Gaming Football Manager 2014

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Really need to sort out wages in FM 2015. Redmond and Hughes at Norwich are both on 20k contracts but if i wanted to sign them they'd apparently want 80-100k. It's not like my highest earner is on much anyway - only around ~50k plus most of the squad is on 10-30k.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
My star CM has requested a transfer on deadline day, as he reckons there's too much competition for places in my(smallish) squad. I have 3 other CM's for a 2 CM formation, and 3 DM's for 1 DM slot, though one of them DM's is in my team strictly as a CB.

I can't afford to loose him, especially as I'd have to sell him cheap. So, a few months in the ressies, Inter loaned me Benassi for the season! :drool:

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Yeah, that's why I was so surprised. I started the save for their facilities and youth production but I was expecting a decent budget to sign the occasional youth player like Romero, Silva or Balanta.

@Sly
They are better now after the financial reestructuration but we came close to bankrupcy last year. With this new President we negotiated with the Banks better terms for our stadium loans, sold a couple of players for decent profit (Ilori and Bruma) and got rid of high earners such as Labyad, Schaars, Bojinov, Jéffren etc. It´s isn´t all smooth sailing now but the club is now sustainable and with controlled spending. Champions League money this year will help us, combine with selling a couple of players will help our budget. In real life our budget is 25 million euros, with a yearly wage limit of 1,2 million euros. Don´t know if Carvalho will be sold for the release clause value but i do know that we are in a better negotiation position with the Champions League qualification and a long term contract. Our new President Bruno de Carvalho is a very shrewd negotiator.
Haven´t played Football Manager in ages but managing Sporting was always a challenge because our budget is way lower than Porto and Benfica. Even so the youth ranks management was always very appealing.

roseguy64

My star CM has requested a transfer on deadline day, as he reckons there's too much competition for places in my(smallish) squad. I have 3 other CM's for a 2 CM formation, and 3 DM's for 1 DM slot, though one of them DM's is in my team strictly as a CB.

I can't afford to loose him, especially as I'd have to sell him cheap. So, a few months in the ressies, Inter loaned me Benassi for the season! :drool:
He's recognising all the CMs and DMs as his competition.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
My club keep trying to build a stadium expansion, but the council have blocked planning permission twice. Why does that happen and is there any way around it?

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Why is it impossible to sell players on this game? I'm trying to sell half my Sporting squad to balance finances, and I'm listing them as either for their value or less yet I'm getting no offers at all. I can't even loan them out, yet my youngsters who are on £500 per week get hundreds of loan offers. Annoying.

It's my third season with Sporting now and still no transfer budget despite me making CL qualification again and I'm now overspending £100k+ A lot of my players are out of contract this summer and there's no way I can afford new contracts.

I signed Joel Campbell on a free too, who's now worth £5.25m but I'd like to keep him if at all possible.

Varun

Staff
Why is it impossible to sell players on this game? I'm trying to sell half my Sporting squad to balance finances, and I'm listing them as either for their value or less yet I'm getting no offers at all. I can't even loan them out, yet my youngsters who are on £500 per week get hundreds of loan offers. Annoying.

It's my third season with Sporting now and still no transfer budget despite me making CL qualification again and I'm now overspending £100k+ A lot of my players are out of contract this summer and there's no way I can afford new contracts.

I signed Joel Campbell on a free too, who's now worth £5.25m but I'd like to keep him if at all possible.
Yeah, that's a really poorly handled part of the game. Struggle to sell players.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
My club keep trying to build a stadium expansion, but the council have blocked planning permission twice. Why does that happen and is there any way around it?
Happened once to me. Eventually they gave up on the expansion for a bit, then built a new stadium elsewhere.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I'll be starting my Wolfsburg journey today.

Levo

Band of Brothers
Quite a large update before the 2nd season with Southampton.

Was hoping for a good transfer budget after winning the league at the first time of asking! Was duly rewarded with just under £40mill to spend. Main arrivals and departures are below:

In

Smalling - £9m
Oxlade-Chamberlain - £12m
Rhodes - £6m
Will Hughes - £8m
Stones - £7m
Matic - Loan
Griezmann - Loan

Out

Fonte - Free
Fox - 750k (Pre-arranged)
Osvaldo - £16m
Gallagher - Loan

Extremely pleased with the signings of Chamberlain & Griezmann, stuck to the British core as much as possible. Will probably look to buy British and then loan in the foreigners unless my hand is forced or a worldy becomes available. Looking to ship out Ramirez and Davis but no takers as of yet, Ramirez is good but is always inconsistent for me so he's out.

Team for the season will look as below:

---------------Boruc---------------
Clyne--Smalling---Lovren--Shaw
------------Wanyama-------------
--Ward-Prowse--Schneiderlein--
------------------------------------
Chamberlain-Lambert-Griezmann

Bench: Chambers, Stones, Matic, Hughes, Lallana, Rodriguez, Rhodes.

Looking solid and some much needed depth was brought in as I've also got Gazzaniga, Cork & Yoshida as cover for the first team squad, as well as Ramirez and Davis currently. Players who will be targeted for next season as long as success continues are Sturridge, Welbeck, Barkley, Jones, Caulker etc.

Media have predicted me to finish 5th all facilities at the moment are top notch. Will only have a capacity of 29,421 for the season as work has commenced on the new expansion plans but once completed I should have 48,889 capacity and under soil heating installed. Also noticed when looking at the facilities page that I've gained a stadium sponsor for the next 20 years at £20m a year so that's helpful.

NoLogo

So finally getting around to playing my 9th season with St. Pauli. I hope I can get a bit farther in the CL this season as last year was a big disappointment.

Unfortunately I'm starting off my season with a bit of an injury crisis having 5 players out for 3+ weeks.

wonnie

Was hoping for a good transfer budget after winning the league at the first time of asking! Was duly rewarded with just under £40mill to spend. Main arrivals and departures are below:

In

Smalling - £9m
Rhodes - £6m
Will Hughes - £8m
Stones - £7m
Matic - Loan
Griezmann - Loan

Out

Fonte - Free
Osvaldo - £16m
Gallagher - Loan

Extremely pleased with the signings of Chamberlain & Griezmann, stuck to the British core as much as possible. Will probably look to buy British and then loan in the foreigners unless my hand is forced or a worldy becomes available. Looking to ship out Ramirez and Davis but no takers as of yet, Ramirez is good but is always inconsistent for me so he's out.

Looking solid and some much needed depth was brought in as I've also got Gazzaniga, Cork & Yoshida as cover for the first team squad, as well as Ramirez and Davis currently. Players who will be targeted for next season as long as success continues are Sturridge, Welbeck, Barkley, Jones, Caulker etc.

Media have predicted me to finish 5th all facilities at the moment are top notch. Will only have a capacity of 29,421 for the season as work has commenced on the new expansion plans but once completed I should have 48,889 capacity and under soil heating installed. Also noticed when looking at the facilities page that I've gained a stadium sponsor for the next 20 years at £20m a year so that's helpful.
Wow cracking signings. I'd say you can probably win the CL in two seasons with that squad.

Would be interesting if you played 4-1-4-1 with that system too. I think it'd be really fun.

You can swap Ox and Griezman so they are cutting in on their favoured foot. Kind of like Bayern with Ribery and Robben.

Levo

Band of Brothers
Wow cracking signings. I'd say you can probably win the CL in two seasons with that squad.

Would be interesting if you played 4-1-4-1 with that system too. I think it'd be really fun.

You can swap Ox and Griezman so they are cutting in on their favoured foot. Kind of like Bayern with Ribery and Robben.
That's the plan, I train all of my front 3 so they can interchange. All the fullbacks can play either side too so it gives me an extra option.

Had a good start beating Everton 4-3 in the CS, although I was 4-0 up! Had a slow start to the season with a win, draw an loss for my 1st 3 games.

NoLogo

Ha I only just noticed that Guardiola is managing Borussia Mönchengladbach now. Not at all happy to see him back in the Bundesliga again that 4-1-4-1 is so tough to beat and his Bayern side was just unbeatable with him in charge. Gladbach so far has won all their first 4 games and are sitting on top of the table together with me.

Mander

In

Smalling - £9m
Rhodes - £6m
Will Hughes - £8m
Stones - £7m
Matic - Loan
Griezmann - Loan

Out

Fonte - Free
Osvaldo - £16m
Gallagher - Loan

Ramirez was inconsistent for me for quite a while, but this season I've figured him out. 4-2-3-1 with Ramirez in the middle as AP got him a rating of 7.46 with 12 goals and 15 assists in the league (or something like that).

Levo

Band of Brothers
Shipped him off to Dortmund, got £10mill so can be invested elsewhere.

NoLogo

Fecking hell. Manchester United just sold Januzaj to Napoli. Man by the time I'm ready to take them over there will be no good player left I'm afraid. Seems like I'm going to have a major rebuilding job at my hand if I decide to go there.

Lu Tze

Manchester United have been total muppets in my game. Bought Arturo Vidal and Toni Kroos in 2016/17 and have dominated the league from 2013-2019, winning 4 titles with Diego Simeone as manager. Somehow Adnan's ended up at City mind, which is an absolute travesty.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Looking to start a new game of this tonight. Not sure which team though.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Anyone had this before?

I asked the board to upgrade my youth facilities as they're pants for a club wanting to fight for the title next season (I'm sitting in 3rd at the moment and should get top 4), but they refused. I leaked it to the press and the board wanted to know why i was being a cnut. I basically told them they were too and they now gave me an ultimatum. Get 10 points in the next 5 games or i am gone. Thought it was a nice little feature. :lol:

Lu Tze

Looking to start a new game of this tonight. Not sure which team though.
I've enjoyed Espanyol. Breaking the duopoly from a mid table position is quite a challenge. But Espanyol obviously aren't a punish-yourself team like trying to manage from the Skrill North or something, they have plenty of expansion potential and can turn into a powerhouse with good management.

Lu Tze

Anyone had this before?

I asked the board to upgrade my youth facilities as they're pants for a club wanting to fight for the title next season (I'm sitting in 3rd at the moment and should get top 4), but they refused. I leaked it to the press and the board wanted to know why i was being a cnut. I basically told them they were too and they now gave me an ultimatum. Get 10 points in the next 5 games or i am gone. Thought it was a nice little feature. :lol:
Yeah unless you're basically a club legend with more power than God leaking to the press will be trouble.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Anyone had this before?

I once got fired my first day on a job, over a similar situation.

Varun

Staff
Guardiola being very complimentary before the game, says he wants to emulate me one day :lol:

Oh and for some reason, I've built up a reputation as a defensive coach. cnuts.

Yeah unless you're basically a club legend with more power than God leaking to the press will be trouble.
Naah, just need to be doing a very good job for a considerable period of time. 2yrs or so of performing over expectations and you're fine. I've done it twice in the past year to get more funds as I needed to renew contracts.

Uniquim

Found an USA Database with NASL + USL Pro, without disrupting the MLS. Started a new game with NY Red Bulls, with the other tiers open. It's kind of interesting. I have absolutely no idea how much to offer to buy/trade a MLS player (all bids rejected so far). I usually go for youth, but I can only get players from my own academy team, as the other academy players can't be bought, and I have no money to buy players from the non-American clubs. :lol:

I think this could be a fun save. Completely different. Gonna scout everything to be prepared for the drafts.

Richard Eckersley play here apparently. Used to play for Man Utd. Thierry Henry and Tim Cahill is in the club as well.

edit: a lot of squad restrictions.

Last edited:

NoLogo

Manchester United have been total muppets in my game. Bought Arturo Vidal and Toni Kroos in 2016/17 and have dominated the league from 2013-2019, winning 4 titles with Diego Simeone as manager. Somehow Adnan's ended up at City mind, which is an absolute travesty.
In my save game they have gone totally down the drain. 1 league title, one national cup and one Europa League win in 8 seasons. They finished 10th last season and have now lost their best player. They are pretty much a mid table team at this point.

walsh

I'm so shit at this version. Can't get anything decent going. Tried a 4-1-4-1 with Wolfsburg but it just turned to shit and couldn't get a result for love nor money. Eventually rage quit :lol:

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Not sure what to do, popped that unhappy lad in the reserves, supposedly that eventually calms them down, but mid Oct, and he's still unhappy. This is the last year of his contract, and I can't afford to loose him for nothing, spent 2.2m on him. He was to be my key midfielder.

Varun

Staff
Mourinho'ed Bayern. 30% possession. 1-0 win of a corner. :)

Not sure what to do, popped that unhappy lad in the reserves, supposedly that eventually calms them down, but mid Oct, and he's still unhappy. This is the last year of his contract, and I can't afford to loose him for nothing, spent 2.2m on him. He was to be my key midfielder.
I'd have played him regularly, had some nice private chats, got him to fire his agent and then try getting him to extend the contract. He'l sulk even more in the reserves.