Finally...The RedCafe Top 50 Video Games Of All Time - Brought to you by Duffy, not Duffer

Which countdown should we do next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Revan

Assumptionman
21. Mass Effect

Score:
Who Voted: @Bebe @devilish @Minkaro @Nickosaur @RedMist99 @Vitro @Siorac @SmashedHombre @Revan @Count Orduck @Nemesis9 @narnar @Vato1979
Number 1 Votes: 2
Why Is It Here:
Caf Members who voted for this game are asked to submit a short paragraph on why they selected it for their lists.
Revue:

Whoever has Mass Effect 2 or Mass Effect 3 higher than this game in their list should not ever talk for games anymore (except in cases when those games are COD). Full stop.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Revue:

Whoever has Mass Effect 2 or Mass Effect 3 higher than this game in their list should not ever talk for games anymore (except in cases when those games are COD). Full stop.
:devil:

Bebe

Revue:

Face it mate, this list represents the ultimate objective ranking of video games. If (who am I kidding, when) ME2 comes out on top, you will have no choice but to accept ME2 as the superior game.

Revan

Assumptionman
Face it mate, this list represents the ultimate objective ranking of video games. If (who am I kidding, when) ME2 comes out on top, you will have no choice but to accept ME2 as the superior game.
No. I accept different opinions, but saying that ME2 is a better ME isn't just a wrong opinion, it's a blasphemy.

Ryan's Beard

Probably doesn't have a career as a comedian
All three Mass Effect games are potential classic BioWare RPGs in a rarely done well setting that were destroyed by EA's gutting of BioWare resulting in three literally very average games.

Ryan's Beard

The thing I disliked most about the entire series was when that idiot woman was drunk on my ship (ME2 maybe?) and there was no option to have her taken off my ship and assigned somewhere else. I'm trying to save the fecking universe. You do not get drunk when you are trying to save the universe. JESUS WOMAN, GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER.

Alock1

The thing I disliked most about the entire series was when that idiot woman was drunk on my ship (ME2 maybe?) and there was no option to have her taken off my ship and assigned somewhere else. I'm trying to save the fecking universe. You do not get drunk when you are trying to save the universe. JESUS WOMAN, GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER.
So, you didn't feck her like everyone else? They gave you an opportunity, man.

Revan

Assumptionman
All three Mass Effect games are potential classic BioWare RPGs in a rarely done well setting that were destroyed by EA's gutting of BioWare resulting in three literally very average games.
:lol: Mass Effect very average game?

The second one is also an excellent game, and one of the most polished games I have ever played.

The third is an abomination.

Revan

Assumptionman
Including all DLC ME2 is better than ME.
You lost the right to give opinions when you voted FF8 over FF6.

On a bit more serious and less cnutish note, how good is Lairs of The Shadow Broken? Arrival was as stupid as Mass Effect 3 but I heard good words about Lairs.

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
This thread is awesome, hilarious and fecking infuriating at the same time. Cheers for the work you've put in Duffy!
No problemo, it's worth it for the countdowns, always a good laugh and ends in at least 2 arguements and half the thread crying when their choice doesn't come out on top :lol:

Revan

Assumptionman
No problemo, it's worth it for the countdowns, always a good laugh and ends in at least 2 arguements and half the thread crying when their choice doesn't come out on top :lol:
Fecking The Last of Us beating my precious Kotor. I am already on mourn and have just ironed and prepared my black suit.

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
Fecking The Last of Us beating my precious Kotor. I am already on mourn and have just ironed and prepared my black suit.
You don't know that for sure yet...it's a close run thing ;)

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
You lost the right to give opinions when you voted FF8 over FF6.

On a bit more serious and less cnutish note, how good is Lairs of The Shadow Broken? Arrival was as stupid as Mass Effect 3 but I heard good words about Lairs.
:( :lol:

It was quite good i thought, a DLC which managed to engage you as much as the main story and the end quest bonuses were a neat feature.

Ryan's Beard

:lol: Mass Effect very average game?

The second one is also an excellent game, and one of the most polished games I have ever played.

The third is an abomination.
Polish does not a great game make. They looked nice. The UI on PCs was a miscarriage. The entire story was linear, choices were empty and meaningless other than the "set piece" choices which tended to force you into unnatural situations just so you could make a GAME CHANGING (tm) Decision. They were OK. The first one really shone when you were just bumming about the galaxy landing on planets with the MAKO. Something they decided to strip from later iterations. It could have been Dragon Age or Baldur's Gate in Space (i.e. it could have been as good as KotOR) but it screamed of AAA "Look at our shiny graphics and experience our set pieces" rather than "we made a good game". Meh

Revan

Assumptionman
Rape doesn't deserve all the bad rep it gets anyway.
Another one on Eboue's ignore list.

You don't know that for sure yet...it's a close run thing ;)

:( :lol:

It was quite good i thought, a DLC which managed to engage you as much as the main story and the end quest bonuses were a neat feature.
Cheers! If I'll ever replay them I'll be sure to do the DLC too.

Polish does not a great game make. They looked nice. The UI on PCs was a miscarriage. The entire story was linear, choices were empty and meaningless other than the "set piece" choices which tended to force you into unnatural situations just so you could make a GAME CHANGING (tm) Decision. They were OK. The first one really shone when you were just bumming about the galaxy landing on planets with the MAKO. Something they decided to strip from later iterations. It could have been Dragon Age or Baldur's Gate in Space (i.e. it could have been as good as KotOR) but it screamed of AAA "Look at our shiny graphics and experience our set pieces" rather than "we made a good game". Meh
I think that the first one is slightly worse than Kotor and slightly better than Dragon Age. It is a near perfect game and I loved every part of it. The story is fecking amazing and I remember in details most of the things although there have been a few years since I played.

The second one was made more for masses rather than for BioWare fans. It was still very good and they did a decent job on combining RPG elements with shooter elements (although I prefer the fighting system of the first one which is totally RPG). They somehow forgot that an RPG game should have a story though, but the other aspects of the game were so good that the player forgets that too. However it is a bit overrated mainly because to a lot of new players that was the most awesome thing they have ever seen simply because they have missed previous great RPG who were too slow and too difficult to play.

I have both of them on my top 10 anyway and if I was a rater I would have given 10/10 to the first one and a strong 9/10 to the second.

Ryan's Beard

To be honest after playing the pre-EA BW games (and even DA to an extent) I was left really unimpressed with Mass Effect. I suppose it is objectively a good game but to me it lacked an awful lot of the things that made BW games outstanding. It had all the same "front end" in terms of character interaction, moral choices etc but it lacked a lot "under the hood" for me. The first one was the only one I'd play again to be honest, and only really to hurtle around random planets like a nutter.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Revue:

Mass Effect 2 was the superior game in every way.

None of them are as good as Dragon Age: Origins.

Revan

Assumptionman
Mass Effect 2 was the superior game in every way.
Yeah, wandering around a race of pro-Repears was so exciting and much more interesting than the mystery and how the story was developed on the first game.

The bugs on which Harbinger took direct control were far better antagonists than Saren Artesius and Sovereign.

And ffs, the entire game had like 3 missions while the others were either getting your companions or doing the loyalty missions (which while good weren't story driven that much).

I also preferred the shooting system of the first one. It is far more difficult and some people don't like it, but when I play an RPG I want to play an RPG. Mass Effect 2 had a simplified Call of Duty shooting system that looks like shooter games but still is more simple. The upgrades were almost non-existent. And the only way to die was if you go to toilet and leave the game running when you were in the middle of enemies. Even there, it was possible that the companions would finish them.

And finally, the best characters on the entire saga were Garrus, Liara and Tali, all introduced on the first game.

I leave @Count Orduck to continue this. He's the only person who gets offended more than me when people claim this kind of nonsense.

Revan

Assumptionman
To be honest after playing the pre-EA BW games (and even DA to an extent) I was left really unimpressed with Mass Effect. I suppose it is objectively a good game but to me it lacked an awful lot of the things that made BW games outstanding. It had all the same "front end" in terms of character interaction, moral choices etc but it lacked a lot "under the hood" for me. The first one was the only one I'd play again to be honest, and only really to hurtle around random planets like a nutter.
Dragon Age is a newer game than Mass Effect. It had stayed mroe to the roots though, I agree.

What about Jade Empire? I liked that game but I think that it is terribly overrated. It got 30th position on ign top RPG games while DA:O wasn't there at all. That's lunacity. I used this example to say that not everything before EA was that great. Anyway the quality suffered most only on the last Mass Effect and Dragon Age games. Hoping that the hat-trick won't happen with Inquisition.

Revan

Assumptionman
I nearly fell asleep when I played Mass Effect 2.

Just though I'd share my highly detailed analysis.
Likely by the time you wake up the game was finished because your two companions killed everything. If you had slept a bit more they would have gone ans single handed destroy all the reapers.

Ryan's Beard

@Revan I played DA before Mass Effect. It appealed much more to me at the time. I only had a skeg at Mass Effect cos I was bored one summer. Jade Empire's alright, never really got into it. Not everything before EA was good, no, but things that have suffered post EA have suffered in a very stereotypically "post EA" way. A focus on looking like a good game, rather than being one.

Alock1

I nearly fell asleep when I played Mass Effect 2.

Just though I'd share my highly detailed analysis.
You were never going to like a game with no jump button Olly.

Roll doesn't cut it. AMIRITE?