Finally...The RedCafe Top 50 Video Games Of All Time - Brought to you by Duffy, not Duffer

Which countdown should we do next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Revan

Assumptionman
Well, to be fair it's a legitimate opinion to consider Half-Life 2 better than Half-Life. They're both among the best games ever.
Well, the second one has better graphics for sure, Alyx Vayne and gravity gun rocks. The first one is better on everything else though.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Well, to be fair it's a legitimate opinion to consider Half-Life 2 better than Half-Life. They're both among the best games ever.
Don't get him started.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Quick paragraphs for the two I voted for so far:

Diablo II
Not considered a classic by many. To those people, I would say "Shut up and go away."
Diablo II was never about an enthralling storyline, or imaginative, creative quests. It wasnt about your character having a unique and defining personality, or the quirky NPCs who accompany you (although Deckard Cain had his moments...).
What Diablo II (and basically the entire series) is about, is loot, and character development. It was addictive to the same level as gambling or smoking. Those repetitive boss-runs, gearing up the perfect magicfind character to optimise your success chances.

And then that moment when that Rare weapon drops... completely unidentified. Limitless potential. Could this be the weapon which has the stats rolled *just* right and instantly catapults you up the trade ladder? Or is it just another "of the Eagle" crap? That moment, that suspense is something I have not yet seen replicated by any game.

Diablo II was a game I invested hundreds, if not thousands of hours in, and yet never even felt like I was even in the top 50% of players in terms of "wealth", and yet it still didnt feel like time wasted. Every Baalrun, every Cow Level, just gradually edging 1 step closer to creating the perfect character.

Dragon Age: Origins
I actually just had a re-runthrough of Dragon Age a couple of weeks ago, and it reminded me of some of the reasons why it is such a fantastic modern RPG. Not an RPG like Diablo. A "proper" RPG - quests, characters, romance, and a very, very epic storyline, which always helps.
Dragon Age I would say doesnt do anything enormously revolutionary. It is in most areas, a pretty standard RPG, however it is just the quality of it - it is polished, sharp and gets most of the fundamentals absolutely bang on. Lots of replay value with different classes and storyline choices, lots of amusing conversations and quests. Dragon Age has some of the best NPC characters I have ever come across - from the sheer dryness and wit of Morrigan, to the reluctant hero in Alistair, to the simple pleasures of Dog (that didnt quite sound right...), and the storyline is incredible.

Basically a modern day equivalent of the Baldurs Gates and Neverwinter Nights of old, and that takes some doing.
Dragon Age II had very big shoes to follow and went down a slightly different route, which didnt sit right with many. I still enjoyed it as a good game in its own right though, and with Dragon Age III on the horizon to conclude the saga, these are well worth a playthrough, especially since you can import your saves as you go through the games.

Revan

Assumptionman
Eh... no it wasn't. Opinions, though. Opinions.
What's that? If opinions are wrong, they should not be allowed, right? (Not neccesarily for this case although everybody above 3.5 years says that Morrowind is the best game in the series).

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
What's that? If opinions are wrong, they should not be allowed, right? (Not neccesarily for this case although everybody above 3.5 years says that Morrowind is the best game in the series).
I know I've played a few of them, can't remember which though, but tbh, didn't think any that I had played were worth the immense hype.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Wonder which one I voted for? I put 3 first, then 2, think I changed it to 1 by the end. :lol:

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
30. Age Of Empires II

Score:
Who Voted: @R.N7 @LoveInTheAsylum @Archie Leach @Scholesgoals @Vitro @Revan @Siorac @narnar @shaggy @Zen86 @niMic @Count Orduck @SmashedHombre @Kaos
Number 1 Votes: 2
Why Is It Here:
Caf Members who voted for this game are asked to submit a short paragraph on why they selected it for their lists.
Number 30!?!?!?! Are you kidding? The greatest game ever made is only 30 in the caf's list? No. I'm not having this. This list is a farce. I demand a recount.

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
Will do the Top 20 tomorrow, think we've enough to keep the discussion going until then.