Gaming Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth (PS5)

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
My god. That trailer is unbelievable. Should be a nailed on GOTY.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It seems much ‘bigger’ than remake doesn’t it?
Yep which is on par for Final Fantasy. The middle acts of games are where most content is and we start to truly flesh out the story. Wouldn't be shocked if there is enough content for an 80-100 hour game. :drool:

Ainu

Told myself I wasn't going to watch this. I failed. This looks absurd. I can't remember the last game I've bought at launch price but I might have to make an exception here.

Still haven't played the Yuffie DLC though.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Told myself I wasn't going to watch this. I failed. This looks absurd. I can't remember the last game I've bought at launch price but I might have to make an exception here.

Well worth it I’d say, was a lot of fun and some great music to boot. Not too long either.

Going to start the demo after work.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Play it, it's really good. I am not a fan of how they've gone with the story completely from the original but I can't deny they're making very very good games.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I probably won’t play this until next year but can anyone suggest a way / some great games to play to get better at turn based combat. It’s never been my thing but even when I was enjoying it in Yakuza Like a Dragon I was simply terrible at it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I probably won’t play this until next year but can anyone suggest a way / some great games to play to get better at turn based combat. It’s never been my thing but even when I was enjoying it in Yakuza Like a Dragon I was simply terrible at it.
This game + the remake isn't turn based if that's putting you off it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No I’ll definitely play this given I liked Remake. I remember that wasn’t really turn based but a hybrid between real time and turn based so it’s still got a lot of those strategic elements. And my not liking turn based growing up has resulted in just being hopelessly bad at it. Feels like I haven’t really figured out the nuances given I was getting twatted about in Like a Dragon which didn’t seem to be a hardcore turn based expeience either.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
No I’ll definitely play this given I liked Remake. I remember that wasn’t really turn based but a hybrid between real time and turn based so it’s still got a lot of those strategic elements. And my not liking turn based growing up has resulted in just being hopelessly bad at it. Feels like I haven’t really figured out the nuances given I was getting twatted about in Like a Dragon which didn’t seem to be a hardcore turn based expeience either.
Maybe you’re just crap at video games.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
In terms of turn based stuff I'd recommend Dragon Quest and Ni No Kuni,.

Ainu

All turn-based combat systems are different, there's not really a way to get "good" at them in general. The only tip I'd say that goes for almost all turn-based games, is that it's more about preparation than about skill. Equipment, skills, jobs, synergy, protection agains elemental damage and status effects, etc. Most of your work is done before the battle.

Having said that, FFVII remake isn't a great example as there are enough real-time elements for skill to make a big impact as well.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Demo has me hyped.
Lots of fun - only around 90 minutes or so. Material Keeper was a good boss battle (the music :drool:).

Loved the Sephiroth backstory in the original and loved it here too. Glad it’s straight into it from the off.

Did however read you can’t play as Cid or Vincent in this game which would be disappointing.

Irwin99

Demo was good. Some slightly low-res moments which were a bit of an eye sore.

those people standing around Sephiroth pointing their guns at him :lol: You can shoot any moment now guys,...no? ok then.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Its kinda hard to call what it is, its bascially atb but you have to press square to charge the ATB. Its fun in general but some kinda weird cross.

Last edited:

padr81

Supports
Man City
I'd say if you are looking for a way to ease in to classic turn based combat you could do a lot worse than Dragonquest 11 S edition, its on the ps+ catalogue in the middle tier and its as classic jrpg turnbased as turn based can be. It's also a fun game despite being bloated to about 20 hours too long by filler. But its a nice introduction to the genre particulary in terms of difficulty and playing simple menus. Pus its like free at that tier so you can't go wrong. Whereas FF in a series that jumps around and doesn't really know where its at home, Dragon Quest/Warrior have been making essentially the same classic jrpg for 40 years just with a different skin.

If you want something a little more interactive I highly recommend Sea of Stars, its a fun game the story is its weakest part but the lock system in SoS is quite fun although probably more preperation for a game like Chrono Trigger than FF and the combat is a little more interactive. Tis also a prequel to the Ninja Gaiden/kinda Metroidvania rip off The Messenger (also a wonderful game) so the story can feel a bit weird in the final 3rd, dare I say even unfinished.

If you've got that second tier both are free and worth a blast.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Not sure I want to play the demo's as going in completely blind feels better. Though it being the flashback, meh, I really want to see it.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Been quite a while since I paid full price for a game at launch since the new pricing tier but this will probably be one.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Fecking piano minigane. I had 134 greats and 1 good and it's not enough.

It's easier to play that dumb song on an actual piano.

Edit: yes, I did it, feck off piano.

Last edited:

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
Demo has me hyped.
Lots of fun - only around 90 minutes or so. Material Keeper was a good boss battle (the music :drool:).

Loved the Sephiroth backstory in the original and loved it here too. Glad it’s straight into it from the off.

Did however read you can’t play as Cid or Vincent in this game which would be disappointing.
Yeah, Cid and Vincent will only be playable in Part 3 unfortunately.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The person who came up with the forced slow walking scenes should be shot.

Ok, bit too extreme, maybe just gently told that forced slow walking scenes are annoying and stop doing them.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Demo update out now. I can't wait. I'm really scared that it won't come day 1 when I've booked off work though. :lol:

siw2007

Well I’ve beaten both FF7 demo missions. I didn’t like it as much as I’d hoped but it was still pretty fun. The frame rate in the first demo wasn’t particularly great but it seemed to be better on the 2nd go around. I tried it in performance mode but the graphics went blurry.

I found the boss battle on the 2nd demo was really stressful. I hope it’s not that bad on the main game because I don’t want to go through that again.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
What's the best place to order from to ensure you get the game on the release day (or the day before!)? The game is cheaper on Argos than the Amazon version but the delivery date is 29 Feb - 1 March. Oh and I don't give a shit about the Amazon exclusive belt or w/e it is.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Why don't people buy stuff digitally? Guaranteed to arrive on day one every time...

I really liked the second demo. The comvat is great. The dumb VR girl hunt explainer sucks though. Rather immersion breaking.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I've been playing the first one recently, really liked Final Fantasy 16 last year but have found 7 remake far too slow to get going. The cut scenes and dialogue are cringe, does it get better?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I've been playing the first one recently, really liked Final Fantasy 16 last year but have found 7 remake far too slow to get going. The cut scenes and dialogue are cringe, does it get better?
Ff16 was considerably better than the ff7 remake p1 but I think p2 of the remake will be incredible.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Ff16 was considerably better than the ff7 remake p1 but I think p2 of the remake will be incredible.
Good to know, cheers. I do love the FF series but maybe ruined it for myself playing 16 before 7 remake. I agree, rebirth looks brilliant and a bit closer to 16.