Gaming Football Manager 2020 (PC, Mac, Switch, Android, iOS, Stadia)

NoLogo

Picked it up a week agao and now finished my first season with United.The first season has been pretty I won the League with 99 points over Liverpool 92 points, was pretty tight (3 points) till game day 34 where I had to play Liverpool at home and won 2-1 after being 0-1 down at half time, they subsequently lost two game days later against City and I had a 9 point lead which droped down to 7 points after drawn the last game of the season and also missing out on City's point record.

In the Carabao Cup I almost only played youngsters and fringe players and was knocked out in the quarter-final by City.
In the UEL I got to the semi-final but was knocked out by Real on aggregate, unfortunately I conceded 3 goals at home, all scored from fecking Hazard who was unstoppable.

We also won the FA-Cup 3-0 against Liverpool with Greenwood scoring a brace and Rashford scoring the third goal, those two always seem to be on fire against Pool.

My transfers in January, I always disable first transfer window, were:
- Grimaldo (from Benfica) €43,5M
- Dias (from Benfica) €46M
Sold:
- Matic (to Leicster) €7M
- Lingard (to Everton) €31M
- Bailly (to Guanghou Evergrande) €27M
- Lindelöf (to PSG €34M)

So yeah I actually made a net profit in January and arguably improved the team.

Greenwood has been my stand out attacking player this year with 33 goals and 10 assists in 36 starts, pretty amazing for an 18-year old and while I was planning to actually buy Haaland I think this is pretty much off the table atm.

Fernandes was pretty ace as well assisting 29 goals in all competitions and also had the best average rating from all my players.

I have made two purchases for next season already:

- Camavinga (from Rennes) €48,5M - While McTom certainly had a solid season as our DM he doesn't have the highest ceiling and Camavinga looks like a world-class player already at the age of 17
- Semedo (from Barcelona) €37,5M - I tactically try to emulate Klopp's Liverpool and play with quite attacking WBs and AWB is simply not that good going forward, so I wanted a more attacking option to field against smaller teams

I'm currently thinking about who else I want to bring in. In truth my team performed amazingly well and I don't feel like I need to buy a lot of players anymore. Especially the youngsters performed remarkably well and I feel it would be unfair to buy more established players now.

That being said of course there are some players I can't help looking at and wanting to buy. Haaland and Sancho I still can't help but admire, but I know with Martial and Rashford both as additional striker and IF on the left options it would be stupid to buy any of them. If I need something it's an IF on right. James and Chong did well there though last season but don't seem to be that good or with that high of a ceiling. I also prefer to have a left foot on the right and James doesn't really qualify for that non the less both had a fairly good season. So yeah I'm not even sure I should buy anyone else actually.

Santos J

Looks promising but not sure about playing centre back at 5'6"
Doesn't matter for him as his jumping reach is also shit but for others, height isn't a factor in the match engine and doesn't change anything so a 5'5 player with 15 heading and 15 jumping reach would be equal aerially to a 6'5 player with the same stats so they'd win all the same headers etc.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Have edged closer to completing the pentagon challenge on FM19. Just won the European CL with PSG. Took me about 4 years in Europe going from Napoli, Bayer Leverkusen, Dortmund to PSG.
Completely smashing everything with them, setting a new league record for points, wins and goals scored.
Champions league has been between PSG and Barca for the last 5 years, beat them 2-0 in the final.
Have no idea how Africa will go as I know zilch about it and you only have 1 league to use.

NoLogo

Doesn't matter for him as his jumping reach is also shit but for others, height isn't a factor in the match engine and doesn't change anything so a 5'5 player with 15 heading and 15 jumping reach would be equal aerially to a 6'5 player with the same stats so they'd win all the same headers etc.
Isn't jumping reach now connected to the height of the player? I think the game can't even produce anymore 5'5 players with 14 or 15 jumping reach anymore.

Santos J

Isn't jumping reach now connected to the height of the player? I think the game can't even produce anymore 5'5 players with 14 or 15 jumping reach anymore.
Not sure on that but yeah it would make sense and looks like it as just used player search and only found 1 player under 5'7 with 15 jumping reach but he's also a keeper so imagine it's different for them. I just always used to look at height for CB's until I found out it was irrelevant.

NoLogo

Not sure on that but yeah it would make sense and looks like it as just used player search and only found 1 player under 5'7 with 15 jumping reach but he's also a keeper so imagine it's different for them. I just always used to look at height for CB's until I found out it was irrelevant.
I think they made this change in the 2019 or maybe 2018 version? Until then it was simply called "jumping" and even small players could have really great jumping attributes but since they switched this to "jumping reach" it seems to be somewhat tied to the height of the players, at least in newgens.

NoLogo

So second season shopping spree syndrome hit me again and I brought in 5 new players.

Players In:
- Camavinga (from Rennes) for €48M
- Semedo (from Barcelona) for €37,5M
- Sancho (from Dortmund) for €101M
- Bailey (from Leverkusen) for €91M
- Bastoni (from Inter Milan) for €38M

Total = €315M

At first I only wanted to get in Bailey but rumors showed up that PSG was interested in buying Martial so I took a gamble, bought Sancho as well and luckily PSG came in with an offer and we settled on €110M, which meant I totally refinanced the Sancho deal and I feel like Sancho is going to be a better fit than Martial or Rashford for the inside forward role.

Players Out:
- Mata (to Shakhtar) for €14,25M
- Martial (to PSG) for €110M
- Jones (to Wolves) for €23M
- Smalling (to Roma) for €25M
- Pereira (to Norwich) for €17,5M

Total = €189,75M

I loaned out Sanchez to NY Red Bulls who only pay like 50% of his wages but that seemed better than nothing since I couldn't really fit him in my team anyhow and there were no transfer offers.

Slight mistake, AWB is actually the backup for Semedo and the first choice in hard games. Williams is backup cover for both sides though.

That's the team I'm going into next season with. Next season is going to be interesting though since Pogba has so far refused to extend his contract. First because he wanted CL and now because Barca is sniffing around wanting to buy him. They also made "joke offer" for him for like €78M, well at least he didn't get upset when I refused them.

Oh yeah I just remembered I need to figure out if I want to sell James or not since there currently doesn't seem to be much space in my team for him. I want Rashford to cover for two positions since only this way I can give him the needed playing time but that means James is pretty much without a real spot to cover, unless either one of my right or left IFs get injured, and he can provide backup this way, which is probably why I should keep him, another option, able to play on both wings is probably a good thing to have if he can live with the reduced playing time.

Last edited:

Lay

Picked this guy up for 12.5k when he was 16, joins me next year :drool:

Developing so well already!

Gonna be a ball playing CB for me with those technicals
He'll get dominated in the air with that jumping and height.

2E_MUFC

Anyone had SMS this year? I’ve took the Real Madrid job after winning everything with Dortmund and he’s there. He’s been average so far and that’s putting it lightly.

He has really good stats but I just can’t get him to perform.

NoLogo

He'll get dominated in the air with that jumping and height.
He could make a great DLP though. I think I would retrain him to play as a DM in a DLP-D role, great passing, great positioning, great vision, technique is maybe a bit low, but if he has potential for development this could be corrected with the right training and tutoring.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Anyone had SMS this year? I’ve took the Real Madrid job after winning everything with Dortmund and he’s there. He’s been average so far and that’s putting it lightly.

He has really good stats but I just can’t get him to perform.
My first save was with Lazio and he was great as a box to box. I made sure there was no AMC in front of him and he had space to get into. He didn’t score that many though but got about and always played well.

Maluco

A second CL with Las Palmas spelled the end of that adventure, so am now going for a journeyman save with no experience and no badges. Sunday league reputation. I don’t think I have ever had a save below League 1 before so this should be a mess.

Turned on all leagues in England, Scotland, Italy, Germany, Norway, Belgium, Holland and Sweden and landed my first job...at Lidkopings FK in Sweden’s bottom tier.

There are about 16 games left in the season and the team has 3 points and no wins. About 15 points off safety. I was just happy to get a job!

The team is mostly teenagers and there are no full backs or wingers in the squad so am offering out trials to everyone trying to find anyone at all.

In the end, did quite well with an attacking 4-4-2 and fought my way to within about 4 points of safety, but ended the season with a loss before the final game and a last day win wasn’t enough. Sacked!

Back to the drawing board and I had a couple of failed interviews in England before finally being offered the Slough Town job in November. They are in the relegation zone in the National League South. Back to mass trials to fill out squad.

It’s a really strange experience so far but I am actually really enjoying it. Loans are key and balancing the books looks like a tough proposition. The key seems to be finding the young players with good potential and trusting them in the first team. Contracts are a luxury and at the moment some old plodders are taking up the only guaranteed contract space at the club.

I think we can avoid the drop and hopefully get a few released players from higher divisions for next season. Can’t think too far ahead though. Players are on non contracts and can be nabbed away at any time!

Last edited:

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Oh man, I'm desperate to get Kenneh on a free at the end of the season when his Leeds contract expires but he keeps saying I don't have enough financial muscle :(

Berbaclass

I'm fecking fuming. Spurs pinched my wondered CB on deadline day :mad:

Had a £6.75 Million release clause that I tried so hard to get rid of.

Maluco

I don't know tbh :lol:

I've signed loads of good players in Poland.

I have Gomes, Bellingham, Felix Correa, Harvey Elliott, Emerson, Brekalo, Zirkzee. All on free transfers except Zirkzee.
How many seasons are you in? I would have thought that the club and the league would have nowhere near the reputation to attract them?

Berbaclass

How many seasons are you in? I would have thought that the club and the league would have nowhere near the reputation to attract them?
I'm in 2025. Polish top flight is ranked #13 in the league rankings currently.

Woodzy

Started a Newcastle save with a takeover file. Signed Zlatan on a free... what a waste.

For some reason, I just can’t enjoy this game without being a top team.

Maluco

Started a Newcastle save with a takeover file. Signed Zlatan on a free... what a waste.

For some reason, I just can’t enjoy this game without being a top team.
I think you need to be ready for an initial struggle and have a long term save in mind. I used to want trophies in my first season and hated it when it didn’t happen, but have taken a different approach this time. More work, trying to make a club/career my own and working to get a chance at the big trophies.

Had a great save with Las Palmas and winning the CL eventually was massive, but it obviously took time and lots of scouting and drawn out transfer windows.

Started unemployed this time with no badges and Sunday league rep and got sacked in my first job.

On to Slough Town, got in some fast strikers on free transfers and took them out of relegation to the playoffs. Just by having fast strikers and trialing young players.

It’s a completely different game and I had never played this way, but was watching some “non-league to legend” saves on YouTube and loved the idea of earning my shot at a big side and building my own career.

I lost in the playoffs, but signed in a few players released from Prem sides and team looks good for season two. Lots of loans in too.

I would recommend it cause it has really given new life to the game for me. The goal is build my career and my reputation over time, but for now, Season Two with Slough Town!

If you don’t want to start so low, start with someone like Leeds or Birmingham (build round Bellingham) in the Championship and build your way up slowly.

Berbaclass

Are you doing national team to coincide? What made you choose Poland?
It started off as just a daft save really. I loaded up Polands top two leagues and then pretty much all the players in the world and wanted something long term to build.

Picked the team based on the colours (I like a black and white colour scheme) and the fact that they weren't very good (predicted 11th in the Polish second division) and I needed up winning the league in the first year and it just became more enjoyable with each season.

I don't really have and particular goals in mind. We are very good financially, now the biggest team in Poland. We moved up to the 10th best league at the end go my last season because I won the Europa League and Legia got to the semis go the Euro II. The board are building a new stadium and I've been just trying to build the training/youth facilities up to make them as self sustainable as possible.

We're walking the league every year pretty much although Poznan pushed me for a couple of years recently (they have an affiliate with AC Milan and are getting their best youth players on loan) but I just get stronger every year. I've even been letting Keane (who is my assistant manager) manage a lot of the games because the league is boring now and I've just been focusing on the European games. That made me think the save was going to develop into a DOF sort of style thing where I buy the players and make the tactics but he manages the games but I've been managing most games in the last few seasons.

The move unto 10th in the coefficients table gives and automatic CL group stage place which is brilliant because the 2nd place gets 3BPQR which is basically winning two ties and you're in the groups so it should help the league nicely.

I was actually watching the movie Crank that day I started the save so my manager is American and named Chev Chelios :lol:

Maluco

Sounds like a bit of an adventure. I thought about doing similar in a smaller nation and I would never get tired of winning :drool:

Nickosaur

I've been considering a South America journeyman save recently, based on my travels a few years back. I haven't really done a serious save outside of Europe (think I spent a season in Australia back in FM15) but think it could be a lot of fun. Problem is with journeyman saves is I get too attached to a club once i start to achieve some success.

Went to see a Independiente Medellín game in Colombia and the atmosphere (for what was essentially a midtable clash) was insane. They share a 40k capacity stadium with their city rivals. I'd also love to try and bring some success to some of my favourite cities I visisted - Valparaiso in Chile (Santiago Wanderers) and Mendoza in Argentina (Godoy Cruz) before moving onto the big one, Boca Juniors. Then maybe take Chile or Colombia to World Cup glory.

Berbaclass

Just casually looking for a new striker to replace Zirkzee who got his head turned by Inter and I see United have transfer listed Greenwood for £38.5 Million.

He's coming to Poland boys :drool:

Maluco

I've been considering a South America journeyman save recently, based on my travels a few years back. I haven't really done a serious save outside of Europe (think I spent a season in Australia back in FM15) but think it could be a lot of fun. Problem is with journeyman saves is I get too attached to a club once i start to achieve some success.

Went to see a Independiente Medellín game in Colombia and the atmosphere (for what was essentially a midtable clash) was insane. They share a 40k capacity stadium with their city rivals. I'd also love to try and bring some success to some of my favourite cities I visisted - Valparaiso in Chile (Santiago Wanderers) and Mendoza in Argentina (Godoy Cruz) before moving onto the big one, Boca Juniors. Then maybe take Chile or Colombia to World Cup glory.
This sounds great. Lots of rules to learn about the league and the like but that’s all part of it. Libertadores is a great tournament too!

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Do scouts ever finish scouting a nation? I sent my scouts out to scout various nations "until finished" but they're taking their sweet time compared to previous games.

Lay

I wish I could get invested into a South American save. I enjoy the football there but the lure of European football just puts an end to any save I attempt to make.

Nickosaur

I wish I could get invested into a South American save. I enjoy the football there but the lure of European football just puts an end to any save I attempt to make.
I've set the European leagues as non-playable. I can only take jobs in South America, Mexico, or maybe MLS later on.

Maluco

Do scouts ever finish scouting a nation? I sent my scouts out to scout various nations "until finished" but they're taking their sweet time compared to previous games.
I think they do, but it is never announced, they just quietly stop and need reassigned. I think it takes 4-5 months though!

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I think they do, but it is never announced, they just quietly stop and need reassigned. I think it takes 4-5 months though!
Holy crap. It used to be a week or so for countries they had 100 % knowledge of. I guess I need to change my scouting strategy.
I haven't owned a Football Manager game since 2016 though, so I guess something had to change.

Maluco

Holy crap. It used to be a week or so for countries they had 100 % knowledge of. I guess I need to change my scouting strategy.
I haven't owned a Football Manager game since 2016 though, so I guess something had to change.
I think there are different facets to it now. It’s always good to have coaches of a variety of nationalities and then you get that knowledge e of those countries opening up to you.

It’s always good to check u18 and u23 teams of big clubs to see who is getting released too.

Some countries have loopholes, like the US has no professional contracts before 18, so any younger players on MLS rosters can be signed for free before they turn 18.

That’s a good one to know for your South American save @Nickosaur

sebsheep

I've set the European leagues as non-playable. I can only take jobs in South America, Mexico, or maybe MLS later on.
I struggle to do more than 1 season in Brazil, the amount of games just drains me mentally. :lol:

Berbaclass

This guy is disgusting for a 17 year old. Had a leak agreed to sign him but he signed a new deal instead. Gutted. Luckily the release clause only got bumped up by 5 Million so now I wait!

Maluco

Absolutely smashed National League South in Season 2. Loans from better leagues and young players have basically all left as they would be average stepping up.

Summer transfers have included 6-7 players snapped up from Prem u18 releases and looking like a decent outfit for an assault on the national league. I just wasn’t able to get in a good striker and lads I have look average and more wingers than strikers.

In any case, I’m hoping I can do well. Grateful to Slough for giving me a chance as a nobody, but they are a bit of a dull club with a dull name (sorry those of you from Slough!). Too Brentish.

I‘m hoping we can do well next season and hopefully I get a few more badges and get ready for the next step. The last application for the National A license was rejected initially because they “didn’t want to encourage me to leave the club”!

I am loving this save to be honest, everything feels like it is being earned and the mystery of the adventure keeps it really interesting.

I will definitely be coming back to lower league in the future. Nothing like loaning a League One striker and just seeing them ploughing through the season with 35-40 goals :drool: