Gaming Football Manager 2023

Leg-End

Would everyone who played 22 still say not to bother with this years one? Seemed to be the consensus on release anyway. It doesn't look like it changed much.
It hasn’t but there are some decent tweaks, if you can get it for £20 it’s worth getting. Depends how into your 2022 saves you are.

NoLogo

Anyone else find themselves always at war fighting against their team? Like I think I have been manager of Dortmund for 8 months and broken already 100 promises, they completely hate my guts. Main reason for broken promises, contract negotiations, because everyone wants a new contract asking for stupid stuff, players wanting to get out on loan and turning down loan offers and being angry about me not accepting the "finge player" status offers.

Players train like a bunch of lazy bums but oh dear are they angry if I demand they train properly, same goes for players getting low 6er ratings in a row, how dare I criticize them. :lol:

Oh and I can't keep this fecking squad fit, a starter gets injured on average every 2 weeks, they are all injury prone as hell, it feels like I have to completely change the squad to ever achieve anything with these numpties.

On top of that my DoF is completely useless, he never managed to negotiate a contract with any player ever. I'm on the verge of just sacking him and saving his wages, useless twat.

saik

Anyone else find themselves always at war fighting against their team? Like I think I have been manager of Dortmund for 8 months and broken already 100 promises, they completely hate my guts. Main reason for broken promises, contract negotiations, because everyone wants a new contract asking for stupid stuff, players wanting to get out on loan and turning down loan offers and being angry about me not accepting the "finge player" status offers.

Players train like a bunch of lazy bums but oh dear are they angry if I demand they train properly, same goes for players getting low 6er ratings in a row, how dare I criticize them. :lol:

Oh and I can't keep this fecking squad fit, a starter gets injured on average every 2 weeks, they are all injury prone as hell, it feels like I have to completely change the squad to ever achieve anything with these numpties.

On top of that my DoF is completely useless, he never managed to negotiate a contract with any player ever. I'm on the verge of just sacking him and saving his wages, useless twat.
Oh yea, always. Doesn't matter the level of your league, the level of your team players constantly moan.

How is it reasonable that you ask for a new contract after just 1 season and you still have 4 years left on your £200k/w contract? Get fecked.

And all the dialogue is so passive aggressive too. Like players saying have you been to the optics when you criticize their performance or the board asking you to not waste their time when you ask to study for coaching qualifications. I'm dead cert Miles has written those himself personally.

But hey, none of these matter though. Have some more pointless meetings which no one asked for.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
So having played this a lot recently and watching the round table video by Doctor Benjy, I have to say that i firmly agree with them all in terms of the match engine/graphics situation. I've got two saves going on at the moment - one with Forest Green where I am in the PL in c. 2030 and one with my home town team in Scotland who are in the 7th or 8th tier of Scottish football.

The match engine definitely plays differently depending on what league you're in which I suppose is fair as the quality in the leagues is different, but the graphics or what the match engine shows you needs to be improved. Too many instances of defenders making awful mistakes that just wouldn't happen in a game (I.e a player deciding to just stop or players morphing through each other) occur in the lower leagues. They definitely need to fix the lag between what the code is telling the match engine to do and what the graphics are showing because it ruins the game at times.

I think SI need to have a long look at what they're going to do with the game as I think in the current state they're going to lose regular annual buyers of the game. I think they should probably release a game every two years and just give regular transfer/bug updates to it because the changes aren't enough to warrant yearly releases when there are glaring major issues not being addressed.

Last edited:

NoLogo

So having played this a lot recently and watching the round table video by Doctor Benjy, I have to say that i firmly agree with them all in terms of the match engine/graphics situation. I've got two saves going on at the moment - one with Forest Green where I am in the PL in c. 2030 and one with my home town team in Scotland who are in the 7th or 8th tier of Scottish football.

The match engine definitely plays differently depending on what league you're in which I suppose is fair as the quality in the leagues is different, but the graphics or what the match engine shows you needs to be improved. Too many instances of defenders making awful mistakes that just wouldn't happen in a game (I.e a player deciding to just stop or players morphing through each other) occur in the lower leagues. They definitely need to fix the lag between what the code is telling the match engine to do and what the graphics are showing because it ruins the game at times.

I think SI need to have a long look at what they're going to do with the game as I think in the current state they're going to lose regular annual buyers of the game. I think they should probably release a game every two years and just give regular transfer/bug updates to it because the changes aren't enough to warrant yearly releases when there are glaring major issues not being addressed.
The major problem imo is that they have no serious competition in the space of football manager games. If there is no competitor pushing them to develop a better product.

On top of that I reckon it's a problem that the game is essentially still running on a very old game engine, no idea when they completely revamped the entire game engine but at this stage it might be 20 years old and given the fact that they simply can't fix certain bugs that have been in the game forever it feels like they have incurred a large amount of technical debt that significantly reduces the amount of new things they can still introduce to the game.

Which means at this stage they would probably have to make a completely new football manager game.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The major problem imo is that they have no serious competition in the space of football manager games. If there is no competitor pushing them to develop a better product.

On top of that I reckon it's a problem that the game is essentially still running on a very old game engine, no idea when they completely revamped the entire game engine but at this stage it might be 20 years old and given the fact that they simply can't fix certain bugs that have been in the game forever it feels like they have incurred a large amount of technical debt that significantly reduces the amount of new things they can still introduce to the game.

Which means at this stage they would probably have to make a completely new football manager game.
I’d be quite happy if they released a game which was the last of this engine and skipped a season or two (aka they just offered transfer and league updates for it) if it meant they fixed a few issues and upgraded it. I’d be surprised if many others weren’t.

NoLogo

I’d be quite happy if they released a game which was the last of this engine and skipped a season or two (aka they just offered transfer and league updates for it) if it meant they fixed a few issues and upgraded it. I’d be surprised if many others weren’t.
Oh, no doubt we would be, I probably think that SEGA wouldn't be though. Things like that are often not even in the developer's hand because they might have contracts that with their publisher that demand yearly releases.

The only hope that remains is that the publisher can see past it's quarterly needs and think about the long term benefits it would bring to their franchise, given my experience with corpos that is seldom the case though.

2E_MUFC

Was going to skip it this year. But tempted to get the PS5 version so it’s easier to play online with mates. Has anyone played it yet? If so how is it? Only thing is I have ocd about the badges etc but I guess I’d have to just put up with it.

SirAF

Ageist
Was going to skip it this year. But tempted to get the PS5 version so it’s easier to play online with mates. Has anyone played it yet? If so how is it? Only thing is I have ocd about the badges etc but I guess I’d have to just put up with it.
Badges is one thing, but "Man UFC" is not on at all :lol: The main reason I got it on Mac instead!

2E_MUFC

Badges is one thing, but "Man UFC" is not on at all :lol: The main reason I got it on Mac instead!
Haha! True but that’s the clubs fault unfortunately. I usually would get it on PC too be fair. But I am tempted by the PS5 version this year.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Finally got this and going to NLTL save straight away. No badges/no experience and starting unemployed.

After a few months and a few failed interviews, I landed on my feet at Hereford with a decent wage budget of 11.500 a week!

Cue the endless trials! Managed to get hold of an LB, CM and two AMC that have the potential to be league one players. Also got in 3-4 good enough to be in the division above.

We have started flying, even going to league leaders Flyde and winning 1-2! As it stands, we were bottom half and quite a bit off the pace, but we have turned it around and are into the playoffs at the turn of the year.

I think we can catch Flyde, but the unattached players have dried up and we have no money to spend.

I do think we genuinely have the best first team in the division though, so if they slip up, I think we can catch them!

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Should be banned, then half this forum would have to watch the real thing to base their opinions on reality not fantasy!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
As a tool, some fans use it as base of their knowledge
I don't think the majority do, but even if it is the case, it isn't a bad base to take knowledge from. Each club in the game is extensively scouted and qualified in terms of their attributes. It is not going to be perfect in terms of rating players, but it's very good as another facet of determining player quality. I've seen you dismiss xG and other statistical analysis in another thread when that is also used by top teams and managers to assess certain facets of recruitment and tactics. It isn't as simple as what your eyes tell you. Data is a fundamental part of modern football.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I don't think the majority do, but even if it is the case, it isn't a bad base to take knowledge from. Each club in the game is extensively scouted and qualified in terms of their attributes. It is not going to be perfect in terms of rating players, but it's very good as another facet of determining player quality. I've seen you dismiss xG and other statistical analysis in another thread when that is also used by top teams and managers to assess certain facets of recruitment and tactics. It isn't as simple as what your eyes tell you. Data is a fundamental part of modern football.
As part of the process there's nothing wrong with xG etc - but a lot of folks seem to base their entire opinions on it, IMO one of the problems of stats is that they do not provide context, according to some, DDG is one of the worst goalkeepers in the PL based on stats, now he's certainly not the best keeper in the PL but one of the worst, I don't think so - any way that's my opinion and that's all it is

paulscholes18

Few little bugs here and there. Saying the player coming in as a sub is being replaced by the player coming off, stuff like that.

Ronaldo currently has 36 goals in 26 games for me by February so far though, so take it for what you will.
Benzema scored 53 in 52 for me 1st season and currently scored 16 in 11 this season

Skizzo

Benzema scored 53 in 52 for me 1st season and currently scored 16 in 11 this season
He ended up with 61 in total for the season playing as a poacher.

Lost out on the title on the last day of the season.
Tied on points with Liverpool and I had a better goal difference by one. I played at home and won 3-0. They played away to Chelsea and won 6-0 :mad:

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
As a tool, some fans use it as base of their knowledge
Even if we accept your strawman (which we don't, it's a twat and called your mum a ****) a lot of clubs are appointing FM experts within their data and scouting networks, RDF Tactics just got made a video scout for Dinamo Tiblisi for one, Will Still became a coach off the back of his love for FM. There are various scouts in the Polish system who were accomplished FM players first.

Do tell us which job you have in football?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Nabbed a young keeper from Bodo/Glimt. He's got 16 caps and is Norway's starting keeper at 18 :lol:

Paid 7.5 Million. He's a bit good

No Love

Nabbed a young keeper from Bodo/Glimt. He's got 16 caps and is Norway's starting keeper at 18 :lol:

Paid 7.5 Million. He's a bit good

Struggling to find a decent skin. Which one is this and where can it be found?

saik

I'm using the Tato skin there. Can be downloaded on FM Scout
Absolutely love that skin and been using it since FM20 I think. Also, that value range is a dead give away that he is awesome.

Seems like the value ranges made it obvious who has great potential and who does not. It also reflects in the value of release clauses they demand if you are a small club.

saik

Also, it appears that I'm destined to get 1 awesome Belgian right winger in every save. :lol:

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Absolutely love that skin and been using it since FM20 I think. Also, that value range is a dead give away that he is awesome.

Seems like the value ranges made it obvious who has great potential and who does not. It also reflects in the value of release clauses they demand if you are a small club.
True

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

A fun title race. 3 of my losses were against the Old firm too. I'm David Moyes in disguise.

saik

Anyone find Liverpool to be massively overrated in this game? Apparently their scouting team can do no wrong.

They literally hover up all the best wonderkids in the game and they all rot away their careers in their U21 team. The annoying part is these players will still sign new contracts with them even though they haven't played a first team game in 4-5 years so they can ask 50-60m for each of them. Because, why not. It's fecking infuriating.

Not saying other big clubs don't do this but they are more hit and miss with the players they sign. Not Liverpool though. They sign only the 170+ PA wonderkids.