Gaming Football Manager 2009

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
Just started my first United game on this.

Just into Feb and i'm third a couple of points behind Liverpool and Arsenal. Anderson is my top scorer and I've signed Palombo who's been sensational, and Alan Smith, who's tried hard.

Also pushing Fabio and Rafael through, Rafael starts a lot of games now and Fabio gets most of his time in the cup matches.

HsJ

I feel like getting my old championship manager 99' out and having a go on that with the treble winning team.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
I had a weird version of that. It was the squad for the season 99/00. Bosnich in goal and all that jazz, yet it was the season 98/99. Yorke hadn't made his debut, yet Schmeichel was already gone. It was all very strange, i always remember the first two things i used to do were sell Cruyff and buy Maldini for 7.75 million.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
its ridiculous. Bojan has been on an incredible scoring spree, getting 20 in 18 games, and been insanely good for the last year.

my defence has the least goals conceded worldwide, my midfield consists of three players widely regarded as the best in the world (Veloso, De Rossi, Fabregas), and my attack is along the lines of Bojan, Rooney, Ronaldo and Messi (in a 4-2-3-1).

Yet still Arsenal beat me, and at the end of the year, not one of my players wins "player of the year" for their respective positions. Bojan didnt even come within the top 3. Ludicrous.
I alway laugh when people complain at starting the game with united and losing to Arsenal who most people seem to think are indestructable, they are anything but and it just goes to show how FM sometimes imitates real life.

Arsenal Are possibly of the big four the easiest side to beat, I'm a season and a half into my totenham game and even with a club of this stature I think in about four encouters i've won 3 lost 1. If i played with united this would be a perfect record i'm sure. Here's how you play Arsenal:

(1) play 4-5-1 United do this in real life when we play them so why should FM be any different.

(2) play Narrow again this is how united play Arsenal in real life so just follow suit. Arsenal funnel the majority of their attacks through the centre of the pitch this will stop most of them.

(3) play on the counter attack again as you know this is how we play against arsenal lore them in and sucker punch as in real life on FM they have a defence that is highly subseptible to counter attack especally if you have a main striker with good intelligence(movement off the Ball) and decent pace. This should be berbatov with Rooney and ronnie(assuming you kept him) on either wing.

(4) use special instructions on every player in their team baring the goal keeper and 2 CB, closing down for all, hard tackling on all and show onto wrong foot for all.

(5) you can especailly at home use an attacking mentality but make sure you full back aren't on constant forward runs, make sure you play a high tempo so you can launch quick counters and make sure your front man(providing his has the strength) is holding up the ball at home and is mixed on forward runs, crossing, through balls shoting(providing he has a shot on him).

I hope this helps because alot of people seem to thing Arsenal are unbeatable ob FM whereas they just aren't looking at it in the right way, sides in real life play counter attacking football against arsenal and defend narrow as they don't use the flanks often, those having trouble with arsenal should do the same.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
except that in FM, in the year 2017, Arsenal dont play with quite the same players or tactics as in real life in 2009.

Even if they did, it still wouldnt work.

zain

Believe
I alway laugh when people complain at starting the game with united and losing to Arsenal who most people seem to think are indestructable, they are anything but and it just goes to show how FM sometimes imitates real life.

Arsenal Are possibly of the big four the easiest side to beat, I'm a season and a half into my totenham game and even with a club of this stature I think in about four encouters i've won 3 lost 1. If i played with united this would be a perfect record i'm sure. Here's how you play Arsenal:

(1) play 4-5-1 United do this in real life when we play them so why should FM be any different.

(2) play Narrow again this is how united play Arsenal in real life so just follow suit. Arsenal funnel the majority of their attacks through the centre of the pitch this will stop most of them.

(3) play on the counter attack again as you know this is how we play against arsenal lore them in and sucker punch as in real life on FM they have a defence that is highly subseptible to counter attack especally if you have a main striker with good intelligence(movement off the Ball) and decent pace. This should be berbatov with Rooney and ronnie(assuming you kept him) on either wing.

(4) use special instructions on every player in their team baring the goal keeper and 2 CB, closing down for all, hard tackling on all and show onto wrong foot for all.

(5) you can especailly at home use an attacking mentality but make sure you full back aren't on constant forward runs, make sure you play a high tempo so you can launch quick counters and make sure your front man(providing his has the strength) is holding up the ball at home and is mixed on forward runs, crossing, through balls shoting(providing he has a shot on him).

I hope this helps because alot of people seem to thing Arsenal are unbeatable ob FM whereas they just aren't looking at it in the right way, sides in real life play counter attacking football against arsenal and defend narrow as they don't use the flanks often, those having trouble with arsenal should do the same.
I'll agree with everything on there except the front man holding up the ball thingy..

That'll only slow down your counter attacks and allow the opposition, i.e Arsenal to regroup.

Typically do this away from home..

This is what I do when counter attacking and it works a charm. Make sure your front man and wingers are your target men JUST for that one game, and keep the target man supply on run onto ball...your team's passing bar on direct and slightly under long. Obviously make sure your front men/wingers have tonnes of pace, Ronaldo/Rooney...

Play a deep defensive line......

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
I'll agree with everything on there except the front man holding up the ball thingy..

That'll only slow down your counter attacks and allow the opposition, i.e Arsenal to regroup.

Typically do this away from home..

This is what I do when counter attacking and it works a charm. Make sure your front man and wingers are your target men JUST for that one game, and keep the target man supply on run onto ball...your team's passing bar on direct and slightly under long. Obviously make sure your front men/wingers have tonnes of pace, Ronaldo/Rooney...

Play a deep defensive line......
Glad somebody knows whats what, I do still use the hold ball for target man because I have very fast wingers and an intelligent forward(adriano) so he at times drops deep and plays diagnal through balls over the top to the wingers to play them in on goal, but yes if i didn't have adriano and had a striker with more pace I would play direct, run onto ball without holding up ball.

Flying Fox

This is what I see after every game, physio reports because I'm getting 5 or 6 injuries every time.

I'd say your training is pretty suspect.

Have a look at it and maybe ease the load, if possible.

I've noticed that happening with Jonás and Toulalan a lot in my Newcastle save. Getting on my nerves.

UBERScholes

I'd find it flattering if someone hard rubbed agai
Think the most injuries I've had during a game is 5, although they were all niggling injuries and nothing serious. It's annoying though, lucky to get away with just a couple of them per game usually.

Strange though because I don't get similar injury problems in some other leagues. Like I'm managing Spartak Moscow after managing Red Star, and either in Serbia or Russia I haven't had any problems with injuries. I always end up subbing off fit and healthy players just to give youngsters some time on pitch.

Cina

I just got Renee Adler on a free at the age of 30. Bargain

Flying Fox

For those looking for an updated DB, here's one from the SI boards thats generally accepted as one of the best. Better than the sortitoutsi and fm weegie, as they have allegedly missed new players.

Update 8 (21/9/2009)

+Loans
+Transfers
+Player Contracts
+Mangager Changes
+Manager Contract
+Staff Changes
+Removed All Old Retirements
+New Board Takeovers
+Removed All Old Loans
+More New Kits
+Updated Nation & Club CO-Efficents
+New Squard Numbers
+Added Loads of youngsters
+Added Player clensing

link fm update v8
Download - Fm Update V8.zip - Sharebee.com, the one and only online file hosting distribution service.

link player update version (i.e. altered CA and PA)
Download - Fm Update Player Update V8.zip - Sharebee.com, the one and only online file hosting distribution service.

Kudos to Chris22 who put in the hard yards for this.

Woodzy

I downloaded that update the other date. I've been downloading quite a lot and it really is quite good. The player cleansing and pa updates are important. Player cleansing means you can sign players such as Berbatov and Modric in the first season for example, instead of it saying they aren't interested because they've just moved clubs.

The ca/pa updates are all opinionated and you may not agree with them, but in my personal opinion the main benefit of these is that the same old players are no longer getting signed by the same clubs (as much anyway) in the first season. Makes it a bit more refreshing.

simon_xazza

Does anyone find about 3 seasons in the fixtures get very congested. Played 2 premiership games in 2 days on my 4th season and sometimes all my players are on international duty on a matchday. Very annoying.

Cina

Yeah I'm guessing cause Giggs is still there you're only a year or 2 in to the game, and the combined cost of those players would be ... erm ... 150m+. Seeing as you haven't sold a single player, there is no fecking chance you'd have that budget at that stage.

So no, no you don't win at FM, you just use the RTE.