Gaming FIFA 21

RedDevilRoshi

Early impressions. I really, really like it.
The way the game looks and feels in the beta/demo is absolutely irrelevant. It happens every year. The game looks impressive and has potential early on but then you just know EA are going to patch the hell out of this like they’ve done so often with their past titles. It just becomes unplayable and boring unless you enjoy playing FUT and spending loads of money on FIFA points.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Nah, AI doesn't do it for me. I primarily play fut and rivals, but the game seems made to make you buy fifa points at any cost, like if you get a good winning streak, you get matched again seriously good people (doesn't matter if youre in division 7 or 2) and even then if you give a good fight, all the rebounds go to your rival and your defenders feet suddenly become jelly
Have you been playing FIFA 21 career mode? I’m literally only talking about what I’ve experienced so far and it’s a lot better with more features.

The gameplay will change of course but in terms of features it’s by a mile the best so far.
Forgive me if I take your post with a rather large pinch of salt after you said this about FIFA20
Not sure how the two are linked to be honest. There are tonnes more features now to make career mode much more engaging.
The way the game looks and feels in the beta/demo is absolutely irrelevant. It happens every year. The game looks impressive and has potential early on but then you just know EA are going to patch the hell out of this like they’ve done so often with their past titles. It just becomes unplayable and boring unless you enjoy playing FUT and spending loads of money on FIFA points.
Gameplay itself may change slightly but features won’t. Even if they tweak gameplay the features are brilliant.

Again take it how you like but I’m pre ordering off the back of this.

RedDevilRoshi

Gameplay itself may change slightly but features won’t. Even if they tweak gameplay the features are brilliant.

That’s the problem though. I remember last year at the very beginning, the pace of the game was on point. It felt like a football game & was such a breath of fresh air compared to the previous titles. Then EA decided to patch the whole thing and it went back to being an unrealistic ping-pong, fast paced ice hockey game like it’s predecessors. Why fix/amend something that doesn’t need fixing/amending? All you need to do is play with pacey players and hold the sprint button down. All these new gameplay features that they add just become irrelevant. It’s just so damn scripted which does my nut in about FIFA.

Last edited:

Eddy_JukeZ

That’s the problem though. I remember last year at the very beginning, the pace of the game was on point. It felt like a football game & was such a breath of fresh air compared to the previous titles. Then EA decided to patch the whole thing and it went back to being an unrealistic ping-pong, fast paced ice hockey game like it’s predecessors. Why fix/amend something that doesn’t need fixing/amending? All you need to do is play with pacey players and hold the sprint button down. All these new gameplay features that they add just become irrelevant. It’s just so damn scripted which does my nut in about FIFA.
Not even close to being true. The FIFA 20 beta was faster than the release version.

And either way, FIFA 20 is an extremely slow FIFA. The removal of skill chaining and increase in drop back 1 depth being used makes for very slow games.

Most games revolve around possession hoarding in the final 3rd until a pass to a striker isolated with a CB opens up. It's very 1 dimensional.

And most of the stupid gimmicks from 19 are completely eradicated. FIFA 20 is nothing like 19, which was nothing like 18 and so on.

I don't know how people continue peddling this myth. Maybe you don't notice the differences, but differences are there.

Eddy_JukeZ

Remember when Fifa was unrealistic but really fun? The turn to realism killed the franchise for me. Also, "realistic" to EA just seems to mean slower. I don't want my fecking players turning like 18 wheeler trucks.

It's a no from me. Fifa 10 was the last one I genuinely enjoyed.
Their turn to realism is nonsense either way.

FIFA 19 was the most unrealistic FIFA ever and also the worst. It was an embarrassment as a football simulation.

But EA's catering to "realism" is more-so them making the game extremely accessible and a narrow skill gap. This accessibility leads to greater spending in FUT so more people think they can compete at the top when their teams are outmatched.

AaronRedDevil

Everytime at the first week of a new fifa, it feels great and plays great. Then they put in a "Patch" and break everything only to spend the entire year fixing the bs. Rince and repeat.

Chief123

I’ve played FIFA since 96. Yes a bloody long time.

Having played so damn much, I’d say I’m a pretty good player without sounding too cocky. I refused to play UT this year. I’ve mainly played Online Seasons with normal teams. I win 90% of my games in division 1 and win the title every season I play now.

The reason for me stating the above first is to emphasise the fact that my opinion of Fifa 20 is not based on me being a crap player who doesn’t know how to play the game and just blames FIFA.

Anyhow, FIFA 20 has probably been the worse Fifa I have played in all them years. It was shocking. The patch they released a couple of months back just destroyed the game and was the final nail in the coffin.

Once you mastered the mechanics it was just a lame game of combo dragbacks, ball rolls, shot stop feints etc. It felt like playing street fighter where you reel off a combination of moves same way every time.

If Fifa 21 is anything like the atrocity 20 was then no thank you! EA have got some serious work to repair the shit show of the last one.

Chief123

Everytime at the first week of a new fifa, it feels great and plays great. Then they put in a "Patch" and break everything only to spend the entire year fixing the bs. Rince and repeat.
Yep, I don’t know why they do that but the patches literally destroy the game. Sometimes they make a bad game even worse.

Fifa 19 was ridiculous. The timed finishing curled shot from 20 yards was the most stupid gameplay ever. It was easier to score goals from 25 yards than it was to score one v one. Fifa 20 was even worse once the 54 patches were applied!

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Anyhow, FIFA 20 has probably been the worse Fifa I have played in all them years. It was shocking. The patch they released a couple of months back just destroyed the game and was the final nail in the coffin.
Worse than 19?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Talk to me here. I’m an almost exclusively career mode player. What do I have to look forward to?
Retraining players positions is excellent, it means you can shift high potential youths into areas you want rather than ending up with right footed LBs etc. For example I’m doing a United career mode and Dalot wasn’t getting a game at RB as AWB and Laird were ahead of him so I’ve converted him to a RM and now he’s a good rotation option.

Similarly Martial and Rashford started as LW and ST (not reflective of final positions) and so with a couple of weeks training I could shift then to suit the teams needs.

The training features are tonnes better. Now rather than having 5 players to train you can basically do the squad over 3 sessions. You can decide when to rest when to train and how hard and who to train to balance out fitness, sharpness and morale. It’s brilliant and you can feel the difference between sharp players and those who haven’t been trained but are fully fit.

Training also allows you to prioritise the style of the player you want to develop. For example I’ve converted James so he can play RW and I’ve been making him into a support player/crosser which focuses on his passing stats and aspects of his defending whereas Bruno I wanted to improve his mobility and skills so made him a Dynamo. Honestly it’s so much better IMO when you realise you for the first time can develop every player they say you want to. Obviously the bigger the change the longer it takes but you can now prolong careers. For example when Pogba starts to slow down I can make him a deep lying playmaker DM if I want to or turn Martial into a poacher etc.

The sim game function is perfect as you can drop in and out at key moments. I get lazy with playing smaller teams so sim the games and I jump in if I can see a decent chance emerging at either end. Makes it much more engaging as you feel in control at all times.

Game plans are much improved I’ve recently played Liverpool and City in career and wow the difference is noticeable. Liverpool’s pressing feels relentless you try play out from the back and every option is blocked so you have to try to beat it cleverly. City pass it around as you would expect too and it’s the first time you can feel the identity of these teams not just the same style with better stats.

Honestly for the first time in a long time it plays like a nice mix of FM and Fifa it’s not as in depth and complex as FM but it shouldn’t be.

dove

Skipped FIFA 19 and 20 and it looks like 21 too as it looks same old trash. I have no idea what realism some of you are talking about. FIFA has absolutely nothing to do with realism. The core gameplay mechanics are terrible and I have lost all the hope to see a decent football game anytime soon. Trust me it's much healthier to stay away from FIFA as far as possible.

AaronRedDevil

Retraining players positions is excellent, it means you can shift high potential youths into areas you want rather than ending up with right footed LBs etc. For example I’m doing a United career mode and Dalot wasn’t getting a game at RB as AWB and Laird were ahead of him so I’ve converted him to a RM and now he’s a good rotation option.

Similarly Martial and Rashford started as LW and ST (not reflective of final positions) and so with a couple of weeks training I could shift then to suit the teams needs.

The training features are tonnes better. Now rather than having 5 players to train you can basically do the squad over 3 sessions. You can decide when to rest when to train and how hard and who to train to balance out fitness, sharpness and morale. It’s brilliant and you can feel the difference between sharp players and those who haven’t been trained but are fully fit.

Training also allows you to prioritise the style of the player you want to develop. For example I’ve converted James so he can play RW and I’ve been making him into a support player/crosser which focuses on his passing stats and aspects of his defending whereas Bruno I wanted to improve his mobility and skills so made him a Dynamo. Honestly it’s so much better IMO when you realise you for the first time can develop every player they say you want to. Obviously the bigger the change the longer it takes but you can now prolong careers. For example when Pogba starts to slow down I can make him a deep lying playmaker DM if I want to or turn Martial into a poacher etc.

The sim game function is perfect as you can drop in and out at key moments. I get lazy with playing smaller teams so sim the games and I jump in if I can see a decent chance emerging at either end. Makes it much more engaging as you feel in control at all times.

Game plans are much improved I’ve recently played Liverpool and City in career and wow the difference is noticeable. Liverpool’s pressing feels relentless you try play out from the back and every option is blocked so you have to try to beat it cleverly. City pass it around as you would expect too and it’s the first time you can feel the identity of these teams not just the same style with better stats.

Honestly for the first time in a long time it plays like a nice mix of FM and Fifa it’s not as in depth and complex as FM but it shouldn’t be.
That actually sounds great. Especially the first part where you can change the positions a bit. Always annoying having a formation and the RM always plays over the RW automatically. Dropping in a sim is perfect since I always sim the games at the start. I just jump from window to window.

AaronRedDevil

Skipped FIFA 19 and 20 and it looks like 21 too as it looks same old trash. I have no idea what realism some of you are talking about. FIFA has absolutely nothing to do with realism. The core gameplay mechanics are terrible and I have lost all the hope to see a decent football game anytime soon. Trust me it's much healthier to stay away from FIFA as far as possible.
PES is definetly better in terms of gameplay. Even the UT is by far better, you can get a legend like it’s nothing. If they just put in Pro Clubs and make the FIFA skills convert into PES contols. I’d buy it everytime.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

This sounds promising but will have to play it myself I guess.

Any progress with regens? It seemed before that any young player you found had hardly any pace.

dove

PES is definetly better in terms of gameplay. Even the UT is by far better, you can get a legend like it’s nothing. If they just put in Pro Clubs and make the FIFA skills convert into PES contols. I’d buy it everytime.
It is better in gameplay but lacks so much else that it looks like an indie game in some parts. Them moving to UE gives some hope but I am sure they will find a way to mess it up too.

Carolina Red

Staff

Thank you for the in-depth response! You’ve definitely got me excited about this game.

I’ve been wanting the ability to retrain players as they progress through their careers for so long now. I’m so happy to hear that it is finally happening. That’ll bring about a whole new level to team building in career mode. Sounds fantastic.

Now let’s hope EA doesn’t kill it with a patch [fingers crossed]

zlatan_ish

juventino
Supports
La Vecchia Signora
Have you been playing FIFA 21 career mode? I’m literally only talking about what I’ve experienced so far and it’s a lot better with more features.

The gameplay will change of course but in terms of features it’s by a mile the best so far.

Not sure how the two are linked to be honest. There are tonnes more features now to make career mode much more engaging.

Why do you care about features though when gameplay would be painfully same in the end.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Why do you care about features though when gameplay would be painfully same in the end.
This is one of the main issues for me.

Playing the AI in career mode is soul destroying. Have you ever tried letting the ball run through your legs or performing a quick turn? The AI is never ever caught out by this and always reads your play with absolute perfection. So consequently you have to learn how to play to actually beat the AI and thus all imagination is removed from your patterns of play. If you try anything different it will not work. I've also played Fifa since release last year and think I've been fouled maybe 5 times in total by the AI around the box.

Also pressing the AI is a complete waste of time. You will relentlessly press someone like Villa and they'll just ping pong it past you. Every now and then you can make them knock it out for a throw but they'll rarely ever actually give the ball away. They seem to make up for that by having them then pass a ball 3 yards to literally nobody as if to say 'look the AI makes errors too'.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I was specifically asked about career mode. Having played it those were my thoughts as I get deeper into the mode I’ll update.

The gameplay is also better too. But not matter what I say someone will moan despite not playing it so why would I bother?
This is one of the main issues for me.

Playing the AI in career mode is soul destroying. Have you ever tried letting the ball run through your legs or performing a quick turn? The AI is never ever caught out by this and always reads your play with absolute perfection. So consequently you have to learn how to play to actually beat the AI and thus all imagination is removed from your patterns of play. If you try anything different it will not work. I've also played Fifa since release last year and think I've been fouled maybe 5 times in total by the AI around the box.

Also pressing the AI is a complete waste of time. You will relentlessly press someone like Villa and they'll just ping pong it past you. Every now and then you can make them knock it out for a throw but they'll rarely ever actually give the ball away. They seem to make up for that by having them then pass a ball 3 yards to literally nobody as if to say 'look the AI makes errors too'.
I’ve done the ball through legs move 5+ times already and it’s worked a treat with Bruno Fernandes... just saying.

Pressing absolutely does work. You have to press as a team though not one player. I did it and funnily enough it was Kepa who ended up passing to Bruno for an easy round the keeper and tap in.

I’m not sure if you’ve played 21 yet but sorry to disappoint you mate it’s better.

Even small things like tight touches are more fluid but you have to know how to play it and when.

luke511

Do not spend a penny on ultimate team, throughout the season they feck about with the settings and gradually nerf all the basic players to try and convince you to spend more money on the upgrades. 100% scam. 84 rated Rashford at the start of the season feels more or less the same as 94 rated Rashford at the end of it.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I've never bought into the patch myth. Always seen it more as the novelty wearing off.

AaronRedDevil

I've never bought into the patch myth. Always seen it more as the novelty wearing off.
Oh believe me, I wish it was a myth. I’ve started to notice it myself the last 3 FIFA’s. Always enjoy it at the start, and it plays just fine, everything works. Then the patch happens and all of a sudden, everything seems broken. I starting to think that’s how they suck you in. Demo plays good, then you buy it and voila.

Bojan11

It’s actually true.

Developer once said on working with the frostbite engine, when you solve one issue then there about 100 others that pop up from it. Seems to be the case with Fifa. They fix something and in the process something else is broken.

In addition to the anonymous sources from the above Kotaku articles, Manveer Heir, who previously worked on Andromeda, personally wrote on Twitter that "...all the criticisms of Frostbite, the shittiest engine I've ever worked with are 100% on point and seriously my life is so much better on Unreal now where things, you know, work and content creators are, you know, empowered." He then went on to add that "Some days I wake up from nightmares of Frostbite taking 2 days to do something I can do in 2 hours in a competent engine. Beautiful looking engine that is dogshit to use."

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I was specifically asked about career mode. Having played it those were my thoughts as I get deeper into the mode I’ll update.

The gameplay is also better too. But not matter what I say someone will moan despite not playing it so why would I bother?

I’ve done the ball through legs move 5+ times already and it’s worked a treat with Bruno Fernandes... just saying.

Pressing absolutely does work. You have to press as a team though not one player. I did it and funnily enough it was Kepa who ended up passing to Bruno for an easy round the keeper and tap in.

I’m not sure if you’ve played 21 yet but sorry to disappoint you mate it’s better.

Even small things like tight touches are more fluid but you have to know how to play it and when.
I would love if it was better so I hope it’s true. Is it possible to beat the CPU with a sudden change of direction? Like properly so that they commit one way and you go the other? Do they go in for more slide tackles and sometimes miss them leaving you with space? Those sorts of things don’t seem to happen on Fifa 20.

Macern

Pee pee pants
I like the beta, but EA has given me trust issues. It’s likely going to transition into a terrible game after a few updates.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I would love if it was better so I hope it’s true. Is it possible to beat the CPU with a sudden change of direction? Like properly so that they commit one way and you go the other? Do they go in for more slide tackles and sometimes miss them leaving you with space? Those sorts of things don’t seem to happen on Fifa 20.
In short yes. There’s animations for CBs slipping if you do it well enough with the right players.

It’s contextual though so not all the time but I don’t mean to be rude perhaps you’re not doing the right things in the right scenarios because that’s nothing new.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
In short yes. There’s animations for CBs slipping if you do it well enough with the right players.

It’s contextual though so not all the time but I don’t mean to be rude perhaps you’re not doing the right things in the right scenarios because that’s nothing new.
I mean it can’t only be me that gets those things. It always feels like it’s geared towards a certain way of playing. Like whichever way you block the AI seems to always go the opposite way. Or tackling them by the sideline making the ball go out but when they do it it stays in. Or every single shot being blocked regardless of distance.

Shark

@NotShark
Oh believe me, I wish it was a myth. I’ve started to notice it myself the last 3 FIFA’s. Always enjoy it at the start, and it plays just fine, everything works. Then the patch happens and all of a sudden, everything seems broken. I starting to think that’s how they suck you in. Demo plays good, then you buy it and voila.
Do you play mostly online or offline? Because everything feeling broken may come down to the shitty servers causing button delay and slowing down player movements rather than EA drastically changing anything to the gameplay itself. I often notice if you play the game at say 1am it'll feel like a completely different game to when the servers are really busy.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I mean it can’t only be me that gets those things. It always feels like it’s geared towards a certain way of playing. Like whichever way you block the AI seems to always go the opposite way. Or tackling them by the sideline making the ball go out but when they do it it stays in. Or every single shot being blocked regardless of distance.
I’m not suggesting it’s only you but I know for a fact you can do those things in game. I primarily play career mode or seasons and haven’t really suffered from those problems but again it depends on how you’re doing what you’re doing.

I do agree Fifa 20 certain styles work better than others.

AaronRedDevil

Honestly wish there was a control where to just press a button and the defender runs straight to the player and tackle him. Just like in the old FIFA games. It would solves so much of the stupidity we have to deal with, as the defenders don’t tackle just right or just bounce into the player and he still doesn’t get the ball, its agonising. You get punished for being a good player in the last FIFA’s.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Honestly wish there was a control where to just press a button and the defender runs straight to the player and tackle him. Just like in the old FIFA games. It would solves so much of the stupidity we have to deal with, as the defenders don’t tackle just right or just bounce into the player and he still doesn’t get the ball, its agonising. You get punished for being a good player in the last FIFA’s.
It’s not hard to hold A/X or manually jockey with LT/L2 and then when they take a heavy touch B or Cirlce.

Again it sounds more like not learning the game than the game itself. Most defenders don’t just run up and tackle people.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
It’s not hard to hold A/X or manually jockey with LT/L2 and then when they take a heavy touch B or Cirlce.

Again it sounds more like not learning the game than the game itself. Most defenders don’t just run up and tackle people.
Nah that’s not true, he’s got a point about the tackling. I don’t want the old system from the fifa of 5 years ago, but they do need to improve the tackling mechanics. This is a fairly common complaint, especially as early on the tackling system seemed an improvement, but it quickly reverted back.

When fifa 20 came out they attempted to hype up the new tackling mechanics, but it was clear fairly early on that they hadn’t got it right. It’s often better to just jockey a player and intercept.

AaronRedDevil

I know. I’m actually very good at the game. It’s just I’d like for the defender to actually get the back just once, it would be a massive relief. I tackle, the ball bounces back to them. I slide tackle, the ball bounes off my own player and he gets it back and now wide open for the run. I just can’t win. I’ll be completely honest, I have a lot of gameplay problems with FIFA for the last couple of years. Let’s say I lose 50 games, I can guarantee you at least 5 of them were fair, just straight up got beat. Every goal I’ve ever conceded was either a rebound or something because of the cpu leading him to the goal. Yet I never get that kind of goal. I beat the defender very fairly, no rebounds or anything bs. So that’s why I’m a just frustrated by the defending. I kinda want the PES defending system where I can just press a button. It’s still easy to beat it but you,have to time it right so theres some skill involved. But whatever, my dumbass is still going to buy it :lol:. Though I’m completely done with FUT, I’m just gonna grind it. No real money.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Genuinely pretty sure we could fix these defensive problems with some coaching.