Gaming Football Manager 2023

Hephaestus

Just had a 2 legged european tie where my team managed 6.65 xG compared to exactly 2 for my opponents. Lost 6-4 on aggregate. All 6 conceded came in the second leg from 1.99 xG. My laptop came this close to getting hurled out the window.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Anguissa announces at the start of the season that he will only be happy at the club (Marseille) if we win the CL. He needs to be playing with better players you see. (A 5 star keeper, Militao, Mount, Gravenberch, Endrick and Moukoko not impressing him)

Goretzka has already signed on a pre-contract for the same reason (to Porto of all teams). A last minute goal by my lumbering left back puts us past Inter before we beat Newcastle home and away on route to a final with Liverpool.

Despite being absolutely crap (every time the script wants a loss, it seems to tank keeper and Moukoko/Endrick), we won 3-0 with a pen, header from a corner and a last minute breakaway.

Literally the night of the win, with the champagne still in his hand, Anguissa, after spending the whole season on a yellow arrow, tells me he is happy to stay!

Transfer listed, offered to clubs, with his post-match meal still warm. Unbelievably, a bidding war ensues and we get £41 million for a player that will be 33 in 6 months with declining physicals.

That is a seriously satisfying double win.

saik

Apparently my team can't score penalties since the patch.
Can confirm. They fecked something with penalties. Missing loads of penalties across different saves. Even a guy like Bruno with very high penalty taking attribute is missing loads.

NoLogo

Just had a 2 legged european tie where my team managed 6.65 xG compared to exactly 2 for my opponents. Lost 6-4 on aggregate. All 6 conceded came in the second leg from 1.99 xG. My laptop came this close to getting hurled out the window.
I almost broke something when in my second season with Manchester United I beat Liverpool 5-0 with a superb performance, keeping them under .5 xG while being myself over 4 xG. Now the return leg comes, I concede in the first second from an outrageous Salah goal and already know I'm in for a ride. End of the story, I lose 0-6 while having an xG of 3 just as Liverpool only difference Alisson ended the game on an 8.5 rating, de Gea on a 5.6 rating. I came within an inch of smashing my keyboard and mouse, saved and closed the game and didn't return to it for like a month. :lol:

NoLogo

They have definitely nerfed Advanced Forwards and attacking play in general. I score 20-30 goals less than I was before in terms of the team and my forwards go on stinking runs of 6.0-6.5 ish and then purple patches. Might need to tweak the tactic a bit.
Playing a 5221 and my AF is scoring for fun actually, 52 league goals last season. I have to admit though, it's Mbappé. :lol:

NoLogo

I also find it quite funny how badly Guardiola and Klopp are doing in my game.

Guardiola got sacked in 2024 by City, was hired by Spain and sacked 2 years later after a series of bad results, no trophy won. After that he gets hired by RB Leipzig, doesn't even last until the end of the year and gets sacked for losing the confidence of the dressing room. December 2027 he gets hired by Liverpool who have just sacked Klopp for turning them into a midtable team. Guardiola doesn't even last 12 months before getting sacked due to being shite. Now in 2029 he got hired by Napoli, who are Italian champions, let's see how long he will last this time. :lol:

Klopp lasted longer but wasn't all that successful anymore, only winning one more Carabao Cup in 2026. In November 2027 he gets sacked after the team is firmly embedded in the PL midtable by then. June 2028 he gets hired by Real Madrid, gets sacked at the end of the season, finishing 4th and winning no trophies. Now he got hired by Germany as a national team manager, let's see if he does better there. :devil:

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Love stuff like this in the game:

Decent (real) youth prospect Romain Esse has had a decent (newgen) youth prospect brother come through the academy.

Red Star One

Love stuff like this in the game:

Decent (real) youth prospect Romain Esse has had a decent (newgen) youth prospect brother come through the academy.

Love these too. I've done what must have been over a hundred seasons in the last few years of playing FMs and never really got to have my own son as a regen, but I saw this is also possible :lol: I'd probably save load until he spawns with 190PA+ if it happened to me

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Love these too. I've done what must have been over a hundred seasons in the last few years of playing FMs and never really got to have my own son as a regen, but I saw this is also possible :lol: I'd probably save load until he spawns with 190PA+ if it happened to me
Yeah, never had that happen either, and if it did, he'd be nailed on to be a pub level player. :lol:

I did have a save a few versions ago where Laurent Blanc's newgen son was the best midfielder in the world, though.

mu4c_20le

Gonna give this another go with the winter window update. Took over from Ten Hag in Feb with the club in 8th place and 11 points from top 4. Sunday league footballer, no coaching badges, just a regular joe from the stands who thinks they could do better.
Dragged us to a 3rd placed finish, won the Carabao Cup, lost the Europa final to Lazio. Won the FA Cup vs Spurs.

Beat that Erik :cool:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This game definitely sometimes just decides you will lose and nothing you do will change it. Was doing a random save as United with the new update and just flying through, went like 10 games without conceding a goal and then went on a 4 game drawing streak, fine whatever. Then came a game against Southampton, lost 5-0 out of nowhere. Said feck it and save scummed. Loss again, 3-0 this time. Figured feck it I will just keep restarting it until I get a result as I'm not really committed to this save like my original one that is in the mid 2030's where I just refused to save scum.

I've changed tactics, changed players in the team, they've gotten red cards in some of them, but I think I've lost 10 times in a row to fecking bottom half Southampton :lol:. All of them result in them battering me with xG too. I don't get it. Feels broken.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Started a journeyman with the new update. Sunday league etc. Took over Pontypridd. They were bottom of the league. Ended up finishing mid-table and I'm now top of the league with a couple of games left in the next season. Welsh league is quite easy to be one of the top teams. feck Haverfordwest though. Doesn't matter what the game is, I lose every time.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Won two Welsh league titles and made it to the EL proper. Scraped through to the playoff for the knockouts but got pumped by Anderlecht. Managed to make 7m for the club though which will put them in a good place for the future.

Resigned at the end of the season to try and step up. Struggling to get another job...

Everyone I apply for says that they are unsure because apparently I don't utilise set pieces enough.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Won two Welsh league titles and made it to the EL proper. Scraped through to the playoff for the knockouts but got pumped by Anderlecht. Managed to make 7m for the club though which will put them in a good place for the future.

Resigned at the end of the season to try and step up. Struggling to get another job...

Everyone I apply for says that they are unsure because apparently I don't utilise set pieces enough.
Are you using the corner tactics?

Abraxas

Started a game in Tier 11 just to see what it's like. There is a new team in Manchester....the brilliantly named Manchester Gregorians.

It's a bit...daft. Every free agent going is substantially better than the division average. I've thrown them out there in a 3-4-1-2 formation with short passing, intense pressing, a half back and a Segundo Volante which very few players at this level are suited to. We're still pissing it.

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
I play the mobile version which I know is very slimmed down and much different (used to play fm years ago).

Anyway I'm in my 12th season with Scarborough and my first season in the Premier league. Sitting top of the table with 5 wins, 3 draws and 1 loss. Have a top of the table clash with Arsenal next. Also just knocked united out of the league cup.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'm thinking of starting an FM experiment I can leave running in the background while i'm working.

Each user can take over a club in League 2 and alter them to their liking in terms of name, logo etc. The user can also choose 3 marquee players for that level (I'll find the average CA/PA and can be assessed on that). Each user can also place a player within that club which will be fixed to stay and with -10 potential.

Thoughts? Any suggestions on how to make that better?

sebsheep

I'm thinking of starting an FM experiment I can leave running in the background while i'm working.

Each user can take over a club in League 2 and alter them to their liking in terms of name, logo etc. The user can also choose 3 marquee players for that level (I'll find the average CA/PA and can be assessed on that). Each user can also place a player within that club which will be fixed to stay and with -10 potential.

Thoughts? Any suggestions on how to make that better?
Will they be starting with similar finances?

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong in terms of getting the proper United logo to show. I have downloaded the Megapack without United, then separately downloaded the United one and copied into the main logos folder. I have unticked cache and reloaded skin but still not showing in game?

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong in terms of getting the proper United logo to show. I have downloaded the Megapack without United, then separately downloaded the United one and copied into the main logos folder. I have unticked cache and reloaded skin but still not showing in game?
It's been months since I did this for the first time, so I might be completely wrong, but did you rename the file to whatever number United is in the database?

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Coincidentally I did this earlier today. As @Globule said you need to rename the file to match Utd's ID (680) and make sure the config file is updated to include a line referencing ID 680 too. You can do that in Notepad.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Did that guys but still wasn't working. Managed to figure it out though - I had 2 folders containing logos, one just sat within the FM23 folder and another within a graphics folder in there. Sorted now!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’ve still basically not touched this since release. FM24 will have to show some serious progress I think or I’m done.

Halftrack

Got back into FM for the first time since 2016, and I'm having a blast so far. Took over Sheffield Utd and am 15 points clear in February. Smashed Everton in the FA Cup, and beat Spurs and United in the League Cup (1-1 in the first leg at home, then 4-2 in the return leg at OT with the spawniest hattrick ever from Billy Sharp, including an overhead kick from the edge of the box).

I don't like the thing where managers will get in touch to whine about how you use your loan players. I had Chukwuemeka on loan from Chelsea. Agreed to play him in the middle, but other players' form and injuries meant he often played more advanced. He was in great form and developing nicely, but I still had Potter on the horn twice a month demanding to know why I wasn't keeping to our agreement. I gave the same answer every time, "he plays there a lot, doesn't he?" and got the same response from Potter: "aight, fair enough." Then they recalled him in January. Eddie Howe was on my back as well, about Mark Gillespie "playing in the wrong position" because I played him as a sweeper keeper while Foderingham was injured, but at least he shut up once Gillespie was back on the bench.

And an observation: Arsenal are in 7th with no real hope of CL football. Which makes sense, given where they were at when the players and managers were rated for this version. It's very surprising to me though, because back when I last played FM they were infamous for being wildly overrated in version after version.

saik

And an observation: Arsenal are in 7th with no real hope of CL football. Which makes sense, given where they were at when the players and managers were rated for this version. It's very surprising to me though, because back when I last played FM they were infamous for being wildly overrated in version after version.
Don't be surprised if the win the league soon. They might just be having the odd scripted poor season that every top club in this game goes through. Martinelli, Saka, Odegaard, Saliba, Ramsdale are all world class in this version. And 90% of the time they sign Manuel Ugarte who turns out world class as well.

Blood Mage

Defies belief how bad the 3D match engine still is. How does Winning 11 have a better match engine when it's a free mobile app? :lol:

Apart from that, it's decent. Tactics and player instructions feel more responsive than ever.

Tiber

Been playing loads on Steam Deck, most time I have spent in FM in years

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I’ve still basically not touched this since release. FM24 will have to show some serious progress I think or I’m done.
This is how I've felt for a while now. Every new version is plagued by the exact same issues as the preceding one all while adding more stuff I don't care for. And I hate the social interactions where everyone seems to be completely unreasonable.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
This is how I've felt for a while now. Every new version is plagued by the exact same issues as the preceding one all while adding more stuff I don't care for. And I hate the social interactions where everyone seems to be completely unreasonable.
It's just incredibly vacuous. Every year we joke about the new 'features' but it's true. 16 more pointless press conference questions added about the latest buzzword in football (let's say expected pressures per game or some shit) and a promises system left untouched where your player gets mad because you promised Europa and you got CL. Idiotic and lazy.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's just incredibly vacuous. Every year we joke about the new 'features' but it's true. 16 more pointless press conference questions added about the latest buzzword in football (let's say expected pressures per game or some shit) and a promises system left untouched where your player gets mad because you promised Europa and you got CL. Idiotic and lazy.
Feel similarly about the new features. I wasn't planning to get the next one but if we get relegated it will probably be enough to suck me in.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I've had a fun save doing a journeyman. Took over Pontypridd mid season and led them to 6th in the league. Won back to back titles and got to the EL knockout stage in my second full season. Resigned and took over Venezia in Serie B where I led them to 2nd in the league but finances were fecked so didn't fancy getting into a Serie A relegation battle. Took over Eupen in the Belgian league and won back to back titles, the Belgian cup and got to the CL knockouts. Have just resigned and took over Frankfurt in 28/29!

Last edited:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Same for me. This was the first version I have not purchased in probably 20+ years. Part of that is an ever diminishing free time to play, but the majority is that the same bugs piss me off every year and are never fixed (I’m looking at you match engine).

FM, or more precisely its CM origin, are the main reason I am a Utd fan. I downloaded a ripped copy back in 02 thinking it was an American football (NFL) management game. I always loved playing football, but the lack of coverage of the European leagues in the US made it difficult to even care about them. CM was like a gateway into another world. The next year 3 things happened to bind me to Utd: a) I purchased my first copy of CM, b) Fox Sports World showed up on my channel listing, and c) Tim Howard was transferred to some team in Manchester who I only knew of because Beckham played there. The rest is history. All of this is to say that nostalgia was probably the driving force to purchase the last few versions, and now even that has run out. Hopefully 24 brings major improvements, but I doubt it.

Last edited:

Lay

One of the worst is a player moaning you didn’t send him on loan when he’s been playing regularly for you :lol: the game has so many broken facets.

I haven’t had any FOMO over FM23 so it seems I’m done with it. Plus the game is too easy, unless you set yourself rules and sort out AI transfers yourself, it’s an easy game especially after 5 years or so.

I have no desire for FM24 and that’s strange since I’ve been playing it since FM08