Football in the olden days (pre-1990's) was crap, discuss.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Would you rather watch LVG's United or United from 1993/94.. or Busby's United 1967.

Or to make it easier, Mourinho's United v Fergies 2006-2008 vintage.

8 years difference.. has there been a progression, an evolution? Is the football played by Jose's side, so futuristic that it is incomprehensible that anyone would yearn for the good old days of 2008.
8 years isn't mind blowing time frame. Largely a lot of the players are still around...

I'd take LVG's shit approach over Busby's nice approach. I didn't actually think of management if I'm honest. Not really bothered. I am talking about football in general, if a manager wants to play shit on a stick football with world class players that's his problem.

You know, I'm already giving up on this thread, it's obvious old people are going to say old football was amazing and young people are going to say this generation is best.

Only plus sides (to me) for old generation is they were actual men, harder tackles, and some of them were complete mental cases.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Is the football in 2017 better quality than the football we saw in 2008 across the spectrum.
2008 XI:

Casillas
Maicon - Ferdinand - Vidic - Cole
Xavi - Senna - Scholes
Messi - Torres - Ronaldo

2017 XI:

Neuer
Carvajal - Ramos - Boateng - Alaba
Vidal - Kante - Thiago
Messi - Lewandowski - Neymar

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

Some of the tackles. This is one of my favourites. Two men try to hack Cannigia down, the third makes sure he gets the job done. In this day and age that'd be such a clear red card there'd be no debate. Here the commentator says "I'm sure the referee will do something about that".

He gets sent off, but only because of a second yellow. Lols.

This is what attackers had to deal with.

Quality.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Back in the day the players were ordinary people and it was about scoring not keeping a clean sheet. It was so much more entertaining. If the players of old had the same benefits as those of today they would be just as good. Entertainmentwise it was so much better so to me it was better in the old days:)
Each to their own I guess. I started watching in the 80's, and even then the majority of games were muddy sloggish affairs with lots of brutal tackling and the very occasional flashes of lovely play. Didn't care back then of course because there was nothing better to compare it to, but I can't even imagine having to go back to that 4-4-2, hack em down, long ball to the big man stuff.

U99ted

2008 XI:

Casillas
Xavi - Senna - Scholes
Messi - Torres - Xavi

2017 XI:

Neuer
Carvajal - Ramos - Boateng - Alaba
Vidal - Kante - Thiago
Messi - Lewandowski - Neymar
Xavi in the same team twice?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
So to me these guys like Bobby, Pele etc are just a big yawn.
At first I thought that you were wumming, but looking back at your posts... wow.

edit: interesting, that you apparently forgot how it went the first time

I've decided to reevaluate my thoughts on SBC.

As some posters already pointed out you can't compare generations. Some of the things I said were a bit strong and I take that back. However, I still believe players are being unfairly treated on this board. Just respect the players and each other.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
8 years isn't mind blowing time frame. Largely a lot of the players are still around...

I'd take LVG's shit approach over Busby's nice approach. I didn't actually think of management if I'm honest. Not really bothered. I am talking about football in general, if a manager wants to play shit on a stick football with world class players that's his problem.

You know, I'm already giving up on this thread, it's obvious old people are going to say old football was amazing and young people are going to say this generation is best.

Only plus sides (to me) for old generation is they were actual men, harder tackles, and some of them were complete mental cases.
Im 55 and I prefer todays football.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
2008 XI:

Casillas
Xavi - Senna - Scholes
Messi - Torres - Xavi
Xavi
Xavi - Xavi - Xavi - Xavi
Xavi - Xavi - Xavi
Xavi - Xavi - Xavi

Can always bring Xavi off the bench if you need to switch things up.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Each to their own I guess. I started watching in the 80's, and even then the majority of games were muddy sloggish affairs with lots of brutal tackling and the very occasional flashes of lovely play. Didn't care back then of course because there was nothing better to compare it to, but I can't even imagine having to go back to that 4-4-2, hack em down, long ball to the big man stuff.
Did you ever bother to watch Liverpool in the early 80"s. No long ball from them back then and in general the best sides didnt simply lump it long anyway.

ti vu

So we know the reason of this thread. (Whisper) Chelsea didn't do so well back in the day so let erase history

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
Just before the Euro 2016, German TV showed full replays of the Euro 1996 semifinal England - Germany and the final Germany - Czech Republic. Boy, what a sad state of football. These two games definitely support @Kentonio's hypothesis.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
So we know the reason of this thread. (Whisper) Chelsea didn't do so well back in the day so let erase history
Correct me if im wrong, but there's usually two teams on the pitch not just one. The quality was just poor back then.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Hard to compare when I was just a kid on the 80's but I think OP has some good points.

However there are some great aspects of the game that have been lost as well as gained. It was more of a man's game (no sexism meant) being the major one.

ti vu

Correct me if im wrong, but there's usually two teams on the pitch not just one. The quality was just poor back then.
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Plenty of teams who played good under bad condition back in the day. More competitive across the leagues. If anything I expected more from today football given better condition. So many teams stay in the past despite the said condition improvement.

Football now is more orthodox, may look easy on the eye for those who didn't really poured passion in the old days; but in the other way, football is less passion & over regulated nowadays. Attacker were given more lee way = defending team have to adapt & put more men behind the ball. The majority of attackers had become one dimensional.

rpitchfo

I think we can all agree that the standard of goalkeeping on average has improved a lot!

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
More competitive across the leagues.
How is it more competitive? The 80's was Liverpool winning repeatedly, the 90's was United, today there's 5-6 teams that could realistically win the title next year.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Yes! Today's football has won, unless we now find a young poster who prefers old football :/ then back to square one.
I'm 12 and I think football reached a level it has never seen again in the 1890s.

Great teams, great players and nearly everyone had proper facial hair.

ti vu

How is it more competitive? The 80's was Liverpool winning repeatedly, the 90's was United, today there's 5-6 teams that could realistically win the title next year.
Look at other league. You seem to be fixed on only English league and generalize world football (not only in Europe) in narrow view. Let remember English teams were in exiled leading to the drop in quality between 80s & early 90s.

When L'pool were in their pomp, they're a force in Europe too; not the L'pool nowadays. Their footbal was very good & they didn't have free run in Europe.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I'm 12 and I think football reached a level it has never seen again in the 1890s.

Great teams, great players and nearly everyone had proper facial hair.
Disappointingly, not as true as it should be. :(

*Edit* What the hell is Steven Gerrard doing in this photo? :mad:

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Look at other league. You seem to be fixed on only English league and generalize world football (not only in Europe) in narrow view. Let remember English teams were in exiled leading to the drop in quality between 80s & early 90s.

When L'pool were in their pomp, they're a force in Europe too; not the L'pool nowadays. Their footbal was very good & they didn't have free run in Europe.
Well you see that's due to a combination of not really caring about other countries domestic leagues and hating Liverpool with a passion. Putting the two together, perhaps now my previous posts make more sense. ;)

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
At first I thought that you were wumming, but looking back at your posts... wow.

Well, what can I tell you, I took it back again. Time will smoke out some of the old farts who like attacking people like me with new ideas. Last time around I didn't feel like being on my own and going up against one of the clubs legends. Feels better having a shield infront of me when I say how I honestly feel.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Remember the squads were also much smaller back in the day, the first XI's didn't change very much, no rotation - also nearly all the players in the First Division were from the British Isles.

The pitches were bad and the fitness levels were not near what they are today plus the ball weighing half a ton when wet but having watched players like Best and Charlton performing as they did under those conditions it was fantastic.

Went regularly and saw many exciting matches and loads of goals . The first 1st Division match I went to was Spurs 5 Villa 5.
One of the most enjoyable non-United matches I went to was Chelsea 2 Southampton 6 :)

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

I thought about trying to understand that John Wayne analogy then I conclude feck it :lol:

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Remember the squads were also much smaller back in the day, the first XI's didn't change very much, no rotation - also nearly all the players in the First Division were from the British Isles.

The pitches were bad and the fitness levels were not near what they are today plus the ball weighing half a ton when wet but having watched players like Best and Charlton performing as they did under those conditions it was fantastic.

Went regularly and saw many exciting matches and loads of goals . The first 1st Division match I went to was Spurs 5 Villa 5.
One of the most enjoyable non-United matches I went to was Chelsea 2 Southampton 6 :)
All true, and players had to endure crunching tackles every match.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
I agree it was pretty shit, although I've only watched those old matches which are shown on sky sports or sky one, it just looks really clumsy.

Those who say Pele and co would have been worldies today with the pitches and diets... How do you know? Would they have had the dedication?

Comparing the 2 is difficult, but if you had the choice of modern football to watch week in and week out, or classic football week in and week out (as in that style but all live obviously) which would you choose?

I never really get why Pele and maradonna are always in these super dream teams. It's like asking if you would make a car out of the materials today because they're the best that we have ever had, or make a car out of parts from the past because they were the best at their time.

Game has evolved too much to say with confidence the old era would outplay the new generation. All we can go off is what we have seen and you could probably make a highlight reel of an average player in their position from this generation, and a highlight video of the old generation and I'd say the new kids would look much better.

40 years time people will be discussing this again and messi and ronaldo might look like bang average players.
Would Messi & Ronaldo have reached the heights they have by playing regularly on sub-standard pitches & having to run with a football at their feet that sometimes weighed heavier than an obese cat ? & that's not to mention playing against defenders who's only punishment for decapitation was a yellow card.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
If Fat Wayne could make a career out of the modern game despite lacking discipline or gym ethic .. what makes it impossible for Pele?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Would Messi & Ronaldo have reached the heights they have by playing regularly on sub-standard pitches & having to run with a football at their feet that sometimes weighed heavier than an obese cat ? & that's not to mention playing against defenders who's only punishment for decapitation was a yellow card.
That's not mentioning the fact that Messi wouldn't have made it as a professional footballer (or even became a healthy fully formed adult) without the HGH injections. Just to make it clear it's only for the sake of comparison, I don't consider HGH use controversial in his particular case, as some do.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
All true, and players had to endure crunching tackles every match.

I love the way the poor fecker is unconscious so they immediately roll him onto his back and leave him there while the 'physio' digs around in his bag. :houllier::lol:

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I never understood people who think vicious tackling = better football. I can go to the park and see hard tackling I watch professionals for the skill.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
What rise?

I guess I was wrong about it being a steady increase. But, the FT% this season is the highest it has ever been. And at this point guys like Dwight Howard, DeAndre Jordan and Rajon Rondo are basically the only guys left who can't shoot.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
It's like young'uns today saying the Beatles, Elvis, Rolling Stones etc. were crap cause they didn't have MIDI, synths, digital recording studios and sequencing software. Also black and white films were rubbish as they had no special effects and modern production techniques.

It's all relative. I'll never forget the Arsenal v United FA Cup final in '79 when we lost 3-2 to some late, late goals. You always make the most of what you have at the time. It's called progress.

Gopher Brown

I thought OP had a good argument there, and it's hard to disagree with him.

What I will add is that I find it slightly cringing when people select 'Edwards' or 'Charlton' in threads asking 'If you could bring a former player into the team, who would it be?' without having the slightest clue about how good they were - relying on the received wisdom of old man who had a very limited comparison.

It's likely that someone like Tom Cleverly would dick all over Duncan Edwards, what with the improvements in coaching, psychology, diet, lifestyle etc.

Eddy_JukeZ

I think that the OP makes some good points. I wouldn't say it was crap in a nutshell though.

In general, people are nostalgic with a lot of things. I think it'd be far-fetched to say the standard of football hasn't improved. Consider the advances society has made especially in regards to sports and football itself, it's just normal.

If you ignore context, then yes football before the 90s or 2000s was not a very high standard. It may give off an amateurish vibe. Context is important. Consider the football boots, the footballs, the pitches then. The lifestyle. Medicine and accommodations available. All of that play a factor.

I think implying that players like Cruyff, Pele, Beckenbauer, etc would struggle now is also far-fetched.

This is why I always steer away from comparisons between the modern greats and greats of the past. Football has evolved and it's hard to argue which side would have been affected. Messi playing back then or Maradona playing now. Plus one can't use stats in their argument, because of the variables in football. And stats themselves aren't like basketball.