plan c or d . don't see him ever being a starter in big games again but I suppose he would be fine to be a squad player . We need to invest in other areas so I'm fine with him (not ideal but feck it) use the money on bigger fish for more pressing matters .

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
How can you not bring the manager into a discussion that is largely about him wanting to keep Fellaini and asking the club to extend his contract??

Unless you mean bringing up the Martial situation specifically.
Martial has nothing to do with the Fellaini situation, but Jose absolutely does. The decision to both increase and extend Fellaini's contract lies at his feet alone.
I don't mean Jose OR Martial. I mean both Jose AND Martial.

"X happens in our club, this is unacceptable from the club and Jose. I mean just look at how He handles Martial. Jose does this and that to Martial". It's like every player's situation is related to Martial's situation. The fact that Martial is "allowed" (which by the way, is paper's bollocks) to leave has nothing to do with Fellaini signing a new contract. Different situation, different players, different positions, different fees.

Martial's situation is the go to card for people when They start moaning and complaining about the club's decision. And also Martial is still our player. When in doubt, start typing Jose does X to Martial, to show how angry you are about the current situation which is totally irrelevant.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.