Gaming Football Manager 2023

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
This game keeps getting more absurd by the days

1. United can't sign more than 6 U21 (That's the wonderkids fun out of the drain)
2. 20M war chest
3. Extremely broken coaching rating. I get it we're far from La Massia but our coaches are a joke

So many things that used to be fun are now not fun, and unless I dwelve into in-game editor (which I think they kinda forced it down our throat) there's no way I can enjoy this game.

vangagal

1. United can't sign more than 6 U21 (That's the wonderkids fun out of the drain)
2. 20M war chest
3. Extremely broken coaching rating. I get it we're far from La Massia but our coaches are a joke

So many things that used to be fun are now not fun, and unless I dwelve into in-game editor (which I think they kinda forced it down our throat) there's no way I can enjoy this game.
Thats the league rule i think, only for foreign player u21. you can sign local player u21 as many as you want in a season.

Nickosaur

2. 20M war chest

To be honest the more I've played FM over the years the more dull I've found it to start at United (or any big club). Never takes long to win the league - and can often be done in the first season if you get the right players in.

Journeyman save (starting unemployed), or bringing a small club (e.g. Wrexham) all the way to the very top, are always the most fun saves for me.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
To be honest the more I've played FM over the years the more dull I've found it to start at United (or any big club). Never takes long to win the league - and can often be done in the first season if you get the right players in.

Journeyman save (starting unemployed), or bringing a small club (e.g. Wrexham) all the way to the very top, are always the most fun saves for me.
On this version with a a tactic I made you could get Everton into the top 4 by tweaking it slightly game to game and making sure you’re morale managing.

Abizzz

So I've got a bit of free time in the next month and decided to retry my addiction to this franchise. First step was to download the logo pack, any other content I should look into before starting a game?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Not been on this for a while. Might have to go on for few hours tonight. Forgot which games I have saved :lol:

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I had Hereford up in League One with a team of young Prem rejects. I think I will fire this up again and see if I can get them into the Prem.

I think I was competitive in League One when I left the save, is there anything i can do, or should do, to prepare for the Championship?

I think most of my players wouldn’t be good enough for that level. A few read as having “Championship potential”, but terrible facilities will make sure that doesn’t happen.

A few should bring in a nice bit of change though.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I had Hereford up in League One with a team of young Prem rejects. I think I will fire this up again and see if I can get them into the Prem.

I think I was competitive in League One when I left the save, is there anything i can do, or should do, to prepare for the Championship?

I think most of my players wouldn’t be good enough for that level. A few read as having “Championship potential”, but terrible facilities will make sure that doesn’t happen.

A few should bring in a nice bit of change though.
Believe it or not, I am still in the summer transfer window since I wrote this. Reputation is so tiny that I can’t get anyone to sign for me.

I have resorted to manually going through national teams and trying to find anyone decent with caps that can get a work permit.

Seeing other teams in the league snap up Hall, Chukwuemeka and Colwill for free on loan makes me wonder what this season is going to be like.

I have some really dodgy players and the loans that agreed to come to me are very raw with bare attributes and only the potential to play at this level. I am worried :houllier:

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Some pretty interesting stuff in here:

Mainly:
However, as a sneak preview, I can share progress that’s been made towards one of the most requested features from our forums over the last 20 years – and that’s the ability to transfer saved games from one version of FM to the next.
So, Football Manager 2025, FM25 Console and FM25 Touch will be our first Football Manager releases to use a new engine – Unity. Incredibly well-known in the gaming space, Unity powers many of the best-known games in the world, from Genshin Impact through to the Cities Skyline series. Project Dragonfly explored a number of game engine partners, but after all our research was concluded, Unity was the clear favourite to take us into an exciting new era for the series.

Leg-End

It’s all well overdue, but at least they are doing it. All sounds positive but the takeaway for me is why bother with FM24? May as well hold onto 23, get a data update and skip it unless the “new” features are amazing.

AaronRedDevil

I think ill get FM25. Always wanted to play these games. This seems like the right time.

Berbaclass

First look next year April-June sometime

By this point that I’m sure that most of you are asking the same question – when can we see what this all looks like? Well, as mentioned earlier, we've had resource on FM25 for some time now, building towards a key milestone at the end of 2023. So, this means we're aiming for the first major FM25 reveal in Q2 of 2024. Until then, the updates from the studio will be informing you all about Football Manager 2024 - and you'll be hearing more about that very soon.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Finally. Seems like the biggest change to the series in years but wish they'd have communicated this sooner. It was clear the 'new features' for FM23 were scraps and no love was put into them but they continue smashing that marketing machine. Just admit you couldn't fit things in as they weren't working. Being transparent would help their image so much more.

New newgen tech sounds good but we'll see what they end up producing.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Being transparent would help their image so much more.
agree. I think in the last couple of years there has been much more “mainstream” interest in FM and I wouldn’t be surprised if some new people have helped in regards to that because Miles is likely still as stubborn as ever.

Castia

Sounds like FM 25 could be the update we’ve all been waiting for

It’s about time

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
agree. I think in the last couple of years there has been much more “mainstream” interest in FM and I wouldn’t be surprised if some new people have helped in regards to that because Miles is likely still as stubborn as ever.
I still maintain he needs to go for it to dramatically improve.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I still maintain he needs to go for it to dramatically improve.
I think so too. I kind of like how aside from the being able to transfer over your save their sales pitch for the next game is basically FM25 will be good so buy FM24.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
In a nutshell, what are the major updates coming in FM25? I have no clue what Unity is or will bring. 3D match engines?

I used to love playing CM but I've not played in years. It started getting far more detailed and I didn't have the motivation to delve too deep, so stopped playing. I remember when they brought out FIFA manager though, and the 3D match engine made it good fun. I'd be tempted back if something like that came out.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
In a nutshell, what are the major updates coming in FM25? I have no clue what Unity is or will bring. 3D match engines?

I used to love playing CM but I've not played in years. It started getting far more detailed and I didn't have the motivation to delve too deep, so stopped playing. I remember when they brought out FIFA manager though, and the 3D match engine made it good fun. I'd be tempted back if something like that came out.
"FM25 will have a significantly better-looking matchday experience – both on the pitch and the supporting stadium environments, alongside a vastly improved user interface that will dramatically improve how you navigate through screens and access all the information available to you as manager. We’ll also have new technology for Newgens and manager creation which are already looking really promising at this early stage.”

Sounds like a bit of everything. I imagine they might be looking into AI generation when it comes to newgens so you won't need to install the Zealand facepack thing.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
"FM25 will have a significantly better-looking matchday experience – both on the pitch and the supporting stadium environments, alongside a vastly improved user interface that will dramatically improve how you navigate through screens and access all the information available to you as manager. We’ll also have new technology for Newgens and manager creation which are already looking really promising at this early stage.”

Sounds like a bit of everything. I imagine they might be looking into AI generation when it comes to newgens so you won't need to install the Zealand facepack thing.
Interesting. A management game where you have the visuals of FIFA (which was basically FIFA manager back in the day) would be more interesting. Then you can see your tactics unfolding in front of you and make the experience better.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Well you get the benefit of being able to play on the new game which has numerous upgrades.
Often there aren't numerous, if any, upgrades though.

I haven't bothered with FM23 but could play any of 20, 21 or 22 without really noticing anything other than updated squads and promotions/relegations.

In fact, I've gone back to FM21 because I got annoyed with the hardcoded locking out of Russia (and maybe Belarus but I don't wouldn't notice) in 22 and I wanted to mess about with a super league database.

Berbaclass

Often there aren't numerous, if any, upgrades though.

I haven't bothered with FM23 but could play any of 20, 21 or 22 without really noticing anything other than updated squads and promotions/relegations.

In fact, I've gone back to FM21 because I got annoyed with the hardcoded locking out of Russia (and maybe Belarus but I don't wouldn't notice) in 22 and I wanted to mess about with a super league database.
There are numerous upgrades every year, big or small.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
There are numerous upgrades every year, big or small.
Felt like they downgraded some shit in the recent version tbh. Slowly just more and more menus and pointless shit clogging it up.

Seems like they confirmed they had to make the newgen faces worse to match the 3D engine as well.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Felt like they downgraded some shit in the recent version tbh. Slowly just more and more menus and pointless shit clogging it up.

Seems like they confirmed they had to make the newgen faces worse to match the 3D engine as well.
Watching the lollujo video and he seems to suggest that FM23 is crap because they were meant to come out with all this new stuff around FM22 but then the pandemic happened and their plans all got messed up which is fair but they really should have just offered to do an updated database for minimal fee.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Watching the lollujo video and he seems to suggest that FM23 is crap because they were meant to come out with all this new stuff around FM22 but then the pandemic happened and their plans all got messed up which is fair but they really should have just offered to do an updated database for minimal fee.
Yeah whatever the reason they should've been honest.

If they'd have come out before and said "Look, we had big plans but the systems aren't working as well as we'd hoped. We will have to release the game without these features but it will be discounted until we can fix them. Also we know the newgen faes look worse each year, this is the reason, etc..." I'd have probably slagged them off less.

Miles came out acting like the shite they offered up was game-changing and they doubled down.

crossy1686

career ending
Used to love FM but it's become more a meeting simulator than anything else these days. Pre-match pressers, staff meetings, tunnel interviews, post match pressers, signing pressers, "someone said this about you" interviews, "so you're making a bid for x?" interviews etc. You spend hours just clicking through generic responses that mean very little to anything in the grand scheme of things. I get my assistant to handle pretty much everything from the interviews to the training so I can focus on actually playing the game, but even then you're dragged back into doing mundane email checking to make sure he didn't say or do anything stupid to upset half your squad.

There's realism and there's fun realism.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
They could integrate AI to improve so much of this game but I feel like in their hands they'd botch it.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Used to love FM but it's become more a meeting simulator than anything else these days. Pre-match pressers, staff meetings, tunnel interviews, post match pressers, signing pressers, "someone said this about you" interviews, "so you're making a bid for x?" interviews etc. You spend hours just clicking through generic responses that mean very little to anything in the grand scheme of things. I get my assistant to handle pretty much everything from the interviews to the training so I can focus on actually playing the game, but even then you're dragged back into doing mundane email checking to make sure he didn't say or do anything stupid to upset half your squad.

There's realism and there's fun realism.
I never wanted to let my assistant do it in case he messed up. That resulted in me always answering the same thing in similar situations which just made it busywork. Like you have an algorithm in your head for what to answer to each question depending on results etc.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
They could integrate AI to improve so much of this game but I feel like in their hands they'd botch it.
Totally, could be hugely immersive. Real living breathing world. However they can't even get realistic transfers or squad building for AI teams. Isn't there also still an issue with no regen fullbacks being able to cross or did I make that up?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Totally, could be hugely immersive. Real living breathing world. However they can't even get realistic transfers or squad building for AI teams. Isn't there also still an issue with no regen fullbacks being able to cross or did I make that up?
No that's been an issue for many editions of the game.

stepic

what about the actual game engine and AI? the worst part of FM lately for me is how easy it is, and how stupid the AI squad building is. give it 10 seasons and basically every team is full of old men, and it's just a walk in the park. hopefully Unity creates more intelligent AI along with the nicer graphics (which are a bonus really).

Last edited: