Florian Wirtz | Leverkusen player

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Too simplistic to think he'll just follow Xabi to his next club?
If Xabi goes to a top club and Wirtz wants to make the next step at the same time, I'm sure it will be a factor. I mean, Wirtz plans his career very carefully and knows that a transfer always poses a risk. Following a coach in which system you already excelled and who knows how to get the best out of you is a very strong argument. But there are lots and lots of other factors as well.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
If Xabi goes to a top club and Wirtz wants to make the next step at the same time, I'm sure it will be a factor. I mean, Wirtz plans his career very carefully and knows that a transfer always poses a risk. Following a coach in which system you already excelled and who knows how to get the best out of you is a very strong argument. But there are lots and lots of other factors as well.
You think he can step up in a way Havertz hasn't quite been able to at a CL challenging club?

Have to say aswell to me it's a mystery Germany are looking so average with potentially such an exceptional range of central midfield options.

Wirtz and Musiala generational talents and you've still got good experience knocking around with Kimmich and Gundogan so I wouldn't quite write off Germany in a home euros like so many are.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
You think he can step up in a way Havertz hasn't quite been able to at a CL challenging club?

Have to say aswell to me it's a mystery Germany are looking so average with potentially such an exceptional range of central midfield options.

Wirtz and Musiala generational talents and you've still got good experience knocking around with Kimmich and Gundogan so I wouldn't quite write off Germany in a home euros like so many are.
Havertz was very good for us but Wirtz is hands down the best player I've seen at Leverkusen and arguably the best player in the league already. They're very, very far apart.

But transfers are always a risk. Sometimes a footballer inexplicably plays much worse after a change of clubs. However, I think Wirtz is as save a bet as it gets. Partly just because of his sheer quality but also because we currently are playing like a real top team with lots of possession and constantly facing parked busses. He also doesn't come across as somebody who crumbles under pressure. He's pretty relentless and becomes more motivated when we've conceded a goal in stark contrast to Havertz who could go into hiding a bit.

Regarding Germany, yes, I'm also more positive than the average fan over here :) Wirtz and Musiala are ace and the rest of the team isn't too bad either.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
What does Xabi have to do with F1 anyways?!?!?

LilienFan

Supports
Darmstadt

Since 2017 Germany with Kimmich in defensive midfield 23W-13D-13L. Opposition was mediocre at best with the usual qualifying minions.

Germany without Kimmich during that time 7W-5D-1L against top teams like Spain, Switzerland, Turkey, Netherlands, France (2x), Czech Republic, Mexico (2x), USA, Israel.

You want to know where the problem is for Germany. It´s wearing the arm band. It´s like having Lahm in defensive midfield during the World Cup 2014. Except that Lahm was arguably the best RB in the world and there are no Schweinsteiger, Khedira and Kroos as defensive midfield options.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Two sublime assists tonight, a through ball from his own half and a cross, both perfectly executed and very difficult to do.

Yet another generational talent playing for a lesser club not being linked with United :(

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
After the Paqueta signing breaking down, I think City will go all in for him. Providing they're not in the conference next season.

But the big question mark on the horizon for them is how to replace De Bruyne, who is getting more injury prone but still very important to them. Perhaps the solution may have presented itself without them needing to suffer for a year or two, which would be typical of their luck really.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
After the Paqueta signing breaking down, I think City will go all in for him. Providing they're not in the conference next season.

But the big question mark on the horizon for them is how to replace De Bruyne, who is getting more injury prone but still very important to them. Perhaps the solution may have presented itself without them needing to suffer for a year or two, which would be typical of their luck really.
Wouldn't WIrtz be exactly that, a De Bruyne successor?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
His father was quoted as follows yesterday:

"It will take some time before he reaches a point where he consistently delivers these performances. Only then can we talk about superlatives and higher qualifications. Florian has a contract with Leverkusen until 2027. That will roughly be the timeframe he will spend in Leverkusen."

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
He will be very expensive. It is better for clubs that are interested in his service wait until the summer of 2025.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
His father was quoted as follows yesterday:
Now that’s how you handle someone you care about! Instead of jumping feet first into the snake pit, you make sure they’re as ready as they ever will be for the move.

Of course, someone like Wirtz is earmarked differently, and barring injury, is one of the blessed few who will be a dead certainty to go to a giant, but that ready when ready mantra has really seen a fall and so many young, potentially special players crash and burn via poor career moves and management, which is a shame to see.

It also sounds like Wirtz could be one who isn’t burned out and ruined by 30, if he’s being guided optimally, which is refreshing.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
It's the hope that kills you. :wenger:
Are you speaking of all the Bayern fans who are already looking forward to seeing Alonso and Wirtz at their club next sesaon? ;)

Now that’s how you handle someone you care about! Instead of jumping feet first into the snake pit, you make sure they’re as ready as they ever will be for the move.

Of course, someone like Wirtz is earmarked differently, and barring injury, is one of the blessed few who will be a dead certainty to go to a giant, but that ready when ready mantra has really seen a fall and so many young, potentially special players crash and burn via poor career moves and management, which is a shame to see.

It also sounds like Wirtz could be one who isn’t burned out and ruined by 30, if he’s being guided optimally, which is refreshing.
Personally, I think he's more than ready. He already has an enormous bottom level and plays very consistent. His attitude is also excellent. But I won't complain to see him play for us obviously ;) If both he and Alonso stay, I think he can challenge for titles even without moving to a bigger club.

The White Pele

In an ideal world we would have adequately addressed our issues in central defence and central midfield by now and could be looking to go big for Wirtz as a replacement and long-term upgrade of Bruno. Alas, the old weaknesses in the heart of the team remain the same and won’t be cheap to fix so I don’t think Wirtz is really up for discussion in the near future.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal

Yup, so many examples of young players making the wrong move about now and derailing their careers.

I also don't think there is a great fit for him at the moment, no big club jumps out as the place that would clearly be right for him to spend the next 4-5 years. Bayern is in flux at all levels, Barcelona is fecked financially, Real is already stacked with young talents in similar positions, City has a lot of uncertainty with the charges and Guardiola's future, Liverpool has a lot of uncertainty moving on from Klopp and with big players likely leaving, who knows what United will look like in the Ratcliffe era, Chelsea is currently a mess, etc.

Nothing wrong with waiting a year or two and seeing how the landscape of elite clubs develops.

mu4c_20le

Means nothing. When Xabi goes the team will drop a level, and he will want to go.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Means nothing. When Xabi goes the team will drop a level, and he will want to go.
I wouldn't rule out that Alonso leaves but think it is highly, highly unlikely. Rolfes confirmed that yesterday again. However, the chance of Wirtz leaving in 2024 is even more unlikely and basically non-existent at this stage. That I would rule out completely now.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Would be great for us as we basically have no chance of signing him this summer, maybe it'll change in a year or two.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Not if he is advised well. He should not be leaving till his 22 unless he has hit Bellingham levels of good before then. Right now game time is essential to his hitting the upper echelon of players with his kinda talent. Not competition at a European giant with established stars.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Apparently he’s a package deal with Alonso. Xabi wants to bring him to Liverpool with him.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Apparently he’s a package deal with Alonso. Xabi wants to bring him to Liverpool with him.
Xabi wants to go to Bayern, so that's awkward

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Not if he is advised well. He should not be leaving till his 22 unless he has hit Bellingham levels of good before then. Right now game time is essential to his hitting the upper echelon of players with his kinda talent. Not competition at a European giant with established stars.
Wirtz 23/24 is streets ahead of Bellingham 22/23. Bellingham has improved massively this season, though.

Wirtz 23/24 is streets ahead of Bellingham 22/23. Bellingham has improved massively this season, though.
All Bellingham has done is play in role that consistently allows him to score. He has been elite about 2 seasons performance wise. IMO this is Wirtz first truly elite season. For his kinda role he needs to cement it as the norm before risking things at big clubs with fierce competition. Lever is perfect for him to do so.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
All Bellingham has done is play in role that consistently allows him to score. He has been elite about 2 seasons performance wise. IMO this is Wirtz first truly elite season. For his kinda role he needs to cement it as the norm before risking things at big clubs with fierce competition. Lever is perfect for him to do so.
Nah, when fit Wirtz has always been better than Bellingham while he was at BVB. Wirtz isn't playing much different to the previous years, he's just in a better team now. But Bellingham has matured immensely this season not only in terms of scoring. As a quick example, his passing accuracy went up from 82% to 88% despite playing in a more advanced role. I think Bellingham was a bit overrated at Dortmund but he is now living up to the hype.

I've seen at least 30 full matches of Dortmund with Bellingham in the starting line up by the way :) I've never seen a game as bad as Bellinghamvs Sevilla at home from Wirtz for indtance.

Nah, when fit Wirtz has always been better than Bellingham while he was at BVB. Wirtz isn't playing much different to the previous years, he's just in a better team now. But Bellingham has matured immensely this season not only in terms of scoring. As a quick example, his passing accuracy went up from 82% to 88% despite playing in a more advanced role. I think Bellingham was a bit overrated at Dortmund but he is now living up to the hype.

I've seen at least 30 full matches of Dortmund with Bellingham in the starting line up by the way :) I've never seen a game as bad as Bellinghamvs Sevilla at home from Wirtz for indtance.
Neither have. :D My main point is though for Wirtz's role this has been his first truly elite season. He should not ruin his momentum by going where he won't be guaranteed to play weekly. At least for the reminder of his contract. Then he will have the pick of Europe's best to chose to head to. As a German fan am desperate for him to establish himself like Belingham has at a certified giant.

LilienFan

Supports
Darmstadt
Comments like that seem utterly confusing to me. He´s 24 years old. He has already played 46 CL games and scored the winning goal in a CL final. What exactly qualifies somebody as good enough to play for a CL challenging club.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I think Bellingham was a bit overrated at Dortmund but he is now living up to the hype.
Which kind of means that he wasn't overrated... ;)

Btw, congrats on the title. Not a big fan of your club, but it is well-deserved. I hope Xabi and Wirtz stay for at least another season.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Which kind of means that he wasn't overrated... ;)

Btw, congrats on the title. Not a big fan of your club, but it is well-deserved. I hope Xabi and Wirtz stay for at least another season.
Don't jinx it ;)

Neither have. :D My main point is though for Wirtz's role this has been his first truly elite season. He should not ruin his momentum by going where he won't be guaranteed to play weekly. At least for the reminder of his contract. Then he will have the pick of Europe's best to chose to head to. As a German fan am desperate for him to establish himself like Belingham has at a certified giant.
I think the question is what you define as a truly elite season. IMO his last two were elite as well but he only got two play half of them due to his ACL. The step to a giant club is always a risk since even proven Ballon D'Or winners have sometimes failed. You never know but I think Wirtz is as sure a bet as it gets :)

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Was voted player of the month for the third time this season (Harry Kane still at 0 :D). Bundesliga.de provided some interesting stats for February on that occasion as well:

- fourth youngest player to have 100 Bundesliga appearances despite his ACL
- ran 12.3 km (7.6 miles) and made 36 sprints oer 90 minutes
- most duels (105) of his team despite being an attacking midfielder

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Xabi wants to go to Bayern, so that's awkward
But Bayern have not to much money to spend at the moment according to their CEO - or at least they are not prepared to spend it, and Leverkusen is said to be asking 35m euro in compensation in anyone wants to "sign" X. Alonso before his contract expires, and the press in Germany is reporting that Leverkusen will break the bank this summer (as much as they can) for X. Alonso so that he can reinforce the few weak links and they believe this is their chance to get back to the top like they were about 20 years ago when they beat us in semi finals and then lost to Real Madrid in the CL final when Zidane made that historical volley goal with his left foot.