Gaming Football Manager 2020 (PC, Mac, Switch, Android, iOS, Stadia)

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Ruben Neves is disgustingly good on this. 6 goals and 6 assists in my 23/24 season after 11 games.

Santos J

Did you ask the board to up the transfer percentage before the deal went through?

Mine have been very good in doing that after you have a good season or two.

That will be great to have a Europa group stage with them!
Nah they already lowered it from 50% not long before so didn't have the option, still managed to sort my squad out though so not too bad. Balance sitting healthy at £16m too which is slightly better than the £150k peak we had a season ago :lol:.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Nah they already lowered it from 50% not long before so didn't have the option, still managed to sort my squad out though so not too bad. Balance sitting healthy at £16m too which is slightly better than the £150k peak we had a season ago :lol:.
I swear clubs are just run really badly behind the scenes, the amount of times you have clubs reducing the % of transfer revenue you get or just straight up taking away your transfer + wage budget part way through a season is annoying. Especially as I tend to tun at a net gain on transfers and well within the original wage budget set.

/rant off

diarm

How good is the AI at factoring in opponent fatigue or match load?

I ask because I've had the best start to a season I've ever had, but am second to Chelsea who just won't lose points. They are playing pretty much the same team in every game and have Barcelona in a crunch CL tie 3 days before they play us. I've already qualified so can rest lads for the big match at Old Trafford.

If I set my lads up to spread the play wide and up the tempo, not unlike I would against ten men, will I run them into the ground? Or is that not really a thing with AI teams?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

I ask because I've had the best start to a season I've ever had, but am second to Chelsea who just won't lose points. They are playing pretty much the same team in every game and have Barcelona in a crunch CL tie 3 days before they play us. I've already qualified so can rest lads for the big match at Old Trafford.

If I set my lads up to spread the play wide and up the tempo, not unlike I would against ten men, will I run them into the ground? Or is that not really a thing with AI teams?
I'm not sure if the AI does training rest like we are able to. If they can then I don't think it would make much difference.

diarm

I'm not sure if the AI does training rest like we are able to. If they can then I don't think it would make much difference.
Yeah I think you're right. Reckon I'm just going to start the match as normal, check their condition early on and then make changes accordingly.

sebsheep

Yeah I think you're right. Reckon I'm just going to start the match as normal, check their condition early on and then make changes accordingly.
They definitely don't do it properly, but I find it only really shows as you get towards the end of the season where you find you end up playing a cup final against teams with 80-90% fitness.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Engine always seems to set up “moments”. Every league win so far I seem to have been held back until the last few fixtures where I am given an unlikely win to get over the line.

This time Real fought back to within 3 points only for me to get my first ever win at the Bernabeu to get over the line.

Comfortably out of CL at last 16 stage this time and beaten in Copa del Rey final on penalties. Managed to pick up the Euro Super Cup at the start of the season so another La Liga win was a good season.

Thats 5 seasons in and have...

- Lá Liga B Title
- 3 Lá Liga Titles
- 1 Copa del Rey
- 1 Champions League
- European Super Cup

I feel team is going backwards now in terms of training and squad togetherness. I think I messed it up by trying to get in a few big guns to push us on.

I might play one more season and shun loan signings and try to get squad together again.

I don’t think we will even come close in the CL again, so I might just play a final season with no loans and then that will be that.

I will need a new challenge soon.

Ludens the Red

very hit and miss, like most things AI related . I think it probably depends more on the manager. In my save I had Liverpool under Klopp rest half their team against me in a league game three days before a cl semi final with the league up for grabs still. But then I had Spurs play their first eleven against me in a league game a few days before a CL semi even though their league position was basically finalised.

Dave_MUFC

Oh, how you've got to love FM.

Playing as Parma, somehow had a miraculous first half of the season, beating all of the big boys regularly, finding myself top of the league for the winter break!

9 games later, I'm winless (including three consecutive 3-0 losses to Roma, Inter, and Juve, followed by a spectacular 1-0 loss to SPAL, where I conceded their first shot on target after I had 10, then my team proceeded to miss a penalty and hit the bar twice with an open goal, losing with 26 shots...), my players can't hit a barn door, my previously best-in-the-league defence is leaking goals for fun.

I've tried adjusting my tactics based on opposition and nothing seems to be stopping this freefall.

Now trying my best to cling onto 7th place for a Europa league spot, but it does get pretty frustrating with this game, how you can be god-like for so long, and one bad result sends you tumbling.

Maluco

Oh, how you've got to love FM.

Playing as Parma, somehow had a miraculous first half of the season, beating all of the big boys regularly, finding myself top of the league for the winter break!

9 games later, I'm winless (including three consecutive 3-0 losses to Roma, Inter, and Juve, followed by a spectacular 1-0 loss to SPAL, where I conceded their first shot on target after I had 10, then my team proceeded to miss a penalty and hit the bar twice with an open goal, losing with 26 shots...), my players can't hit a barn door, my previously best-in-the-league defence is leaking goals for fun.

I've tried adjusting my tactics based on opposition and nothing seems to be stopping this freefall.

Now trying my best to cling onto 7th place for a Europa league spot, but it does get pretty frustrating with this game, how you can be god-like for so long, and one bad result sends you tumbling.
I know, it can be crazy unpredictable. I would say that you were flying high morale wise and then the heavy losses to the big boys have tanked that.

I would try a team meeting before a home game to try and get morale back up and get your tactic more simplified and back to where it was before you made adjustments.

If you have both FBs going forward, keep one back just to solidify and make sure you always have three men back to avoid counters.

I say all this but I lose almost every final I am in so what do I know!!

Dave_MUFC

I know, it can be crazy unpredictable. I would say that you were flying high morale wise and then the heavy losses to the big boys have tanked that.

I would try a team meeting before a home game to try and get morale back up and get your tactic more simplified and back to where it was before you made adjustments.

If you have both FBs going forward, keep one back just to solidify and make sure you always have three men back to avoid counters.

I say all this but I lose almost every final I am in so what do I know!!
Yep, I did try the team meeting thing after the 3 losses, and morale went up, but losing in that ridiculous way the nezt game probably made morale rock bottom again!

10 games left, need to hold on and get a little luck.

Lay

I was really happy with my summer transfer window (Now 2026)

Southampton went down and I was able to snag a English wondered that I've been after for years. Could have bought him but could't justify spending the £100 Million that they demanded, especially because my defence is already very good. Had a relegation clause of £52 Million so I bit the bullet.

He's a CB for me not a LW.

He's not bad...
I feel he would be wasted in defence

Berbaclass

I feel he would be wasted in defence
I keep looking at him and considering moving him into midfield (I'm playing 4-4-2 ATM) as a LM but I quite like the partnership him and my other CB have.

He's certainly a nice player to have, versatility wise. I was tempted to play 3ATB and try him as a librero too.

sebsheep

I keep looking at him and considering moving him into midfield (I'm playing 4-4-2 ATM) as a LM but I quite like the partnership him and my other CB have.

He's certainly a nice player to have, versatility wise. I was tempted to play 3ATB and try him as a librero too.
Has pretty much all the stats for a Libero

Berbaclass

Not exactly subtle, but when I got my 8th youth intake and once again got nothing of note I decided enough was enough.

I looked through every new youth player in England and offered contracts to the best ones and stole everybody's best regens :lol:

Cost me ~£20 Million mind but I did get a Dutch region from Ajax on a free transfer then sold him a week later to Wolfsburg for £30.5 Million!

Maluco

Not exactly subtle, but when I got my 8th youth intake and once again got nothing of note I decided enough was enough.

I looked through every new youth player in England and offered contracts to the best ones and stole everybody's best regens :lol:

Cost me ~£20 Million mind but I did get a Dutch region from Ajax on a free transfer then sold him a week later to Wolfsburg for £30.5 Million!
There are definitely hidden stats. I got one through that my staff said had the potential to be 3 Star. I now have the best staff in La Liga. He looked extremely average.

Then in the winter transfer window, Real come and big 10 million for him matching his release clause. I thought about letting him go but signed him to a new deal.

He has just been growing since then and they are now saying he can be 4 and a half star, basically 6 months later.

Berbaclass

There are definitely hidden stats. I got one through that my staff said had the potential to be 3 Star. I now have the best staff in La Liga. He looked extremely average.

Then in the winter transfer window, Real come and big 10 million for him matching his release clause. I thought about letting him go but signed him to a new deal.

He has just been growing since then and they are now saying he can be 4 and a half star, basically 6 months later.
Star rating is based on your staff and is dynamic. I tend not to pay much attention to it.

Berbaclass

When I'm finished with Sunderland I want to do something like manage the worst team in the worst league possible.

Berbaclass

Decided I'm going to do one of those 'youth to glory' saves with United.

The rules are I can only sign players younger than 20.

I can't play anyone who is older than 29.

I'm going to allow 30+ signings for mentoring purposes only, I'm not allowed to play them

Minkaro

Is this any good on iOS or Switch? A more portable version seems like it’d be fun.

sebsheep

When I'm finished with Sunderland I want to do something like manage the worst team in the worst league possible.
Decided I'm going to do one of those 'youth to glory' saves with United.

The rules are I can only sign players younger than 20.

I can't play anyone who is older than 29.

I'm going to allow 30+ signings for mentoring purposes only, I'm not allowed to play them
Bit harsh on United there. :lol:

Maluco

5th season

Out of Spanish Cup Atletico penalties

Out of Super Cup, away to Real

Lost 2-0 away to Barca, 1-0 away to Atletico

Season 6

Team is now very strong. Away to Barcelona and Real in first ten games....both 1-0 losses.

I just can’t set up to win against big teams away from home, despite having a good lineup now.

What is the secret!??

I have tried dropping defensive line, playing cautiously, lowering tempo, changing to a fluid counter system. Nothing works!

Any advice lads?

It feels like another CL is just a pipe dream as I fluked the first one!

TheReligion

Abusive
5th season

Out of Spanish Cup Atletico penalties

Out of Super Cup, away to Real

Lost 2-0 away to Barca, 1-0 away to Atletico

Season 6

Team is now very strong. Away to Barcelona and Real in first ten games....both 1-0 losses.

I just can’t set up to win against big teams away from home, despite having a good lineup now.

What is the secret!??

I have tried dropping defensive line, playing cautiously, lowering tempo, changing to a fluid counter system. Nothing works!

Any advice lads?

It feels like another CL is just a pipe dream as I fluked the first one!
My team isn't as far along or as strong as yours but I have a good record against the big teams and adjust my tactics from 2-3-1-4 attacking and expressive to losing a striker and adding another BWM to play in front of the back 4. I also go to control and disciplined.

So my set up is basically

GK
Back 4 (flat)
DM - DM (ball winning and DM)
CM
AMR - AML (inverted forwards)
CF (Advanced forward)

I keep the play narrow, look for offsides and leave temp high with closing down in own half.

Maluco

My team isn't as far along or as strong as yours but I have a good record against the big teams and adjust my tactics from 2-3-1-4 attacking and expressive to losing a striker and adding another BWM to play in front of the back 4. I also go to control and disciplined.

So my set up is basically

GK
Back 4 (flat)
DM - DM (ball winning and DM)
CM
AMR - AML (inverted forwards)
CF (Advanced forward)

I keep the play narrow, look for offsides and leave temp high with closing down in own half.
Thanks mate, that looks like a decent set up. Maybe the extra DM is something I should be looking at. My set up already is already quite defensive, but maybe the extra man defending will protect us when we go forward!

Lay

Going narrow always seems to help me in every FM I’ve played against the bigger teams. I won back to back CL’s with Villarreal by constantly playing narrow against bigger and better teams on a previous FM. Recall a famous 6-1 win at the Nou Camp after they had beaten me for the league 3 days prior

TheReligion

Abusive
Going narrow always seems to help me in every FM I’ve played against the bigger teams. I won back to back CL’s with Villarreal by constantly playing narrow against bigger and better teams on a previous FM. Recall a famous 6-1 win at the Nou Camp after they had beaten me for the league 3 days prior
I hope you got on the pitch and planted a flag in the centre circle at the Nou Camp saying "feck off Messi" at full time

TheReligion

Abusive
Thanks mate, that looks like a decent set up. Maybe the extra DM is something I should be looking at. My set up already is already quite defensive, but maybe the extra man defending will protect us when we go forward!
Will you let me know how you get on?
That along with keeping it narrow/control/discipline usually helps

Dan_F

Mid way through season four with Bath City and I’m definitely getting promotion into League One, unless I have some massive downturn in form. Also got another easy draw in the 5th round of the FA cup, so I’m really hoping for one of the big boys away if I win. Been trying to get this for the past three seasons, but the draws have been annoying.

Quite glad I missed the play offs by 1 point last season, as it’s really allowed me to strengthen the squad. Really getting a lot of fun out of this save, but it does seem a bit unrealistic to get three promotions in four seasons.

Downside is I’m staring at a computer for 8 hours a day at the moment, so I’ve had to give it a rest during the week, for the sake of my eyes and my body :lol:

Maluco

Will you let me know how you get on?
That along with keeping it narrow/control/discipline usually helps
I tried it in a few games but had to change it as I conceded and couldn’t get back into the game. I think my high line makes it risky and if I drop the high line, I give the other team too much space to play out.

I ended up losing 2-0 to Atletico using it, so that was 1-0, 1-0 and 2-0 losses against the big three, but managed to beat both Valencia and Sevilla away with my normal formation.

I won the Super Cup because I drew both Barca and Atletico on the “home side of the screen”. Am convinced this helps even in neutral games.

I avoided drawing the big 3 in the the Copa del Rey (Villareal were only other La Liga side we played) and beat Sevilla on pens in the final. We deserved to win, but we are better than them.

In the league, I went a bit mad and brought in Boadu and a CB regen from Porto and a RW regen from Bilbao in January and we were great from February on. Only lost once more and beat Barca 3-0 at home to seal the title on the penultimate match day. No big teams away from home bar the loss to Atletico.

In the Champions League, I tried the fluid counter tactic away to PSG and lost 2-1 before winning 1-0 at home with my own tactic. In the quarter final, we beat Barca 2-0 at home and again played the away leg with the fluid counter system and drew 0-0.

In the semi final, we beat United 3-0 in the home league and decided to just go at them in the away leg and lost 2-1.

The final was home side of the screen to Liverpool, where they dominated and my Basque regen came through with the only goal. Quality means you always have a chance!

They easily beat us in the world club cup a month later.

I think this was my first quadruple in FM history and it was uncertain every step of the way.

I still can’t beat any big teams away from home, but I will keep plugging away at it.

I have to sort out finances now and sell off some stars, but it’s definitely still competitive enough for me to keep going.

Maluco

Mid way through season four with Bath City and I’m definitely getting promotion into League One, unless I have some massive downturn in form. Also got another easy draw in the 5th round of the FA cup, so I’m really hoping for one of the big boys away if I win. Been trying to get this for the past three seasons, but the draws have been annoying.

Quite glad I missed the play offs by 1 point last season, as it’s really allowed me to strengthen the squad. Really getting a lot of fun out of this save, but it does seem a bit unrealistic to get three promotions in four seasons.

Downside is I’m staring at a computer for 8 hours a day at the moment, so I’ve had to give it a rest during the week, for the sake of my eyes and my body :lol:
It’s a time sink :drool: but that’s a great story with Bath! You must be really loving it. I think that idea that the club has done nothing before you, is great. Every step is a massive one.

I am thinking about starting in non league after this, or in League Two and trying to build up a very small club. It does sound like great fun.

Other choice is starting Sunday League rep and doing a journeyman to try and earn my way to a big side.

Going to keep going at this save until it’s conclusion though for now.

Jonno

Heres a bit of info at my first stab at FM in about 3-4 years (cheers lockdown for helping me produce such a long boring post!)

Manchester United Save

Season 1

This season was purely all about nicking a top 4 position to re-establish us as a Champions League club, and also to have a stab at a cup competition. Obviously I started recently so it included the likes of Bruno, Ighalo, Williams and Greenwood all ready to play in the first team, but I moved quickly in the transfer market to bolster the squad.

In:
Sancho £67m
Tonali £40m

Out:
Fred to OL £26.5m
Romero to Guangzhou £14.75m
Mata to OL for £19.75m
Matic to FCP £6m

I had a very good first season. The strongest side was approx:

DDG
AWB Maguire Tuanzebe Shaw
Tonali
Bruno Pogba
Rashford Sancho
Martial

Rotational players: Dalot, Tuanzebe, Williams, McTomminay, Lingard, Ighalo, James, Pereira, Greenwood​

League: 3rd Place
Cups: Europa League winners

We finished firmly in 3rd place behind Liverpool and City. We won the Europa League, and welcomed the CL back for my 2nd season.

Season 2
I decided to go much stronger in the transfer market, United are blessed with huge transfer kittys.

In:
Grimaldo £52m
Haaland £65m
Havertz £69m

Out:
Jones to Wolves £20m
Shaw to DL Pro £28m
Smalling to Roma £32m
Pereira to Leverkusen £36m
Sanchez to Lazio £17.25m
Lingard to Shenzhen £31.5m
Chong to Bordeoux £18m

Lots of deadwood getting cleared out for good prices, I only spent net £25m yet added a world class LB in Grimaldo to start ahead of a brilliant young Williams, Haaland to come and strengthen my front line, which was good for the europa league, but not to take on the PL and CL next season. My new best XI was roughly this:

DDG
Dalot Maguire Tuanzebe Grimaldo
Tonali
Pogba Havertz
Sancho Rashford
Haaland

Rotational players: Henderson, Bailly, AWB, Williams, McTomminay, Bruno, Greenwood, Martial
Dalot was world class and dislodged AWB when he got injured for 2 months, Tonali was a beast at DM, Havertz and Sancho were unreal, Rashford our top scorer, Greenwood scoring whenever he was brought in, Haaland, started very quietly, had a bad run, but turned on his beast mode in the 2nd half of the season, and what a 2nd half of the season it was:

League - Winners
Cups - CL Winners

Season 3:
I've just started season 3, and with winning the league and CL, I could afford to really go for some top long-term targets.

In:

Mbappe £105m
De Ligt £76m
Vandevoordt £23m

Out:
Bailly to Zenit £32m
Rojo to LOSC £12.5m
Martial to Milan on Loan £6m fee (tried to shift him for Mbappe all summer, but could only loan him for now)
Lindelöf to OL £32m

I've played half the season, we're into January 2022, this is my strongest side, give or take:

I've got a big, talented young squad now, it normally looks like this:

DDG
Dalot De Ligt Tuanzebe Grimaldo
Tonali
Pogba Havertz
Mbappe Sancho
Haaland​

So Far:

League
2nd place, 2 points behind Liverpool

Cups
World Club cup - Winners
European Supercup - Winners
Community Shield - Winners

Santos J

Well this is gonna be a fun summer trying to hold on to my best player ffs

Berbaclass

Never seen this mentioned anywhere before but I've come across a very interesting bug/glitch in the game just by chance.

Basically it allows you to glitch contract negotiations and get the player on very low wages. All I did was set the DOF to negotiate contracts on the staff responsibilities screen, you then have a bid accepted and the DOF will offer a contract.

I had very little in my wage budget and I wanted a player that wanted 11k a week and the DOF offered 1.1k. I basically just went into change contract negotiations after the DOF and pressed confirm and the agent agreed and I managed to get him on 1k per week :lol:

sebsheep

Never seen this mentioned anywhere before but I've come across a very interesting bug/glitch in the game just by chance.

Basically it allows you to glitch contract negotiations and get the player on very low wages. All I did was set the DOF to negotiate contracts on the staff responsibilities screen, you then have a bid accepted and the DOF will offer a contract.

I had very little in my wage budget and I wanted a player that wanted 11k a week and the DOF offered 1.1k. I basically just went into change contract negotiations after the DOF and pressed confirm and the agent agreed and I managed to get him on 1k per week :lol:
Cheater!

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Have succumbed to lockdown and bought Football Manager for the first time since my college days.

Toyed with starting with Sunderland but the club is in a pretty bad way and the owner wants out. Decided to go with Derby as I've never managed Rooney (never liked managing the established clubs) and they have some good young players. Brought in Gomes and Garner on loan from United and a young Polish full-back that can play on either side. Beat Huddersfield away first game of the season through a last minute Huddlestone screamer. Playing a 4-1-3-1-1 possession, narrow and we dominate the ball but not creating enough chances. Tom Lawrence broke his foot in training too.

Ludens the Red

That’s mad, not seen it anywhere on the sigames forum either .

Berbaclass

Picked this guy up for 12.5k when he was 16, joins me next year :drool:

Developing so well already!

Gonna be a ball playing CB for me with those technicals

Nickosaur

Picked this guy up for 12.5k when he was 16, joins me next year :drool:

Developing so well already!

Gonna be a ball playing CB for me with those technicals
Looks promising but not sure about playing centre back at 5'6"