Gaming Football Manager 2022

Abraxas

What formation are you guys using so far? The usual 4231, that's been the staple for I don't even know how long in FM?
I'm trying a 4-3-3 narrow (essentially 3 strikers) at non-league level. Mainly just to see how it works because generally not having wide players has been bad in recent years which is logical as the game is less stretched, making it easier for the AI.

Seems alright so far, I just have the DLFs set to play wider so they're not on top of each other, and FBs on attack to maintain constant width.

Having 3 proper threats is nice but of course it does sacrifice some width and the dribbling ability of a winger.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Going well for me at Partizan. Found some great cheap Serbian players to bolster the team and we’ve just beaten Red Star at their own ground to take a 5 point lead at the top. Partizan haven’t won the league for about six seasons so would be good to do. Would be two straight league wins for me as well at different clubs.

Interesting rule in the Serb league that you need to have a home grown under 21 player in the XI at all times.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
3 central strikers with the outside 2 as PF(A) marking opposing LCB and RCB positions leaving the middle attacker free remains OP. TF or AF both dominate as roles for the central attacker. Bonus points for a SS behind it all.

Lorenzo Lucca is a monster.

Looking at trying a strikerless WCB tactic in my next rebuild save.

Abraxas

Absolute state of these results (against shite teams) when I just needed a win for the title. Always happens for me in FM, they just crumble. Now I have to beat the 3rd placed team away to guarantee it.

The Brendan Rodgers school of management. Least you got there in the end!

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Tried to sign Belotti, got to the start of the contract and it went a bit weird. It was on star player and when I suggested it to him he got annoyed and refused to speak to me. :lol:

Lebowski

First FM game I've played in years and I'm quite enjoying the new features.

I started by managing United and have won my first 9 in the league.

Playing a 'positive 4-3-3 DM wide vertical tiki taka', and whatever that means, Ronaldo and Pogba seem to love it. Both scoring a goal a game from left inside forward and mezalla. Wan Bissaka has turned into David Beckham too, I've scored about 10 identical goals where he crosses to Ronaldo on the far post who either buries it, or cuts it back for Pogba to volley home.

No idea how long I'll keep at it until I get bored, but it's been quite cathartic so far.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Ronaldo is incredible. Got 52 goals for me. Utd are definitely very strong. I signed Yves Bissuoma in the first window and won the league with 97 points, which was still only 1 more point than Liverpool who are incredible in it. I'll probably do one or two more seasons and then move on. I lost the CL semi's to City so maybe once I win a CL.

Also it really highlights how fecked our wage bill is. So many fecking players on crazy money with contracts not expiring for years :lol: Pretty much impossible to sell the likes of Jones, De Gea, and Matic. I did manage to offload Mata, Fred, Martial and a few others though.

Zen

Is it a good update on ... 2020?

And is ShopTo 28.85 instant the cheapest/fastest place to get the key?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

Depends on how long you're planning to play. Gamepass might be the cheapest because it's £1 for the first 3 months and the sub includes both FM 22 and the Streamlined version.

Then it's £8 a month afterwards so in theory you're still spending less within the first 6 months. (1+8+8+8 = 25)

Unless you're on Mac then you'll need a key as GP doesn't work on Mac.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Doing a build a nation in Norway with Kristiansund. Came 2nd in my first season which I'm very happy with (8 points behind Bode who are much better)

If I can get the signings right I can definitely put a good title challenge in.

Abraxas

Its a good update on 2020 yes because of the 3D match engine. Better movements, more dynamic in terms of the types of goals that happen - not just the same patterns you always used to see. I'd say that's a big difference given the time spent in match.

It's not a great update on 2021 at all IMO because all that came in last year. So I personally only upgraded because I have gamepass anyway.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Loving my Norway save at the moment. Teams are being unreasonable with loans though. Keep trying to loan players from United and City and they’re demanding 100% of their wages.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
This is my Sunday league journeyman save so far:

I'm fluent in English and Dutch, and know basic Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian and Montenegrin. I won both the league and cup with Partizan so I'm looking to leave but I didn't get any of the jobs I applied for, and most were sideways steps anyway.

I'm in the CL now with them so I guess I'll stay for now as it means I'll manage in the competition for the first time (If I make it past the qualifying stages), but I'm on the lookout for a new role.

sebsheep

Playing 3 at the back without WBs makes your CBs do weird things.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Took a leaf out of @Solius book and started a journeyman save. Got offered the Grorud job in the Norwegian 1st Division. Have half the season to get them promoted as they're sitting in 6th with the leagues top scorer.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Took a leaf out of @Solius book and started a journeyman save. Got offered the Grorud job in the Norwegian 1st Division. Have half the season to get them promoted as they're sitting in 6th with the leagues top scorer.
That’s decently high to start with. Did you give yourself any prior experience?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
That’s decently high to start with. Did you give yourself any prior experience?
Nope. When I say first division it’s not the top division in Norway. I also got offered a Welsh premier division job and South Korean (2nd division?) league job.

Lebowski

Ronaldo is incredible. Got 52 goals for me. Utd are definitely very strong. I signed Yves Bissuoma in the first window and won the league with 97 points, which was still only 1 more point than Liverpool who are incredible in it. I'll probably do one or two more seasons and then move on. I lost the CL semi's to City so maybe once I win a CL.

Also it really highlights how fecked our wage bill is. So many fecking players on crazy money with contracts not expiring for years :lol: Pretty much impossible to sell the likes of Jones, De Gea, and Matic. I did manage to offload Mata, Fred, Martial and a few others though.
Your game went basically the exact same way that my first season is shaping up.

Ronaldo is an unstoppable force of nature and has just won the Balon D'Or, the squad was basically perfect already and just needed a DM (I went for Rice who has been decent but not great), I have played 20 won 18 but still only 4 points ahead of Liverpool and City who are both battering everyone they play except United.

Also Dalot is really fecking good???

Oh and I've signed Mbappe on a free transfer. Next season as long as Ronaldo doesn't retire I reckon we'll win every match 9-0.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Won the league with Ajax in my first season, got hammered by Bayern in the CL quarter finals.. fine for my first season reputation. Took over Fiorentina right after the season. Going to tell Vlahovic he's staying no matter what, 5 year contract and seemingly no release clause, no way am I selling him at the start. Might have to eventually due to the awful budget they have. Anyone have any good/cheap right wingers (not inverted wingers) or right backs? Rest of the team seems alright.

Lay

Won the league with Ajax in my first season, got hammered by Bayern in the CL quarter finals.. fine for my first season reputation. Took over Fiorentina right after the season. Going to tell Vlahovic he's staying no matter what, 5 year contract and seemingly no release clause, no way am I selling him at the start. Might have to eventually due to the awful budget they have. Anyone have any good/cheap right wingers (not inverted wingers) or right backs? Rest of the team seems alright.
Bernadaschi (sp) is usually on a free in the second season. Not great but can do a job.

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
Is the xbox version the touch version? Or the full version? It doesn't feel like I've got the ability to do everything in it. It seems a bit too easy with United. I've only signed Rice, and I'm putting up some ridiculous numbers. We're averaging nearly 3 goals a game, Ronaldo has scored 29 in 22 games, and Bruno is an assist monster.

Had a couple of bad results, but the league looks like this

Crazy results

Player Stats

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Really enjoying this Sunderland save.

21/22 - 1st in League 1
22/23 - 6th in Championship, promoted via play-offs
23/24 - 19th in the Prem
24/25 - 1st in Championship
25/26 - Currently 9th in the Prem

Tried to get some United players to make it more fun. Currently have Teden Mengi, Di'Shon Bernard and just signed Hannibal for £4.25 mil (!!). Bernard is a beast - 9 in 37 apps last season and currently 7 in 24 this season.

Red Star One

On 2020 yes, new match engine is just better and changes here and there in terms of man management of players make it feel more natural. I’m playing pretty much every manager since CM 01/02 and last few FMs I played all, after over a week still enjoying 22 a lot.
Having a blast so far with Newcastle - unlimited money really with 200m starting budget and chairman always happy to provide with cash injection or a dodgy sponsorship if FPP in doubt. Decided to go for a long run and forcing a big facilities upgrades in the club, signing only young and prospective players plus bargains as initially the reputation of Newcastle is not so great and I don’t like overpaying guys that have peaked already, always loved the development. Managed to scrap the 4th place in first season, on course to repeat that in the second, some cup would be nice though. Gegenpress and dribbling as always feel overpowered and for me pretty much the only way to go.

Lay

Match engine is better but I’m seeing a lack of dribbling

Cloud7

Has anyone played the Mobile version of this? Is it any good?

Lay

Might be your tactics? Is it Tiki-Taka or something?

I've got wing play on and all I see is my players dribbling down the wing to cross the play in.
Nah, it’s my own tactics that I’ve used in previous FM’s. Majority of my goals tend to be quick one-twos with my striker and attacking mid or cross across the 6 yard box for a tap in.

I’ve changed it so I have actual wide players to see if there’s a difference, but not so much. I’ve seen maybe one dribble through the defence.

I noticed on the SI forums someone mention that having Mbappe is useless as his dribbling is redundant due to the ME. I noticed it more after I saw that comment

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Nah, it’s my own tactics that I’ve used in previous FM’s. Majority of my goals tend to be quick one-twos with my striker and attacking mid or cross across the 6 yard box for a tap in.

I’ve changed it so I have actual wide players to see if there’s a difference, but not so much. I’ve seen maybe one dribble through the defence.

I noticed on the SI forums someone mention that having Mbappe is useless as his dribbling is redundant due to the ME. I noticed it more after I saw that comment
That would make total sense. I picked him first in a weekly draft thing I do with some mates and he's been absolutely useless :lol:

I get the feeling LW/RW are kinda broken. If I put my midfielders back a bit in the classic LM/RM positions then they seem to more effective.

Last edited:

Lebowski

Even digital fake Liverpool are managing to annoy me - they beat me 10-9 on penalties in the league cup final, and followed that up by reversing a 5-1 away loss to Dortmund in the CL knock outs with a 5-1 home win and beat them on penalties too.

I'm tempted to buy the editor solely for the purpose of nerfing Origi because the lad has scored 30 goals in 18 games, including 6 in one game.

Lebowski

Really enjoying this Sunderland save.

21/22 - 1st in League 1
22/23 - 6th in Championship, promoted via play-offs
23/24 - 19th in the Prem
24/25 - 1st in Championship
25/26 - Currently 9th in the Prem

Tried to get some United players to make it more fun. Currently have Teden Mengi, Di'Shon Bernard and just signed Hannibal for £4.25 mil (!!). Bernard is a beast - 9 in 37 apps last season and currently 7 in 24 this season.
Wow, you're insanely far on.

Do you get your assistants to handle the admin intensive stuff like pressers, staff meetings etc or have just put a crazy amount of hours in?

I've got about 40 hours of play time but am only half way through my first season.