Football Jargon

SirAnderson

Don't know if it's just me, but I've seen a lot of "new" or rather popular football terminology being used of late that just gets passed on to the next poster and the next, sometimes because it sounds clever using it, while sometimes not actually knowing what it really means.

The latest ones being banded around are:

1. Generational talent

2. Press resistant

3. His, our their "xG" (this one is not so much latest, but used frequently by some who don't quite know how to use it properly)

4. World class (more outdated now since everyone and his mum has been world class before turning back to shite. The new in word is no1 on my list)

5. Double Pivot. (It's Paul Pogba's second name apparently)

There are probably more, maybe list some you've come across recently.
Would be nice to put definitions on these so when people want to sound clever they can learn what it actually means or how to use it before they spout it all over.

Do tell.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Generational talent is a player who is one of the very best in his generation. There are few players as good as him. Mbappé is a generational talent.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Feel like too much was read into my ranking system :lol: Wasn't too be taken too seriously.

I think words like this will naturally just progress and appear. Language is constantly evolving and that's one of the beautiful things about it. I think XG is different as it's not really jargon, rather a different way of looking at things.

SirAnderson

Feel like too much was read into my ranking system :lol: Wasn't too be taken too seriously.

I think words like this will naturally just progress and appear. Language is constantly evolving and that's one of the beautiful things about it. I think XG is different as it's not really jargon, rather a different way of looking at things.
Nah what you did was find, but just fell into what is popular these days. :D

But I hear you on xG, but like I say, people use it to sound clever instead of a means of looking at things. It's not an analysis, it's a statement for some. His xG is great, world class, buy him! Kinda of use.

Logit

Low block - as soon as Jose Mourinho said it on Sky Sports it became the go-to buzzword for armchair managers

Nickelodeon

Generational talent is a player who is one of the very best in his generation. There are few players as good as him. Mbappé is a generational talent.
You're right. But it seems that as a term, this didn't exist before Mbappe. Now every other sentence, particularly those involving transfer discussion, involves it.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
You're right. But it seems that as a term, this didn't exist before Mbappe. Now every other sentence, particularly those involving transfer discussion, involves it.
It should only be used for a select few players. Less than 10, maybe even 5 players in a generation are generational talents.

SirAnderson

Another one during the LVG error (not to be confused with Era) was:
PHILOSOPHY :lol:
Fortunately it came with a negative connotation so people stayed clear of it. Otherwise it would have been all over.

Nickelodeon

Don't know if it's just me, but I've seen a lot of "new" or rather popular football terminology being used of late that just gets passed on to the next poster and the next, sometimes because it sounds clever using it, while sometimes not actually knowing what it really means.

The latest ones being banded around are:

1. Generational talent

2. Press resistant

3. His, our their "xG" (this one is not so much latest, but used frequently by some who don't quite know how to use it properly)

4. World class (more outdated now since everyone and his mum has been world class before turning back to shite. The new in word is no1 on my list)

5. Double Pivot. (It's Paul Pogba's second name apparently)

There are probably more, maybe list some you've come across recently.
Would be nice to put definitions on these so when people want to sound clever they can learn what it actually means or how to use it before they spout it all over.

Do tell.
In addition to this, I'm not particularly a fan of midfielders being used as numbers. Oh he's #6 but can play as an #8 but definitely not as a #10. Call me old fashioned, but in the time of Fergie, the central midfielders were described by their playing style. And that is what I prefer. For example, the current #6 doesn't describe anything. Matic is a #6 but so was Pirlo and so was Carrick and they are all pretty different players.

acnumber9

They’re phrases people on here use to make it seem like they’re dead smart and know loads about football. They’re the type of people who pick a really obscure foreign talent they’ve never actually watched and bore everyone about how they’re the answer to our problems.

On reflection I may have used they’re, too many times.

SirAnderson

In addition to this, I'm not particularly a fan of midfielders being used as numbers. Oh he's #6 but can play as an #8 but definitely not as a #10. Call me old fashioned, but in the time of Fergie, the central midfielders were described by their playing style. And that is what I prefer. For example, the current #6 doesn't describe anything. Matic is a #6 but so was Pirlo and so was Carrick and they are all pretty different players.
Oh yeah, nice one. It's seems to be used a bit less maybe? I know there is that hold conversation of the #10 role becoming outdated and there is no longer a place for a our #10. It's a bit weird yeah.
Its like if they use those numbers the sound better or come across as knowing the intricacies of those positions :lol:

Scarecrow

Having a week off
As if there weren't enough types of central midfielders already, recently we've added numbers to the mix.

"He's a typical 8, you can't play him at the 6" - "No, he's neither. He's a pivot / DLP hybrid and playing him at the 8 would be stupid. Obviously".

Nickelodeon

Oh yeah, nice one. It's seems to be used a bit less maybe? I know there is that hold conversation of the #10 role becoming outdated and there is no longer a place for a our #10. It's a bit weird yeah.
Its like if they use those numbers the sound better or come across as knowing the intricacies of those positions :lol:
I actually feel that ever since we got Pogba, people, not just posters here but pundits and managers too, have gone crazy over which number is Pogba's position.

ShinjiNinja26

Thankfully @golden_blunder manged to nip 'clutch' in the bud.

Looks like you have a bit more work to do though.

What even is a Quarterback?

GB, you know what to do!
I’m assuming it’s a name given to a deep lying playmaker, someone who sits back and dictates the tempo of a game but it’s a fecking stupid phrase that has no place in football, I hate it!

Silas

"Natural striker" has popped up a lot recently.