Gaming Football Manager 2016

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
That's almost too realistic.
Unfortunately it still remains one of my better results of the season. Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal away were 3 of my 4 opening games of the season and they all went tits up. Not to mention Wigan taking me to extra time and penalties in the first round of the Carling Cup.

I came 2nd in the league last season only having bought Veratti. This season i got Isco and Aboubakar and my plan was to have Mata, Di Maria, Isco, Blind and Veratti all playing pretty little passes to each other.

----------RvP--------
Di Maria - Isco - Mata
----- Blind - Veratti

Unfortunately Isco, Di Maria, RvP and Mata all got injured in the first two games and are out for 4 months, 3 months, 2 months and 3 months respectively. So I went:

----------Aboubakar------
Januzaj - Rooney - Rafael
------Blind - Veratti

Aaand as you can see above Januzaj, Aboubakar, Rooney and Rafael all got injured in one game. So now I have no attack. Which is even more realistic tbf.

NinjaFletch

I think I'm shit at this game. My teams can't score, and they concede with every opposition attack it seems.

I'm sort of like LVG without the possession.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The game is still broken IMO (as always with SI, they never get it right until January, every year without fail)

I've had teams like Watford beating me 3-0 senselessly

I'll just give up after 20 new games, it's jsut too tedious and unenjoyable at the moment

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Counter attacking on this game is incredibly overpowered. Possession is mostly meaningless it seems, unless you've got an elite playmaker who can dismantle a defence with one ball. It seems largely frustrating if you don't.

My Real Oviedo side are brutal. Averaging 40% possession and around 68% pass completion. Having the ball is boring. We are a well-oiled fouling machine when we don't have it, but totally devastating on the break. Win the ball back, clear to the flank, cut inside, and either shoot, fizz across goal or lay it off. Goal. Back to front in 2 or 3 passes.

Playing a 3-4-3 of sorts. Gung-ho wing backs and inside forwards, a back three of two limited defenders a ball playing stopper set to close down everything, which seems to make him more of a hotheaded David Luiz type. See the ball, abandon the defence, launch at it, take out everything.

Only conceded 4 goals in 20 league games. I've had a lot of luck with injuries so far, and managed to avoid anything major. Got a lot of rotating to do with inevitable suspensions though. Lots and lots of yellows, and a fair amount of reds. We're top of the card table, and the league table.

NinjaFletch

Counter attacking on this game is incredibly overpowered. Possession is mostly meaningless it seems, unless you've got an elite playmaker who can dismantle a defence with one ball. It seems largely frustrating if you don't.

My Real Oviedo side are brutal. Averaging 40% possession and around 68% pass completion. Having the ball is boring. We are a well-oiled fouling machine when we don't have it, but totally devastating on the break. Win the ball back, clear to the flank, cut inside, and either shoot, fizz across goal or lay it off. Goal. Back to front in 2 or 3 passes.

Playing a 3-4-3 of sorts. Gung-ho wing backs and inside forwards, a back three of two limited defenders a ball playing stopper set to close down everything, which seems to make him more of a hotheaded David Luiz type. See the ball, abandon the defence, launch at it, take out everything.

Only conceded 4 goals in 20 league games. I've had a lot of luck with injuries so far, and managed to avoid anything major. Got a lot of rotating to do with inevitable suspensions though. Lots and lots of yellows, and a fair amount of reds. We're top of the card table, and the league table.
Probably why I'm struggling to be fair. My teams on FM always were about the possession (all though were never actually any good at keeping the ball) with low tempo, high closing down, and a high D line.

Time to sit deep and play some hoof ball.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
City failed to qualify for the Champions League. 1st July rolls round and Raheem Sterling is immediately transfer listed by request. Love this game.

Art Vandelay

Probably why I'm struggling to be fair. My teams on FM always were about the possession (all though were never actually any good at keeping the ball) with low tempo, high closing down, and a high D line.

Time to sit deep and play some hoof ball.
If you're having trouble with scoring then that low tempo might be your issue. I play pretty much the same as you but with a high tempo and we score for fun now.

Gabigol has gone goal mad for me. He had 6 goals in a year and a half, I left him out of the Club World Cup squad due to being shit. He is nearly always jaded because of Brazil duties and his stats haven't improved at all since I signed him. Put him up front against Leicester as no one else was fit, he scored a hattrick. He's scored in every match since no matter if he is up front or out wide. He got a hattrick in one match starting up front and finishing on the wing. Got 2 before the positional change.

NinjaFletch

If you're having trouble with scoring then that low tempo might be your issue. I play pretty much the same as you but with a high tempo and we score for fun now.

Gabigol has gone goal mad for me. He had 6 goals in a year and a half, I left him out of the Club World Cup squad due to being shit. He is nearly always jaded because of Brazil duties and his stats haven't improved at all since I signed him. Put him up front against Leicester as no one else was fit, he scored a hattrick. He's scored in every match since no matter if he is up front or out wide. He got a hattrick in one match starting up front and finishing on the wing. Got 2 before the positional change.
I think its just a case of managing shit teams. I got promoted from the K League Classic with the lowest points total possible and then just about kept our heads above the water in a league where the highest paid player from Ulsan was earning the same as my entire team.

I've moved to Holland and Willem II who got relegated to the Juliper League so I'm hoping being a big fish in a small pond again will be more fun. But morales down the toilet at the minute caus everyone wants to leave.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Seriously. Counter attacking is just stupid. My Stoke-like Real Ovideo cloggers have just knocked out Real Madrid on away goals in the quarters of the Copa Del Rey. 1-0 at home 3-2 away. Ridiculous.

Minkaro

Don't know why I bother letting my DOF make offers for players. He's absolutely convinced we need attacking midfielders. I have eight players that can play somewhere in AM. It's actually the area of the team where we're strongest.

I wouldn't mind so much if he was going for amazing players, but it's offers of £30m+ for players that aren't better than what I already have.

Art Vandelay

Schweinsteiger is threatening to derail my season. Homesick and I told him I'd try and bring someone in to help him settle, he never told me who. Transfer window just closed and he is upset that I failed to bring in, and I quote "person#4". He is my captain and the squad are in revolt at this especially Pogba.

On top of that I've had to send him home for a month during a very busy period.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
I've won the league five years in a row with United right now, and ended up 2nd in every single Champions League-season :lol: The club is about to be bought though, and I'm very worried! The Man Utd-board is just a joy to work with in this game, and I'm afraid that these new guys will just reject everything and make changes to my £300m transfer kit every year :(

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
Trying to buy Ødegaard is kinda hard. This is my latest offer, which got rejected by Real:

£0

Isco
Depay
Mustafi
Kane
Barbosa

Combined value of about £300m

Edit:

Added Martial and De Bruyne and still no :lol:

Last edited:

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
I dont know what happened, but the value of my club went from £250m last season to an insane £2bn at the beginning of this! Arsenal was slightly ahead of me last year, but even Barca and Madrid looks like minnows compared to me.. What the hell :D

Anyways, needed to freshen up the squad and make room for a few youngsters ahead of this season. Since Real didnt want to sell Ødegaard, I got rid of these players who've been pivotal the last seasons:

Isco - Barcelona
Kane - AC Milan
Mustafi - AC Milan
Depay - Benfica
Barbosa - Schalke

Netting me a cool £300m which I dont tend to spend at all.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
feck sake, now the damn takeover-guys is saying that Pep will take charge if they buy the club! How on earth can they do that, when I win more or less everything there is to win..

Edit: HAH! In your fecking face, "businessman from Wigan"!! Couldnt afford to buy the club, the inbred tool.

Edit2: Obviously I requested a new contract as soon as I could, simply to bleed the next idiot who wants to sack me.

Last edited:

NinjaFletch

I've gone for an ultra-hipster 2-3-2-3-0 with my Willem II side, full on counter pressing, strikerless system with an Enganche leading the line which has rocketed us up the table.

Disappointed to not be keeping the ball very much, which is limiting our ability to put it in the net, and at the other end we're conceding stupid goals. But at least, for the first time, in this FM, I've stumbled upon something of a working tactic.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Trying to buy Ødegaard is kinda hard. This is my latest offer, which got rejected by Real:

£0

Isco
Depay
Mustafi
Kane
Barbosa

Combined value of about £300m

Edit:

Added Martial and De Bruyne and still no :lol:
if you buy him early enough he has a buy out clause... but in the first season he did not want to move
loan him, play him, then offer the clause and he will join... - but Max Meyer is better anyway

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
if you buy him early enough he has a buy out clause... but in the first season he did not want to move
loan him, play him, then offer the clause and he will join... - but Max Meyer is better anyway
Yeah, I dont really need him either. It was mostly for fun, but Ødegaard is SO much better than Max Meyer in this save (In season 21/22 so far).

NinjaFletch

So the games interaction system is broken.

I fined a player two weeks wages for his third sending off of the season (applying my normal scale of 1: warning, 2: 1 week, 3: 2 week) and the knobber complained. Apparently getting sent off for the third time was a 'special circumstance' and I didn't take that into account (which is right to be fair, because no one else has been stupid enough to get sent off three times this season) he got angry when I didn't back down and then demanded to leave.

Then, when I said to the press what I said to him (this is standard procedure feck off) he was apparently delighted with my comments. :confused::confused:

Edit: And then I apparently promised to sell him by saying I wouldn't stand in his way if he wanted to leave. That's not a promise.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
Not really sure what happened here... I went from 16 to 36 coaches allowed for my first team :eek: Quite similar from the club value going from £200m to £2.5bn over the course of a season :lol:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So after I finished 3rd with Sevilla in my first season there and winning the europa league, the board accepted offers for Tielemans, Oliver to Barca and United paid Berardi's release clause. Cnuts. Decided to resign since it pissed me off that my 3 main players got sold right away, and saw Everton job was available so I took that, not realizing that they sold Barkley and Coleman about a week before :lol: I had like 80m to spend though so that wasn't bad. Brought in Leroy Sane, while the Martinez before me bought Victor Fischer, so with him, Deulofeu, Sane, and Lukaku up top, I had plenty of quality there. Brought in Wilson on loan just as back up striker.

Had a good set up, but ended up drawing too many games throughout the season to challenge for the title. Kept conceding silly goals early and having to come back. Plus United bought Lukaku for 60m after he was comlaining in January (United was in the relegation zone by then, having just sacked Mancini after a year and a half there. Rudi Garcia took over). So I replaced him with Vincent Aboubaker who I remembered was ridiculous in FM 2015. Turns out he's even better in 16. Scored 34 goals in 25 games for me in all comps between January and May, leading me to winning the Europa league again and winning the Capital one cup. Finished 4th on 70 points, 8 points behind 3rd place Arsenal and 5 points ahead of 5th Liverpool. United was like 7th.

Then Klopp got sacked by Barca so I applied and got the job. Nice to have Oliver and Tielemans already from the year before when the Sevilla board made me sell them :lol:
Plan on just winning everything this season though and then eventually winning the bundesliga, italian league before settling at United.

Art Vandelay

Everton bought Fischer in mine too, he's almost as good as he was in FM14 again.

Is there any drawback to playing two ball playing defenders? I've always assumed you use one ball playing and one all out defender, but I think my defenders might suit both being ball playing. We rarely every concede as it is but was considering bringing in Laporte which would give me a foursome of Laporte-Stones and Mustafi-McNair who all work better as BPD.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Try it out! Should be no harm, just means both defenders will be adventurous with their passing.

I used to use two BPD(s) in between a CD(d) in FM 14, as part of a 5-3-2 based on LvG's formation back when he first joined us(heavily based on that LA game before it fell to bits in competitive matches). Worked an absolute wonder.

Art Vandelay

I love how my team share the goals around. I'm always rotating to keep players fresh, but even with that you'd think one guy would be the main man and no one really is. It's the start of March and I've 7 players on 10 goals or more. We have had 3 different players score hattricks and only 1 penalty all season. Martial is top scorer on 17, Berardi 16, Depay 15 and Morata 13. All of them have missed over a month through injury.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Everton bought Fischer in mine too, he's almost as good as he was in FM14 again.

Is there any drawback to playing two ball playing defenders? I've always assumed you use one ball playing and one all out defender, but I think my defenders might suit both being ball playing. We rarely every concede as it is but was considering bringing in Laporte which would give me a foursome of Laporte-Stones and Mustafi-McNair who all work better as BPD.
I use 2 BPD in my possession style... Wasn't great defensively with it though, at least not with Everton. Think that's because it was Stones as my only good defender, and my other 3 were basically youngsters.

LeftyBlaster

This FECKING game sometimes.

Weidenfeller handles the ball in the last minute outside his box, gets called over for a yellow. And just as the animation for the booking is finishing with him running back to the goal, they take the free kick and knock it into an open net. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: The feck was that about

Joemo

whistling in the wind
I use 2 BPD in my possession style... Wasn't great defensively with it though, at least not with Everton. Think that's because it was Stones as my only good defender, and my other 3 were basically youngsters.
I found that if you had genuine BPD's then it was fantastic, but if I used makeshift BPD's then it fell apart as their passing just wasn't up to scratch. Another thing I did with that 532/352 formation was start the match with the defence deep, gain a control over the match in both possession and goals and then change the instructions to a high defence and really choke teams in their own half. I think I had Varane, Musacchio and Jones (who I'd trained for 5 years as a BPD) all with good pace which meant the high line was never really caught out.

Miscemayl

Do people here recommend the game?

The last one I got was 2014 since I got frustrated with 2015 being the same game so didn't buy it.
Has it changed much since then or should I just hunt down a new db for 2014?

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
Fecking Internationals! I've lost 6 players to injuries (all 1 month++) in the same fecking international break. All a part of my first team squad as well! Ridiculous

Minkaro

Fecking Internationals! I've lost 6 players to injuries (all 1 month++) in the same fecking international break. All a part of my first team squad as well! Ridiculous
I lost 2-0 to Charlton because I had an FA Cup replay at the same time as an international break :mad: