Gaming Football Manager 2022

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Obviously since I posted that we now have 2 wins in 7 and are now only 2 points in front with one game in hand. :rolleyes:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I do think the only way to keep the game competitive is to use the in game editor. The AI can’t make good transfers themselves and end up with a squad full of 30+ aged players.

They also seem to struggle to develop younger players, more so this year as players age a lot better than they used to.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The AI can’t make good transfers themselves and end up with a squad full of 30+ aged players.
I think this is also what frustrated me about the Journeyman save I was doing. I don't want to go to every club and have to completely change the squad.

Nickosaur

I assumed my wage bill at Kuban was worst in the Russian 2nd division, but I've just checked the Detailed Team Stats page. I didn't realise how far behind I am...

Our salary per annum is £228K, bottom of the league. Alania are in 19th place, at £998K! Every other team in the division has a wage budget of over a million, the top team Orenburg has £3.83M.

Currently in 13th going into the winter break, but my squad depth is appalling. Actually relying on getting some decent youth players in the intake that can come straight in otherwise I'm fecked.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Won the league with 3 games to spare with a mix of a League 2/1 level side. I only have 2 or 3 players that are probably good enough for the Championship so it should actually start to be a bit more tricky for me next season, I hope.

Just announced we are searching for investors and suitable sites for a new stadium too. Nice.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I do think the only way to keep the game competitive is to use the in game editor. The AI can’t make good transfers themselves and end up with a squad full of 30+ aged players.

They also seem to struggle to develop younger players, more so this year as players age a lot better than they used to.
I just about scraped past a Lyon side in the CL that had a 36 year old TAA and a 35 year old Sancho. Their starting XI also had 5 other players over 34.

Lay

So Dusseldorf won the league with the press asking me if my loan player had outgrown them.. :lol: I won the Cup again anyway. However, Bayern sacked their manager after finishing third and want me as the replacement. Do I go or do I stick with Hertha?

sebsheep

So Dusseldorf won the league with the press asking me if my loan player had outgrown them.. :lol: I won the Cup again anyway. However, Bayern sacked their manager after finishing third and want me as the replacement. Do I go or do I stick with Hertha?
That start of the season team meeting is going to be a bit awkward. :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Reason 513512 for the game being stupid. Burnley signed my best player because he had a release clause in his contract but they offered to loan him back to me for the rest of the season. We accept. He signs for them, he comes back to us. My other RW is pissed off because his arrival might mean he gets less game time. HE WAS ALREADY AT THE FECKING CLUB.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

:lol:
I love saves like that. Being better than everyone for significantly less money.

Then at the opposite end of the spectrum, I remember 15 years into my Austria Wien save last year my B team wages were more than the entire top division combined :lol:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
What a season so far. As expected we are neck and neck with Ajax to retain the title, but the Champions League has been where the fun is at. I was hoping to get out of my group (Barca and Juve were in it) and we did with a last-minute goal against Barca on the final matchday. Breezed past an old and slow Inter team and ran into the City buzz saw in the quarter finals. Somehow drew 2-2 in the away fixture and ran/pressed them off the park in the home tie to advance to meet Bayern in the Semi's. Similar first leg (away, 2-2 draw) after which Nagelsmann was quoted as saying his team might find it difficult to get motivated by a team as inferior as Feyenoord. Blasted them 7-1 with Demir and Moukoko running circles around them and Gilmour scoring 2 worldies from 30+ yds out. Final is going to be against PSG or Real Madrid but who cares at this point as I am way ahead of schedule!

Completely missed his being mentioned earlier in this thread, but my scouts found Arezo and I signed him for 700K. Took him a bit to get settled but he is partnering Moukoko and they are a dream. Just hope I can keep ahold of them and Demir for another season or 2 while I finish building up my youth system and scouting. Another find was Daniel Ballard from Arsenal who has stepped in seamlessly for Senesi.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
So we are playing Madrid in the final. Took a look at their roster to begin planning and :lol: :nervous:.

- They have 14 players making more p/w then then my entire wage bill.
- They have the following forwards: Mbappe, Lewa, Vinicius Junior, Jovic, Benzema, Rodrygo, and Rahpina.
- They have 4 players valued over 40 million who they could not register for the Champions League do to roster size.
- That does not include Camavinga who I have loaned and who thankfully has a "can play against team" clause.

Berbaclass

I completely disagree but it is what it is.
I think if people are upset in regards to the tweet from SI then fair enough. I just don't personally see it as a massive deal.

YR is part of multiple factors that contribute to the quality regens. Changing that alone isn't really a huge change on reflection and I think people including myself are guilty of getting overexcited. I regularly do BAN type saves and I fully understand that you need to have things like the right game importance, facilities, economic factors in the nation etc.

I personally think they are in a weird spot of trying to make a realistic game and one that appeals to casual players. Let's assume DYR works as anticipated, how long should it take to increase the number and also how many people will actually be willing to put in 50 years in-game to get a somewhat marginal increase? My idea of it is that it should be very slow. I think over 15-20 years it should only really go up by 3/4/5 points. If it's too quick then it would take all of the enjoyment out of it and would be too easy and overpowered. That's what I meant when I said I thought they were being cautious. I think in the future they will make things like 'game importance' and 'economic development' dynamic in line with YR but to change them all at the same time could potentially have been game-breaking if they got it wrong si I understood why they appear to be somewhat cautious.

What I don't like about Zealand's video is he provided zero evidence that it didn't work (like he claimed) and basically just called them out. I can understand them not really being happy with him because it was pretty clickbaity and exaggerated. I've seen a clip of him on streaming basically saying what they said in the tweet wasn't really wrong.

You look at how it was marketed. It wasn't listed as a major feature and was tweeted by Miles as he does with the countless other smaller features. I really don't think calling them liars is fair. At the same time, I think they should now release something to clear all the confusion up that the whole thing has caused.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think if people are upset in regards to the tweet from SI then fair enough. I just don't personally see it as a massive deal.

YR is part of multiple factors that contribute to the quality regens. Changing that alone isn't really a huge change on reflection and I think people including myself are guilty of getting overexcited. I regularly do BAN type saves and I fully understand that you need to have things like the right game importance, facilities, economic factors in the nation etc.

I personally think they are in a weird spot of trying to make a realistic game and one that appeals to casual players. Let's assume DYR works as anticipated, how long should it take to increase the number and also how many people will actually be willing to put in 50 years in-game to get a somewhat marginal increase? My idea of it is that it should be very slow. I think over 15-20 years it should only really go up by 3/4/5 points. If it's too quick then it would take all of the enjoyment out of it and would be too easy and overpowered. That's what I meant when I said I thought they were being cautious. I think in the future they will make things like 'game importance' and 'economic development' dynamic in line with YR but to change them all at the same time could potentially have been game-breaking if they got it wrong si I understood why they appear to be somewhat cautious.

What I don't like about Zealand's video is he provided zero evidence that it didn't work (like he claimed) and basically just called them out. I can understand them not really being happy with him because it was pretty clickbaity and exaggerated. I've seen a clip of him on streaming basically saying what they said in the tweet wasn't really wrong.

You look at how it was marketed. It wasn't listed as a major feature and was tweeted by Miles as he does with the countless other smaller features. I really don't think calling them liars is fair. At the same time, I think they should now release something to clear all the confusion up that the whole thing has caused.
I think you raise some fair points here and it does toe the line when it comes to realism, but as we have all seen I imagine, it's possible to do some very unrealistic things. Your Austria Wien example and my current Dulwich save can attest to that. I know they're possible but in the real world the chances for that are slim. I think in regards to the YR going up slowly, I agree that should be an option, but there should probably be an option for players who don't go 20+ seasons deep. I think seeing a decent change at 10+ seasons would be fair as an option.

Berbaclass

I think you raise some fair points here and it does toe the line when it comes to realism, but as we have all seen I imagine, it's possible to do some very unrealistic things. Your Austria Wien example and my current Dulwich save can attest to that. I know they're possible but in the real world the chances for that are slim. I think in regards to the YR going up slowly, I agree that should be an option, but there should probably be an option for players who don't go 20+ seasons deep. I think seeing a decent change at 10+ seasons would be fair as an option.
It is a pretty weird balance that they are trying to find. As you say there are many things already in the game that are pretty unrealistic as it is. The main one being attributes. I'd like to see them 'refresh' the formula that dictates how and why quality regens are produced.

Will be interesting to see what their response is, whether they actually do make some kind of proper response and explain it properly outside of on the forum.

I'm quite curious to see how they handle Zealand in the future also, people have been sued for less and what he said is potentially defamatory. I think they'll freeze him out a bit and not give him early access like before.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
It wasn't to be, just too much depth for RM. We had a 1-0 lead going into the 75 minute but were gassed. RM brought on Raphina and Benzema and they scored or set up both goals. The only downside of being ahead of schedule is every single starter has "Wnt" next to their name now. Going to be a harsh summer window I think.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Time for me to rant about player happiness. Due to the 3 week gap between the end of my season and the CL final I had to schedule a few friendlies to keep my guys match fit. Not wanting to overwork them I was pretty free with my rotations because, you know, they were friendlies!!! So now Demir and Kokcu are unhappy because they are not getting enough playing time (they played all 90 in the CL Final) and neither will sign a new contract. They both have 25 mil release clauses. Damn it!

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
I'll give a proper Aberdeen update tonight when I get more time.

For now though. We're doing better than expected. Turns out when you have competent footballers in your control, you wins games fairly consistently.

The old firm don't know whats hit them, Anerdeen has hit them.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It is a pretty weird balance that they are trying to find. As you say there are many things already in the game that are pretty unrealistic as it is. The main one being attributes. I'd like to see them 'refresh' the formula that dictates how and why quality regens are produced.

Will be interesting to see what their response is, whether they actually do make some kind of proper response and explain it properly outside of on the forum.

I'm quite curious to see how they handle Zealand in the future also, people have been sued for less and what he said is potentially defamatory. I think they'll freeze him out a bit and not give him early access like before.
Agreed regarding them needing to come out with a video. The situation needs more nuance to it than a forum post, tweet or comment will allow. Yes, I think that the Zealand title was very Youtube but also very sueable.

sebsheep

Suing one of the biggest FM content creators over that would be a pretty daft thing to do. Though if we're judging by the fact they created a game where the press constantly suggest that your 40+ goal striker isn't a good fit for your team, I look forward to the court case.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Suing one of the biggest FM content creators over that would be a pretty daft thing to do. Though if we're judging by the fact they created a game where the press constantly suggest that your 40+ goal striker isn't a good fit for your team, I look forward to the court case.
I wouldn't be surprised if they squeezed him aka told him to change the title / remove the video.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Bétis Update

Into my 4th full season here now, and the shock of City pinching two of my best players hasn’t knocked us out of our stride. Al Nouri, Simpson, Higgins, Gavi, Rice and Vega have all settled well and make us very hard to beat.

Young player, Ruiz, a 525k signing from Peru, has given us a back up option to the incredible Silvio Luiz too. We probably need a 4th man in midfield, so hopefully we can get a loan in to keep players fresh in January.

We ended up selling Perez for 40 million near the deadline after a bidding war (the English boys arrival meant he wasn’t needed anymore), we used the money to being in Luca Netz, who has been a real disappointment so far.

League

We are 12 points clear going into the break and looking really solid. It looks like a 4th La Liga in as many years could be on. Our registration now allows us 1.8m p/w wages, which locks us out of the very best players in the game and makes the squad a constant juggling job.

Champions League

A group of Chelsea, Roma and Charleroi was gotten through with ease pointwise, but we still look shaken against the very best teams. We had to go very attacking after falling behind 0-2 at home to Chelsea (we won 3-2), and after getting through, I tested a more defensive set up away from home. We won 0-2, but have tried it in the league a few times against the big boys and it hasn’t looked good. Honestly don’t know what we do away from home in Europe. We didn’t win a single game away in Europe last season.

Other news…

I was offered the Dortmund job even though I didn’t apply. I also appplied for the Bayern job who were down in 8th. I rejected the former after an interview, waiting for the latter, and ended up with nothing after Bayern interviewed me, but plumped for Tuchel!

I am ready to move to a big team to try and win the CL and end the save. Bétis restrictions mean we can’t bring in those top players and have to do with an average GK (no quality ones are interested in us) and constantly be fending off interest in our players.

So, no new job, but I think this will be my final season here regardless. The World Cup is in the summer with England, so am hoping I can line up something to start after that.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
@Maluco Sounds like you need a bit of luck to crack Europe and you just aren't getting it yet! Definitely worth weighing up another project if you get the right offer.

As an aside, anyone ever had success with an AP in a CM role rather than AM? Struggling to make it work this year. I've actually had most success using CMs in the standard CM role funnily enough.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
24 games into the Championship season and we are top. We were around 9 points clear of 2nd too but we've just turned to absolute shite and lost 4 in a row. 3 were 1-0 and the other was 2-1. Our xG in all games was fine compared to the other team but yikes, first time I've been nervous about the job.

sebsheep

@Maluco Sounds like you need a bit of luck to crack Europe and you just aren't getting it yet! Definitely worth weighing up another project if you get the right offer.

As an aside, anyone ever had success with an AP in a CM role rather than AM? Struggling to make it work this year. I've actually had most success using CMs in the standard CM role funnily enough.
Currently set up with a 3 of

AP - - - Mez
BWM

Worked well for me at Slovan Bratislava, will have to see how in goes at CSKA. We did win our first game 8-0 though. :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Currently set up with a 3 of

AP - - - Mez
BWM

Worked well for me at Slovan Bratislava, will have to see how in goes at CSKA. We did win our first game 8-0 though. :lol:
:lol: it’s odd as aside from that we obviously do well with the tactic I use but I can never seem to get the AP to have a high rating or perform well despite everyone else in the team doing so.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
When I walked in to the Aberdeen training complex for the first time I was pleasantly surprised. Players that can play at a decent tempo and they don't seem to fear anything.

I felt that a 4-3-3 would suit the players that we had and my first game in charge resulted in a 1-7 demolition of Inverness and that was quickly followed up with a 3-0 victory over Dundee United and a 1-4 win away at Celtic.

We race on throughout the season and despite a media prediction of 6th, we are in the title race right up until the final week where we eventually surrendered the title at Ibrox in a 3-0 defeat. We followed up with a 4-1 defeat away at Hibs and that allowed St Mirren to overtake us and finish 2nd while Rangers took the title. We beat Celtic 1-0 at home on the final day to finish 3rd and the Rangers beat Ross County in the cup final and that was enough for us to qualify for the Europa League rather than the Europa Conference League.

My concern this summer is to add quality to the squad to take us to the title and try and hang in europe. I've been given a £2.2m transfer budget and £126k wage budget. It's going to be a hard ask and I feel that our European aspirations might just hold us back in the title race.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

I do:
PF (s)
IW (a) ------------------- IW (a)
DLP (s) ------- MEZ (a)
DM (d)
WB (s) BPD (d) BPD (d) WB (s)
SK (d)​

For a while I used an asymmetric one where one side would have a classic winger ahead of a fullback, and the side with the inverted winger to have a mezzala (with the midfielder on his stronger foot side to basically add to natural side width). Eventually player selection forced me into this but it works best so I've stuck with it.

The DLP and PF are the 2 positions who I always feel like don't do as well statistically as they should. Haller with Ajax in my first season and Lewandowski later as a striker were the only ones who excelled there, the rest are supporting roles for the wingers I feel like.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20

Yeah, it’s hard to explain. I can’t really complain because of the consistency of trophies (World Club Cup and Super Cup added already this season), but it’s hard to understand.

We are not beating Barcelona and Real Madrid regularly, but the big English teams just seem to be able to score too many goals against us. It has been Chelsea and United that knocked us out.

If I go for defensive formation and concede first, I could throw the tie, but if I stick with our normal one, it might just be the same old story!

Berbaclass

I do:
PF (s)
IW (a) ------------------- IW (a)
DLP (s) ------- MEZ (a)
DM (d)
WB (s) BPD (d) BPD (d) WB (s)
SK (d)​

For a while I used an asymmetric one where one side would have a classic winger ahead of a fullback, and the side with the inverted winger to have a mezzala (with the midfielder on his stronger foot side to basically add to natural side width). Eventually player selection forced me into this but it works best so I've stuck with it.

The DLP and PF are the 2 positions who I always feel like don't do as well statistically as they should. Haller with Ajax in my first season and Lewandowski later as a striker were the only ones who excelled there, the rest are supporting roles for the wingers I feel like.
I used to use IW’s but I switched to IF and AF and I was much better. I think the AF us the best ST role again.

sebsheep

I used to use IW’s but I switched to IF and AF and I was much better. I think the AF us the best ST role again.
I have 1 IW and 1 Winger with an AF. My IW players get quite a lot of goals. Haven't actually tried them as IF this save though.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I used IF's at the start but they just basically poached goals and didn't do much else. The balance with IW's feels better. I tend to switch up my striker to an AF, but yeah it does seem to be more consistent. I'm not sure how my team does overall but the striker definitely gets more goals.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

PL baaaaaaby. I need to stop using 4-3-3 wing play/pass into space tactics. They're too OP but they're my favourite in and out of the game. Created two tactics this year on my Journeyman and this one but both seem a bit too good with the right players. Might change it if we can become established in the PL.

We have a new stadium being built, 20k to be completed in 2028. Tiny compared to everyone else in the league but we move.

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The promise system is so frustrating. Most players are wanting a massive increase in wages due to the promotion to the PL and I'm happy to give it but still be reasonable. The promise is to offer a contract, it's not my fault you keep rejecting it.

Lay

I used IF's at the start but they just basically poached goals and didn't do much else. The balance with IW's feels better. I tend to switch up my striker to an AF, but yeah it does seem to be more consistent. I'm not sure how my team does overall but the striker definitely gets more goals.
Yeah they’re just glorified poachers. I hate using wide players now and just stick to a diamond midfield

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
My main GK comes to me wanting to start more games. He's played 10 of 11 PL games and 2 of 3 CL games.

He then complains that he can't trust me because I've broken promises before. Yeah cause the fecking system is broken! Even clicking how I'm sorry and I'll play him doesn't help and he now wants to leave. He's my starting GK, a Newcastle icon who has been here for 5 years, the best keeper in the world and has won 3 straight CLs with us.

Stupid fecking game.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Feels like easiest FM in years. I only play Man United, so my opinion is based on “easy” mode already.

In first season I managed 100 pts with only one loss. Won CL and League Cup. Lostin FA final.

I tried to recreate Rangnick’s 4-4-2. Attack, max pressing, much higher line of defense And engagement.

——————-Rashdord - AF, Ronaldo CF(a)
Sancho (IW)————————Bruno (AP)a
—————————————McT (btb———
——————Fred(DM)—————————-
Shaw(wb)a-HM(bpd)-Varane(Bpd)—AwB (wbd)

Ronaldo best scorer with 36 goals in 34 league apps and 16 assists
Rashford- second
Bruno had insane amount of assists averaging 0,8 per game